TL vs Grand Cherokee V2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
TL vs Grand Cherokee V2

Hi guys - I posted a while back thinking of trading to a 2014 GC. The thread was moved, but figured I'd post again for the 4Gers.

What I learned from my experience is Jeep dealers are strokes. I dealt with 5 different stealerships in the Northern IL region and all of them were terrible. They really have brainwashed themselves into thinking they've got the best vehicle on the road...

Anyway, while several aspects of the GC are great I wanted to give my opinion on the powertrain. Whether you go V6 or V8 the transmission is terrible. Constantly hunting gears and loss of power. I took a fairly long test drive again yesterday and couldn't believe I was in a V8. We punched it a couple times to merge with traffic and the lack of power was evident. Its apparent the new 8 speeds are geared for mpg, and nothing else. I would lack confidence at every on ramp if I bought one.

The interior seems top notch at first glance, but after 30 minutes it became quite apparent the materials and leather are not up to the TL spec, and the stereo sucks. My daughter got in the back and exclaimed *It feels like i'm sitting on paper* LOL. I didn't bother attaching my phone to the bluetooth so can't comment on how well the U Connect system works.

At the end of the day, the GC is all aesthetics, and not much else. I think its the meanest looking SUV on the road, and the 20" wheels look great, but looks alone were not enough to sway me. My GF and I have been on a lot of test drives the past 2 months, and I think we've realized (at least I have) that the TL is an amazing machine, and you will be hard pressed to find its equal at its price point.

I think we'll be keeping it at least another year, and next Summer we'll look at trading her Camry in on a truck for our utility needs. Oh, I forgot to mention the asinine trade-in value one dealer put on my TL, it made me choke. The max they would give was 27K for a 2012 TL SH-AWD w/tech with only 22K miles. I almost slugged the guy
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
A question....Why would you trade in a car that you are happy with to something else, given your vehicle needs haven't changed? I'm assuming your this based on your Camry option.

Last edited by DefMunkie; 10-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry, most of that was addressed in my original moved post. Our needs have changed, but I think we're still going to hold off a while. The TL would be a much larger down payment than trading the Camry at this time, not to mention the Camry has much better utility/practicality than the TL. I think my enjoyment of the TL would be much greater if I did more daily highway driving, but as that is not the case, you look more at what you need out of the vehicle other than just driving to work.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car vs Small SUV... Should you be comparing a MDX to a GC? I mean I can't rightfully see any real comparison of the TL to the GC on any level other than they both have 4 wheels, a steering wheel, 4 doors and seats...
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
GLM you'd be surprised by how many people the new GC exterior has fooled; unfortunately it's beauty is only sheet metal deep.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what trim model you test drove. Sounds like a limited without the luxury II package, which is pleather seating, basic audio system with the 8.4" navi and uconnect system.

My wife has a GC and it's been great, although we have a Summit which has napa leather, leather dash, air suspension and the higher end audio system. I have to say the leather in hers has held up better than my TL, which is newer and has half the miles.

We also test drove the Q5, Q7, ML350, Touareg, and X5 before deciding on the GC.

Last edited by amill; 10-15-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Drove several actually, but all were Limited trim, both V6 and V8, only the V6 had the luxury package you mentioned with the fancy LEDs and ventilated seats. I thought the power to the road was abysmal in both, although honestly by my third test drive I think the V6 acceleration was damn near as fast as the V8. A good friend has a 2012 RAM with the Hemi, and only a 6 speed transmission and it is a complete beast compared to how badly neutered the GC is with that 8 spd tranny. I'm glad I spend as much time driving and researching as I did - I know now I would not be happy with the GC. The Summit is very well equipped, and its price tag shows it. Glad you're enjoying it amill, but I don't see a GC in my future
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Thanks, no need for me to take one out for a test drive. You helped me make up my mind. I'm buying a real 4X4 truck.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Sorry, most of that was addressed in my original moved post. Our needs have changed, but I think we're still going to hold off a while. The TL would be a much larger down payment than trading the Camry at this time, not to mention the Camry has much better utility/practicality than the TL. I think my enjoyment of the TL would be much greater if I did more daily highway driving, but as that is not the case, you look more at what you need out of the vehicle other than just driving to work.
Thanks ! I missed that thread! GL with the decision and post up your results and review like with the GC!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
... I thought the power to the road was abysmal in both, although honestly by my third test drive I think the V6 acceleration was damn near as fast as the V8...
Missed this...Wow, SRT8 or don't even bother then.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
GC is a nice looking SUV, buddy just got a new limited, impressive looking.... I'm sure for day to day commuting its fine, and the majority of soccer moms appreciate the MPG more than the power.

I really like the look of the Ford Edge with the 20" sport wheels that have the black inserts in the chrome... Saw one in white with the audi-like black grill and it looks mean as hell. It just isn't funcitonal enough size-wise to get me to bite and upgrade my wife's escape.

think I'll probably go slightly used MDX when the time comes.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Missed this...Wow, SRT8 or don't even bother then.
yeah, except the v8 8spd is 6.6 seconds to 60mph which is about the same as a fwd tl.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...8_first_tests/

I think the op was just used to the weight and feel of his TL. I have zero complaints when driving my wifes v8 powered GC.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Booya4139
GC is a nice looking SUV, buddy just got a new limited, impressive looking.... I'm sure for day to day commuting its fine, and the majority of soccer moms appreciate the MPG more than the power.

I really like the look of the Ford Edge with the 20" sport wheels that have the black inserts in the chrome... Saw one in white with the audi-like black grill and it looks mean as hell. It just isn't funcitonal enough size-wise to get me to bite and upgrade my wife's escape.

think I'll probably go slightly used MDX when the time comes.
I'm pretty sure the MDX, Edge and explorer all get better mpg than the Jeep. Most people buy it for the 4wd system and capability which can't be touched by anything Acura, Ford, Audi Vw etc offer.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The GC gets style points in my book, but that's it. I think if the intent is needing a larger utility vehicle for daily driving there are better vehicles, for offroading in style it can't be beat, however if you don't require the luxury touches I'd take a tacoma. I was really hoping to be more impressed. Surprisingly, the Toyota Highlander really impressed me. Its tranny is dated, but it was smooth and more refined than the Jeep. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision any time soon. Maybe something else will pop up in the next year or so
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Racer

The GC gets style points in my book, but that's it. I think if the intent is needing a larger utility vehicle for daily driving there are better vehicles, for offroading in style it can't be beat, however if you don't require the luxury touches I'd take a tacoma. I was really hoping to be more impressed. Surprisingly, the Toyota Highlander really impressed me. Its tranny is dated, but it was smooth and more refined than the Jeep. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision any time soon. Maybe something else will pop up in the next year or so
A crossover with no off road bearing is smoother than a vehicle engineered for off road use? You don't say? Apples and Oranges
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Racer

IF you need more space without the off road capability, maybe a minvan is in your future. They have the best mpg per person that they haul. lol
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Harsh, while the GC may be built with off-roading in mind I don't know anyone who uses it for that. I'm glad you enjoy your wife's GC, but I'm walking away un-impressed with the power-trains. A stiff ride is one thing, a jerky/clunky transmission is another
Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^

I was thinking the same exact thing. Who off roads in a GC? They probably see as much rugged terrain as a NYC soccer mom's range rover does.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

Anyway, while several aspects of the GC are great I wanted to give my opinion on the powertrain. Whether you go V6 or V8 the transmission is terrible. Constantly hunting gears and loss of power. I took a fairly long test drive again yesterday and couldn't believe I was in a V8. We punched it a couple times to merge with traffic and the lack of power was evident. Its apparent the new 8 speeds are geared for mpg, and nothing else. I would lack confidence at every on ramp if I bought one.
There have been lots of documented problems with these ZF transmissions and software. Apparently they have been trying to get the software right. Isn't that odd talking about getting your transmission software updated?? Anyway, rumor is that the TLX might have a ZF transmission in it.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I think ZF makes one of the strongest transmissions out there, in this case coupling it to Chrysler controlled computers is the issue.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I think ZF makes one of the strongest transmissions out there, in this case coupling it to Chrysler controlled computers is the issue.
It looks like this particular transmission is licensed to Chrysler and built by them, not ZF. Also there is some new active component that is related to the 4wd functionality that seems to be part of the problem. Apparently they have built 12,000 of these cars and not releasing them until they figure this out. Some of the line workers have been test driving the cars to find the issue. At least they are dealing with it now rather than after they sell them.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

^^

Are you referring to the Grand Cherokee or Cherokee? I know the Cherokee has been held back from dealers because of tranny issues, I forget what review I recently read but the writer said they couldn't get into 9th gear during their test, and Jeep said it was still working out the glitches.