Storing the Acura TL for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Storing the Acura TL for Winter

Hi! Guys,
What is the proper procedure to store our TL during the winter months?
Is it ok to cover it down and what covering to use after it is been washed and waxed?
Is it necessary to remove the wheels or put it on jackstands?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems fine but why are you going to put away your SH-AWD car away? Not really a sports car or something?
The following users liked this post:
ichi d (10-08-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
you really dont have to do anything special.
if longer than 4 months, I'd take the tires off.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
here's what I do with my P-car during winter storage season,

1. hook-up to a battery maintainer
2. in-flat tires by additional 4 psi on all four corners
3. lift the windshield wipers
4. fill-up the gas tank
5. leave a small tray with baking soda on passenger side floor to ensure car smells fresh
6. make sure the heater/climate control is set at proper temperature in the garage
7. give the car a good wash before goes to the storage

No idea why you are storing the TL away for the winter, but you must have your reason. The above procedures are shared by senior PCA member.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
^^^ Good advice ,in addition to those i also do an oil change the day of storage and add Stabil to the gas. I also cover my car.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
But... you have an SH-AWD! I'd put that SH-AWD to the test if I were you bud
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Lifting windshield wipers can prematurely wear out the springs. Wiper's arent that expensive, if you're worried about the rubber deforming, just throw on a trashed set for storage.

In addition, I would suggest that one tops off their tank of gas before storage, and pour in fuel stabilizer. Top off is to limit the amount of empty space in the tank for moisture to get in. Stabilizer is to prevent gas from going bad, and gumming up the fuel system.

As for jackstands, i've heard in some cases where lifting the load off the shocks is not good for them, but if you don't you can develop flat spots on the tires (hence overfilling them would reduce this risk). If i were going to store my 4000lb car, i'd but a set of worn out tires off craigslist or kijiji, and a set of steelies and just throw those on. Sounds costly, but it would be cheaper than replacing good tires, and you can reuse it every year.

Last edited by Teddybear; 10-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by ArthurL
Not if the car is fitted with some high performance summer tires, which will be totally useless in the snow or on ice.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Drive the dam thing in the snow...thats half the fun
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Drifting

Op,good advice from Teddybear as well.

I still remember the day i saw your car rolling in to the parking lot....what presence i said to myself,you have a beautiful example of a meticulously maintained TL.
Mine has never seen snow since i purchased it and probably never will as long as i own it since it is not my daily driver and summer ride only,it is nice to have other options for the winter.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ I am with you on preserving my TL Mine has never (nor will it) seen snow. I will drive it in the winter IF the roads are nice, bare and dry. I have a little CTEK3300 device that I got at Canadian Tire which goes on sale quite often at 40% off. If you are going to store it, make sure you get one of those.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shawdddy
Seems fine but why are you going to put away your SH-AWD car away? Not really a sports car or something?
I am really trying to preserve my car as best as I can lol.., not very good when the salt truck is spraying salt all over it, keeping it away from hail, yes accidents as well and having to wash it on them cold days, -10C up here in Brampton, Ontario.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=justnspace;14084305]you really dont have to do anything special.
if longer than 4 months, I'd take the tires off.[/QUOTE

I will probably store it until May, thats going to be hard for me.

Originally Posted by py0413
here's what I do with my P-car during winter storage season,

4. fill-up the gas tank
5. leave a small tray with baking soda on passenger side floor to ensure car smells fresh
6. make sure the heater/climate control is set at proper temperature in the garage

No idea why you are storing the TL away for the winter, but you must have your reason. The above procedures are shared by senior PCA member.
I know storing a SH-awd for the winter is hard but I have another car that I will use, Thx for all the tips.

Originally Posted by KarKraze
^^^ Good advice ,in addition to those i also do an oil change the day of storage and add Stabil to the gas. I also cover my car.
Hey my good friend, I hope you did enjoy your ride really well this summer, especially with the springs, I saw where you install the switchback.

Originally Posted by ArthurL
Lol... yes I did enjoy the SH-awd before in the winter when I had my 2010, but the 2012 I decide to put it away.

Originally Posted by Teddybear
Lifting windshield wipers can prematurely wear out the springs. Wiper's arent that expensive, if you're worried about the rubber deforming, just throw on a trashed set for storage.

In addition, I would suggest that one tops off their tank of gas before storage, and pour in fuel stabilizer. Top off is to limit the amount of empty space in the tank for moisture to get in. Stabilizer is to prevent gas from going bad, and gumming up the fuel system.

As for jackstands, i've heard in some cases where lifting the load off the shocks is not good for them, but if you don't you can develop flat spots on the tires (hence overfilling them would reduce this risk). If i were going to store my 4000lb car, i'd but a set of worn out tires off craigslist or kijiji, and a set of steelies and just throw those on. Sounds costly, but it would be cheaper than replacing good tires, and you can reuse it every year.
I could take the wiper blades off and put a thick rag underneath, thanks for tips, For sure I will top up the tank and put the stabil.
Regards

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Not if the car is fitted with some high performance summer tires, which will be totally useless in the snow or on ice.

Yes, the car has high performance tires that I will not take off but will put extra air in.

Originally Posted by TLbullet
Drive the dam thing in the snow...thats half the fun
Nooo, its going to get damage from sheets of ice flying off tractor trailers on the highway.

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Op,good advice from Teddybear as well.
Thx, really appreciate all the advice.

I still remember the day i saw your car rolling in to the parking lot....what presence i said to myself,you have a beautiful example of a meticulously maintained TL.
Mine has never seen snow since i purchased it and probably never will as long as i own it since it is not my daily driver and summer ride only,it is nice to have other options for the winter.
How can I forget that day lol.. I really admire your car how it still looks brand new and the unique grill 1 of a kind. Yes, I have other option a Honda Civic, it will have to do during the winter and rain. I guess I won't see you around until the summer maybe car meet.

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ I am with you on preserving my TL Mine has never (nor will it) seen snow. I will drive it in the winter IF the roads are nice, bare and dry. I have a little CTEK3300 device that I got at Canadian Tire which goes on sale quite often at 40% off. If you are going to store it, make sure you get one of those.
Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for that sale, I know when I take my car out next year April or May it will look new like Karkraze
Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Well Sir you got a lot of fine advice. I'm not sure why you would want to "STORE" your TL for the winter. I semi store my Miata and TL as I do not drive them in snow or if there is ANY salt on the road. My pickup takes that beating. First of all its not really good to let the car sit long periods of time. What I do for my Miata, is make sure the oil is changed. I give it a good professional detail(I pay someone). Battery tender is a MUST or you will be buying a new battery very soon(ask me how I know). Since I do not have a garage, I cover my cars. If there is no snow, and salt on the road, I try my Miata or TL as much as I can. There might be times the cars will sit a couple of weeks at a time. Thats all I really do, and I have never had any problems. I recently had a 24 year old Toyata pickup with only 75K on her. I used the same procedure on her, and my neighbor is still driving it(sold it for $150) If you plan on not driving it the whole winter, then I probably would put the car up on jackstands, and maybe disconnect the battery.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Instructor

I plan on starting the car every 2 weeks, let the engine run up to normal operating temperature, reverse out of the garage then drive it back in, I will put it on a battery tender for sure, this should be ok.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
recall.....I can totally relate to babying the TL....If you have been following my threads and posts, my 2012 TL has NEVER seen a drop of rain (and no snow either)....and when I wash my car, I slide underneath and clean the under carriage so I am the KING OF ANALNESS Now my RDX is having the same treatment...lucikly, I have little "put put" car to get me around on a rainy day I'd hate being stuck at home when it rains and not being able to go out for my Tim Horton tea and "pumpkin spice" muffin *lol*
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Subsonic

Hey OP. i think i saw a battery trickler on sale at CanadianTire. you should check it out asap!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
[quote=py0413;14084370]
4. fill-up the gas tank

quote]

This ^ plus add the appropriate amount of STA BiL to the tank BEFORE you fill it up. Drive around a little so the treated gas has a chance to enter the entire fuel system. Today's gasoline starts to degrade after only 60 days.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Instructor

How much Stabil to add to the tank of gas?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Recall
Buy it and read the label. It varies based on how many litres you have in the tank. I use this for my lawnmower, snowblower and Motorcycle and they start beautifully after storage. Make sure you run the car for a few minutes to get the stabiizer through the entire system.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
anything less then 6 months and i wouldnt waist my time trying to do anything to it...in your case, a battery tender would be nice, stabil isnt going to be needed for just the winter, but it never hurts to add it either....dont loose sleep over this
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but my dad recently purchased a new TL and it currently has 300 miles on it. Would it be bad to store it for the winter during the "break in period"? This may be a dumb question but whatever.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by FoxTL
Sorry to hijack your thread but my dad recently purchased a new TL and it currently has 300 miles on it. Would it be bad to store it for the winter during the "break in period"? This may be a dumb question but whatever.

Thanks in advance.
Not a dumb question,i did the same thing as your Dad,i purchased my car in Feb with only 7kms and stored it until the begining of May,follow the advice above with regards to storing and you will be fine.
Keep in mind dealers can have cars on their lot for some time before selling them.
FoxTL (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by Recall
I just added Stabil to my new snowblower. It said 10ml for every 3L of gas, but just check the label to be sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
anything less then 6 months and i wouldnt waist my time trying to do anything to it...in your case, a battery tender would be nice, stabil isnt going to be needed for just the winter, but it never hurts to add it either....dont loose sleep over this
The real issue with gasoline degradation here is going to be octane level.

Sure, a modern car with a sealed system, such as the 4G TL, might not suffer any ill effects from long term storage. Since the gasoline will not have contact with air, it will last much longer. However, because it is a high output motor which requires a high octane gas, degraded gas during storage could mean that when you take it out for summer you'll be driving around for a week with poor performance and crappy gas mileage.

Either way, Vinner is right, have a great holiday season and don’t stress about a parked car.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
justnspace (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Thanks! to everyone for the input. I don't think there is no other car forum as informative as this one :-) it is the best for sure.