SH-AWD Owners - Did you cross-shop the Genesis Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
SH-AWD Owners - Did you cross-shop the Genesis Sedan?

This is probably a seemingly-ridiculous question, as the missions of the two cars are radically different. But I wish I could have a car that fulfills both missions.

(About Me: 3x Acura owner [98 CL, 00 TL, 08 TL]), currently leasing an MB C300 AWD Sport. 4G TL and Genesis are the two cars that have impressed me the most in this price range. I live in Madison WI so AWD is on the wishlist.)

The Genesis is a phenomenal highway cruiser... smooth and very quiet, which is what I like on long drives. Eventually I think this car would bore me to death.

The 4G TL SH-AWD is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven and would be great on my urban commute. But I fear the firmer ride and road noise would become tiresome after awhile.

I've committed to the Mrs. that I'll buy my next car and keep it 8 years, so I want to make sure I'm happy with what I get!!!

Did anyone on this forum struggle with similar concerns before finally settling one one or the other? Are you happy with your choice? Did you make any changes to the car (especially tire) to help with your concerns?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
First, I love the Head Wound Harry avatar- that was a hilarious clip!

As for the Genesis, I've also considered it in case anything happened to my 3G TL. I'm older (46) so I don't really drive my car that hard in the twisties. If you're looking for a highway cruiser that's composed but very comfortable and quiet, I don't think you can go wrong with a Genesis (it's had great reviews in all the car mags).

To me, a Genesis would be a throwback to my 2G TL (very comfortable ride and decent handling), and that's not a bad thing. I still miss that car (it's in CO, as my brother bought it 4 years ago).
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife would have rolled her eyes at me if I gave the option of a Hyundai. She still has this misconception that Hyundai is complete garbage. We've stuck with Honda, so the Acura was one of our only options. We've had the car for nearly 2 days (), but the ride is really comfortable, in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I seriously cross shopped it as I hated the 4G look and actually had paperwork on a Genesis all ready to go until the dealer scratched the car pulling it out of the showroom. They could not locate another one so I was back to G37 vs TL AWD. I woudl up inthe 4G AWD and loved it, but recently dumped it becasue I was tied of the beak and muted color. It was the best built car I ever owned. I find fate made the right decision for me. While I think the Hyundai is a great ride I think over time the seats woudl kill me, poor lumbar and lateral support. Also the rear suspension needed some serious refinement, which I hear they fixed in the 2010 models. Going into its third year I still like the looks of the Hyundai, but it is begininig to look overly plain and the interior is too simple, especially when you lok at the 2011 Sonata and Equus Interior styling. Hyundai needs to bring the 2012 Genesis interior inline with their new styling to revitalize the car.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:22 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by dethred
My wife would have rolled her eyes at me if I gave the option of a Hyundai. She still has this misconception that Hyundai is complete garbage. We've stuck with Honda, so the Acura was one of our only options. We've had the car for nearly 2 days (), but the ride is really comfortable, in my opinion.
too bad about that: I am very happy with the hyundai's we have owned. They have gone way over 100,000 miles without problems. On the other hand the 05 honda civic we owned was a P.O.S. One problem after another. Traded it in on our 06 tsx. My mom has a 08 honda accord with 19,000 miles. The transmission was replaced under warranty after it locked up. My husbands new car is the 11 sonata 6MT so I get to choose the next new car. If the 6mt sonata offered more options that might be my choice. Both my husband and I love manual transmission.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
No.... I did not even think about Hyundai at all....... the firmer ride and the road noise of the SH-AWD are not an issue at all! IMHO they are over-exaggerated. The cabin is quiet and the ride is firm but not harsh.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I crossed shopped the Genesis, but settled on a 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech Package (manual transmission). I do not have a single regret about purchasing this car:

It's comfortable
It's sporty
It handles really well
fun to drive
well equipped (my model anyways)
looks great

I think the reason that I chose the TL over the Genesis is purely based on looks. While the TL front end is highly debated, the car still looks more refined or mature than the Genesis.

My last car was a hopped up little racer, so when I was choosing a new car I wanted something a little more mature, something nice but still fun to drive.

The TL has met my needs and even surprised me along the way. I'm very happy with my car.

The Genesis is also a very nice car, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but if it were me, I would get the SH-AWD TL.

Good luck with whatever car you get =)
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The firm ride grew tiresome for me, and even if it had not totaled I would have eventually traded it out. this is coming for a 2x honda owner (which are firm by nature).

Sure it's comfortable when the roads are nice and flat, but it loses it's composure over any uneven or rough roads and becomes quite annoying. I think it's a combination of the larger wheel and the suspension. I had a few people occasionally asked me why it was so noisy.

In the base model however, I have traded some fun and handling for a much quieter, smoother, and more composed ride. I've gotten compliments on how smooth it is. It's pretty darn peaceful until i hit rough roads. IMO, this should be how the SHAWD feels.

I hope the MMC deals with this problem. I have a feeling that, much like the RDX, they'll revise the suspension for the mmc.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Cross shopped a Genesis, but the 2009. They had pretty bad suspension issues, plus the dealers I went to (2 different ones) were the worst I've been to. One even held my keys and wouldn't let me leave until I dialed the local police.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
Coming from the cars you've owned, I don't think you'd find the AWD's ride tiresome. It's quiet and very comfortable on the freeway.

You'll feel more of the road than you would in a Lexus or even an FWD TL, but then again, that's why a lot of us wanted the AWD car, for the firmer ride and handling.

I think many who complain of the AWD's "rough ride" are not used to a full-on sports sedan, which is what this car is.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Cross shopped a Genesis, but the 2009. They had pretty bad suspension issues, plus the dealers I went to (2 different ones) were the worst I've been to. One even held my keys and wouldn't let me leave until I dialed the local police.

Wait....hold on just one minute. Why did he make you dial the police?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hyundai has made great strides and they are making some really nice looking cards, but I still have concerns regarding their long-term reliability.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Back From The dead

quote=Steven Bell;12440555]Wait....hold on just one minute. Why did he make you dial the police?[/quote]
Sorry...he didn't make me. They pushed me far enough to call. They wouldn't bring the keys to me for over 20 minutes (after I decided to leave). I was actually yelling in the showroom (the first time ever for something like this) and they wouldn't bring them. It wasn't until I called the police that they brought them over. I left and they continued to call me for an hour after wards trying to bring me back. It was the single worst car buying experience I've ever had...and I've had a few
Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I have a question as well...why did they even have your keys? Usually to take a test drive they just need a copy of the driver's license. This is a lesson learned- if any dealer ever asks me for my keys, the answer will be absolutely not!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Probably didn't cross shop as seriously as some, but I did take test drives in both a V6 and a V8 Genesis. Nice cars. Not what I was looking for. They felt heavy.

I've had my TL SH AWD for over 6 months. Not a day goes by that I drive it and think...."this is a really nice car that's built well, handles well, is fast, and rides well."

In the end, the Genesis and the SH AWD are different cars (not to mention that you can't get AWD in the Genesis).
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Back From The dead

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I have a question as well...why did they even have your keys? Usually to take a test drive they just need a copy of the driver's license. This is a lesson learned- if any dealer ever asks me for my keys, the answer will be absolutely not!
They were evaluating my trade. They always need the keys
And I'm sure you know who the dealer is as it s/b near you. Brad Benson
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have been in a Genesis now if it had had FWD or AWD. I live in NYC and there's no way I'd want to be caught in a RWD car in the snow. I've heard thery made great improvements in the rear suspension since its first year. The car is an absolute steal. The fact that you have to deal with those horrible Hyundai dealerships is a real bummer, but not enough of a downer to be a deal breaker. If they put AWD in their cars I might jump right now. It's a beautiful car.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
In the end, the Genesis and the SH AWD are different cars (not to mention that you can't get AWD in the Genesis).
Pretty accurate statement IMHO. 2 totally different cars, w/the TL-AWD (especially the 6MT) labeled as "sporty" and the Genesis as "comfy."

The Genesis needs to offer AWD (I agree w/PsychDoc's statement above) before I would seriously consider it. No way I would be in a RWD vehicle in the Northwest and my frequent travels to the wintry mountains.

Having said that, I would give Hyundai a few more years to gauge their overall reliability before jumping ship. Their recent design, styling, and direction are all giant steps in the right direction.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
pretty accurate statement imho. 2 totally different cars, w/the tl-awd (especially the 6mt) labeled as "sporty" and the genesis as "comfy."

the genesis needs to offer awd (i agree w/psychdoc's statement above) before i would seriously consider it. No way i would be in a rwd vehicle in the northwest and my frequent travels to the wintry mountains.

Having said that, i would give hyundai a few more years to gauge their overall reliability before jumping ship. Their recent design, styling, and direction are all giant steps in the right direction.
+1
Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I seriously cross shopped it as I hated the 4G look and actually had paperwork on a Genesis all ready to go until the dealer scratched the car pulling it out of the showroom. They could not locate another one so I was back to G37 vs TL AWD. I woudl up inthe 4G AWD and loved it, but recently dumped it becasue I was tied of the beak and muted color. It was the best built car I ever owned. I find fate made the right decision for me. While I think the Hyundai is a great ride I think over time the seats woudl kill me, poor lumbar and lateral support. Also the rear suspension needed some serious refinement, which I hear they fixed in the 2010 models. Going into its third year I still like the looks of the Hyundai, but it is begininig to look overly plain and the interior is too simple, especially when you lok at the 2011 Sonata and Equus Interior styling. Hyundai needs to bring the 2012 Genesis interior inline with their new styling to revitalize the car.
Why am I not surprised...
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ERR0RMACR0
I crossed shopped the Genesis, but settled on a 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech Package (manual transmission). I do not have a single regret about purchasing this car:

It's comfortable
It's sporty
It handles really well
fun to drive
well equipped (my model anyways)
looks great

I think the reason that I chose the TL over the Genesis is purely based on looks. While the TL front end is highly debated, the car still looks more refined or mature than the Genesis.

My last car was a hopped up little racer, so when I was choosing a new car I wanted something a little more mature, something nice but still fun to drive.

The TL has met my needs and even surprised me along the way. I'm very happy with my car.

The Genesis is also a very nice car, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but if it were me, I would get the SH-AWD TL.

Good luck with whatever car you get =)

Two different cars classes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dethred
Well hyundai's reliability is still not that good yet because of the price of their cars is why they are able to push so many out.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Well hyundai's reliability is still not that good yet because of the price of their cars is why they are able to push so many out.
Recent reports show Hyundai and even Kia are average reliability, which is better than Chrysler, most of GM and the Germans.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Recent reports show Hyundai and even Kia are average reliability, which is better than Chrysler, most of GM and the Germans.
Well compared to how they used to be I am sure their reliability has gone up because people were avoiding their cars for a while.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Well compared to how they used to be I am sure their reliability has gone up because people were avoiding their cars for a while.
My family owns 4 Hyundais and all of them have been rock solid and they are all in NYC area where they get the crap beat out of them all the time, but the roads. They own 2 Sonotas, a Sante Fe and an Elantra, all several years old. They may not be in the Nissan/Honda/Toyota league yet, but when you look at the overall the numbers even average today is rock solid