Conflicted...'09 purchase or '12 TL lease

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012 | 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Smile Conflicted...'09 purchase or '12 TL lease

I was all about buying my 09 tl tech coming off lease for $ 21400 with tax with 39k miles.
Financing will put me round 385 per month 5 year note. plan was to hold out for 5g for trade or hold on a couple more years until i get that itch...I've always leased cars and like the maintenance free deal...

My dealer called and offered me keys for keys no out of pocket for 12 tl tech for 400 monthly with taxes. The 13's must be rolling soon...

I have 3 payments left.

Feels like I'm pushing the odometer reset over again and most probably think its a no brainer.
Currently I was paying 479 per month so either buying mine or leasing new will save monthly.

Residual for 12 is $22395 purchase is 35100.

Besides the tranny nothing really appeals to me except the thought of new again..why am I so conflicted on this deal?????
Perhaps I should be getting the 13 rdx tech if deal was same
Old 04-23-2012 | 08:22 AM
Racer

I would go new....it's a minimal price difference per month and you know your getting a new vehicle. The 09 is already 4 years old, and you never really know how it was driven or maintained. I know in the long run buying new cars you always loose money. But, i personally always like to be the first one to drive the vehicle. Another note, the 2012 is more refined based on my experience. I had a 2010 prior, and that car was a rattle box. I may be one of the lucky ones, but my 2012 is firm, quite, and squeak & rattle free.

There are pros and cons to both of your situations. If you buy the 09, after 5 years the car is yours. If you lease the 12, you basically are paying the same amount over the 4 year, actually a bit more, and you still don't own the car........the biggest question is, do you want to keep driving a new vehicle every 4 years? Or are you trying to get out of the lease trap? If you want to buy a car and own it, i would recomend the 09, actually i would spend a few extra bucks and look for a 2010 or 2011, and you'll still be better off. Sorry for the long post, and the rambling, hope i made some sense in all of that. lol. BTW...I leased my 2012, and am planning on buying it out. So i'm also getting out of the lease trap. lol
Old 04-23-2012 | 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

As you've leased your 09 since new you already know how it's been maintained. Purchasing it will no doubt be more cost-effective. For me there isn't enough difference between 09-12 to justify spending the extra dough. Besides, I happen to like the more-aggressive look the 09- 11's offered anyway.

Of course, if leasing is a business write-off for you than going with the 12 would be beneficial. Otherwise I'd buy the 09. You can always trade if you like the 5g when it comes out or simply want something different. With the lease you're locked in for 3 years.
Old 04-23-2012 | 09:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acura2010
I would go new....it's a minimal price difference per month and you know your getting a new vehicle. The 09 is already 4 years old, and you never really know how it was driven or maintained. I know in the long run buying new cars you always loose money. But, i personally always like to be the first one to drive the vehicle. Another note, the 2012 is more refined based on my experience. I had a 2010 prior, and that car was a rattle box. I may be one of the lucky ones, but my 2012 is firm, quite, and squeak & rattle free.

There are pros and cons to both of your situations. If you buy the 09, after 5 years the car is yours. If you lease the 12, you basically are paying the same amount over the 4 year, actually a bit more, and you still don't own the car........the biggest question is, do you want to keep driving a new vehicle every 4 years? Or are you trying to get out of the lease trap? If you want to buy a car and own it, i would recomend the 09, actually i would spend a few extra bucks and look for a 2010 or 2011, and you'll still be better off. Sorry for the long post, and the rambling, hope i made some sense in all of that. lol. BTW...I leased my 2012, and am planning on buying it out. So i'm also getting out of the lease trap. lol
OP is saying hes already leasing an 09 tl so he would know how its been driven therefore he history of the 09 is irrelevant since he's been the one driving it. I would hold off for the nextgen tl and save on insurance costs and get rid of full coverage.
Like you said besides a 6speed auto tranny and +1mpg all around (sh-awd) and some very minor cosmetic changes, its not good enough of a reason to jump into the new tl. I think with the new changes they were trying to capture individuals who did not already own the tl. Not existing customers.
Old 04-23-2012 | 10:35 AM
Racer

sorry, my misunderstanding. I didn't realize that the 09 TL you would be buying is actually one that you've leased from new. In that case, buying your current TL out is a good option. As i mentioned, i plan to buy mine out. The only reason i went from my 2010 to the 2012 was because i was going from a base Black SH-AWD to a White SH-AWD w/Tech and 6spd Manual. I couldn't handle black anymore, and i was missing the Manual tranny. So for me, it was worth it becuase it was totally a different car. Now i have the car that i wanted with everything in it. So i would be more than happy to buy it out at lease end.
Old 04-23-2012 | 12:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acura2010
sorry, my misunderstanding. I didn't realize that the 09 TL you would be buying is actually one that you've leased from new. In that case, buying your current TL out is a good option. As i mentioned, i plan to buy mine out. The only reason i went from my 2010 to the 2012 was because i was going from a base Black SH-AWD to a White SH-AWD w/Tech and 6spd Manual. I couldn't handle black anymore, and i was missing the Manual tranny. So for me, it was worth it becuase it was totally a different car. Now i have the car that i wanted with everything in it. So i would be more than happy to buy it out at lease end.
Lolz. I'm curious, is the 6spd noticeably faster? Any comment on how it compares to 5spd paddle shifting?

Last edited by yantastic; 04-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2012 | 04:25 PM
Advanced

To the OP, I would lease the 12'. If you purchase your current TL, once its paid off.....you own a 9 year old car. For the peace of mind of warranty coverage, and the fact that in 3 years you can get into a brand new vehicle, I would lease. In addition, don't think you are locked into a lease once you sign one. For the past couple of cars that my wife and I have leased, I have easily been able to exit and get into something else. We will consistently keep cars for 16-19 months unlease we fall deep in love with them.
Old 04-23-2012 | 04:54 PM
Instructor

unless you desperately want one of the handful of things the 12 has that your 09 doesn't, it's a no brainer to buy the 09.

With few exceptions, leasing cars is a sucker's game.