How well would the TL SH-AWD do in this comparo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
So what SSFTSX is saying, is that the A4 really is just an upgraded Passat? I can't believe I didn't notice that before thanks for pointing out the similarities!

My neighbor has an A4, I can't wait to go laugh at them that they just bought the more refined Passat, haha, elitist yuppee a-holes!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
So what SSFTSX is saying, is that the A4 really is just an upgraded Passat? I can't believe I didn't notice that before thanks for pointing out the similarities!

My neighbor has an A4, I can't wait to go laugh at them that they just bought the more refined Passat, haha, elitist yuppee a-holes!
Nope i am saying exactly opposite. Passat dont have any relationship to A4.
Anyway the person who started the thread it is worthwhile to compare TL-SH-AWD to midsize cars like A6.

Now look at S4. It has same engine and similar weight to A6 3.0T.

400lbs lighter BMW 335 M Sport have to be put in 2nd in hilly areas to compete with S4 in 3rd/4th. This is called V8 performance. when twin turbo and lighter BMW 3 dont have performance of 3.0T so how 3.7 TL can be even compared to that class of car?. not only that there was only 1mpg difference in such grueling test but weight difference was huge.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mw_335i_page_2
You could drive this BMW for the entirety of a quiet commuting life and never be dissatisfied, even with the firm ride. No question, BMW crafts a smooth engine, but real power lives only in the higher registers, above 4000 rpm. Where the cocksure Audi blitzes hills in third and fourth, the BMW’s cooker demands frequent visits back to second to keep its sauce boiling.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Do you own an Audi SSTFSX? Are you mad you bought a suped up Volkswagen? Is it true that you also own a 2010 Audi High Horse? I heard once you get on top of that ride, it's hard to get off!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Anyway the person who started the thread it is worthwhile to compare TL-SH-AWD to midsize cars like A6.

400lbs lighter BMW 335 M Sport have to be put in 2nd in hilly areas to compete with S4 in 3rd/4th. This is called V8 performance. when twin turbo and lighter BMW 3 dont have performance of 3.0T so how 3.7 TL can be even compared to that class of car?. not only that there was only 1mpg difference in such grueling test but weight difference was huge.
You are just contradicting yourself. The A6 doesn't have the performance of the S4 in the 3.0T or the V8 nor the 335, so how can it be in another class?

It's obvious to anyone that a TL does not fit the mold of an entry vehicle. They are smaller lighter and more agile. The TL best competes with the mid sized cars because um...well..... I don't know..... just maybe it is a mid sized luxury sedan.

If you want to look at it the other way, when you align price points with evenly matched equipment levels, the TL SH, 328 and A4 2.0T compete and they are both smaller and lighter and the TL still destroys them, how can they even be compared in that class of cars?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX

I think at this point, it's pretty clear that the only knowledge you have of cars if from car magazines... I think you need to get out from behind your keyboard, and go AND DRIVE THEM! Seriously, you're taking the words of automobile writers as gold when they're just as bias and slanted as the real media. Do you not realize that the big automotive companies wine and dine the writers and editors? Look up some reviews of the 2010 Camaro vs. the 2010 Mustang, first few reviews from C&D were saying how great the Camaro was, then all of a sudden they were saying how inferior it was compared to the Mustang. Even though the Camaro made more power with it's V6 than Mustang's V8 and has a limited slip diff instead of a solid rear axle.

Key point of this post... get out into the real world and drive them for yourself. You're talking to people who can afford to buy a $40+ thousand dollar car. Most of us can also afford BMW's, Audi's, MB's etc... But we didn't buy them. Why not? Because we test drove them, and found that the Acura is a better value for our money. We're voicing our opinion that the Acura is a better value for the money.

And seriously... you drive an accord, you don't even drive one of these cars you speak about how great they are. You're just repeating what the car magazines say. How do you think the TSX compares to the 3-series, A4, C300? Not very well...

Please, go and test drive these cars, it's clear you have not. Test drive the 2010 TL-SHAWD w/ 6MT, try the 3-series, 5-series, A4/A6, etc...

You'll get a lot more respect from people if you actually test drive these cars and give your opinion instead of the opinion from C&D.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
ss....I get it. You like the A4. Nothing wrong with that. I rank the A4 (price/feature set being equal) less than the TL, or the 3 Series, or the G37. Nothing wrong with that, either.

I can see what Acura is doing. They've got a car that's the size of a 5 series, that reaches into the 3 series, A4, G37 sandbox regarding features, performance, and price.

The TL pretty much found that niche in between all those cars.

If you prefer an A4 I have no qualms with that. To each their own.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
You're talking to people who can afford to buy a $40+ thousand dollar car. Most of us can also afford BMW's, Audi's, MB's etc... But we didn't buy them. Why not? Because we test drove them, and found that the Acura is a better value for our money. We're voicing our opinion that the Acura is a better value for the money.
Not necessarily. In my case, the TL SH-AWD 6MT was the only car meeting the following criteria:
  • Four-door sedan with AWD (limited the selection pretty fast)
  • Reliable and can handle (ruled out Saab and Volvo)
  • Stick-shift (ruled out both Lexus and Infiniti, plus anything American or Korean)
  • Sub-$50K (ruled out S4, Panamerican, Maserati, etc.)
  • Fast with a six-cylinder engine (ruled out the current A4 series, which I otherwise definitely prefer)
  • Available in less than a week (ruled out my other preference, BWM 335i x-Drive)
So it wasn't that the TL was a better value, but that there just aren't many six-cylinder stickshift AWD 4-door sedans on the car lots right now. If I could have gotten the 335i-x stick quickly, or if Audi still made the A4 with a stick and a six at an indexed 2008 line price, those would have been better values to me because they have the touches the TL misses. But the TL was the only option and therefore both the best and worst value in its niche.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by petec2010
I think at this point, it's pretty clear that the only knowledge you have of cars if from car magazines... I think you need to get out from behind your keyboard, and go AND DRIVE THEM! Seriously, you're taking the words of automobile writers as gold when they're just as bias and slanted as the real media. Do you not realize that the big automotive companies wine and dine the writers and editors? Look up some reviews of the 2010 Camaro vs. the 2010 Mustang, first few reviews from C&D were saying how great the Camaro was, then all of a sudden they were saying how inferior it was compared to the Mustang. Even though the Camaro made more power with it's V6 than Mustang's V8 and has a limited slip diff instead of a solid rear axle.

Key point of this post... get out into the real world and drive them for yourself. You're talking to people who can afford to buy a $40+ thousand dollar car. Most of us can also afford BMW's, Audi's, MB's etc... But we didn't buy them. Why not? Because we test drove them, and found that the Acura is a better value for our money. We're voicing our opinion that the Acura is a better value for the money.

And seriously... you drive an accord, you don't even drive one of these cars you speak about how great they are. You're just repeating what the car magazines say. How do you think the TSX compares to the 3-series, A4, C300? Not very well...

Please, go and test drive these cars, it's clear you have not. Test drive the 2010 TL-SHAWD w/ 6MT, try the 3-series, 5-series, A4/A6, etc...

You'll get a lot more respect from people if you actually test drive these cars and give your opinion instead of the opinion from C&D.
I have driven plenty of cars. and test drive does not matter as u cant pull 0.95g in test drive or test 0-140mph. or multiple quarter mile runs. or hard braking performance. These magazines test cars to there limits.
for example A4 2.0T in road test is 22mpg but in long term test it is 26mpg. which give u some idea of running costs.

TSX compare very well in daily driving of quite car with reasonable fuel economy and not too big. but if i want to spend $50k. it would be different choice. The car would be unique in customization and performance. and i have to wait couple of months for that unique delivery. it wont be car rusting in dealer lots for months waiting for discounts.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
You are just contradicting yourself. The A6 doesn't have the performance of the S4 in the 3.0T or the V8 nor the 335, so how can it be in another class?

It's obvious to anyone that a TL does not fit the mold of an entry vehicle. They are smaller lighter and more agile. The TL best competes with the mid sized cars because um...well..... I don't know..... just maybe it is a mid sized luxury sedan.

If you want to look at it the other way, when you align price points with evenly matched equipment levels, the TL SH, 328 and A4 2.0T compete and they are both smaller and lighter and the TL still destroys them, how can they even be compared in that class of cars?
have A6 3.0T been tested with 6MT/Sport suspension/Perfomrance tire. I achieves 0-60 in 5.4sec. 0-100mph in under 14sec and fastest 50-70mph time in mulitple magazine tests.
TL is not not midsize sedan. It always lose to entry level. no one invite it to midsize competition against 5 years old A6/BMW 5.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
this thread has gotten so far off track there is no salvaging it. it is yet one more reason why we don't allow car comparison threads in the TL model specific forums.