Interesting Little Tidbit I Read...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting Little Tidbit I Read...

....Thought I'd pass it on.

Somehow I guess being "viewed" doesn't equate with being purchased.

>>>The new Acura TL luxury sedan made an even more impressive jump, going from the
No. 143rd most-viewed new vehicle on AutoTrader.com in May 2010 to the No. 20
most-viewed new vehicle in June of this year. Acura also has been marketing
their brand and specific vehicles aggressively in recent months and in June the
TL was ranked second in initial quality in the "Entry Premium Car Segment" by
J.D. Power and Associates.<<<

Source: http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprns...storyid=109482
Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I honestly thought that the TL was #1 in initial quality for this segment? Who was #1 then? Or maybe I am confusing this with the Consumer Report, which named the TL SH-AWD to be THE most reliable vehicle in this segment.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I honestly thought that the TL was #1 in initial quality for this segment?
Maybe it was most reliable, but dinged a few points for being least "premium"? <ducking>
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I honestly thought that the TL was #1 in initial quality for this segment? Who was #1 then? Or maybe I am confusing this with the Consumer Report, which named the TL SH-AWD to be THE most reliable vehicle in this segment.

*EDIT*

I just looked it up ... Mercedes Benz C-Class was #1 in the segment, followed by the TL and the CTS.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 07-12-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it went....

1- C-Class
2- TL
3- CTS

*therefore I assume the Maxima or ES, among other Japanese cars, were ranked 4+*

Those damn over rated European cars, and screw that CTS. It's so over rated....ahem, what? They sandwhiched the Japanese on initial quality? Nah I'll just listen to Consumer Reports, they're much more soothing.

....and I'm just adding a bit of humerous gasoline to the fire guys, don't take it seriously.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice info
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Racer

Actually that does surprise me. I had no idea Mercedes had improved in quality again.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Awesome for Merc - they've had poor build quality for years until the invested into the new c-class, good to see they are getting some rewards back from that.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Just too bad you have to break your ass to get into a E-class, and especially C-class now, at least that is what I found when I went to sit in them. They are so God damn low to the ground!

Have to go into the GLK in order to not break your back! I'm not surprised their build quality has improved b/c if you look at the GLK, it got almost perfect marks from CR after just its first year on the market and the quality inside and outside is pretty impressive! Reliability for the new GLK is pretty high as well.

Last edited by smarty666; 07-13-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
....Thought I'd pass it on.

Somehow I guess being "viewed" doesn't equate with being purchased.

>>>The new Acura TL luxury sedan made an even more impressive jump, going from the
No. 143rd most-viewed new vehicle on AutoTrader.com in May 2010 to the No. 20
most-viewed new vehicle in June of this year. Acura also has been marketing
their brand and specific vehicles aggressively in recent months and in June the
TL was ranked second in initial quality in the "Entry Premium Car Segment" by
J.D. Power and Associates.<<<

Source: http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprns...storyid=109482
Good numbers. I always felt it would take Acura a little while to get the TL slotted the way they wanted to slot it, but looks like they're getting there.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
So it went....

1- C-Class
2- TL
3- CTS

*therefore I assume the Maxima or ES, among other Japanese cars, were ranked 4+*

Those damn over rated European cars, and screw that CTS. It's so over rated....ahem, what? They sandwhiched the Japanese on initial quality? Nah I'll just listen to Consumer Reports, they're much more soothing.

....and I'm just adding a bit of humerous gasoline to the fire guys, don't take it seriously.
The TL is designed, built & 90% parts sourced, including the engine, in the US. Calling the TL a Japanese car is a lot like calling Aston Martin or Jaguar an American car when Ford owned them.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The TL is designed, built & 90% parts sourced, including the engine, in the US. Calling the TL a Japanese car is a lot like calling Aston Martin or Jaguar an American car when Ford owned them.
Very true! Its analogous to calling the Ford Fusion American considering a lot of it is Canadian and other foreign parts and is completely assembled in Mexico!

At this point, nothing in the automotive industry, except for a few GM or Ford products still assembled here, are completely one country specific. Its all homogeneous now.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Here's a link to the aforementioned Automobile article:

http://sportscarforums.com/f11/autom...tml#post970683
Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Very nice article... I have to agree with the article in that the 6MT is difficult to drive smoothly around town. I thought it was just me

I'm surprised to find the S4's steering is apparently worse off than the TL's, esp since the S4 has a hydraulic system. The TL's steering though is very quick and precise. BMW still has the best steering response IMHO.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by docboy
Very nice article... I have to agree with the article in that the 6MT is difficult to drive smoothly around town. I thought it was just me

I'm surprised to find the S4's steering is apparently worse off than the TL's, esp since the S4 has a hydraulic system. The TL's steering though is very quick and precise. BMW still has the best steering response IMHO.
That was a good article, and I think they hit on everything that is good and bad about the TL. Interesting how critical they were of the S4- but seriously, who is cross shopping the two?

Best quote on that Audi forum, this explains why it doesn't matter if the car looks better or not...
i'm NEVER gonna pay 40 grand for a acura that isn't a NSX
I've said it before and i'll say it again. No one is ready to pay 40k+ for an Acura. When the TL was only like 32k new that was a different story. You gotta give it like at least 5-10 years for them to move upmarket with both better quality interior materials and additional features like the adaptive drive stuff the A's and B's have.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
*EDIT*

I just looked it up ... Mercedes Benz C-Class was #1 in the segment, followed by the TL and the CTS.
I'm surprised as well. I would have thought the BMW would have come out on top over the MB. That is good news.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Subjective this is, but I'll bite: The TL is certainly not American to me.

And the AM/Jaguar thing is backwards I think as well, but I don't know anyone who'd call them anything other than British and I don't know anyone who'd call the TL something other than Japanese designed even if it's built and designed for American consumption primarily.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by petec2010
... Interesting how critical they were of the S4- but seriously, who is cross shopping the two?... I've said it before and i'll say it again. No one is ready to pay 40k+ for an Acura.
You raise good points, but in a sense I was cross-shopping them. The S4 was like $54K, the TL SH-AWD was like $42K and the 335ix was in the middle. But I've had an S4 before; the ride was brutal. I really liked my A4 6-cylinder 6MT Quattros, but Audi stopped configuring them that way.

I'm pretty blunt about the TL flaws, but it does have an S4/335ix-level of performance. I wouldn't pay $40K for an Acura now that I've experienced one, but that's sort-of the wrong end of the stick... apparently a lot of people knew more than I on that topic.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
Thanks for posting the Automobile comparo.

Based on my ownership experience so far (and tests like this), not only would I pay 40K for another Acura like this, I'd do it in a minute. And based on my driving experiences and the poor experiences of Audi-owning friends, you couldn't pay me to buy one of them.

Nice cars, nice performers -- yes.
Own one for 11.5K more than my TL - don't think so.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TechnoCat
I'm pretty blunt about the TL flaws, but it does have an S4/335ix-level of performance. I wouldn't pay $40K for an Acura now that I've experienced one, but that's sort-of the wrong end of the stick... apparently a lot of people knew more than I on that topic.
If I was only going to keep the car for 3 years, I would have probably just leased an Audi or BMW. But I needed a solid DD that would go the long haul - 10 years or 150k or more miles without major service. One thing is for certain, the J motor in this car is bulletproof automotive simplicity at it's finest. I have no worry that I'll be hitting 100k toward 200k without any major issues. There are really not a lot of other cars you can say that about. But... if I was looking short time, I'd be S4 or 335xi for the added torque and etc, no question.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by petec2010
That was a good article, and I think they hit on everything that is good and bad about the TL. Interesting how critical they were of the S4- but seriously, who is cross shopping the two?
I agree, good article.

In a sense, I too was cross shopping the TL 6MT against the S4 (and 335xi, G37x). For me, it wasn't like, "hmm...which should I get, the TL or S4?" It was more like "The A4 Prestige is nice, but I'm going to pay $43k+ and I only get a 2.0T engine that I have to chip/mod to get 335 performance." I didn't want to pay $55k+ for the S4, and didn't want to chip the A4, as I was scared enough as is about Audi's reliability.

I'm keeping a very close eye on Audi and BMW (and Porsche) to see if there's improvement in their reliability (and on their developments in the electrical vehicle dept ) If they start trending upwards, who knows what will hold in the future
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
BMW still has the best steering response IMHO.
Check out the latest C&D article that compares the 2011 535 against some competitors. Looks like BMW is on the same learning curve with using electric power steering assist as everyone else. They hated the artificial, disconnected feel, and it lost the comparison against Audi. Also what struck me was that the new 535 with that flat torque curve I6 and 8 speed automatic was slower than C&D's last test of the TL SH-AWD 6MT. ...makes me wonder how a 535 with 6MT would perform against the TL...

Last edited by draph; 07-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by draph
Also what struck me was that the new 535 with that flat torque curve I6 and 8 speed automatic was slower than C&D's last test of the TL SH-AWD 6MT. ...makes me wonder how a 535 with 6MT would perform against the TL...
That's not surprising at all. The TL's manual and AWD makes for a hearty launch style to a floored automatic.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Check out the latest C&D article that compares the 2011 535 against some competitors. Looks like BMW is on the same learning curve with using electric power steering assist as everyone else. They hated the artificial, disconnected feel, and it lost the comparison against Audi. Also what struck me was that the new 535 with that flat torque curve I6 and 8 speed automatic was slower than C&D's last test of the TL SH-AWD 6MT. ...makes me wonder how a 535 with 6MT would perform against the TL...
You're right, I totally forgot about that article. I have not yet driven the 2011 535. That's unfortunate though (wrt to the 2011 535's steering), because BMW's history of solid steering feedback is IMHO partially what makes it a BMW, a BMW.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Racer

Check out the latest C&D article that compares the 2011 535 against some competitors. . ...makes me wonder how a 535 with 6MT would perform against the TL...
In raw performance, they may be close or the TL may win, but both behind a Lotus Elise and perhaps behind the Mitus Evo. But which will get the prime valet parking at a high-end club? Which will be quieter inside? Which has more luxury features? Which one doesn't cause anyone neck-ache after a long drive?

The S4 is conceivably in competition; both are aimed more at performance, even though Audi is a bit upscale of Acura. But the BMW niche, despite the size, is the lower-end 3-series. Yes, the TL is larger, but it's below the 3-series in luxury, and that's the prime distinguisher of the 3-series from the 5-series.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I've not driven or even seen a 2011 535, but when I was looking for my car, here's what I found on the 2010:

1) try to find a new 6MT 535 - not possible where I live;
2) as far as luxury, I wasn't really feeling it in the 535 - standard pleather and non-metallic paint combined with a bland interior left me thinking, meh.
3) trying to upgrade the 535 to TL SH-AWD tech levels (leather, upgraded stereo -still not equal to ELS - nav, back-up camera, I pod connection, etc.) would have put me well north of what I think is prudent to spend on a car I drive to work every day.
4) as far as performance, they're probably close in acceleration, with a slight edge to the TL possibly (remember, couldn't find a 6MT BMW to drive); in handling, I give the nod to SH-AWD;
5) steering feel - 535 has an advantage, although not nearly enough to offset 1-4 above.

Just my observations from when I cross-shopped the two. (Ultimately, I eliminated the 5/3 series and the Audis in the first round, with my decision eventually falling between the TL and G37).
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the TL is larger, but it's below the 3-series in luxury, and that's the prime distinguisher of the 3-series from the 5-series.
Huh?!?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
In raw performance, they may be close or the TL may win, but both behind a Lotus Elise and perhaps behind the Mitus Evo. But which will get the prime valet parking at a high-end club? Which will be quieter inside? Which has more luxury features? Which one doesn't cause anyone neck-ache after a long drive?

The S4 is conceivably in competition; both are aimed more at performance, even though Audi is a bit upscale of Acura. But the BMW niche, despite the size, is the lower-end 3-series. Yes, the TL is larger, but it's below the 3-series in luxury, and that's the prime distinguisher of the 3-series from the 5-series.
I don't disagree entirely but it should be which has more luxury features available? A 5 at the TL's price has way less features in comparison. Also the way you word your issues with the TL as though they are something everyone experiences is just wrong. Just to show you otherwise my buddies 08 535xi caused me minor neck discomfort where my TL has zero, for me anyway.

I do agree that in some areas the TL is below the 3 series in luxury but I also feel the TL is above it in others and while there is a luxury difference between a 3 and 5 it is not tremendous and it's the size that is the biggest distinquisher and what you really pay more for IMO. They have the exact same available engines, trannys, features, etc.

As a side note, take it for what it's worth but BMW has stated that their 11' 6MT 5 series is slower and less fuel effecient than their 8AT. There is an excellent chance that the TL 6MT is a slightly better performer overall.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.