TL vs. RDX ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
TL vs. RDX ?

Question for you, particularly If you have driven both 4th gen TL and RDX:
Are all RDX "AWD"? (That is, is there an RDX model that is only FWD?)
What is the comparison between driving a TL or an RDX?
I like the TL (we have fwd only) especially on the highway. It is heavy but it is fast. Feels a bit ponderous in tight situations.
I really like the Acura interiors. (Previously had a wonderful Integra as well.)
I'm curious about the RDX. I would buy a fwd version if there is such a thing. My feeling is the AWD adds unneeded weight and complexity.
What is the general consensus? Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
IMO, if it is a SUV, it must be a AWD.

current generation RDX is not SH AWD, it is crv piece of cutting cost junk AWD.

Again, Honda is the only manufacturer cutting off the product line and replace the core tech with cheaper one in the market nowadays.

Test driving the fwd crv, it is 95% same as rdx if you want the fwd rdx

Last edited by lltfly; 01-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
I have both the 14 SH AWD TL and the 16 RDX AWD.

I love both vehicles. The SH handles better but the RDX hanged great too. The 16 runs really smooth and isn't a harsh ride. Suspension isn't as stiff as if it were to have the SH AWD suspension. Just depends on what you're looking for in terms of needs. The 1st gen RDX does come with the SH AWD and 2.3L turbo. The 2nd gen comes with the 3.5L V6.

Best advice go test drive one.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
To the initial question - yes you can get a FWD RDX, although at least here in the northeast, they're hard to find, and if you do get one, resale will be awful since most folks expect that they're all AWD. But if you're in a place where winter traction isn't a need and FWD SUV's are prevalent, it probably isn't a big deal. I will say that the AWD RDX doesn't feel overly heavy or like it's lugging around other HW that you'd notice. It's very well balanced and the MPG's are great.

andy
The following users liked this post:
jim_c (01-17-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Drove the RDX for week while I waiting for airbag and broke steering column which Acura broke when they installed the remote starter. All I can say I was very very happy to have my 13 TLSHAWD adv back.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andysinnh
To the initial question - yes you can get a FWD RDX, although at least here in the northeast, they're hard to find, and if you do get one, resale will be awful since most folks expect that they're all AWD. But if you're in a place where winter traction isn't a need and FWD SUV's are prevalent, it probably isn't a big deal. I will say that the AWD RDX doesn't feel overly heavy or like it's lugging around other HW that you'd notice. It's very well balanced and the MPG's are great.

andy
Also agree. I have seen FWD options down south. However, around my way (North East) most of them are AWD and finding a FWD here is going to be a long search!
jim_c (01-17-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
Question for you, particularly If you have driven both 4th gen TL and RDX:
Are all RDX "AWD"? (That is, is there an RDX model that is only FWD?)
What is the comparison between driving a TL or an RDX?
I like the TL (we have fwd only) especially on the highway. It is heavy but it is fast. Feels a bit ponderous in tight situations.
I really like the Acura interiors. (Previously had a wonderful Integra as well.)
I'm curious about the RDX. I would buy a fwd version if there is such a thing. My feeling is the AWD adds unneeded weight and complexity.
What is the general consensus? Thanks for your comments.
AWD Transforms these cars into amazing machines! Yes there is added weight with AWD but the performance and stability makes up for it. Haldex is the new supplier for the driveline components vs the inhouse stuff for SH-AWD. Instead of using Magnetic clutches it'll switch back to a traditional setup that does the exact same thing SH-AWD was intended to do. The CRV has the same components, but with much different programming and as well different ratings for the internal components. I have an 07 MDX and it's a tad slow compared to the 4G TL around the city because it's a Heavy SUV, and has SH-AWD, but it's a blast to drive all the time. If it wasn't for the oil burning, I would have gotten a 4G SH-AWD. Thankfully none of the 3.5L AWD's have had that issue nor the 2007-09 MDX's.
jim_c (01-17-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
So since RDX doesnt have SHAWD anymore what style or based on is the AWD system on the new RDX?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Anicra
So since RDX doesnt have SHAWD anymore what style or based on is the AWD system on the new RDX?
It's based off the CRV.