TL-SH-AWD vs Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavehogger
SS, with all due respect before I say this, but are you on the crack pipe? It's sad that they dropped out of F1, spending billions is not smart in this climate, but Acura isn't going anywhere.
Let be realistic.
HOw can Honda justify billions on Acura which has very limted global presence to subsidize huge separate marketing/dealerships/outside parts/website etc. Honda simply cant afford on less than a 10,000 sales per month for Acura in US for too long. There is very likely hood of changing back to Honda Legend and Euro Accord Luxury like rest of world.
(I need my free Honda grill for TSX). Audi case is different. It has million sells around the world with price per vehicle far higher. I dont think Honda CEO has emotoional attachment with Acura like F1 to resist for one year separate expenses.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay let's try this for the second time...

Again, let's go back to your statement, which you can't back up, that a "Single Q7 is worth 1.5 times MDX."
Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
Okay let's try this for the second time...

Again, let's go back to your statement, which you can't back up, that a "Single Q7 is worth 1.5 times MDX."
How much is loaded A4 2.0T going. Almost 1.3 to 1.5 times its base price.
Why you think Q7 is any different? It is big ultra luxury with more options including 20inch than A4.
If it holds its used prices higher than MDX it means the newer one is alot expensive as Audi depreciate more than Acura in first year.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
How much is loaded A4 2.0T going. Almost 1.3 to 1.5 times its base price.
Why you think Q7 is any different? It is big ultra luxury with more options including 20inch than A4.
If it holds its used prices higher than MDX it means the newer one is alot expensive as Audi depreciate more than Acura in first year.
I do enjoy being involoved here at Acurazine, so SS if you're going to post so much information can I ask that you please take the time to use proper grammar so that I can read your posts and don't have to go over and over them trying to understand it all with so many gramatical errors. I know we all like to write shorthand, but your posts are just horrible to read. This is not a personal attack, just a request. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already told that If VW Stock cap will collapse like toyota/MB/BMW if it does financial manipulation.
Ur looking at total sales of 6.5 million this year alone. Since average transaction price of VW/Audi is much higher than GM/Toyota. Ur looking at company with largest revenues/largest profits/largest market cap. And that without any presence in US

I mean there spirits are very high. They are going bring the largest numbers of luxury and ultra luxury models to US in history of luxury cars and SUVs. No one can challenge it.
Honda/Acura sold loaded cars because land of rising sun was ahead in electronics. but now that semiconductors have shifted to China where VW is No1 and has global supply chain. That advantage is already eliminated in other countries.

They are not expanding they replacing plants for one kind of vehicles with another. (and that were past decisions. Let see how Honda behaves in tough market). hybrid does not matter. gas is cheap. People with money are looking for performance and style. and those who are looking for hybrids dont have money. Honda simply dont have that many cars so naturally it will be #1 in NHSTA. Audi A4 is also 5 star.
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2009-...SA-rating.html

Facts are stock price. How much market cap of Honda left?

Thats true Audi sold half the cars of Acura but average transaction price of Audi A4 is more than deeply discounted TSX/TL of 2007. Single Q7 is worth 1.5 times MDX. So most probaly in Value Audi achieved 80% value of Acura with 50% sales. What will happen when Audi and Acura have same sales figures? or Audi bring more models and surpass Acura because if it surpass Acura in sales in US. Audi is going to invest so much that Lexus/Acura will have no chance to catch up like Europe.

I dont think MB/BMW are standard. in Europen/Brazil/China/Russia. And that was past. future of MB/BMW group is doom. They made costly mistakes in mergers/quality/leases/models etc.
You mean they are going bring more Volkswagen Phaeton's to the U.S.? We all know how well those sold. I think VW, Bentley and Audi are now clearly defined market wise. VW is not going to ruin Audi or Bentley sales in the U.S. iimporting more luxury or ultra luxury cars.

Honda/Acura is a world wide company just as VW/Audi is, I dont think they have cornered the market in sales or supply chain efficiency.

You really need more facts to back up your points, sorry.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh9269
No kidding. Honda has practically zero debt. They paid cash to build their newest factory. I really don't think they (or Acura) are going anywhere.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

You mean they are going bring more Volkswagen Phaeton's to the U.S.? We all know how well those sold. I think VW, Bentley and Audi are now clearly defined market wise. VW is not going to ruin Audi or Bentley sales in the U.S. iimporting more luxury or ultra luxury cars.

Honda/Acura is a world wide company just as VW/Audi is, I dont think they have cornered the market in sales or supply chain efficiency.

Nope it will be car larger than Passat. More like in TL Size with Accord pricing. but alot more luxrious and sporty. In suc shrinking market of US. Another Big Player addition will have very big impact on Honda profits. They are also bringing Minivan.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...go9mwD94NDMOG0
The plant will be able to make 150,000 vehicles a year when it opens, but Volkswagen already is planning to start construction in 2011 of a second phase that would increase capacity to 592,000 vehicles a year.
Building a new sedan in Chattanooga is part of VW's plan to expand sales in the United States to 1 million a year by 2018, or more than four times the number sold last year. Volkswagen has sold 191,255 vehicles in the first 10 months of 2008, less than a 1 percent decrease from the same period last year, while U.S. auto sales overall have fallen 15 percent.
VW wants to hit the most most profitable segment of Honda/Toyota. In future scheme of things. Audi will move up market compared to BMW/MB. VW will compete against BMW/MB. while Honda/Toyota will be left to SKoda/Seat

With Current trends. as early as Next year BMW will be throne out from its largest luxury brand title in World by Audi alone. Prosche/Bentley/Lambo is separate issue.
http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZA...ober%20results
27 November 2008
Dubai - Audi Middle East has announced October sales results with an increase of 42 percent over 2007 as well as an increase of 21 percent for 2008 overall compared to the year before
Old 12-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Racer

Nope it will be car larger than Passat. More like in TL Size with Accord pricing. but alot more luxrious and sporty. In suc shrinking market of US. Another Big Player addition will have very big impact on Honda profits. They are also bringing Minivan.

VW wants to hit the most most profitable segment of Honda/Toyota. In future scheme of things. Audi will move up market compared to BMW/MB. VW will compete against BMW/MB. while Honda/Toyota will be left to SKoda/Seat

With Current trends. as early as Next year BMW will be throne out from its largest luxury brand title in World by Audi alone. Prosche/Bentley/Lambo is separate issue.
Are you an undercover Audi press agent?

VW is already in its set market area. Consumers have proved that they are not interested in up market VW from the same brand that makes the Economy class Polo. The new U.S. plant is offering a car between the Jetta and Passat. No knock on VW, they make fine products, just need to work on quality issues a bit. That is one area Honda surpasses them.

Audi is already in the same market class as the BMW/MB. IE A8, S Class & 7 Series cars. There is really no level past them unless you move towards the Bentley, Maybach or Rolls Royce class of automobiles. Those models sell in small quantities. Audi would not survive with those sales levels based on its current infrastructure.

Skoda/SEAT are less expensive versions of VW platforms, which slots below VW. I am sure people cross shop them in Europe along with Honda & VW. They are also at this point are not setup to serve the U.S. market.

I really dont think VW is seeking world domination of Honda. They both compete in world markets very well. Also dont forget there are many other car manufactuerers with strong products seeking your auto dollar.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Audi has always reminded me of Subaru. Decent product that has never really caught on. They are the bottom tier German brand just as Subaru is a bottom tier (volume wise) of the Japanese brands. Interestingly, each has has great success in their chosen form of motorsports, while avoiding the spotlight of F1, Indycar or Nascar.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Are you an undercover Audi press agent?

VW is already in its set market area. Consumers have proved that they are not interested in up market VW from the same brand that makes the Economy class Polo. The new U.S. plant is offering a car between the Jetta and Passat. No knock on VW, they make fine products, just need to work on quality issues a bit. That is one area Honda surpasses them.
There is economy class MB A class and spartan C180. New plant is offering large sedan.
Audi is already in the same market class as the BMW/MB. IE A8, S Class & 7 Series cars. There is really no level past them unless you move towards the Bentley, Maybach or Rolls Royce class of automobiles. Those models sell in small quantities. Audi would not survive with those sales levels based on its current infrastructure.
When you looked at A4 they enlarge it considerably and make it more luxurious. Future A6 and A8 and there coupe versions are much higher end. Similar is the large W12/V10 gasoline engines. RS class will be more powrfull han M and AMG. Audi price will be similar level as competition but it will more upmarket. You can already see this from Q5 and Q7 which are larger and more luxurious than competition.
Skoda/SEAT are less expensive versions of VW platforms, which slots below VW. I am sure people cross shop them in Europe along with Honda & VW. They are also at this point are not setup to serve the U.S. market.
These brands have notable success in emerging markets. they are going into tier 3 like Honda and Toyota. tier 2 is VW. Audi will be Tier 1 like Porsche/Lamborgini.
Almost similar content as A4.
http://www.cartradeindia.com/car-bik...ly-110589.html
Celebrations in the Skoda Family
Skoda sales in India have grown by 54% over Jan-Oct 2007 due to the phenomenal success of our new entrant, the Fabia and we expect grander success with the new Superb. The official market launch of the new Superb will be in February 2009”

I really dont think VW is seeking world domination of Honda. They both compete in world markets very well. Also dont forget there are many other car manufactuerers with strong products seeking your auto dollar.
VW has conquered almost every market except for US. This huge global resources they are piling up will enable them to end Honda. Remember they are very good in merger/acquizition/integrations/cross platform/brand identity to individual countries. Once there factory up and running. they will buy US supply chain and will offer more diverse products and engines. It is a win for US consumers.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...di_a7_car_news
Lamborghini Estoque to Share Platform with Audi A7 - Car News

The Estoque will be built on Audi's modular-longitudinal platform, which is the base of a number of new models, including the current Audi A4 and A5, the next-generation A6 and A8, the forthcoming all-new A7, and the 2013 VW Phaeton. There is very little component sharing with the recently revealed Porsche Panamera, which uses a standalone platform close to that of the Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7, and VW Touareg SUVs
I dont see Acura coming even close to this line up coming up. Acura needs coupes/cabriots/sports sedan/sport luxury/luxury/ultra luxury with more options and packages.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

here is another competion. In Sport compacts Golf GTI beats Honda Civic SI by wide distance.
Honda is pretty much dead company in performance category.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-7.html
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=SSFTSX;10258604] These brands have notable success in emerging markets. they are going into tier 3 like Honda and Toyota. tier 2 is VW. Audi will be Tier 1 like Porsche/Lamborgini. [quote]

There isn't enough room here to debate supply chain management or economics 101. Before the demise of the Firebird/Camaro, GM dialed in too much high end technology and over charged for it. These platforms almost eclipsed the Corvette in performance. Something had to go and it wasn't going to be the flagship Vette. Do you really think the Porsche/Audi/VW Group is going to let this happen? Each of the three represent different philosophies and target different consumers. Audi builds too many (volume) cars to try to out Porsche Porsche. In the U.S., Audi buyers aren't nearly as loyal as Honda/Toyota buyers. European-built car labor rates, parts and yes their supply chain don't match the Dr. Demming founded efficiencies at cost. I don't think any mainstream automaker is going after Lamborghini. They have changed owners and been on the brink of financial disaster off and on for decades. The 3 stars keep Lamborghini afloat - Movie stars, Rock Stars, Sports stars.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Racer

here is another competion. In Sport compacts Golf GTI beats Honda Civic SI by wide distance.
Honda is pretty much dead company in performance category.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-7.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...cura_nsx_spied
Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Racer

There is economy class MB A class and spartan C180. New plant is offering large sedan.

When you looked at A4 they enlarge it considerably and make it more luxurious. Future A6 and A8 and there coupe versions are much higher end. Similar is the large W12/V10 gasoline engines. RS class will be more powrfull han M and AMG. Audi price will be similar level as competition but it will more upmarket. You can already see this from Q5 and Q7 which are larger and more luxurious than competition.

These brands have notable success in emerging markets. they are going into tier 3 like Honda and Toyota. tier 2 is VW. Audi will be Tier 1 like Porsche/Lamborgini.
Almost similar content as A4.

VW has conquered almost every market except for US. This huge global resources they are piling up will enable them to end Honda. Remember they are very good in merger/acquizition/integrations/cross platform/brand identity to individual countries. Once there factory up and running. they will buy US supply chain and will offer more diverse products and engines. It is a win for US consumers.

I dont see Acura coming even close to this line up coming up. Acura needs coupes/cabriots/sports sedan/sport luxury/luxury/ultra luxury with more options and packages.

That is not a Polo, but a Premium Small car, big price difference

Every series of cars gets a bit larger every year and offering more luxury features.

We dont know at this point if Audi will continue with the V10, right now yes, but the 4.4 V8 Turbo BMW engine produces comparable HP and torque.

That is too been seen, 4.2 vs a 6.2 V8. Displacement usually wins and cars are more than there engine size. A future test will be involved to prove true to your claims.

The upmarket you claim will still be in the same class of cars. IE M3, C63, Lexus F.

The Q5 is based on the Tiguan and Q7 based on the Touareg. Of course they are upscaled VW's. Still a full market with the X5 and M Class

People, sorry will always cross shop Audi to other brands. I again dont see them pulling away from the competition like you do. It is a very competitive car market and other manufactuerers will not sit on their laurels in the meantime.

Over and out!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Safety Car

That is not a Polo, but a Premium Small car, big price difference
Polo 1.8 GT is premium small car. And it is priced as such. People often make mistake of comparing different engine sizes of VW/BMW/MB. Similar size and equipment pretty similar price.
Every series of cars gets a bit larger every year and offering more luxury features.
A-4 has took a big jump over BMW 3/MB-C. and there is no offering for them in pipeline for next 4 years. When ur bread and butter car is at disadvantage. the whole company starts tanking as no money is left for improving larger sizes. Sales around the world is reflecting this reality.
We dont know at this point if Audi will continue with the V10, right now yes, but the 4.4 V8 Turbo BMW engine produces comparable HP and torque.
As i said in EU diesel is dominant and Audi has the most powerful diesels. They are not worried about V8. Even turbo V6 in S4 creates 335bhp from 3.0
That is too been seen, 4.2 vs a 6.2 V8. Displacement usually wins and cars are more than there engine size. A future test will be involved to prove true to your claims.
Audi do have larger engines but it is not marketed to US.
The upmarket you claim will still be in the same class of cars. IE M3, C63, Lexus F.
Nope. these are tiny less luxurious cars. New RS4 will blow past them.
The Q5 is based on the Tiguan and Q7 based on the Touareg. Of course they are upscaled VW's. Still a full market with the X5 and M Class
Why you automatically assume that these things are based on each other?
First you have to understand SUV. There truck like body on frame like LX-570/Range Rover and than there crossover minvan type like MDX/X-5. Q7 is neither of them. It is in the middle. Its tow capacity/approach/departure angles/water immersion capacity/Road clearance (9.4inch with low profile 20'. imagine tires with more rubber), crawling are in truck based SUV category but its on road performance/quality of finish it beats its competition.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...23/038162.html
Steve Says: In the large, luxury SUV category the Q7 is not only at home but may be in a leadership role
The Q7 is Audi’s big new 7-passenger crossover SUV, sharing some underpinnings with VW’s Touareg and Porsche’s Cayenne (only 15% commonality – they say). Q7 has a commanding presence visually with smooth, massive front end featuring Audi and VW’s wide-mouth grille and its own personality quite different from Touareg and Cayenne. Not a truck-based SUV, nor a car-based CUV platform, it’s somewhere in between with lots of aluminum in the substructure as we might imagine

People, sorry will always cross shop Audi to other brands. I again dont see them pulling away from the competition like you do. It is a very competitive car market and other manufactuerers will not sit on their laurels in the meantime.
Over and out!
It take time for people to realize that they are not getting any value from other brands just past name. BMW/MB/Lexus/Acura are facing collapse in sales.limited production Acura NSX cannot save Acura bankruptcy. Acura had 20 years to be made a global brand when Honda was profitable. they blew it away. you have still two years to go befor NSX comes in sales.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

So untrue. Every brand is scaling back production. MB, BMW, Lexus, and Acura will be around in 10 or 20 years. Chrysler or GM might not be.

BMW/MB/Lexus/Acura are facing collapse in sales.limited production Acura NSX cannot save Acura bankruptcy. Acura had 20 years to be made a global brand when Honda was profitable. they blew it away. you have still two years to go befor NSX comes in sales.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
So untrue...
CL,

Haven't you and others figured out yet that there is a poster here that is either on crack or about 12 years old?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
CL,

Haven't you and others figured out yet that there is a poster here that is either on crack or about 12 years old?

And the amazing thing is that this statement is not even a personal attack! If true, it would forgive a lot.....
Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn...this crap is still going on and on....
Old 12-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
So untrue. Every brand is scaling back production. MB, BMW, Lexus, and Acura will be around in 10 or 20 years. Chrysler or GM might not be.
There is critical difference. VW group is scalling back in EU but it is expanding in BRIC countries. (Brazil/Russia/China/India)
Auto market in West/Japan will be shrunk by great amount.
Renault-Nissan group will survive as they have that special relationship with autovaz in Russia.
VW offcourse. Very strong in all BRIC countries along with Middleast/Latin America.
Chinese brands will be competitor to smaller Japanes bread and butter car. that is enough to destroy Honda/Toyota profitability.
So u cannot say for next 10 years Auto market will be the same. Higher end Audi will destroy MB/BMW/Lexus while lower end VW/Skoda is taking over lowr end MB/BMW version.
The market has fundamentally changed. Only one or two large conglomertes will survive to have enough money for R&D for next generation platforms.
Japan had falling sales for past 20 years. It was only US market that were supporting Honda/Toyota as independent. US market will not only shrink but new big player like VW will further dent them. recovery in japanese sales is practically hopeless proposition. and Chinese wont allow Japanese car makers to dominate there market. so i dont see how they can remain luxury brand in medium term.

MB had only 74000 in total sales in November. Similar is BMW situation without mini. Add to that balance sheet losses from Leases. Situation is pretty dire.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...26/1148/AUTO01
Sales of the company's Mercedes-Benz, AMG and Maybach cars dropped 27.6 percent to 74,400 while the ultra compact Smart dropped only 1.2 percent to 10,100 cars, a sign of consumer preference amid higher fuel prices
Old 12-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Racer

someone please...
Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Somehow I think they will all survive. BMW has a wealthy family backing them up and Mercedes has Daimler and they are still in a strong position. Skodas are laughed at in car magazines. Audi builds better cars than they did but cheap leases are what keeps them going. That takes a lot of money. Most A4s I see are people who can't step up to a BMW or a Benz. A6 and A8 have very small sales overall.

Honda adapts and they are very well placed in the market with the Civic, the upcoming Insight, the Odyssey, and the Accord. Acura will muddle through though the current product cycle will be tough on them because they are building ugly cars.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
Somehow I think they will all survive. BMW has a wealthy family backing them up and Mercedes has Daimler and they are still in a strong position. Skodas are laughed at in car magazines. Audi builds better cars than they did but cheap leases are what keeps them going. That takes a lot of money. Most A4s I see are people who can't step up to a BMW or a Benz. A6 and A8 have very small sales overall.

Honda adapts and they are very well placed in the market with the Civic, the upcoming Insight, the Odyssey, and the Accord. Acura will muddle through though the current product cycle will be tough on them because they are building ugly cars.
Actually they are bringing two new Sedans. One in Honda Civic Size and another in Honda Accord size. It will be with 100% American consumer in mind. I fail to see Honda sales could be maintained in already shrinking market.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...812010317/1178
Plans are on track for two new vehicles better suited for the United States than VW's current sedans: the car dubbed the new compact sedan, which will replace the Jetta in 2010, and a new medium sedan for VW's new factory in Tennessee.
The design for the new medium sedan — designed to compete better in size and price against the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord — has been frozen, said Jacoby
In a change to its development process, VW conducted extensive focus groups in the United States for the new medium sedan, said Jacoby.

In the past, the brand has been criticized for exporting German cars designed for the German market and expecting U.S. buyers to embrace vehicles priced higher than those of the competition

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/upto...rd-vw-gap.html
Meanwhile, Volkswagen is huge internationally, with massive, well-established operations in Latin America, a growing role in China, Russia and India, not to mention its leadership in home turf of Western Europe, where it also markets its Seat and Skoda brands.

One could practically hear the crowing all the way from VW's Wolfsburg, Germany, headquarters.
Honda/Acura could have muddled through current crises if they werent facing 28% a month sales collapse in Japanese market. add to that unfavourable currency exchange and shrinking US market.

BMW had worst share holder return as they invested all there money in future growth. but since the market around them is collapsing no matter what product they introduce. Share holder revolt like Daimler is brewing. that was 2007 before market collapse of 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotSt...01305120070716
With the backing of the Quandts, management has also preferred to invest spare cash in future growth as opposed to returning it to shareholders either in the form of an industry-average dividend payout or a material buyback of shares.
"Yet earnings have been lackluster, and the stock's performance has failed to match those of others such as Fiat (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and VW (VOWG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) which, in our view at least, are far lower quality businesses," Cheetham continued.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
CL,

Hey he could also be 12 years old AND on crack!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Let be realistic.
HOw can Honda justify billions on Acura which has very limted global presence to subsidize huge separate marketing/dealerships/outside parts/website etc. Honda simply cant afford on less than a 10,000 sales per month for Acura in US for too long. There is very likely hood of changing back to Honda Legend and Euro Accord Luxury like rest of world.
(I need my free Honda grill for TSX). Audi case is different. It has million sells around the world with price per vehicle far higher. I dont think Honda CEO has emotoional attachment with Acura like F1 to resist for one year separate expenses.
Who says they can't afford Acura as a seperate entity? If you look they leverage the exisitng platforms, TSX is Europrean Accord and TL is US Accord, I assume RDX shars some CRV platform and MDX probably Pilot or Ridgeline. If they couldn't have afforded it as a seperate entity they probably woudl have skuttled it by now. I know it does not perform like they want, but I assume it does OK for them.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KeithL
Who says they can't afford Acura as a seperate entity? If you look they leverage the exisitng platforms, TSX is Europrean Accord and TL is US Accord, I assume RDX shars some CRV platform and MDX probably Pilot or Ridgeline. If they couldn't have afforded it as a seperate entity they probably woudl have skuttled it by now. I know it does not perform like they want, but I assume it does OK for them.
You always bring past which has no relationship with future. Honda President has admitted that Next 100 years will be diferent. (It is too late for them).

If they could afford Acura they would have made it as Global Brand. They have been 20 years in business. They point is separate dealership/marketing and design expesnes for Acura vehicles when sales are such low. It is not that are selling Acuras at Bentley prices to have seperate name plate. they need discounts to move Acura inventories.

They Had Euro Accord/Honda Legend in other markets. They could give some other name to TL. and sell it on Honda badge. I can forsee where they will want to upgrade few Honda dealerships upgraded to handle Acura cars and finally putting Honda badge on them. This is there only way of surviving core activities.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228...googlenews_wsj
DECEMBER 6, 2008 Honda Red Flags Formula One Team
The decision presages a fundamental change in the auto industry in the long term, Mr. Fukui said.

"The auto industry had prospered in the past 100 years, and we are in a time of change, entering another 100-year period," he said.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Hey he could also be 12 years old AND on crack!
Legend,

You have a point -- perhaps even younger!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL,

Old 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

Back on subject...

At the risk of getting us back onto the subject at hand, I've been looking at replacing my 2006 TL w/Nav and have looked at both the 2009 TL SH-AWD/Tech and A4 Prestige w/Nav.

I actually purchased the 2006 TL, intending to keep it for some time. I looked at the '06 A4, 3xx, G35, and Lesxus IS AWD and decided on the Acura as it was simply put, a terrific value compared to anything else. I read all about the complaints about the car and all the comparisons before I purchased.

For about one year I was very happy with the car. Then the small things really started to bother me. The old key and key fob system had been upgraded in the 2007/08 models which was one of my complaints. But, having been upgraded, it was not even more dramatic a difference of the old key set for my "luxury" car and the current key fob. I did take the plunge and did the ever popular key fob mod to upgrade to the better fob. That was not fun.

Rattles started appearing from out of nowhere and there was nothing I could do to stop them. Worse, my driver's seat was looking like it had been through hell and back at 10,000 miles. Now, I'm a very skinny light weight guy, yet the seats looked like they belonged to a car that was 8-10 years old. The service manager at Acura took one look at them and said, "yeah those look fine". He went further to say Acura used crappy leather in their cars.

The navigation system stopped giving me correct time in 2007, when the "new" daylight savings time kicked in. I say "new" only because it was well known in 2005 that the changes were coming yet Acura/Alpine didn't bother updating their software. Speaking of software, the Apline navigation system was just plain terrible. Ancient maps, couldn't find businesses that existed for decades, and listed POI's that had never existed. Half the time I consult Google Maps as the navigation system can't find where I need to go. To fix somel of these issues, Acura decided to offer the 2007 map updates for a "discount". My "luxury" car just decided to nickel and dime me!

Finally, the light steering feel started to really get to me. To the point where I was afraid I'd be getting into an accident because of the torque-steer problem and the light steering feel. Note this is *my* problem as I'm just simply used to a different car.

So - there you have the reasons for getting rid of a low-mileage, reliable, dependable car.

After driving the 2009 TL SH-AWD I have to say it's a substantial improvement in many ways. More power, performance, handling, and even better technology. The leather has been upgraded and is supposedly more durable but only time will tell.

The A4 took me back to my 2001 A4 3.2 Quattro. All during the test drive I just kept muttering "this is why I love german cars". The handling and performance characteristics were fantastic. Fit and finish for the interior were great. I didn't even wonder if the leather would hold up - I know it will. The technology was lame. Terrible implementation of keyless ignition, stupid placement of the MMI control knob on the dashboard unless you got the Navigation package, and a lame navigation system that was still DVD based.

In the end, my inclination was to go with the A4 given the driving feel, which for me was far more important, and pay a higher price for the A4. Reliability is not that important to me as I tend to swap out my cars every 3 years or so. The higher price though was worth it if the interior of the car held up better over the time period I have it and for the driving performance.

However, I might end up waiting until the mid-season refresh as I understand a better navigation system might be coming at that time. Since I don't desperately need a new car I can be a bit patient.

I will definitely still recommend that people look at the TL as it is a great car at a very aggressive price point. One just has to make some tradeoffs in terms of what one is really looking for. For me, I've come to realize that I care most about the driving characteristics, which will lead me to the A4.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by msingh
Reliability is not that important to me...
...then you're going to love the Audi.

Enjoy!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Acura canada sales fall 59%. Is any hope left for brand.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...27957220081202
Sales at the automaker's Toyota division increased 0.5 percent to 11,640, while its luxury Lexus division sold 1,152 vehicles for a 19.1 percent rise.

Honda Canada Inc (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) reported a 33 percent drop in sales over the previous November to 9,224 units.

The automaker said sales at its Honda division fell 28 percent to 8,310, while sales at its Acura division slid 59 percent to 914. (Reporting by John McCrank and Frank Pingue; Editing by Frank McGurty)
Audi has about 737 sales. No loss of sales.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../02/c6152.html

VW has only 2% decrease in Canada.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../02/c6276.html
Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Nice selective use of stats!

HERNDON, Va., Dec 02, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Audi today announced sales for the month of November totaling 6,788 units, a decrease of 25.4% from November 2007.

HERNDON, Va.— Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced November 2008 sales of 14,295 units, a 19.2 percent decrease over the November 2007 sales of 17,689 vehicles.

Dude you are such a jack it's not even funny!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
Nice selective use of stats!

HERNDON, Va., Dec 02, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Audi today announced sales for the month of November totaling 6,788 units, a decrease of 25.4% from November 2007.

HERNDON, Va.— Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced November 2008 sales of 14,295 units, a 19.2 percent decrease over the November 2007 sales of 17,689 vehicles.

Dude you are such a jack it's not even funny!
I was posting Canadian Sales. Where Acura brand has presence.
We already went throuh US and European sales.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
They Had Euro Accord/Honda Legend in other markets. They could give some other name to TL. and sell it on Honda badge. I can forsee where they will want to upgrade few Honda dealerships upgraded to handle Acura cars and finally putting Honda badge on them. This is there only way of surviving core activities.

VW proved you can't sell an upscale car in the US without a badge to justify the price tag, aka Phateon. The Accord competes with the Camry and to some extent is trying to steal Avalon sales with its move into bigger size. Sure they probably could sell a bigger Honda to go against the Avalon, but they won't attract peope that want a luxury badge. Blame Honda themselves for starting Acura, then Toyota and Nissan for jumping in, but the problem is there is a near-luxury markey now and whether Honda likes it or not, if that want to sell a $40K or more car it will need to wear a badge other than Honda.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KeithL
VW proved you can't sell an upscale car in the US without a badge to justify the price tag, aka Phateon. The Accord competes with the Camry and to some extent is trying to steal Avalon sales with its move into bigger size. Sure they probably could sell a bigger Honda to go against the Avalon, but they won't attract peope that want a luxury badge. Blame Honda themselves for starting Acura, then Toyota and Nissan for jumping in, but the problem is there is a near-luxury markey now and whether Honda likes it or not, if that want to sell a $40K or more car it will need to wear a badge other than Honda.
Thats the whole point. Honda is saving money by competing against Avalon/Camry with one car. Toyota has Toyota Crown in other markets. It doesnot matter that much to them.
So why u think they will keep a separate brand for less than 10,000 sales a month distributed among 3 to 5 vehicles.
Phaeton is separate issue. Even if it had Audi badge it would still flop. There isnt demand for Exective cars beyond S-Class/BMW-7/Lexus LS. New Audi A8 will change that perception.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Because they have a 20+ year investment and killed off some vehicles to make room for new ones. They are in the rebuilding stage now. Talk to me in 5 years we'll see where things are. Right now it's all useless conjecture.

So why u think they will keep a separate brand for less than 10,000 sales a month distributed among 3 to 5 vehicles
Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
Because they have a 20+ year investment and killed off some vehicles to make room for new ones. They are in the rebuilding stage now. Talk to me in 5 years we'll see where things are. Right now it's all useless conjecture.
So do u think just to keep past investment they will continue to sink money for next 5 years.? And they had added more vehciles.

Look there is 4 choices with TL
There is 3 choices with RL.
There is plenty of choices with MDX
There is RDX.
Only TSX replaced Integra. But sales have been falling even from 2005-06 levels. u can pretty much judge that for next 5 years nothing is coming out.
Where the money will come from to Globalized the Acura brand? when all concentration is on saving the core activities. They are facing shrinking market with more competition.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
someone please...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Audi is lucky in that they have a large number of models to sell which age at different rates whereas Acura, with such a small fleet, sees the TSX/TL age at the same rate and since those cars are very important to Acura as they age overall sales decline.

Of course Honda will continue to invest money into Acura... there is not only the pride issue but if they do manage to stand toe-to-toe with the 'big boys' there is plenty of money to be made as well.

It will take time to introduce new models. If Acura wants to go for Audi/MB/BMW sales they'll have to embrace subsidized leases which is how a majority of those cars find homes. I doubt they will so Acuras will continue to be the car you buy while the Audi will continue to be the car you lease which is why the poster above said reliability isn't that important... he'll be done with the car in 2-3 years.

So do u think just to keep past investment they will continue to sink money for next 5 years.? And they had added more vehciles.

Look there is 4 choices with TL
There is 3 choices with RL.
There is plenty of choices with MDX
There is RDX.
Only TSX replaced Integra. But sales have been falling even from 2005-06 levels. u can pretty much judge that for next 5 years nothing is coming out.
Where the money will come from to Globalized the Acura brand? when all concentration is on saving the core activities. They are facing shrinking market with more competition.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
Audi is lucky in that they have a large number of models to sell which age at different rates whereas Acura, with such a small fleet, sees the TSX/TL age at the same rate and since those cars are very important to Acura as they age overall sales decline.
Audi does not have Advantage untill this point in US market. Audi Q7 came 7 years after MDX. Q5 which is real competitor to MDX/RDX is 9 years behind. Acura made most money from SUVs as the are more expensives one as RL sales didnot pick up.
It is just beginning.
Audi Q7 Quattro, A5 Earn Best Resale Value Awards From Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com
HERNDON, Va., -- The Audi Q7 quattro and the Audi A5 coupe won Kelley Blue Book's prestigious 2009 Best Resale Value Awards for the luxury SUV and the luxury car categories respectively

Of course Honda will continue to invest money into Acura... there is not only the pride issue but if they do manage to stand toe-to-toe with the 'big boys' there is plenty of money to be made as well.
Honda hide alot about its plans but market can sniff out alot. Share price still has sell rating despite they cut profit guidance by only 19% which is clearly wrong.

It will take time to introduce new models. If Acura wants to go for Audi/MB/BMW sales they'll have to embrace subsidized leases which is how a majority of those cars find homes. I doubt they will so Acuras will continue to be the car you buy while the Audi will continue to be the car you lease which is why the poster above said reliability isn't that important... he'll be done with the car in 2-3 years.
I am afraid they may not have time now any more as market has shrinked dramatically and competition has intensified. They have to offer leases and creative financing (residuals values )to move current inventory othwerwise it is complete collapse.

Quick Reply: TL-SH-AWD vs Audi A4