Flushing the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Flushing the oil?

If one bought a used Honda auto trans with no real documented service history, let's say a 2009 Acura TL, it would be wise to change the ATF. Perhaps do a 3X drain and fill.

What about engine oil? A co-worker just picked up a used (09) TL. Private one owner. But there were no documents. The oil does look black from the dipstick. The past owner was not a car guy, so I bet the car needed an oil change. Because he was going to sell it, perhaps decided not to spend the $30, and kept on driving. I don't have a pic, but I'll just say dark (kind of thick) enough for me to make a post on this forum.

My co-worker will do an oil change this weekend. Just wondering, should he do something like a 2X oil change? To make sure all the old oil is pushed out? Or perhaps do a 2nd oil change sooner, but later? How effective is a 1X drain in getting "all" the old oil out?

Last edited by cabanalane; 09-26-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
just change the oil and call it a day
Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
The amount of old oil remaining after a proper oil change including filter would be minimal. Personally I would not bother.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by cabanalane
Or perhaps do a 2nd oil change sooner, but later? How effective is a 1X drain in getting "all" the old oil out?
An oil change gets out a lot of the engine oil-- official capacity is 4.5 quarts on the TL, so he'll probably get close to 4 quarts out between the oil pan drain and the old filter.

At most, I'd keep an eye on the oil color for the next couple of thousand miles, and maybe do a 2nd oil & filter change when oil life is @ 50% on the MM.

Last edited by Will Y.; 09-26-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
The oil capacity for an 09 RDX is 6-quarts, although an oil change w/ filter only drains 5-qts, leaving almost 20% of the old oil in the engine. A second oil change will then leave only a few ounces of the old oil (from after the 1st oil change). Is there a similar condition for the TL?

A couple of short interval oil changes with fully synthetic oil, will help to clean-up after the *old* oil. And there is really no problem with then returning to use non-synthetic oil, in case there is some concern here.

Mobil-1 5W30 HM (high mileage) specifically says it has a higher detergent level than other oils, although it is only rated SL, and not API SN, so you might hesitate to use it. There are other SN rated high mileage oils you could use. Just keep in mind that the SL rating on the Mobil oil is because of a higher than *normal* zinc content, not because the oil is *lower-quality*.

Low ZDDP levels are mandated in SN rated oils, to protect the CAT(s). A couple of oil changes with an SL rated oil is not going to cause a problem - but that is JMO, so make your own choices.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oil analysis?

If one bought a used Honda auto trans with no real documented service history, let's say a 2009 Acura TL, it would be wise to change the ATF. Perhaps do a 3X drain and fill.

What about engine oil? A co-worker just picked up a used (09) TL. Private one owner. But there were no documents. The oil does look black from the dipstick. The past owner was not a car guy, so I bet the car needed an oil change. Because he was going to sell it, perhaps decided not to spend the $30, and kept on driving. I don't have a pic, but I'll just say dark (kind of thick) enough for me to make a post on this forum.

My co-worker will do an oil change this weekend. Just wondering, should he do something like a 2X oil change? To make sure all the old oil is pushed out? Or perhaps do a 2nd oil change sooner, but later? How effective is a 1X drain in getting "all" the old oil out?
How about getting two Blackstone kits for analysis? Do one now for the unknown and then do another after 5~7.5k? That way, you can at least get some meaningful data for the wear condition...
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Add a little seafoam to the oil and change the oil after 250 miles. Should be fine after that. How many miles on the car?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
About 75K miles.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Drain the oil and replace the filter and add some seafoam the oil. Run it for a few miles and then drain it out, replace the filter and repeat minus the seafoam. I'd also recommend putting a little seafoam through a vac. line to get the internals cleaned up a little. Last but least, throw some Redline SI-1 Fuel cleaner in the gas tank or more seafoam and call it a day!

Honda engines aren't prone to sludging even if you leave the oil in the car past the 0% oil life on the gauge cluster. Oil turns black after 50 miles so using a color as an indicator of life doesn't help. What you should do is make sure with your friend that it isn't consuming any oil. I've seen a few TL's on here with oil consumption but it's been like 2-3 folks out of the thousands that come on here.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
How to use SeaFoam to clean your Engine - The RIGHT way!

a good link to describe how to seafoam your car. now if someone can show me where the brake booster line is in our car (pics please) i might do this tomorrow and make a DIY.