Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Consumption Theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance

The 5K oil change interval is something that will help the issue but it isn't a solution. Acura needs to step up and realize that 1 quart or more per 1K miles is not acceptable.
The issue at hand is that even though Acura knows of the problem, Acura is not acknowledging that it's 3.7L-V6 consumes excessive oil, so that it will not need to incur the huge rebuilt/replacement cost for the warranty repairs.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermoguy
Today I took my car in for the B16 service. This includes an oil change. My car has almost 9K miles on it since the last oil change. Ever since reading the posts about the AWD cars using more oil I have been checking it regularly. Twice I have had to add oil, once at 5K miles after the last oil change and once a few thousand miles later. It was down about 1/4 on the dipstick this morning - warm engine.

I asked the service writer if he was aware of these cars "using" more oil than a normal car. I told him I have never owned a car where I had to check the oil between oil changes. He told me this is because of how many miles I have driven since my last oil change. He told me I should never go so far between changes and should be changing it every 3500 to 5K miles.... I said - what? The other service writers at this same dealership have told me to follow the MID and not to bring it in before the car says to bring it in. He told me that is incorrect information and that I should not wait that long to bring it in. 5K is about the max I should go without an oil change... I explained to him that I have 73K miles and twice I brought it in before the MID told me to and twice the service writers told me it was too soon... He disagreed and said the MID is not there to tell you when to bring it in for service but only to tell you if you forgot and went too long without a change...

I found this info very interesting and very contradictory to comments on this site as well as the cars manual if I recall correctly...

Also, they gave me a TLX for a loaner car. I kind of like it, but not nearly the car my SH-AWD is... reminds me of a TSX or Honda.
I would have laughed in his face. I've found most SA's I've met over the years at Acura seem to have a basic understanding of cars....just enough to sell services/parts to someone.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Understand Acura should accept the issue and resolve accordingly but assuming they wont, what will this due to engine life ? Assume I never let the oil get below half on the dip stick, will the engine have a shortened life vs an engine that doesn't consume oil ?

My car currently is consuming approx. a quart over 3-4K miles so I'm not wasting my time with the dealer at this point.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL
Understand Acura should accept the issue and resolve accordingly but assuming they wont, what will this due to engine life ? Assume I never let the oil get below half on the dip stick, will the engine have a shortened life vs an engine that doesn't consume oil ?

My car currently is consuming approx. a quart over 3-4K miles so I'm not wasting my time with the dealer at this point.
The answer depends on the root cause of the issue. If it's the piston rings that are wearing due the cylinder walls, the oil consumption will probably get worse eventually leading to a bigger loss in power, clogging the cats, and coating the whole insides of the engine due to our Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR).

I would suggest that you guys install an oil catch can and see how much oil you collect. As well this may help reduce the burning of oil thus preventing EGR issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought this was an interesting read. Consumer Reports finds some new cars burn too much oil
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hypersun
I thought this was an interesting read. Consumer Reports finds some new cars burn too much oil
Just got that issue in the mail today. Great/comprehensive article, and this online article adds a bit more information. I guess we should be lucky we don't have a BMW M3, lol. However I wouldn't mind borrowing one for a few months.

BTW, my oil consumption testing after the dealer engine treatment:

1st 1,000 miles, no oil lost
2nd 1,000 miles, 1/4 quart lost

So either the engine treatment made a difference, or the loss is just all over the board, and I may lose more the next 1,000 miles. But oh well, I feel a lot better now after reading the Consumer Reports issue today....and feel bad for Audi and BMW owners. From the full article:

"In a recent technical service bulletin, Audi recommended that 'the customer always have a spare quart of engine oil in case the engine oil needs topping off while on the road.' BMW outlines such consumption as part of its manufacturer specifications. You can even purchase a traveling case for oil, to affix in the car's trunk."

Good Christmas stocking stuffer, but I guess you don't buy Audi/BMW for reliability and cheap maintenance.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:31 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

What did the dealer do for the engine treatment ?

I know, back in the old days, Honda dealerships used to throw in a bottle of STP oil treatment in one of those maintenance services.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

What did the dealer do for the engine treatment ?

I know, back in the old days, Honda dealerships used to throw in a bottle of STP oil treatment in one of those maintenance services.
They claim they drain the oil, put in new oil with some additive that cleans up carbon deposits from piston rings and other areas where carbon can build up (I assume from the burned oil). They let the engine run for X number of minutes, drain the oil and put in new oil. They said the new oil also has a different additive that keeps working but doesn't require drainage till the next scheduled oil change.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Instructor

^...they also said it's recommended every 30,000 miles. Could be snake oil stuff, but they said it has helped cars that burn some oil.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
dudes, you all know that we all know what causes this right?

ringland is broken causing oil consumption
I know on my 3.7 for what ever reason, it seems to have higher crankcase pressures resulting in more oil being pulled up into the intake via the breather tube/pcv valve. Id be curious to see someone with the consumption issue to put on a oil catch can and monitor the amount in the catch can vs the amount low to see if it corresponds.