Getting Information For New Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Information For New Car

Hey Guys, Long time lurker first time posting.

I have driven and owned many Ford and Lincoln/Mercury and GM products but I have decided to get a 2012 TL when my Mercury Milan Lease is up Next July (2012). This would be the first non-American vehicle that I am buying.

My first reason for choosing to go with Acura is reliability and the SH-AWD. I drove a TL last October (2010 Model) and really liked it and was very impressed with the handling and power.

My Second reason for choosing to go with Acura is the dealer. I was very impressed with the way they always take care of my wife's Honda when I bring it in for service and am always amazed at how they cleaned the vehicle, something I am not used to even on some Lincolns I have had.

I was wondering if you guys can give me a rundown of what you like and dislike about your '09-12 and any problems that you had.

It would be much appreciated .

Thank You.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am also getting ready to purchase (probably in August when inventory is higher) and wanted to negotiate in some extras.

I know the nav will need to be updated in several years does Acura still provide 1 free update and has anyone negoiated another free update.

Can you negotiate an extension of the XM service?

I want the dealer to include all the services up to 15K. What is required per the service manual.

Any other extras I should consider

Thanks

Last edited by KES; 06-30-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add more text
Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice choice!

The Acura TL was designed and built in America (California / Ohio). While Your Milan was built in Mexico. So your TL will be more American than your Milan
The following users liked this post:
Future2012TL (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KES
I am also getting ready to purchase (probably in August when inventory is higher) and wanted to negotiate in some extras.

I know the nav will need to be updated in several years does Acura still provide 1 free update and has anyone negoiated another free update.

Can you negotiate an extension of the XM service?

I want the dealer to include all the services up to 15K. What is required per the service manual.

Any other extras I should consider

Thanks
I doubt you can negotiate the XM service because that is with an outside provider. You get 3 months free.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Future2012TL
Hey Guys, Long time lurker first time posting.

I have driven and owned many Ford and Lincoln/Mercury and GM products but I have decided to get a 2012 TL when my Mercury Milan Lease is up Next July (2012). This would be the first non-American vehicle that I am buying.

My first reason for choosing to go with Acura is reliability and the SH-AWD. I drove a TL last October (2010 Model) and really liked it and was very impressed with the handling and power.

My Second reason for choosing to go with Acura is the dealer. I was very impressed with the way they always take care of my wife's Honda when I bring it in for service and am always amazed at how they cleaned the vehicle, something I am not used to even on some Lincolns I have had.

I was wondering if you guys can give me a rundown of what you like and dislike about your '09-12 and any problems that you had.

It would be much appreciated .

Thank You.
the TL came out in 09 and had a mid-cycle refresh in 2012. in '12 they added a 6spd auto (vs 5spd) so you get better acceleration and gas mileage. they also did a few cosmetics changes to the front and back of the car which has been universally (except for a few members here ) accepted as better looking. so i would definitely go for the '12 if you can swing it.

then you have to decide whether you want/need sh-awd. unlike other awd systems the sh-awd is actually made for bad weather conditions and better handling in dry weather. i'm in FL and love the sh-awd. the problem with the front wheel drive TL's is the insane amount of torque steer.

you also have the option of three trim levels:

1-base
2-tech package (adds navi, better stereo, keyless start, and a few other things)
3- advance (adds 19 inch wheels, blind spot and ventilated seats)

i would definitely not get the base; especially for re-sale. good luck
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Driving Experience = Good. It's a semi-enthusiast touring car

Road Noise = Good. There's cushier cars out there, sacrifice a little road noise for the performance.

Stereo = Excellent. Not too many factory units this good.

Ride Quality = Good. Not going to bang your teeth out, but not floating around like an old Buick.

SH-AWD = Excellent. Condition yourself to keep your foot in the throttle when it gets hairy, and you can put this car wherever you want to put it on the road.

Engine = Excellent. Very quiet compared to GM, BMW, Ford, and Nismo offerings, but gives a good note when under power. Smooth running, up to temp quickly.

Gearbox = Good. The SH-AWD and lower gears can come across as a bit abrupt. You'll get used to it.

Creature Comforts = Excellent. The air conditioner will freeze you out, and the heater will melt candles in the back seat. Nav and interface are excellent. Phone integration is excellent. Interior material quality is excellent. Keyless FOB and security work flawlessly

Storage Space = OK. It's a coupe-backed sedan, don't expect to haul home furniture.
Plenty of trunk space for groceries.

Rear Passenger Room = Excellent. Plenty of room for 6' passengers

Headlights = Excellent. Light up the night.

Paint = Excellent. Clear is a bit soft, but weathers very well.

Re-sale = Excellent. Hold their value better than anything you've owned to date.

Exclusivity = Good. You aren't going to see one on every corner like a 3 series or an ES. It will turn heads, and you'll get compliments. None of that matters - you'll know what is going to be said about it before anyone even approaches you, and you like the car very much.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pseudomaniac:
Future2012TL (07-01-2011), jasonwdp10 (06-30-2011), Shellyduchsk8s (06-30-2011), Stew4HD (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

^ Great synopsis! Well done!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only "bads" I can come up with on this car is:

1) Low roof line. If you're a tall person it makes getting in and out difficult.

2) Smaller than average trunk space.

3) No 60/40 fold down rear seats.

4) U Shaped arm rest is not the best design for some people

5) Weird carpet lining inside the wheel well

6) For a car in at this price point there's no auto adjust steering wheels. It's still a manual telescope lever design.

7) No sports pedals or dead pedal foot rest.

8) HDD - Not the best interface. Can't really load music directly from USB. I end up using XM or iPod most of the time.

As far as the goods that haven't been mentioned yet by Pseudomaniac .....

1) Steering wheel. Nice fat, short radius, and well balanced wheel. One of the nicest features of the car and important since it's the primary piece that connects the driver to the car.

2) The interior design. It may be a 4D but this car is very driver oriented.

3) Side door arm rest. I like them wide and the TL really provides a nice platform to rest your arm on.

4) Spring loaded AC power outlet cover. Yes it's not important but I somehow always like to play with it when I'm in the car.

5) Interior fit and finish is very solid. Even though plastic parts are used here and there you don't get the feeling it's a plastic box like in other cars. For example the new Chrysler's have redesigned interiors. From far away everything looks stylish and colorful. However when you get close to it several components are flimsy plastic. Even the chrome trims around the dials and gauges are low grade plastic.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 PM
2010 CBP SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
1) Steering wheel. Nice fat, short radius, and well balanced wheel. One of the nicest features of the car and important since it's the primary piece that connects the driver to the car.
Totally 2nd this, I came from an 08 Type-S and my least favorite thing on the car was the skinny steering wheel!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My preference would most likely be the following:

Crystal Black Met. (Ext) although I wish they offered a Dark Blue..

Black Leather (Int) although I wish they offered a Tan/Beige like the FWD Cars..

SH-AWD

Tech Group

Would love the ventilated seats like I had in a couple of Lincolns, but don't want to shell out the added money for the advance package and the low profile tires that go with it.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Driving Experience = Good. It's a semi-enthusiast touring car

Road Noise = Good. There's cushier cars out there, sacrifice a little road noise for the performance.

Stereo = Excellent. Not too many factory units this good.

Ride Quality = Good. Not going to bang your teeth out, but not floating around like an old Buick.

SH-AWD = Excellent. Condition yourself to keep your foot in the throttle when it gets hairy, and you can put this car wherever you want to put it on the road.

Engine = Excellent. Very quiet compared to GM, BMW, Ford, and Nismo offerings, but gives a good note when under power. Smooth running, up to temp quickly.

Gearbox = Good. The SH-AWD and lower gears can come across as a bit abrupt. You'll get used to it.

Creature Comforts = Excellent. The air conditioner will freeze you out, and the heater will melt candles in the back seat. Nav and interface are excellent. Phone integration is excellent. Interior material quality is excellent. Keyless FOB and security work flawlessly

Storage Space = OK. It's a coupe-backed sedan, don't expect to haul home furniture.
Plenty of trunk space for groceries.

Rear Passenger Room = Excellent. Plenty of room for 6' passengers

Headlights = Excellent. Light up the night.

Paint = Excellent. Clear is a bit soft, but weathers very well.

Re-sale = Excellent. Hold their value better than anything you've owned to date.

Exclusivity = Good. You aren't going to see one on every corner like a 3 series or an ES. It will turn heads, and you'll get compliments. None of that matters - you'll know what is going to be said about it before anyone even approaches you, and you like the car very much.

Bravo, very well done!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
The only "bads" I can come up with on this car is:

1) Low roof line. If you're a tall person it makes getting in and out difficult.

2) Smaller than average trunk space.

3) No 60/40 fold down rear seats.

4) U Shaped arm rest is not the best design for some people

5) Weird carpet lining inside the wheel well

6) For a car in at this price point there's no auto adjust steering wheels. It's still a manual telescope lever design.

7) No sports pedals or dead pedal foot rest.

8) HDD - Not the best interface. Can't really load music directly from USB. I end up using XM or iPod most of the time.

As far as the goods that haven't been mentioned yet by Pseudomaniac .....

2) The interior design. It may be a 4D but this car is very driver oriented.

3) Side door arm rest. I like them wide and the TL really provides a nice platform to rest your arm on.

4) Spring loaded AC power outlet cover. Yes it's not important but I somehow always like to play with it when I'm in the car.

5) Interior fit and finish is very solid. Even though plastic parts are used here and there you don't get the feeling it's a plastic box like in other cars. For example the new Chrysler's have redesigned interiors. From far away everything looks stylish and colorful. However when you get close to it several components are flimsy plastic. Even the chrome trims around the dials and gauges are low grade plastic.

"7) No sports pedals or dead pedal foot rest." I have one in my 09...
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
The '12 AT has it too
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The '12 AT has it too

You guys have metal or aluminum pedals/foot rest in your car that came stock?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

It's that rubber pad on the left side of the pedal area