Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recurring Problems w/brand new TL w/Tech Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recurring Problems w/brand new TL w/Tech Package

Hello Friends,

Been researching for my next vehicle purchase for a month and a half (I'm extremely thorough). This TL gets greats reviews everywhere and is rated among the highest for reliability by JDPower and of course Hondas have always had a rep for dependability and quality, and Acura is part of Honda Motors sooooo...

It seems troubling that so many people post about bad speakers in their brand new TL w/ tech. I am a HUGE AUDIOPHILE, but honestly not so much that I would want to replace any speakers in my new vehicle for aftermarket. In the past that has only caused other strange problems with my vehicle.

My question, the problems seem more prevalent on the newly redesigned 2009 model. Was it all fixed in 2010 or 2011? Also, are there any other recurring problems with brand new 2011 TLs? I'll be buying the 2012 if anything but the responses will still be relevant I'm sure.

I've looked at BMW 328xi, and no good cause bad fuel pumps and BMWs are always in the shop as the saying goes. Buick LaCrosse CXL, no good, cause bad quality parts and GM could go under again (another Bailout is unlikely under current Congress) so gone for good. Hyundai Genesis, no good cause no AWD option. Subaru Legacy, no good cause I know nothing about them. Lexus IS250 AWD and Audi A4 Premium could be good, I need to look into them further.

What do you guys think? Is there a highly reliable sedan with AWD and a high quality sound system with the highest ratings from NHTSA and IIHS? I'm dying here friends!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the HPFP issue is for the 335, not the 328.. since it doesn't have one..

haven't heard many problems with the 328

as an audiophile myself, the TL's speakers aren't bad. I don't have a problem with them. A few members here have had their speakers blow early on though.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
The short answer is the Acura is one of the most reliable luxury cars on the market. I had the speaker issue twice with my 2009 tl which I contribute to 1. Using bass boost on my iphone, and 2. slamming the car door shut. Since I have corrected both of these problems I have had no further problems with the door speakers. I have had no other issue with my TL since. It has shown itself to be VERY reliable. Amazing so, especially for a first year car
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purchased on 2011 Tech Tech 2 weeks ago. We're not audiophiles to the extent you are, but the TL has by far the best sounding audio system we've had in any of our vehicles. But, I guess that all depends on what your used to. I can tell you that there are not any "bad speakers" in our TL.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I had one front door speaker replaced (blown) (blown with out any abuse from me) under warranty - there is a tsb about it. That is the only issue if have had

bmw reliability - ck out http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 the bmw forum

or you could wait for this:

Caught Testing: 2012 Ford Taurus SHO - Spy Shots
Ford’s 400-horsepower family sedan spotted. - spy photographers have caught the 2012 Taurus SHO, Ford’s twin-turbocharged all-wheel-drive family sedan

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...ord-taurus-sho
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
the more common of issues, is the rattling rear deck.. its not the speaker, but the plastics surrounding it... i know a few folks have had speakers blow on them as well

i am an "audiophile" and just an FYI, this is the best car audio system... EVER... opinion? not according to edmunds.com

in fact, the TL (tech package) beat out the Lexus LS, Jaguar XF, and many other high end competitors.. it is, by far, the greatest sound system i have ever heard in a car, that was OEM
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 AM
7th Gear

Hey Friends,

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate your help in making this huge decision!! A few more questions...

jasonwdp10, I didn't know the 328 and 335 didn't share the same engine, thanks for setting me straight.

dwest1023, I appreciate the vote of confidence. I am leaning toward this vehicle but am still discouraged about the speaker issue.

Lawtyger, thanks for telling me you've had no problems with your 2011, it helps me think that Acura had some early issues, but may have been squashed afterwards.

crxb, what year model do you have and did you buy brand new? Thanks for the links also.

BLACKURA_NY, thank you for pointing out the rattle in the rear deck issue. Is there a fix for the rattle if it's still persistant onto the 2012 model? I appreciate you telling me that you're an Audiophile also, and that you say it's the best OEM setup ever.

Has anyone else heard of any other recurring problems with their purchased "new" TL 2011? Also, has everyone had good service at their local dealership under warranty service?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I have car ADD

^ the deck issue was more common on 09 and early 2010 models. i have a late 2010, no issues what-so-ever

yes, there is a fix for it. check in the 4G Garage
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
i believe the late model 2010 (which is what i have) corrected everything.

i havent had any issues with my car yet.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, I've blown one speaker, left front, I was bumping Ludacris' "How Low Can You Go!" with as much bass as the system could muster while hanging out one Saturday night because a few ladies wanted to hear it and dance. It was AMAZING! However, I paid the price, one blown speaker. But the freaking system is all that and a large bag of dirty chips...W/sea salt! LOL!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
A 2010 SH-AWD w/Tech Package owner here with no blown speakers or rear deck rattles since November 2009.

And no to BMW's, they just aren't reliable. Was behind a 535 yesterday and I thought it was a Hyundai Sonata.

The Buick LaCrosse CXL, GM still has quality issues and Buicks are for old people.(Sorry)

Hyundai Genesis, no AWD option.

Subaru Legacy, good cars and they are safe & reliable, BUT do not like the new design and in a different league.

Lexus IS250 AWD, too small and Toyota needs to get it's act together.

Audi A4 Premium, another unreliable overpriced car. That's why people lease not buy because they don't last.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
OP, keep in mind that you won't find widespread information on the web from all the people who have perfectly good speakers and have had no problems. You typically hear the most from those who did have problems. This isn't isolated to Acura and speakers, it could be any manufacturer and any part. You probably won't find any threads on the BMW forums about how great someones HPFP is, you only start a thread when it's broken.

The TL tech package has a very powerful (for stock) stereo system. If you pump the bass up tp the max, I wouldn't doubt that you could blow the speakers especially if you are playing something that is pretty heavy with bass.

I didn't blame Honda when I blew the door speakers in my Prelude, I blamed Les Claypool, the bass player from Primus.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

The 18th of this month will be one year with Grace...no rattles or noises that I haven't heard in any other vehicle that I test drove. In fact, I am finding that as she is broken in she's more flexible and endearing with a few miles under the belt.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced

i have a base non-tech 2010 tl n everyday i wish i got the tech......well make it short........what can i do to the speakers ,etc, to make it sound close to the tech?
thanx guys
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
4 Cars

Originally Posted by neoendedsmith
Hello Friends,

Been researching for my next vehicle purchase for a month and a half (I'm extremely thorough). This TL gets greats reviews everywhere and is rated among the highest for reliability by JDPower and of course Hondas have always had a rep for dependability and quality, and Acura is part of Honda Motors sooooo...

It seems troubling that so many people post about bad speakers in their brand new TL w/ tech. I am a HUGE AUDIOPHILE, but honestly not so much that I would want to replace any speakers in my new vehicle for aftermarket. In the past that has only caused other strange problems with my vehicle.

My question, the problems seem more prevalent on the newly redesigned 2009 model. Was it all fixed in 2010 or 2011? Also, are there any other recurring problems with brand new 2011 TLs? I'll be buying the 2012 if anything but the responses will still be relevant I'm sure.

I've looked at BMW 328xi, and no good cause bad fuel pumps and BMWs are always in the shop as the saying goes. Buick LaCrosse CXL, no good, cause bad quality parts and GM could go under again (another Bailout is unlikely under current Congress) so gone for good. Hyundai Genesis, no good cause no AWD option. Subaru Legacy, no good cause I know nothing about them. Lexus IS250 AWD and Audi A4 Premium could be good, I need to look into them further.

What do you guys think? Is there a highly reliable sedan with AWD and a high quality sound system with the highest ratings from NHTSA and IIHS? I'm dying here friends!!
Wife’s Cars, 2000 Honda Accord, V6, 119K miles, Zero problems traded in March 2009 for a 2009 Acura TSX, 23K miles, no problems, has ELS sound system.. Sold off my 1995 Nissan Quest.. Tons of issues over its 128K mile life. Retired my 2005 Honda Pilot to weekend only use where a SUV is required, 86K miles, Zero Problems. Got my 2010 SH-AWD Tech in Feb 2010, 11K miles, Zero Problems and I play my radio loud but not so loud it hurts my 63 year old ears. These are very reliable cars... Loved my 1980 Audi 5000S, unless it was in the shop having its throttle body replaced... My daughter just picked up a 2000 Volvo S90, 98K miles, and she told me over the weekend that the throttle body is defective and Volvo wants $1K to fix it... So for Honda America-Acura,,
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
Wife’s Cars, 2000 Honda Accord, V6, 119K miles, Zero problems traded in March 2009 for a 2009 Acura TSX, 23K miles, no problems, has ELS sound system.. Sold off my 1995 Nissan Quest.. Tons of issues over its 128K mile life. Retired my 2005 Honda Pilot to weekend only use where a SUV is required, 86K miles, Zero Problems. Got my 2010 SH-AWD Tech in Feb 2010, 11K miles, Zero Problems and I play my radio loud but not so loud it hurts my 63 year old ears. These are very reliable cars... Loved my 1980 Audi 5000S, unless it was in the shop having its throttle body replaced... My daughter just picked up a 2000 Volvo S90, 98K miles, and she told me over the weekend that the throttle body is defective and Volvo wants $1K to fix it... So for Honda America-Acura,,
There are a lot of us with very similar Honda/Acura stories. That's why a lot of us are here, right?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced

can someone answer my question above?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by cl0ud8888
i have a base non-tech 2010 tl n everyday i wish i got the tech......well make it short........what can i do to the speakers ,etc, to make it sound close to the tech?
thanx guys
complete different system. you can swap for all OEM parts, but its costly

buy 2 aftermarket amps, a couple new speakers and a sub. you'll probably need a JL360 to keep 5.1 surround functioning.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced

can i just change all the doors speakers n bak sub to make it sound betta?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by cl0ud8888
can i just change all the doors speakers n bak sub to make it sound betta?
Don't you lease your car? I thought you weren't allowed to modify leased vehicles...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The stereo alone is worth the extra cost, and also includes a spoiler, push button start, keyless touch entry, navi and back-up camera. I cannot understand not getting it. I also cannot see not getting the SHAWD. i would always be wondering how good it could be.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
The stereo alone is worth the extra cost, and also includes a spoiler, push button start, keyless touch entry, navi and back-up camera. I cannot understand not getting it. I also cannot see not getting the SHAWD. i would always be wondering how good it could be.
Agree totally about the tech package after two weeks. Wasn't planning to get it because of cost when we were thinking about getting an MDX but when we decided to get a TL first since it was more reasonable we went ahead and got it. One thing is for sure, when we do get an MDX it WILL have the Tech Package. Many of the things I told myself I didn't need, I really like and would hate not to have now. The audio system is really great, the backup camera has come in really handy, and something as simple as the push button start I really would miss.

We did not get the SHAWD on the TL though. I do sort of wonder if I should have gotten it, but the plan was for my wife to take the TL when we bought the MDX and she didn't want it. I love how my TL drives, based on MY driving I'm guessing less than 1% of the time it would be cool to have the extra power and hear the heftier exhaust sound.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Let me help you. I did not get AWD cus NO acura or not many cars for that matter will handle like my modified Miata. So, I saw no need to pay extra. For bad weather I have my pickup.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

Hello Friends,

Thank you all for your replies, I now have the confidence needed to make my next purchase an Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package!!

I'm gonna start a couple new threads now =)
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Let me help you. I did not get AWD cus NO acura or not many cars for that matter will handle like my modified Miata. So, I saw no need to pay extra. For bad weather I have my pickup.
Oxymoron, ironic, not sure where that truly falls...not sure if a pickup truck is ideal for bad weather, to unbalanced; light in the ass, plus it's top heavy. The miata is a mod and smaller, I'd say it surely has the advantage, but were talking tomatoes to tomatoes here, that's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. In it's realm of the SH-AWD is the artillery you want to pack when you're talking fire power.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Don't forget the side mirrors in the Tech package that tilt down when the car is in reverse. (Left or right only, selected with the mirror switch.) This and the back-up camera make parallel parking much easier, especially given the TL's high rear deck. Crunching the rims on the curb or side of the car on a low obstacle or rock-hard snow bank is now a thing of the past for me.

I lived with the supposedly premium Bose sound systems in my 1987 Legend and 2000 TL for 23 years and didn't know how good a real sound system could be until the ELS system in my 2010 TL Tech.

I'm spoiled now. Every car I buy from now on will have to have all these goodies. With the weekly snowstorms this past winter in Boston, I sometimes regretted not getting SH-AWD. But getting real snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzak WS70) midwinter made a huge difference over the stock Michelin all seasons (which felt dangerous in even a little snow) and almost made up for the lack of AWD. I don't normally drive as *ahem* exuberantly as some of you guys in the dry weather, so I think I have the right set-up for me. Then again I'll probably spring for the SH-AWD TL in 10-12 years.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asynchro
Don't forget the side mirrors in the Tech package that tilt down when the car is in reverse. (Left or right only, selected with the mirror switch.) This and the back-up camera make parallel parking much easier, especially given the TL's high rear deck. Crunching the rims on the curb or side of the car on a low obstacle or rock-hard snow bank is now a thing of the past for me.

I lived with the supposedly premium Bose sound systems in my 1987 Legend and 2000 TL for 23 years and didn't know how good a real sound system could be until the ELS system in my 2010 TL Tech.

I'm spoiled now. Every car I buy from now on will have to have all these goodies. With the weekly snowstorms this past winter in Boston, I sometimes regretted not getting SH-AWD. But getting real snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzak WS70) midwinter made a huge difference over the stock Michelin all seasons (which felt dangerous in even a little snow) and almost made up for the lack of AWD. I don't normally drive as *ahem* exuberantly as some of you guys in the dry weather, so I think I have the right set-up for me. Then again I'll probably spring for the SH-AWD TL in 10-12 years.
just wait for the 5gtl, we're about 2.5 years away
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Agree totally about the tech package after two weeks. Wasn't planning to get it because of cost when we were thinking about getting an MDX but when we decided to get a TL first since it was more reasonable we went ahead and got it. One thing is for sure, when we do get an MDX it WILL have the Tech Package. Many of the things I told myself I didn't need, I really like and would hate not to have now. The audio system is really great, the backup camera has come in really handy, and something as simple as the push button start I really would miss.

We did not get the SHAWD on the TL though. I do sort of wonder if I should have gotten it, but the plan was for my wife to take the TL when we bought the MDX and she didn't want it. I love how my TL drives, based on MY driving I'm guessing less than 1% of the time it would be cool to have the extra power and hear the heftier exhaust sound.

The push button start was what sold me Such a nice litte creature comfort that I can't imagine not having now (it's only been 2 weeks!). Also, being able to walk up to the car and touch the door handle and have the car unlock is *AMAZING* - no more digging in my purse for keys that are buried somewhere at the bottom.

Don't forget the defrost feature on the side mirrors, in addition to their ability to go down when in reverse. The auto-dimming rearview mirror has been a surprise feature that I really enjoy as well (I log the majority of my miles on I95).

I can't wait to see how the SH-AWD handles in the snow. We've had a lot of hard rain, and it's been great. The true test is a MD winter
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Is it only with the Tech package that the side mirrors go down? My 04 base did the same thing and I wouldn't think Acura would eliminate it on the 4g base. In any event, I guess it's a moot point as the Tech package is worth every penny regardless.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Is it only with the Tech package that the side mirrors go down? My 04 base did the same thing and I wouldn't think Acura would eliminate it on the 4g base. In any event, I guess it's a moot point as the Tech package is worth every penny regardless.
My old '08 base also had tilt side mirrors.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Shellyduchsk8s
I can't wait to see how the SH-AWD handles in the snow. We've had a lot of hard rain, and it's been great. The true test is a MD winter
SH-AWD is awesome in the snow. Extremely confident and excellent grip ; My prior FWD TSX did not compare. (btw: I have 19" all-seasons HPT on my TL.)

During the snow storms in Seattle where it literally decimates the area due to: 1) hills and steep inclines in the area, and 2) factor in the county does a poor job at best sanding and salting the freeways; most back roads never gets touched.

This winter my TL took me to work safely in the snow, ice, and freezing treacherous back route I take. I saw plenty of trucks, suvs, and cars stuck on the side of the road and hills. I was initially mortified at the conditions, but confidence grew as I felt the SH-AWD torque vectoring grip at work

Even my wife (who drives an AWD RX330, which does a good job on the snow as well) was very impressed with the way the TL trounced the snow and ice, and she's a hard one to please
Old 04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Shellyduchsk8s
The push button start was what sold me Such a nice litte creature comfort that I can't imagine not having now (it's only been 2 weeks!). Also, being able to walk up to the car and touch the door handle and have the car unlock is *AMAZING* - no more digging in my purse for keys that are buried somewhere at the bottom.

Don't forget the defrost feature on the side mirrors, in addition to their ability to go down when in reverse. The auto-dimming rearview mirror has been a surprise feature that I really enjoy as well (I log the majority of my miles on I95).

You are so right. When I go to drive my Wife's RDX, I reach for the door handle but it does not unlock, and when I go to press the start button it is not there.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
But it seems that this passive keyless-entry/pushbutton-start feature is posing a security risk these days.

I read from CNN a little while ago that sophisticated thieves now carry a simple wireless repeater to open up and drive away passive-keyed vehicles. Since the passive key is transmitting it's presence all the time, those wireless repeaters have powerful receivers to sniff out the passive key's constantly transmitting signal from even a long distance (e.g., when the driver has just parked his/her car and then walks away out of visual range), then play back the same signal or code right next to the car.

Does anyone know if Acura has the rolling code feature that is immune to this code grabbing attack ?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
My 2010 TL SH-AWD Base has tilting mirrors. Left or right one only.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by docboy
SH-AWD is awesome in the snow. Extremely confident and excellent grip ; My prior FWD TSX did not compare. (btw: I have 19" all-seasons HPT on my TL.)

During the snow storms in Seattle where it literally decimates the area due to: 1) hills and steep inclines in the area, and 2) factor in the county does a poor job at best sanding and salting the freeways; most back roads never gets touched.

This winter my TL took me to work safely in the snow, ice, and freezing treacherous back route I take. I saw plenty of trucks, suvs, and cars stuck on the side of the road and hills. I was initially mortified at the conditions, but confidence grew as I felt the SH-AWD torque vectoring grip at work

Even my wife (who drives an AWD RX330, which does a good job on the snow as well) was very impressed with the way the TL trounced the snow and ice, and she's a hard one to please
I assume you turn off VSC when you drive in snow? Thanks,
Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rafcio53
My 2010 TL SH-AWD Base has tilting mirrors. Left or right one only.
That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing it up.