BMW 535I
45.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Given a choice, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Was coming home from the outer banks this morning. The first part of the trip out of Duck is typical beach traffic till you get to the highway about 20 miles away. Had a new Buick with paper plates next to me almost the whole way out & think its a very nice car. Without the old farts rep it has here I can see why its a top pick in China.

Speaking of pricing I noticed in the Car & Driver article I mentioned earlier that the V8 Genesis was the most expensive car on the graph. I was surprised by that & would be interested to see how they are selling.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daikeler
There are so many variables. What options are on the 535i? Would it have the sport package? I would take a 535i with sport package any day if someone else was footing the bill. The interior is upgraded from before and the navigation is now awesome.

I love my TL and everything about it, but I would always prefer to drive a BMW. I never buy a vehicle for the status, either.
Just for the sake of full disclosure the nav in the 535 is positively awful compared to the nav in the TL. The screen is bigger and has amazing resolution, but the nav routing algorithms are awful. Just hop onto any 5 series BMW forum and you'll see what I mean. Yes, the interior is in a whole different league than the TL as are many other features and fitments, but the nav software simply sucks.
(I have a 535xi on order which should be coming in by the end of this month...it's on the ship now in the North Atlantic).
Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Will keep my Garmin from the TL in the glove box.......just in case
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Was coming home from the outer banks this morning. The first part of the trip out of Duck is typical beach traffic till you get to the highway about 20 miles away. Had a new Buick with paper plates next to me almost the whole way out & think its a very nice car. Without the old farts rep it has here I can see why its a top pick in China.

Speaking of pricing I noticed in the Car & Driver article I mentioned earlier that the V8 Genesis was the most expensive car on the graph. I was surprised by that & would be interested to see how they are selling.
The reason it was the most expensive is that they report "base" price. The V8 version has no options - it comes with everything you can imagine. I haven't looked it up, but a base V6 is something like $10,000 less. And it's a smoking deal.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
Hey there Bear-Av, Its sure nice to see a person of reasoning back here again.

I would have to agree that I dont understand why owners of the 4G cant appreciate their car for what it is. Its an great vehicle and has many good qualities but why do many here always need to justify their purchase by comparing it to vehicles that it was never designed to compete against in the first place. I know its human nature to do things like that to make yourself feel better but you rarely see this on the MDX or RL, etc forums.

You missed it last year when someone here was justifying their purchase comparing their 4G to a Porsche Panamara.

If the 4G is comparable to the 535 then so are many other premium mainstream models like the Buick lacrosse, etc etc, which IMHO I dont believe they are but to each their own. Acura themselves designed the RL specifically to compete with the 535, Audi 3.0T etc. The TL's direct competition has always been mainly the the 3 series, C-class, A4 etc etc. It seems that ever since the 4G was introduced the value proposition as fallen off against those models, so now we must compare it to higher end models that 4G was never really designed to compete against in order to justify the value again.

PS. I did see your thread over in the 3G section and congrats on your 335is purchase as im sure your going to love that ride. The grandson probably cant wait for BMW orientation day at the track.

I think you are referring to my post about the TL-Panamera comparo.....and I sadly realize that you keep not getting the point of that thread... do you?? No, evidently you don't....

As far as I can tell, the 4G owners can appreciate what they have without much fuss on this forum.....it has been others that feel the urge to tell TL Owners how inferior their car is to their beloved, <<fill the blank mostly German>>, models...

Acura stated in their official press release that the TL compete with both the high end 3 Series offering and the entry-mid level 5 Series range..I posted the official link several times but evidently someone is too distracted to click on it......and instead keep repeating their opinion, non fact, of what the TL is supposed to compete with...again, Acura released an official press document on what the TL is supposed to compete against...they build the damn car so they should know better...go and read it...

The 4th gen, in my opinion raised the value proposition of the TL it did not diminish it......up the the 3th gen, it was competing with few excellent generalist FWD sport sedans with similar level of performance and accessories but costing several thousands less....my former Nissan Maxima for example...

It's interesting that you cannot mention only one rational, technical fact why, for example, a 535 would be overall a superior vehicle.....you just keep mentioning, impressions, feelings, things "you are sure of" but you cannot really put your finger on....including the Panamera 3.6....did you ever ride in one?? I did......

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-17-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Good news for me. The 3G TL has been sold & the BMW should be delivered this week.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_TL2010
Hey folks, i know every body on this forum are diehard fans of TL. And i also noticed that many Acura enthusiast are also BMW fans. I was just wondering-as to given a choice, i mean if BMW 535I would have been same price as TL SHAWD, which one you would have preferred.

I personally would buy a TL but lease a Bimmer.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Its finally done. The 335IS has arrived & the TL will be picked up by its new owner on Friday.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^^^

It's a beauty. No doubt.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I approve, except for the color...although it looks like you are found of gray.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

The IS only comes in 4 colors. Grey, Blue, Black or Silver. If the full color pallet was offered would most likely have gotten something different then the TL.

Its just like the 1M version of the 135i you get two choices Orange or Black.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Its finally done. The 335IS has arrived & the TL will be picked up by its new owner on Friday.

Nice looking car. The front end is stylish and the color is good - much better than the new TL powder blue. If they still made the 3G general style of the TL with the quality of parts of the 3G but with the technology of the 2012 I would have gone TL. I think you faced a much difference challenge.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Hmm, smells like troll bait... looks like troll bait.. sounds like troll bait....
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
"Troll bait" interesting term. Does one use it to catch trolls?

I simply stated he had a tough decision. I know for sure what my decision would be back in 2008 between the 2 vehicles - now I couldn't say for sure. I think it would be a much harder decision for me today if those were the only 2 cars to choose from - both offer some nice things.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by boe_d
Nice looking car. The front end is stylish and the color is good - much better than the new TL powder blue. If they still made the 3G general style of the TL with the quality of parts of the 3G but with the technology of the 2012 I would have gone TL. I think you faced a much difference challenge.
Its kind of form follows function for a change. The IS has a short term over boost capability of about 14.5psi for 370ftlb of torque. The lower center opening holds an enlarged intercooler, the two end openings have an oil cooler in one & an additional radiator in the other.

Both end openings also have scoop/ducts for the brakes & the rear diffuser is also functional.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the new car BEAR, this is a beauty!

Enjoy the ride and drive fast but safely!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjsC5
The reason it was the most expensive is that they report "base" price. The V8 version has no options - it comes with everything you can imagine. I haven't looked it up, but a base V6 is something like $10,000 less. And it's a smoking deal.
You sir are correct!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
The G was excluded because of the horror stories about fuel economy and the harsh shifting 7 speed auto that plague the G37 forums. So it was down the the two TLs.
I got the G37xS coupe for 2000 miles now and the 7AT is really smooth in D mode but it downshift very aggressively from 5th to 4 and 4th to 3rd if your in DS mode. The harsh shift is when you are in full manual mode in stop and go traffic. When I'm stuck, I switch to D and leave it there. There are some TSB about it but I'm keeping it like it is as I love to hear the engine downshifting.

As for the gas guzzling, I get roughly the same FE than the TL (with a broken down engine) and my engine is still in its break in period with the original oil so it will be a was for city driving. I'm waiting to have long trips so see the real hway mileage.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Having purchased a 2010 TL 6MT after leasing a 2007 335 Sport 6MT, and after reading C&D's review of the latest 535 and their complaints about BMW's failure at electric power steering feel (heavy and numb) and a slower 0-60 time than the TL 6MT (not to mention other performance figures that are also worse), I'd have to say I have no interest in the 535 over a TL, despite its alleged superior luxury and refinement.

I'm also one of those who didn't buy the TL for awd for the winter, but awd to make it be an acceptable replacement for a rwd BMW. My rwd BMW with 4 winter tires was more capable in the winter than my prior fwd 2001 Maxima 5MT with all-seasons. My SH-AWD TL with 4 all-seasons actually performs worse than the rwd BMW with 4 winter tires in all categories except acceleration on slippery surfaces.

The icing on the cake is that the SH-AWD puts the power to the pavement better than any rwd BMW with open differential. I believe the 535 rwd still has an open differential; but the 550 has a limited slip. With that, if it were a comparison between a 550 6MT and TL 6MT for same price, I'd probably pick the BMW and put up with its worse electric steering compared to the TL's light electric steering.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice ride!!! You can Chip her for about $500 and have yourself 390HP and well over 400lbs of torque. I chipped my 535 and she's an animal with a 0-60 time of 4.8! Best of luck!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
great buy. you love the ride/handling and acceleration. you will not however like the maintenance, dunno bout 3-series but my 1-series Busted My Wallet so far.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Might do a JB3/4 piggy back down the road because of the cars extra cooling, more aggressive exhaust & stronger engine internals.

http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html

That being said not sure how the traction would be with the extra power. It might require a mechanical Limited Slip Differential like on my TL 6MT.

The engine part of the IS package is a factory tune to 335hp from the stock 300 with 370ftlb of torque available for 7/8 seconds.

They use the N54 motor with the two separate small turbos for the IS version instead of the normal 335's single housing twin scroll unit. Also the N54 uses a forged crank & rods instead of the cast iron crank in the N55

Out of the hole with launch control would be an adventure because most if not all of the national magazines have the stock car under 5 seconds. C&D shows 4.6 & 13.3 @ 108mph. I know I have seen a bunch of chipped 135i's running in the 12's at the track, many on YouTube, but don't know what extra work they have had beside the tune.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pickler
great buy. you love the ride/handling and acceleration. you will not however like the maintenance, dunno bout 3-series but my 1-series Busted My Wallet so far.
I keep hearing that but so far the 3 we have in the family, including my 90K mile '04 330ci 6MT have not cost us more then a few hundred dollars out of pocket except for tires, oil, filters & wiper blades.

At any rate as long as I stay within warranty limits the new ride has no maintenance cost for the next 4 years. If its problematic over that time it will go when the warranty runs out if I don't go for their extended package.

BTW the TL 6MT has been in the shop more then the '04 BMW for recalls & TSB's. All repaired for free on Acura's dime
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I keep hearing that but so far the 3 we have in the family, including my 90K mile '04 330ci 6MT have not cost us more then a few hundred dollars out of pocket except for tires, oil, filters & wiper blades.

At any rate as long as I stay within warranty limits the new ride has no maintenance cost for the next 4 years. If its problematic over that time it will go when the warranty runs out if I don't go for their extended package.

BTW the TL 6MT has been in the shop more then the '04 BMW for recalls & TSB's. All repaired for free on Acura's dime
Hey Bear do you think a note of appreciation for the time people are taking to post positive comments about your car might be order on your part since people on a TL forum are showing a generosity of spirit in supporting you on your decision and by indicating appreciation for your car?

It's not like most of us couldn't go out and buy or lease that same car, y'know. We're in not in awe. Just my .02 and for the sake of clarity.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-20-2011 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Hey Bear, is that Space Gray? It's a beautiful color. My 535xi (currently on the Falstaff in the Atlantic - due into NYC 7-28-11) is also Space Gray. Just a gorgeous color for the BMW.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Hey Bear, is that Space Gray? It's a beautiful color. My 535xi (currently on the Falstaff in the Atlantic - due into NYC 7-28-11) is also Space Gray. Just a gorgeous color for the BMW.
It is Space Gray, am sure you will like the color when the boat gets in, the 5 series are really good looking cars.

Doesn't the waiting for the ship to finally arrive suck? When we got the 330 it took 10 loooong weeks to get the car.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 AM

It is Space Gray, am sure you will like the color when the boat gets in, the 5 series are really good looking cars.

Doesn't the waiting for the ship to finally arrive suck? When we got the 330 it took 10 loooong weeks to get the car.
Boy, does it ever!!! But when I'm getting most frustrated (with the wait) I reflect on the fact that I just put the order in 6-23-11. So when my impulsivity isn't getting the better of me I recognize that I'll be getting the car in just a bit over five weeks from order. Not bad really for a car that's being built specifically for me almost halfway around the world. Jeez, my sales guy called me with the car's production number just a few hours after I left the showroom. I'm figuring delivery should be 8-1-11.

That 3-series coupe is one sexy beast. A guy in the building I live in just got the 328i coupe convertible in black with the brown interior. Just gorgeous.

Like I said, mine is space gray with the cinnamon interior and anthracite wood.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Glashub
Hey Bear do you think a note of appreciation for the time people are taking to post positive comments about your car might be order on your part since people on a TL forum are showing a generosity of spirit in supporting you on your decision and by indicating appreciation for your car?

It's not like most of us couldn't go out and buy or lease that same car, y'know. We're in not in awe. Just my .02 and for the sake of clarity.
IMO, it's kind of sad (and pathetic) that this BMW love-fest is still the most popular thread here... mostly because the BMW guys have to keep it going as a sort of "IN YOUR FACE" sort of thing? Are the BMW forums not giving them the love they need? I guess over there it's like "Yeah, so you got one of those? I have one too.. yawn..."

As you said, most of us are not in awe.. though some are. Many that are wish they could afford one.. or something. I just don't know anymore *shrug*
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
IMO, it's kind of sad (and pathetic) that this BMW love-fest is still the most popular thread here... mostly because the BMW guys have to keep it going as a sort of "IN YOUR FACE" sort of thing? Are the BMW forums not giving them the love they need? I guess over there it's like "Yeah, so you got one of those? I have one too.. yawn..."

As you said, most of us are not in awe.. though some are. Many that are wish they could afford one.. or something. I just don't know anymore *shrug*
You should all be very proud of yourselves in that the discourse here has been very civil and friendly. Speak the cursed letters B-M-W on the Audi forum and watch the s--t fly.

;-)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

So Stew4HD, what's up with the '12 man? I've seen like 2 in my area now. Hadn't test drove one yet, what are your thoughts on the cars performance?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
So Stew4HD, what's up with the '12 man? I've seen like 2 in my area now. Hadn't test drove one yet, what are your thoughts on the cars performance?
Hey bleu, the '12 is a dream to drive for me. It's a huge step up from the 3G base I had in performance, handling, tech.. everything. I look forward to every chance to drive it. I love the looks and catch myself just staring at her. She everything and more than I expected.

About the only thing I would change if I could would be the trunk space but I didn't but this car for the trunk. I'd have gotten an MDX if I needed to haul more stuff but, then again, I still have my truck for that.

Thanks for asking! ^5
Glashub (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

You should all be very proud of yourselves in that the discourse here has been very civil and friendly. Speak the cursed letters B-M-W on the Audi forum and watch the s--t fly.

;-)
Agree +1. 99% of the guys have been very civil which does not surprise me at all based on 5 years of posting to the site. Those who have gotten bent out of shape are the ones you would expect to be bent out of shape based on prior posts. To me information about cars is information about cars & all is welcome.

That said, its been nothing like the posts in a BMW/Audi thread or the old Ford/Chevy threads. The current place for foaming at the mouth & gross misinformation replies seems to be YouTube.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Hey bleu, the '12 is a dream to drive for me. It's a huge step up from the 3G base I had in performance, handling, tech.. everything. I look forward to every chance to drive it. I love the looks and catch myself just staring at her. She everything and more than I expected.

About the only thing I would change if I could would be the trunk space but I didn't but this car for the trunk. I'd have gotten an MDX if I needed to haul more stuff but, then again, I still have my truck for that.

Thanks for asking! ^5
Nice, yeah the trunk for some might be an issue, but for someone like myself who's single and doesn't haul much around or like yourself with another vehicle like a truck it's an ideal 4dr sports sedan. I wanted to move away from the 2dr coupes for a spell and see what was up with the 4dr. Not disappointed at all.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

;-)

I think it's more like BMW and such fans when they stab and jab or boost on an ill subject or issues that's what seems to ruffle the feathers of Acura owners from my observation. There are places, even on here, where BMW is the cat's meow...for me, I find it weird to want to discuss the TL and read BMW post. Why would I go on the Mavericks webpage to read about the Rockets or Spurs or go on the Jets page to read about the Pat's? They have web pages with forums for that.
Stew4HD (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I think it's more like BMW and such fans when they stab and jab or boost on an ill subject or issues that's what seems to ruffle the feathers of Acura owners from my observation. There are places, even on here, where BMW is the cat's meow...for me, I find it weird to want to discuss the TL and read BMW post. Why would I go on the Mavericks webpage to read about the Rockets or Spurs or go on the Jets page to read about the Pat's? They have web pages with forums for that.
Very well put!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Becasue no one buys a car without being aware of the other choices. Some make more of an effort to educate themselves than others. I think that most folks who contribute on a website such as this are likely to be knowledgeable consumers. Choices presume comparisons. Some of these comparisons are lateral, some vertical but I think all comparisons are useful in arriving at a purchase decision. To one extent or another we are all "car guys" (and gasl?) here and discussing similarities, differences, pros and cons of cars is essentially what we do. Hey, it's not for the faint of heart. What can I tell you? Keep the nitroglycerine handy.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

^ you've missed the point completely.. maybe on purpose?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Becasue no one buys a car without being aware of the other choices. Some make more of an effort to educate themselves than others. I think that most folks who contribute on a website such as this are likely to be knowledgeable consumers. Choices presume comparisons. Some of these comparisons are lateral, some vertical but I think all comparisons are useful in arriving at a purchase decision. To one extent or another we are all "car guys" (and gasl?) here and discussing similarities, differences, pros and cons of cars is essentially what we do. Hey, it's not for the faint of heart. What can I tell you? Keep the nitroglycerine handy.
So now that you have heard all the good things there are about owning an Acura why are you still defending this over priced name plate.
$55,000 for a comparably equipped car??? $1,000 just for heated seats??? give me a break.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...OhV6fqMKfsRFc=

I almost forgot: SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've stayed out of this thread from from day after reading the first page. I knew where it was headed. I, myself was looking into getting a Bimmer as well before picking up the '12 TL, but i know my wallet wouldn't be able to handle the BMW plus the Tech on the TL is awesome.

But for sure I don't wanna to go to a Acura forum and read about BMW. Its a waste of my time.

BTW, congratulation on the 3-series. Very nice.

Quick Reply: Given a choice, which one?