Do I really need a new windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Do I really need a new windshield?

Hi,

A big stone/rock hit my windshield and scared the heck out of me. The star pattern in the ding is not very big (maybe about the size of a nickel). My insurance policy has no deductible for glass. I figured I would have it repaired. I called Bulls Eye and the guy came out and he told me that he would recommend a new windshield. He said he was 95% sure that he could not get every little crack filled. He does not replace windshields, so it was not a ploy to get more money. I tried to convince him to give it a try and that if it did not work, then I could always replace the windshield later. He declined.

I am worried about replacing the entire windshield. I would imagine that it's never as good as factory installed and that problems might arise later. I believe that my insurance will cover the cost of an OEM windshield (though I am still waiting to hear from the windshield guy).

Should I get a whole new windshield or try to have the ding fixed? Is there any downside to trying the fix first? Might it be a safety issue?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Gregg
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
A pic would help
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
In VA, if it's under the size of a quarter they can typically fill it. However during the fill process the crack can spread out some. Personally, I'd probably have it filled.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Racer

I forgot to mention that the ding is in the upper right (passenger) side. I don't even see it because it's behind the visor. Even if the fix does not look great, I won't see it. As long as it is structurally sound and not a safety issue, I am leaning toward trying to have the ding fixed before replacing the whole windshield. I just wanted to get some opinions from others.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 05-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
if the damage is less than a quarter it can be filled in without any issue! I had a chip in the MDX about 3 inches to the right of the pillar on drivers side. Safelite came and filled it in. Hasn't expanded in nearly 3-4 years. Depending on the light I can catch a few edges of the chip in my vision but it is far from being an issue.

Getting the windshield replaced will be about $450 dollars for a new one that's aftermarket but has the same sound layer that the factory glass has. Most installers are competent and do an amazing job that seems like factory.

The longer you wait, the more the chance that it'll spread! Call up safelite and get them to do it, they also offer a warranty in the event the crack spreads. I believe they'll pay for a new windshield!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
I had to replace the windshield in my '15 RDX only 3 weeks after taking delivery due to rock damage. So you can imagine my concern with tampering with a brand new vehicle. The key is to find a local shop with a good reputation and one that uses either Pilkington or PGW glass, as those tend to be the higher quality (and same mfg's that do OEM glass). I tried to get OEM glass but the cost of the glass was 3x the cost of aftermarket, and insurance wanted me to pay the difference. I opted for the aftermarket (PGW) and haven't regretted it. You literally can't tell it's aftermarket, and the install was flawless.

Again, the key is finding a reputable installer with good reviews or recommendations. The person cutting out the old one, prepping the area and taking time to properly install the new one is the real key here....

andy
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Racer

Thanks for the responses.

If someone is willing to try to fix the ding, is there much of a downside to trying this (and then possibly replacing the windshield later if necessary)?

Do these things progress slowly, if at all, after being repaired? Or is there a chance that suddenly the whole windshield could fail?

I don't want to put it off if there is a safety issue, but if I can get the ding repaired and then watch for possible (slow) changes without much of any risk, then I think I'd like to do that.

Gregg
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
If you have it done by Safelite (or an equivalent) the goop/epoxy they use is sufficient. Your windshield also has two layers of glass + membrane to hold everything together. Typically the crack is only on the outside layer.

Your risk of total failure is pretty low if it's fixed. If you leave it cracked without repair though it definitely could shatter across the glass due to temperature changes and flex.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You really have 3 options:
1 Do nothing and hope it doesn't spider web out.
2. Find someone that will repair properly.
3. Replace the windshield.
Sounds to me like from the size and location you have nothing to loose with an attempted fix. Find someone else to fill and seal the damaged area before #1 above happens and you are forced into #3
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

I don't see where I can edit my reply so I re-read your email.
Depending on your state and insurance policy your insurance company might try to get small damage repaired. You are correct that some replacement glass is not equal to OEM glass, in fact it can be inferior. Do you have a rain sensor or other sensors that need to attach to the glass? Some aftermarket glass does not play well with these sensors. Also some aftermarket glass has different tint along the top, or might be no tint.
Is your mirror glued to the glass or bolted to metal?
If you can get actual OEM glass there is probably not much risk in the installer not getting a proper seal or other issues, as long as it is actual OEM.
Also, will your insurance carrier count this event as a claim against your policy?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Racer

Well, I am probably making a mess out of this.

I decided to try to have the ding fixed rather than replacing the whole windshield, so I called the guy who was going to replace the windshield. He said that my insurance approved an OEM windshield replacement and that he already ordered one from Acura. I had thought he would check back with me before ordering, but I said OK, though I also mentioned that I had been hoping to try to fix the ding.

He called back a little later and said he was able to cancel the order with Acura. I asked him about repairing the ding, since he also does that sort of thing, and he said that he would just leave it alone and hope for the best. This is without seeing it, but he said he trusted the other guy (from Bulls Eye). He said that if the cracks get worse, then I can replace the windshield later. I called my insurance and they cancelled the claim and said it would not negatively affect me, and that I could file a claim again in the future if it gets worse, since I already reported it and it's on file.

I have read a few reports of things getting worse when they try to repair the ding. If I could find someone to repair this (and not make it worse), that is what I'd like to do. I don't think anything is attached to my windshield and I don't think there are any sensors in my windshield, but I still worry that something might go wrong with the installation.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

The cracks could grow with temperature change and vibration. I'd bet if you push on the glass near the damaged spot on one side or the other you will see immediate growth of one or more legs from the point of origin.
The repair guys are pretty good at injecting material into the area that will hold it together and prevent growth.
You will likely need to get something done at some point. The one thing certain is that it will not go away which is a real bummer
Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in New England area, where its very common to get these dings in winter time.

I had a similar size ding on lower bottom corner of my Honda CRV. I did not replace my windshield for almost another year. But then one winter morning, while driving on Freeway, I heard a loud "thud" sound and that small ding spread through my entire bottom part of windshield. Though it still remained intact, but scared the hell out of me :-). I then got it replaced.
I too did not like the idea of replacing factory windshield for such a small ding. So in my opinion is, leave it as it is, since its not directly in front of you.
hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vbgregg
Well, I am probably making a mess out of this.

I decided to try to have the ding fixed rather than replacing the whole windshield, so I called the guy who was going to replace the windshield. He said that my insurance approved an OEM windshield replacement and that he already ordered one from Acura. I had thought he would check back with me before ordering, but I said OK, though I also mentioned that I had been hoping to try to fix the ding.

He called back a little later and said he was able to cancel the order with Acura. I asked him about repairing the ding, since he also does that sort of thing, and he said that he would just leave it alone and hope for the best. This is without seeing it, but he said he trusted the other guy (from Bulls Eye). He said that if the cracks get worse, then I can replace the windshield later. I called my insurance and they cancelled the claim and said it would not negatively affect me, and that I could file a claim again in the future if it gets worse, since I already reported it and it's on file.

I have read a few reports of things getting worse when they try to repair the ding. If I could find someone to repair this (and not make it worse), that is what I'd like to do. I don't think anything is attached to my windshield and I don't think there are any sensors in my windshield, but I still worry that something might go wrong with the installation.

Thanks,

Gregg
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it will spread. The TL uses the windshield as a structural component for ridgidy, so anytime the front end flexes the windshield flexs.

My chips only took a few days to cover the whole windshield on my 4G TL from a rock that kick up. The filler honestly has very little chance of causing additional damage. Leaving it alone is honestly the worst thing you can do.

If you were approved an Acura replacement windshield I'd go ahead and just get that if you are really concerned with how the glass will hold up after the epoxy repair. As I said above if the repair does fail most shops will pay at their own expense for a new windshield.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it will spread. The TL uses the windshield as a structural component for ridgidy, so anytime the front end flexes the windshield flexs.

My chips only took a few days to cover the whole windshield on my 4G TL from a rock that kick up. The filler honestly has very little chance of causing additional damage. Leaving it alone is honestly the worst thing you can do.

If you were approved an Acura replacement windshield I'd go ahead and just get that if you are really concerned with how the glass will hold up after the epoxy repair. As I said above if the repair does fail most shops will pay at their own expense for a new windshield.
Yes, thanks for the help. I certainly had not planned on doing nothing. I intended to get the epoxy repair until the repair guy said I should replace the entire windshield. Then the windshield replacement guy said he would just do nothing and wait to see if it got worse. That is the first time I ever considered doing nothing.

I guess I will try to find another epoxy guy.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vbgregg
Yes, thanks for the help. I certainly had not planned on doing nothing. I intended to get the epoxy repair until the repair guy said I should replace the entire windshield. Then the windshield replacement guy said he would just do nothing and wait to see if it got worse. That is the first time I ever considered doing nothing.

I guess I will try to find another epoxy guy.

Thanks,

Gregg
Glad to hear Safelite has a great warranty on their work