Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just saying goodbye to Acura and group

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saying goodbye to Acura and group

After 3 Acuras in the last 3 years and trying to find a smooth reliable ride, we have decided the Acura is not for us. We have had both the FWD and the SHAWD versions of the 4th generation.

After many, many trips and different sets of tires and road force balancing attempts etc. I have given up on Acura. The ride never got any better and the vibrations and harshness in both cars were always present to a degree not usually exhibited in other cars we have owned.

Indeed the SHAWD exhibited some additional strange behaviors on occasion and could never be isolated or repeated. Its too bad, but I am now convinced that there is something inherently wrong about the design of this chassis that causes the NVH levels to be totally out of line for a car that costs 40 plus K. its great up to 100 kpmh, smooth as glass, after which its just terrible for a car that cost this much.

At least for us it was not worth entry price so we have bailed while we still can. Maybe its okay for others.

I will not miss the car(s), it(they) were always rough, harsh and very odd in their performance characteristics. Too bad, but Acura has lost this owner forever, and I suspect many others due to these types of issues.

On the other hand, I will miss this forum. It has been a pleasure to read and occasionally participate on it! It is one of the most well run on the net and generally occupied by mature individuals who are always willing to help one another.

So... Good luck all and keep up the good work!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I like the sporty characteristics of the suspension.
if subdued NVH is what you were after, why not pick a Lexus from the start!?

Good luck to you, sir!
and what vehicle did you pick up to replace the TL?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Best of luck. Cars are a notoriously subjective issue. What works well for one may be unacceptable to another. I too am curious which model you went with. I test drove most competing models (price wise): 3-series, A4, IS 250/350, G37. I chose the TL over those based on its combination of smooth ride and snappy performance. Not as "fun" as the RWD models, but a more comfortable ride without feeling like a Cadillac (now that's a model to go to if you want smooth, but to me feels disconnected). Girlfriend's brother actually leased a 2012 G37 a few weeks after I bought my TL (he lives with us) and we almost always opt for the TL when we drive any significant distance for the ride quality (and no, not to save on lease miles as we all don't drive to work and put less than 10K annually on our cars).
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sorry to hear about that. Maybe it's time to try Lexus New ES? It should provide the smoothness you are looking for. Hope you will soon find another vehicle that's right for you. Take care.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
i agree, driving the new tsx and new tl, the ride is defintely harsh
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Sorry mtc - about your bad experiences with owning 3 Acura's in three years.
The ride seems very nice for me - but it's not for everyone.
I hope you enjoy your new car!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It may be due to the fact that my last vehicle was a 2006 Chevy Silverado Z71,but I think my TL drives like a dream. It does feel sporty but I like it. I know elderly people don't want to feel the road or hear the purr of the engine but I'm not that old yet. To each his own I guess.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Good luck with your new car. BTW what did you decide to go with??
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Just me, but I can't stand that pillow comfort ride. I like to FEEL the road and know whats going on. After driving my Miata on the weekend, My TL feels smooth as silk in comparison. I love the change of pace. The Acura is very good for my taste as far as road manners go. I also would like to know what car the OP is considering.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced

I'm not too old yet! but defintely changing

Originally Posted by JT4
Good luck with your new car. BTW what did you decide to go with??
We have decided, because of the nature of where we live to go back to a Toyota Highlander AWD V6. I know, I know, everyone will say its not the same thing, and they would be partly right to a point.

We need an AWD for winter, and our last 2008 HL fit the bill in all regards. Quiet, relatively quick and smooth (not Cadillac smooth!) but way smoother than the TL's at any speed. And you know what? It can really move along quite well when you floor it! Surprising so in fact, especially given the fact the speeding excessively here will net you a horrendous ticket and the possible loss of your car.

My last sports car (a couple of years ago) was a 2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si and compared to the Acura if was buttery smooth at all speeds. In fact, the faster you went the smoother and more refined it became! It tracked like an arrow at any speed, no vagueness in the steering whatsoever, it was razor sharp, and we don't even want to discuss the acceleration! Two different carts to be sure but only offer it up as it should have had greater NVH levels than the TL at speed right? Totally wrong....zero noise or vibration at any speed!

Then there's the issues I had with SH-AWD. Many of which have been discussed here by many members. Maybe, all you young bucks are okay with them, but I am not. Also, given that you can't really use the SHAWD to its distinct advantages even when running properly, it made no sense for us to keep it any longer. That doesn't make me a lexifile!

We are happy with the change....very happy in fact. If I want to fool around again (I will get a car like the Z4) for that purpose. In the meantime having a car the rides and vibrates Like a buckboard (god forbid you have roads like we do) makes no sense to us.

Acura needs to do better than the 4th Generation TL. It will continue to lose market share if it does change its design criteria. Its not what it used to be, which is not a good thing. However, good luck to all of you with yours! There were some good moments with the SHAWD, but just not worth it overall for me.

Cheers
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Guessing an ES350, cadillac STS, buick regal are the choices...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mtc46jw
Then there's the issues I had with SH-AWD. Many of which have been discussed here by many members. Maybe, all you young bucks are okay with them, but I am not. Also, given that you can't really use the SHAWD to its distinct advantages even when running properly, it made no sense for us to keep it any longer. That doesn't make me a lexifile!
What issues did you have SH-AWD? I can't recall discussion, at least from the top of my head, members here have had about SH-AWD.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
What issues did you have SH-AWD? I can't recall discussion, at least from the top of my head, members here have had about SH-AWD.
Ride comfort was kind of harsh on the AWD, it shocked me as to the different between the FWD and AWD... I got to test drive both over some pretty spotty terrain and got a pretty decent feel for both... I expected to want the AWD, ended up walkng away w FWD/tech...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Liz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting about folks' different response to a TL's ride. I found an absolutely beautiful 2010 FWD tech at a dealer. We needed a road car to keep miles off my beloved Toyota Solara convertible.

The first week something was definitely bad about the ride. After much fussing with tire pressure, etc, it was discovered that a tire rim was dented! When that was repaired, the ride is gorgeous. After all, the suspension is sporty, but so positive on a long haul. We drove over 1000 miles through Hurricane Debbie's rains and felt so safe. And speed: I swear it rivals my son's BMW m5 at half the cost.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
"My last sports car (a couple of years ago) was a 2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si and compared to the Acura if was buttery smooth at all speeds. In fact, the faster you went the smoother and more refined it became! It tracked like an arrow at any speed, no vagueness in the steering whatsoever, it was razor sharp, and we don't even want to discuss the acceleration! Two different carts to be sure but only offer it up as it should have had greater NVH levels than the TL at speed right? Totally wrong....zero noise or vibration at any speed!"

so where is this dream beamer now?...enjoy your next ride
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
Just me, but I can't stand that pillow comfort ride. I like to FEEL the road and know whats going on. After driving my Miata on the weekend, My TL feels smooth as silk in comparison. I love the change of pace. The Acura is very good for my taste as far as road manners go.
I feel the same way as you do. That is why I never considered a Lexus or other Toyota cars as it seems like all Toyota cars (not trucks) seem to be numb when it comes to road feel.
But I also see where the OP is coming from as well. That's why the Maxima fit the bill for my wife in terms of comfort and for me the road feel is there as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by mtc46jw
After 3 Acuras in the last 3 years and trying to find a smooth reliable ride, we have decided the Acura is not for us. We have had both the FWD and the SHAWD versions of the 4th generation.

After many, many trips and different sets of tires and road force balancing attempts etc. I have given up on Acura. The ride never got any better and the vibrations and harshness in both cars were always present to a degree not usually exhibited in other cars we have owned.

Indeed the SHAWD exhibited some additional strange behaviors on occasion and could never be isolated or repeated. Its too bad, but I am now convinced that there is something inherently wrong about the design of this chassis that causes the NVH levels to be totally out of line for a car that costs 40 plus K. its great up to 100 kpmh, smooth as glass, after which its just terrible for a car that cost this much.

At least for us it was not worth entry price so we have bailed while we still can. Maybe its okay for others.

I will not miss the car(s), it(they) were always rough, harsh and very odd in their performance characteristics. Too bad, but Acura has lost this owner forever, and I suspect many others due to these types of issues.

On the other hand, I will miss this forum. It has been a pleasure to read and occasionally participate on it! It is one of the most well run on the net and generally occupied by mature individuals who are always willing to help one another.

So... Good luck all and keep up the good work!
Maybe it's because you're 62 and it's time for a Buick?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Best of luck MTC-sorry to see you go. I'm surprised at your pick for another car, but hey, if you had success with the Highlander before and enjoyed it, why not!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
I feel the same way as you do. That is why I never considered a Lexus or other Toyota cars as it seems like all Toyota cars (not trucks) seem to be numb when it comes to road feel.
But I also see where the OP is coming from as well. That's why the Maxima fit the bill for my wife in terms of comfort and for me the road feel is there as well.
Maxima is a VERY nice car for the coin. I had a friend coming out of a 2006 RL and the new Max was the closet we could get with simular features and power. Excellent choice!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
azzzhole! hahahahah
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Theres always one in every crowd.

Originally Posted by Nexson
azzzhole! hahahahah
And everyone has one! Hope you're as spry at 62 as I am! Talk to me in 30-40 years

And good bye all you mature owners.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Pfft. How rude.

OP, enjoy the hell out of your next car. I was a Honda/Acura loyalist for yearssssss but won't be going back now that I've made the jump. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Op,you have done what is important to you and that is all that matters.Good luck with your new vehicle and enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
birdy*feet (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Perhaps you should have considered the RL instead of the TL. It's not butter smooth but it is smoother than the TL.

Best wishes to you and your new car sir.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I read with interest, your post. I was wondering when you discovered Honda's /Acuras are a drivers vehicle, and thus the harshness, and Toyota / Lexus', are old man floaty vehicles, thus the move to Scion for Toyota for some of the younger drivers who want a drivers vehicle. I always cross shop the 2 brands when buying, and when I used to buy Accords, I always tested the Camry and just preferred the Accord because of the way it drove and it was harsh, My MDX's against the RX and lastly my TL against an ES350. I simply prefer a drivers vehicle and I can only assume you like an old mans floaty vehicle, which a Highliner is. I bet you are getting the limited which would be ultra smooth. I guess what I am saying is clearly you should never have bought an Acura in the first place with your expectations. Nuff said.