Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rev: 2010 TL SH-AWD vs Lincoln mkZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rev: 2010 TL SH-AWD vs Lincoln mkZ

My 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT got rear ended nearly two months ago. After a few days in a Dodge Charger, I forced an upgrade to a new 2010 Lincoln mkZ. Now I've got my TL back. So I thought I'd post my comparitive thoughts.

My previous three cars were Audis, so I'm accustomed to a higher standard of luxury than the TL has. This may bias my view; just be aware of that.

• Interior: About equal. Both are really nice, not Audi nice, but certainly nice.
  • Noise: The Lincoln is much quieter than the Acura. Both road and engine noise are more pronounced (and not in the "sporty" way) in the TL. That doesn't mean the TL is bad, just that the mkZ is really good; it's quieter than my recollection of Audis also.
    Despite the size, the TL is easier to fit into smaller spaces. I suspect it has better turning, but it may just be that I've learned it.
  • Space: Both cars are large. I think the TL is larger, but the mkZ's space is more usable. Especially the trunk, which is Audi-like in size and has a flat floor and folding seats. The TL has an origami floor and no folding seats. Pathetic really.
  • Reversing: Neither car has great rear vision, but the TL has better vision and has the backup camera. The mkZ I drove had a backup warning system, but the camera is better.
  • Performance: The TL has fantastic acceleration and handling. The mkZ I drove was FWD (my TL is AWD) and had an automatic (with manual mode); it's a fine performer but with vicious torque steer and neither the acceleration nor cornering are near the TL. The mkZ can be had with AWD; don't know if that would have helped.

Both have large powerful V6 engines. Not sure but I think the mkZ has more low-end torque. It certainly felt that way, but it could have been gearing.
  • Radio/Tech: The TL's tech system is very impressive. The mkZ I drove had a pretty feature-laden system but without a large nav screen. Still...
    • The TL puts the steering wheel audio controls on the left, where they belong (since the radio is to the right.) The Lincoln has them on the right.
    • The mkZ has a proper voice control system; you can name the artist or playlist or song by saying it and it will, with reasonable accuracy, go there. The TL has the crappiest voice control system I've ever run into, and getting to the song "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon on a fully loaded iPod is essentially impossible on the TL.
    • In fact the TL's system is so crappy that it can't even switch artists on the iPod by voice, even though it can do so on the HDD (with HDD Artist Down).
    • The TL can switch between iPod, HDD and Aux. This is important to me because I use all three, especially iPod and Aux, aux having podcasts on a second iPod (one that isn't always in the car.) The mkZ can not use the Aux input if the USB (iPod) is connected. So I'd have to unplug the USB-connected iPod to listen to the aux input.
    • The TL's phone system is much more intuitive; can easily make and hang up calls. I never did figure out how to hang up a call on the mkZ.
  • Seats: The mkZ has more comfortable seats - no Marquis de Sade head restraints designed to increase chiropractic services. They also are "ventilated"; both heating and cooling can come from them. But the TL seat heater remembers when you turn the car back on (it's a hard switch), which is more convenient when it's cold out.

The TL seats grab better (more bolstering) during cornering. This isn't really an issue for the mkZ; it can't corner as well as the TL anyhow.
  • Seat Memory: Both work the same. The mkZ has an "easy entry" mode where the seats move way back when the engine is off, and way up when it's turned on. I hated that and turned it off, but if you're chubby (e.g. the TL headrestraints don't bug you), this might be useful.
  • Cruise Control: The TL's cruise control controls are more logical. It remembers that cruise was on, and turning it on isn't a strange switch. The mkZ requires you hit the inside of a rocker switch to turn on cruise, when the other switches in the column aren't even rockers, and it requires it every time the car is turned off.
  • Windshield Wipers: The mkZ has waaaay too many settings for this. The TL seems more logical. This may just require adjustment.
  • General Notes/Annoyances:
    • Every day the mkZ would ask, "Do you want to run a vehicle health report?", interrupting anything else on the radio. The only choices are Yes (which fails) or "Later" which means tomorrow. There didn't seem to be any way to prevent this.
    • But I could never get AcuraLink working in the TL either. At least that doesn't make lots of noise.
    • The Lincoln mkZ doesn't have (or need) a gas cap. I have no opinion on the value of this.
    • The mkZ has more functional side mirrors.
    • Both have comprehensive trip computers. The TL's seems more featured, but that may be due to the display difference; the mkZ has two lines of text rather than the TL's LCD monitor (in the instrument panel) approach.
Overall... both are good cars. It wouldn't take much to improve either one into being a great car. Both are fast, comfortable (except the head restraints in the TL) and spacious. Different trade offs, probably about the same total value.
Again, just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
acura needs to work on the road noise for the shawd model. Make it at least as quiet as my base model, then i may get back into one. nice review dude!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Nice review "Techno"
Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The MKZ is essentially a touring luxury car aimed at a more mature (i.e. older) driver (same as the Buick Regal/LaCross). I don't think it competes directly with the TL at all....more against the Buick Regal/LaCross, Lexus ES350, and Volvo S60. The TL is a much more sportier car, esp. in SH-AWD form....you get sportier suspension, bigger wheels, summer tires, and louder exhaust......the car is meant to be loud.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Good review, very comprehensive.

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
acura needs to work on the road noise for the shawd model. Make it at least as quiet as my base model, then i may get back into one. nice review dude!
I think better tires will help out greatly here, the stock MX's are total crap. But I hope they don't make it quieter... I don't want a freaking Lexus that totally disconnects me from the outside.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the TL get the Active Sound Control system that the TSX V6 gets?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not for 2010, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by petec2010
Good review, very comprehensive.

I think better tires will help out greatly here, the stock MX's are total crap. But I hope they don't make it quieter... I don't want a freaking Lexus that totally disconnects me from the outside.
I don't want lexus "isolation" either, it's too quiet, too disconnected like you said.

IMO, the base TL is perfect. Quiet, smooth, no need for noise cancellation (but why isn't it avail??) Either way i'm going to look at the mmc TL SHAWD when it comes out haha

If you've seen my other posts/threads, I'm going to give this base model TL to my mom when the next gen (full or mid) cycle luxury cars come out. yayyy
Old 05-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
I hear the MKS comes with a complimentary hip replacement surgery.

Good comparison and contrasting though.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Lincoln targets a different market than the TL, or 3 Series, or the A4/5/6, or the Infiniti G.

All the above are sports sedans. Lincoln makes no bones about wanting to play in the luxury arena.

Probably a better comparison would be a Taurus SHO (which I test drove before buying my TL). While it was BIG and HEAVY, and wallowed a lot more than I liked, it had some pretty amazing performance.....particularly in the acceleration dept (probably tops among all of those mentioned above).

I wouldn't think of taking a Lincoln on a drive through winding roads. However, a long cross country trip? I'd probably like one for something along those lines.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
The MKZ is essentially a touring luxury car aimed at a more mature (i.e. older) driver (same as the Buick Regal/LaCross). I don't think it competes directly with the TL at all....more against the Buick Regal/LaCross, Lexus ES350, and Volvo S60. The TL is a much more sportier car, esp. in SH-AWD form....you get sportier suspension, bigger wheels, summer tires, and louder exhaust......the car is meant to be loud.
The funny thing is the TL, even AWD, is NOT by any means loud. Not even a little bit.

Try driving a 350Z, a G35/37, FX... hell, even a V6 Altima... those cars can be considered loud.

It really depends where you come from and what you expect from a car. Do you want total luxury of not hearing ANYTHING that's going on outside, including hearing your engine revving? Or do you want to hear at least some part of what your car is doing.

I, for one, wouldn't mind a slightly louder exhaust on the AWD. Something tame in normal driving, but lets you know who's boss when you step on it.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chinolatte
The funny thing is the TL, even AWD, is NOT by any means loud. Not even a little bit.

Try driving a 350Z, a G35/37, FX... hell, even a V6 Altima... those cars can be considered loud.

It really depends where you come from and what you expect from a car. Do you want total luxury of not hearing ANYTHING that's going on outside, including hearing your engine revving? Or do you want to hear at least some part of what your car is doing.

I, for one, wouldn't mind a slightly louder exhaust on the AWD. Something tame in normal driving, but lets you know who's boss when you step on it.
If you want something louder, try putting in a Takeda intake. It's completely normal when you're just cruising but as soon as you slam on the gas, it sounds almost like a Mustang GT!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Nice review. I do agree that compared to the AWD TL the Lincoln doesn't compare being more touring luxury, but against a FWD TL the two compare nicely.

It would have been interesting as well if you had gotten the MKZ with AWD as well as the sport package with the sport suspension and shocks and styling bits and yadda.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Yes, but there's only so much you can ask for in an insurance-provided rental!

I was quite impressed with the Lincoln. It's not the car for me... a bit too sedate. But I now know the TL SH-AWD 6MT isn't quite the car for me either... a bit too large and missing too many finishing touches (headrestraints, flat trunk, folding seats, celsius, etc) that come in similarly equipped (and $8K more expensive) German sports-sedans. The annoyance of it all is that for Acura to make the TL perfect for me would have cost them maybe $800 more, total. Maybe in Gen 5.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've given some consideration to the MKZ myself early next year when my 08 lease is up. Lincoln is (was) aggressively pricing it with a $3500 rebate. I understand they are bringing out a hybrid version next year.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chinolatte

agreed. my tl-s was way louder then my new sh-awd. when i first got into the sh-awd i didn't like it because i could not hear the engine. I agree on the 350z and infinity g. they are very loud inside. too loud for my taste. its not the exhaust loud. its revving engine loud.

One VERY annoying noise i noticed after paying attention, is you can hear gas slushing around. Its so Fing annoying. Everyday when i leave my driveway in reverse, splash, clunk, splash. It sounds like my belly when i'm full of beer. Has anyone else heard this???
Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TechnoCat

I was quite impressed with the Lincoln. It's not the car for me... a bit too sedate. But I now know the TL SH-AWD 6MT isn't quite the car for me either... a bit too large and missing too many finishing touches (headrestraints, flat trunk, folding seats, celsius, etc) that come in similarly equipped (and $8K more expensive) German sports-sedans. The annoyance of it all is that for Acura to make the TL perfect for me would have cost them maybe $800 more, total. Maybe in Gen 5.
Perhaps a CC VR6?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jpmunoz
agreed. my tl-s was way louder then my new sh-awd. when i first got into the sh-awd i didn't like it because i could not hear the engine. I agree on the 350z and infinity g. they are very loud inside. too loud for my taste. its not the exhaust loud. its revving engine loud.

One VERY annoying noise i noticed after paying attention, is you can hear gas slushing around. Its so Fing annoying. Everyday when i leave my driveway in reverse, splash, clunk, splash. It sounds like my belly when i'm full of beer. Has anyone else heard this???
I've heard it. I think it usually only happens when the tank is full or near full though.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat

TechnoCat, just out of curiosity, if the 5G TL has a more conventional head restraint, flat trunk, folding rear seats, Celsius display, etc, would you trade the 4G in? What if the SH-AWD was reset to 50/50 split at default?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Olu
Instructor

Thanks for the review. I've been seeing ALOT of MKZ around lately (at least 2-3 per day). They look nice and was curious what the hubub was about.

I have to disagree with your comparisons to Audi. I'm not sure which Audi's you've owned but I will speak on the Audi 80/90s, A4 and A6.

What is considered an 'appealing' interior can vary widely. Audi interiors a decade ago were amazing. Soft curves, coherent and intuitive design, various materials of high quality. They were THE industry standard. However I've found their recent interiors to be cheaper, too austere, and disjointed. Not only that, but until the most recent models they were SEVERELY lacking in cabin technology.

As a huge VAG fan (I've owned a Jetta VR6, 2 V6 Passats, 20th anniversary Golf GTi), I've always thought that the VW interiors were (and still are), more coherent, welcoming, and of high quality. Now that I can afford an Audi, the interior (and quality) is exactly what kept me from purchasing one this time around

Just my 2cents
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Racer

Olu, you could be right; I didn't really look at Audis this most recent time around because they didn't have a 6-cylinder 6MT Quattro 4-door at a rational (sub$50K) price.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
TechnoCat, just out of curiosity, if the 5G TL has a more conventional head restraint, flat trunk, folding rear seats, Celsius display, etc, would you trade the 4G in? What if the SH-AWD was reset to 50/50 split at default?
Absolutely. I'm seriously considering trading it in for a BMW even though it's only eight months old, but if they fixed that stuff, I'd be happy saving some coin and gaining some reliability with the Acura.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Olu
Thanks for the review. I've been seeing ALOT of MKZ around lately (at least 2-3 per day). They look nice and was curious what the hubub was about.

I have to disagree with your comparisons to Audi. I'm not sure which Audi's you've owned but I will speak on the Audi 80/90s, A4 and A6.

What is considered an 'appealing' interior can vary widely. Audi interiors a decade ago were amazing. Soft curves, coherent and intuitive design, various materials of high quality. They were THE industry standard. However I've found their recent interiors to be cheaper, too austere, and disjointed. Not only that, but until the most recent models they were SEVERELY lacking in cabin technology.

As a huge VAG fan (I've owned a Jetta VR6, 2 V6 Passats, 20th anniversary Golf GTi), I've always thought that the VW interiors were (and still are), more coherent, welcoming, and of high quality. Now that I can afford an Audi, the interior (and quality) is exactly what kept me from purchasing one this time around

Just my 2cents

I wouldn't exactly say the interiors have gotten worse. Anyways, the bottom pic shows the S-line package which comes with w/aluminum trim....makes the whole appearance a lot more sportier which some people prefer. If you look at the newer A6/A8 interiors, they look as every bit as luxurious and I would say even better, than they did 5-6 years ago. To me, I much prefer the interior in an Audi than anything from BMW or Mercedes.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Audi interiors have only gone up by my judgement. It's hard to depict that by showing a dark interior with metal trim against a light huge with wood trim. Wood and light tones almost always give it an instand warm feeling in comparison.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Olu
Instructor

I think this looks even worse. I picked the top of line because I thought it looked better.

Historically Audi interiors have ALWAYS look better then BMW (I never said they didn't). However MB has made a great comeback and are on par with Audi.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I hate that tone of wood and gray. It looks cheap. Tan with wood looks warm and inviting.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I hate that tone of wood and gray. It looks cheap. Tan with wood looks warm and inviting.

Agreed and I'd love to score the internet to get exact matches, but some folks got to work

1996 A4

2009 A4[/img]