Newly Refined 2012 Acura TL To Debut At Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
why is everyone bickering about the grille, it's only cosmetic, go get a set of Ron Jon and you're all set. the important thing here is whether the '12 TL gets the 6 speed auto like the RL is getting. at least to me that will the be deal breaker for me if i decide to trade in my Evo for the '12 TL.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
why is everyone bickering about the grille, it's only cosmetic, go get a set of Ron Jon and you're all set. the important thing here is whether the '12 TL gets the 6 speed auto like the RL is getting. at least to me that will the be deal breaker for me if i decide to trade in my Evo for the '12 TL.
Because the grill is awful looking. It is well documented for nearly four years now. If you like, or don't mind spending a bunch of money fixing it - that is your prerogative. But don't blame others for what they like or don't like.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Question Bsi

Looking @ www.Acura.com, I notice that the RL does not have the BSI but it does now have rear parking sensors w/ the tech pkg. The ZDX & MDX have the BSI on the advanced package but back up sensors are only an option. This leads me to think that since the TL is a sedan, like the RL, & not a CUV like the MDX & ZDX, perhaps the advance pkg will come w/ the parking sensors instead of BSI?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I don't think the Advance TL is going to be as pricey as some of you are speculating. It's not going to get the full advance treatment like the MDX and ZDX get. My speculation based on previous Acura price structure is that the TL Advance will top out in the 45-46K range. All you are really getting (IIRC) is cooled seats, BSI, and 19" wheels, it's not going to add the MRF suspension, CMBS and ACC (which are the ones that cost the most to add).
Agreed, I think the TL will top out at 46K, the RL, ZDX and MDX carry 4K,6k and 8K advace package options respectively, the TL's will probally be 2K. I keep seeing 19" rims are part of the advance package, which means it will replace the HP package, however should have been 20's which was earlier reported, the base should move up to 18", the Sh-awd 19" with more meat and than the advance with 20"
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Looking @ www.Acura.com, I notice that the RL does not have the BSI but it does now have rear parking sensors w/ the tech pkg. The ZDX & MDX have the BSI on the advanced package but back up sensors are only an option. This leads me to think that since the TL is a sedan, like the RL, & not a CUV like the MDX & ZDX, perhaps the advance pkg will come w/ the parking sensors instead of BSI?
No I think that has to do with the RL being imported from Japan and a global car and the rest designed for the American public, different agenda. The RL is also the only Acura with Active Front Lighting and is currently the only one with power folding mirrors, both more important options in other parts of the world. I think parking sensors will continue to be an option for the TL (by the way most Acura I see with the parking sensors, they are usually missing) With the back up camera with line guides who needs annoying parking sensors, leave that for Buick and Lexus.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
Agreed, I think the TL will top out at 46K, the RL, ZDX and MDX carry 4K,6k and 8K advace package options respectively, the TL's will probally be 2K. I keep seeing 19" rims are part of the advance package, which means it will replace the HP package, however should have been 20's which was earlier reported, the base should move up to 18", the Sh-awd 19" with more meat and than the advance with 20"
Where do you "keep seeing" this information? $8K on the MDX?
Although the 20's look fantastic on the 4GTL the aspect ratio on a 20" wheel/tire on the TL(35%) is way to small for Acura to put on a mass produced vehicle. Can you imagine the service manager explaining to a (noob) customer why they have to shell out $925 to replace one wheel and tire because they put their car into a pot hole in the city.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 01-29-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
^^^
They won't sacrifice ride quality like that for mass production, off the factory line sedan. If they were to have 20" rims, it's going to have to be an accessory option for the few who want that style and ride quality.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Where do you "keep seeing" this information? $8K on the MDX?
Although the 20's look fantastic on the 4GTL the aspect ratio on a 20" wheel/tire on the TL(35%) is way to small for Acura to put on a mass produced vehicle. Can you imagine the service manager explaining to a (noob) customer why they have to shell out $925 to replace one wheel and tire because they put their car into a pot hole in the city.
Yes 19" is the most they will go on this car. That's what aftermarkett wheels are for. The best size for this car are 20" wheels and that's for people to decide if they want to spend the money?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Post WebCast

Acura announced last month that the 2012 Acura TL will debut in "newly refined" form at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show. Refined how? In styling and performance, according to Acura. Today, we learned it will come with a live webcast of the reveal as well, allowing followers to see the refinement from afar.

Hopefully "refinement" means an abandonment of the bionic beavertooth grille, as we've dubbed it. The chrome shingle adorning the nose of the current TL has been lambasted widely since its first appearance, and few--if any--will miss it if it disappears.

As for the rest of the new TL's specs, we're left in the dark, though with Acura using the "refined" terminology, we're not expecting sea changes. The current 3.7-liter's 305-horsepower output may rise slightly, though it's possible Acura will go the other way and shoot for more efficiency.

Whether the available 6-speed manual will stick around is another question, though whatever transmissions are available, the SH-AWD system powering all 4 wheels is sure to stay put.

Acura's live webcast of the 2012 Acura TL's unveiling will take place February 9 at 10:45 a.m. CST at Acura's Chicago Auto Show page. The page isn't live yet, however, and for the moment redirects to Acura's news site.

The Chicago Auto Show media preview kicks off February 9-10, and we'll bring you all the action as it happens.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Live WebCast Planned

Acura announced last month that the 2012 Acura TL will debut in "newly refined" form at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show. Refined how? In styling and performance, according to Acura. Today, we learned it will come with a live webcast of the reveal as well, allowing followers to see the refinement from afar.

Hopefully "refinement" means an abandonment of the bionic beavertooth grille, as we've dubbed it. The chrome shingle adorning the nose of the current TL has been lambasted widely since its first appearance, and few--if any--will miss it if it disappears.

As for the rest of the new TL's specs, we're left in the dark, though with Acura using the "refined" terminology, we're not expecting sea changes. The current 3.7-liter's 305-horsepower output may rise slightly, though it's possible Acura will go the other way and shoot for more efficiency.

Whether the available 6-speed manual will stick around is another question, though whatever transmissions are available, the SH-AWD system powering all 4 wheels is sure to stay put.

Acura's live webcast of the 2012 Acura TL's unveiling will take place February 9 at 10:45 a.m. CST at Acura's Chicago Auto Show page. The page isn't live yet, however, and for the moment redirects to Acura's news site.

The Chicago Auto Show media preview kicks off February 9-10, and we'll bring you all the action as it happens.
I am one who hopes they don't refine the car to make it More Dated, rather then future looking as it is today. I still LOVE the way the car looks. My wife has a 2009 TSX. We both saw the 2011 TSX wagon last month at the San Diego auto show. We both felt that the front Grill was just way to plain and simple. It Toned Down the front of the car, made it more like 100 other cars. I guess we just have to wait a few more days to see what Acura did to the TL...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree, saw the new TSX wagon at the dealership, very very bland front-end.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Because the grill is awful looking. It is well documented for nearly four years now.
Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean other people dont. Why dont you go by a BMW to look like everyone else
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Because the grill is awful looking. It is well documented for nearly four years now. If you like, or don't mind spending a bunch of money fixing it - that is your prerogative. But don't blame others for what they like or don't like.
You don't even own an Acura, so go to a Lexus forum and leave our 4th gen tl alone. We are driving a vehicle we like and enjoy. To each it's own man.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ ...here we go
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by types1fan
You don't even own an Acura, so go to a Lexus forum and leave our 4th gen tl alone. We are driving a vehicle we like and enjoy. To each it's own man.
You are correct, I don't own an Acura - and that is the point. But look at my profile. Care to guess why I've been a member since 2004? I've owned three Acura's - the last being a 2004 TL.

Let's carry it a little further. In my 42 years of driving, I've owned four Honda cars, three Acura's, eight Honda motorcycles and a Honda lawnmower. You still don't think I have a right to my opinion?

The reason I'm here is that my wife is due for a new car and I'm hoping that Acura improves it's looks. My wife is not even a big car person, but she told me tonight that she does not want an Acura unless they change the grill.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erick3
^ ...here we go
Yeah, kind of disappointing that there are people who think that forums should be one big love-fest about their car. I'm a huge car nut - have been since 1965. I am very open minded and like a lot of different cars.

But I also have no problem with people not liking what I like. I have over 22,000 posts on the Corvette forum since 2001, but I have no problem with people coming on and telling us what they don't like as long as they are civil. Everyone has a right to their opinion.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah, kind of disappointing that there are people who think that forums should be one big love-fest about their car. I'm a huge car nut - have been since 1965. I am very open minded and like a lot of different cars.

But I also have no problem with people not liking what I like. I have over 22,000 posts on the Corvette forum since 2001, but I have no problem with people coming on and telling us what they don't like as long as they are civil. Everyone has a right to their opinion.
But it's always the same thing ad nauseum. The grill. And you didn't say; "In my opinion, I think...." No, most of you folks make it a statement of fact. A direct statement like its a universal truth. Its tired and old to have someone pop up and diss the grill like it's that important. Just stop and take a good look at any grill....they're all ugly. The BMW kidney? It looks like two kidneys. Why is that so attractive? The Audi Bass Mouth? It looks like the open mouth of a bass. Why is that so pleasing? I coulds go on and on. The grill, in my opinion, is always the weakest part of car design. And then when one starts anthropomorphising them, projecting human qualities on a grill, it gets worse.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I think ACURA should design their new TL's based up Mr. Marco's Avatar Car!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

jjs,

i couldn't agree more. unfortunately, and this is NO WAY a flame, the 4th gen crowd seems to be a bit more defensive than other sections. but it's definitely understandable - they hear the same crap, OVER and OVER again. i go back and forth between liking the TL. done right however, and it's really a bomb shell. have you seen "fyah"...'s car?! holy SMOKES!

BY THE WAY - I LOVE THE C6 VETTES!!! AAAHHHH!!! you sir, have a very NICE CAR! lol
edit: Dear gawwww...you have a Z06?!?!?!!! EVEN BETTER! aso;jfosjfs90fsd
Originally Posted by Glashub
But it's always the same thing ad nauseum. The grill. And you didn't say; "In my opinion, I think...." No, most of you folks make it a statement of fact. A direct statement like its a universal truth. Its tired and old to have someone pop up and diss the grill like it's that important. Just stop and take a good look at any grill....they're all ugly. The BMW kidney? It looks like two kidneys. Why is that so attractive? The Audi Bass Mouth? It looks like the open mouth of a bass. Why is that so pleasing? I coulds go on and on. The grill, in my opinion, is always the weakest part of car design. And then when one starts anthropomorphising them, projecting human qualities on a grill, it gets worse.
come on glash. it's what sets the 4th gen crowd apart! if other don't like it, then that's their own problem. who cares what the hell others think, right? plus, it's another reason as to why the acurazine community is SO VERY well nit together. if you go around to other forums, people're JERKS. acurazine is truly is one of the best forums out there. please don't shoot the messenger

Last edited by erick3; 02-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
1977-79 Lincoln Continental Mark V.....

correct me if i'm wrong.

MY mother's family was mostly italian big shots in the 70s/80s.... i know my Lincolns!! 7.5L V8
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I don't think I like the grille.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I don't think I like the grille.
PUAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Glashub
I understand where you are coming from and I do see your point. I'll defend myself a bit by saying that even though it is an opinion, and styling is subjective, you have to admit that the front grill of the TL gets bashed by virtually every article ever written on the car. It's not like I'm some outlier here.

Let me try to restate my reason for coming on here and saying what I'm saying. I'm seriously pulling for Acura to tone down the front and back of the car. I'm pulling for the car because I think it's a great car. When I got the Lexus about 14 months ago, my choices came down to the Lexus or a TL. Even with my disdain for the front and rear styling of the TL, I damn near bought one. But it came down to three factors. One the styling, two the lack of a six speed transmission (I felt it left some "flat" spots in acceleration from certain speeds), and a lack of ventilated seats.

Fast forward to now. My wife has driven SUV's for many years but is ready to go back to a car. It appears right now that there are two cars in the running. One the TL, the other a Cadillac CTS. I had a current generation CTS before the Lexus and I was not a huge fan of the car. But my wife liked it. Truthfully, I would rather get her a TL, and with the upcoming six speed and ventilated seats, they have fixed a couple of things that kept me from getting one. Now if they fix the front I have a shot at getting my wife into one. So see - I'm actually not here to be a troll, I'm here with good intentions because I'm a big fan of the car.

Last edited by jjsC5; 02-08-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erick3
jjs,

i couldn't agree more. unfortunately, and this is NO WAY a flame, the 4th gen crowd seems to be a bit more defensive than other sections. but it's definitely understandable - they hear the same crap, OVER and OVER again. i go back and forth between liking the TL. done right however, and it's really a bomb shell. have you seen "fyah"...'s car?! holy SMOKES!

BY THE WAY - I LOVE THE C6 VETTES!!! AAAHHHH!!! you sir, have a very NICE CAR! lol
edit: Dear gawwww...you have a Z06?!?!?!!! EVEN BETTER! aso;jfosjfs90fsd

come on glash. it's what sets the 4th gen crowd apart! if other don't like it, then that's their own problem. who cares what the hell others think, right? plus, it's another reason as to why the acurazine community is SO VERY well nit together. if you go around to other forums, people're JERKS. acurazine is truly is one of the best forums out there. please don't shoot the messenger
Thanks Erick - here is a picture of my Z....

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I got an email from my dealer inviting me to a 2012 TL preview event tomorrow night in Chicago to the automotive press. I won't be able to make it since I'll be out of town for business. I'm sure its probably some powerpoint and marketing videos, I doubt the car will be there. Chief Acura designer Jon Ikeda will also be there. For anyone in the area, it's going to be at ZED451 from 7-10pm, 731 N. Clark, Chicago, IL. Grab some dinner there and see if you can sneak into the presentation. Hopefully there will be more leaks that come out of this before the auto show.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
To Mr jjsc5: But don't blame others for what they like or don't like.
That is what you said and got me a little confused.
I did not look at your avatar and see that you are a car guy. My bad for coming out so strong but after test driving the car and knowing that i got the best bang for the buck i purchased it. The color i purchased was the WDP because the grill does not Stand out as much. Like i said earlier if acura chages the grill and it looks anything like the TSX wagon, i am keeping my TL with it's big parrot,beaver tooth grill.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by types1fan
To Mr jjsc5: But don't blame others for what they like or don't like.
That is what you said and got me a little confused.
I did not look at your avatar and see that you are a car guy. My bad for coming out so strong but after test driving the car and knowing that i got the best bang for the buck i purchased it. The color i purchased was the WDP because the grill does not Stand out as much. Like i said earlier if acura chages the grill and it looks anything like the TSX wagon, i am keeping my TL with it's big parrot,beaver tooth grill.
No where have I ever criticized anyone for what they like or don't like. I have clarified my position that the styling has been criticized far and wide and that anyone who does not get that has their head stuck in the sand. But if people like the looks of it, I'll never tell them they are wrong. I'll just tell them they are in the minority.

If I confused you with my responses I apologize. I'm the first to admit that I can be a bit passionate - for which I don't apologize....it's just who I am. And I try to be understanding when other people are passionate as well. I prefer people who piss me off for having a strong opinion as opposed to people who piss me off because the are a candy-ass and don't say what's on their mind.

Best of all though is that I appreciate a sense of humor, and I got a good chuckle out of you last line!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Exclamation SneakPeek

Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The vertical space between the tail trim peice, and the licence plate is much less. The quad tailpipes are gone.

I guess they are willing to do some body work.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It may not be body work, the bumper and silver trim piece are probably making most of the changes. The trunk and tail lights don't appear to be different in size or placement so far.

Quad tailpipes being removed is a disappointment though.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^Nice sneak peek pic

Rear license plate placement looks different, smaller reflective tail lights; no more quad exhausts on the SH-AWD trim.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Quad tailpipes being removed is a disappointment though.
I agree. I like the quad tailpipes on my TL. Looks sporty and aggressive, with a bit of nastiness and arrogance.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

They made the bumper protrude where the massive area of nothing-ness was. This way, it doesn't look so empty and the bumper looks smaller.

I wonder if this means the car will be EVEN LONGER than it is now, making it longer than the RL and now the longest acura around? lol
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
vs. original

I am hoping the sneek peak is not a sign that the quad tips of the SH-AWD are gone?

Something keeps telling me Acura just does not get it and I am wondering where they are doing their market research. I was hoping to maybe look at a 12 AWD in 6 weeks, but we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Last edited by KeithL; 02-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Yea it seems like they take a good idea/product. Then sit down and actively think of ways to make people unhappy, whether it be features (for example, bluetooth only on most EX-L hondas, still 5 speeds across the lineup), or looks (many of their recent cars). This time it's.. "Well, SHAWD owners liked the exhaust tips, so lets take them off" What are they doing?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well we don't know if the sneak peak is a fwd or shawd. Let's hope they keep the quads.

imo they seem to have toned down the rear, not only the exhaust but the housing around the exhaust. but isn't it tomorrow or the day after they reveal it.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Post Sh-awd

Originally Posted by Sandals
well we don't know if the sneak peak is a fwd or shawd. Let's hope they keep the quads.
It does have SH-AWD on the trunk in that pic ...

I am glad that they reduced the rear reflectors. Originally, they mimicked the shape of the front vents ... which makes me wonder if they reduced those as well.

The new protruding bumpers suggest that this car will now be longer. Keep in mind that the bumpers are plastic (?) parts of the car, which Honda/Acura usually changes during MMC ... it's the metal parts they tend to leave alone.

Last edited by TSX69; 02-08-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandals
well we don't know if the sneak peak is a fwd or shawd.
Other than the fact that the car in the pic has a "shawd" emblem on it.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh yea did even see that lol
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Old Member

I'll buy it, it looks good.

Last edited by 4dr4bangrAccord; 02-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Newly Refined 2012 Acura TL To Debut At Chicago Auto Show