Lighting replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Lighting replacement

Firstly, I finally got around to putting in some ofthe LEDs I got from iJDMtoy…big improvement to the vanity mirror lights, butthe real change is the trunk light. Didn’treally notice it when I installed, but last night when I went to get somethingout of the trunk, and was pleasantly shocked at how brightly it wasilluminated. Next will be the licenseplate lights and the courtesy (puddle) lights.

I’ve still got a cracked passenger headlight, and a cracked (actually,there’s a hole) passenger foglamp. They don’tput down salt here in the winter, and instead sand everything, though to callit “sand” is a misnomer. All that gritmakes its way to the right hand side of the road, which is why I need to startthinking of buying passenger fogs in a six-pack.

I’ve gotten a quote for the headlight replacement, and the part alone willrun $846.96(CDN) for OEM and $688.65(CDN) for an aftermarket. I’ve been warned that the aftermarkets tendto leak, though.

Pricingthrough Delray (AcuraOEMParts.com) is better, but they can check Canadian VINs,so I’m possibly taking a chance that the US version doesn’t fit the Canadianmodel. Unlikely, but possible.

Cananyone confirm that the US headlamp assembly is the same part as for the Canadianmodels? This feels like a stupidquestion, but it wasn’t even on my radar until a mechanic mentioned it.

Secondly,since Delray (or possibly ebay) is the best price for the OEM, and mostmechanics just source locally, is it a douche maneuver to bring in my ownheadlamp, HID bulbs (x2) and foglamps (x2) for a mechanic to replace?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
LEDs on the courtesy lamps and license plates should have been standard. Great and cheap mod that makes a big difference! I had them in the vanity in my previous '12 TL and your ass will get blinded at night if you're not expecting it (was using 6k).

I don't think bringing your own materials to a mechanic is a douche move... it's still business and he's making money on the labor. I think it's a douche move to reject you because he can't make money on the parts... just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by big10purdue
LEDs on the courtesy lamps and license plates should have been standard. Great and cheap mod that makes a big difference!
Agreed. The trunk light came as a pair, but with only one light in the trunk, I was left with an extra. My neighbor has a 2007 TSX, and unless I'm mistaken, they use the same type of festoon bulb for their dome light, so I've offered it to him. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it makes as a dome light.