Common 2012 TL Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common 2012 TL Problems

My warranty expires December 28th 2015, I bought my TL used with 44K on it. Great car! I was wondering if people with more miles on their TLs could tell me common issues and problems they have to deal with down the road. When I got the car I had the battery, external trans cooler filter, and some interior trim replaced under warranty. Since I still have time I would like to replace anything that is common to malfunction or fail on these cars. Before creating this new thread I spent a few days reading other threads on this forum and noticed that a common issue is the torque converter failing, resulting in hard shifts and jerks. I went to Acura and addressed my car shifting a little roughly when slowing down and coasting. I didn't get any software update or a replacement for my torque converter but I did get the trans fluid replaced. The car is better but I still can't understand fully the symptoms of a failing torque converter because I don't know how this 6 spd transmission is supposed to act. Otherwise everyone I talk to tells me the car is bulletproof if properly maintained. Let me know what you guys have noticed frequently! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
torque converter
propeller shaft

Top issues with 2012 and 4th gen models. 09-11 have several other annoyances, mostly rattles and blown speakers.

You'll know when the propeller needs attention, you'll hear a loud whistle under the car at any speed, but at high speeds it can be shrill enough to drown out your stereo.

The TC has a few symptoms. The most prevalent, and the one Acura can't ignore is the hunting tachometer. You'll find it happens most often between 35-50 mph, mostly uphill. The transmission can't decide if it should downshift so your tach will jump back and forth. You will feel it. Also, the tranny will generally not downshift when it should. There will be a noticeable lack of power. That's what I experienced anyway.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a 2012 Advanced FWD with 104,000 miles. I purchased it a year ago with 80K. Replaced the external transmission filter when I heard the gurgling sound on cold mornings this last winter and fixed this problem. I change the trans fluid every other oil change and use the Honda DW-1 fluid. I have not had any problems with the car at all. The 6 speed auto is a different than any auto trans i have had. Between 40-55 it will shift from 6th to 5th going uphill almost like it has a grade sensor. I think this is by design with the programming.
Getting ready for the timing belt and water pump change next month.
No problems with the stereo speakers but the guy who had it before me never challenged them from the music that was left on the hard drive. They are getting challenged now and I expect to have to install some better aftermarket speakers anytime.
First Honda product. Good so far.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
torque converter
propeller shaft

Top issues with 2012 and 4th gen models. 09-11 have several other annoyances, mostly rattles and blown speakers.

You'll know when the propeller needs attention, you'll hear a loud whistle under the car at any speed, but at high speeds it can be shrill enough to drown out your stereo.

The TC has a few symptoms. The most prevalent, and the one Acura can't ignore is the hunting tachometer. You'll find it happens most often between 35-50 mph, mostly uphill. The transmission can't decide if it should downshift so your tach will jump back and forth. You will feel it. Also, the tranny will generally not downshift when it should. There will be a noticeable lack of power. That's what I experienced anyway.
Same here. Sending my car for prop shaft Thurday. They will take snapshot for the TC as well. Car only got 30k.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
torque converter
propeller shaft

Just to clarify I have the FWD version & I think the prop shaft is only in the AWD versions. So basically the torque converter is the only weak point in this car? I am amazed about that!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
I have a 2012 Advanced FWD with 104,000 miles. I purchased it a year ago with 80K. Replaced the external transmission filter when I heard the gurgling sound on cold mornings this last winter and fixed this problem. I change the trans fluid every other oil change and use the Honda DW-1 fluid. I have not had any problems with the car at all. The 6 speed auto is a different than any auto trans i have had. Between 40-55 it will shift from 6th to 5th going uphill almost like it has a grade sensor. I think this is by design with the programming.
Getting ready for the timing belt and water pump change next month.
No problems with the stereo speakers but the guy who had it before me never challenged them from the music that was left on the hard drive. They are getting challenged now and I expect to have to install some better aftermarket speakers anytime.
First Honda product. Good so far.
This is also my first Honda product! Coming from a Nissan this TL is a different animal. I'm using 0W-20 synthetic. I will probably change the oil before the computer tells me, most likely at 5000 miles. Acura told me every 30K for the tranny flush, probably won't be doing it every other oil change!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:56 PM
8th Gear

Have you had any rattles from the glovebox? I have a 12 FWD Tech & temporarily fixed a rattle from the bottom right near the door, but plan on having the dealer fix it for good.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Banned

Yes! I always hear a loud rattle when reversing out of my driveway. Is that a common problem? I thought maybe somwthing in the glovebox was shaking around but seems to be an issue with you as well. I'll be at my Acura dealer this weekend so I can ask and see what they can do.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by apokhvalit
Yes! I always hear a loud rattle when reversing out of my driveway. Is that a common problem? I thought maybe somwthing in the glovebox was shaking around but seems to be an issue with you as well. I'll be at my Acura dealer this weekend so I can ask and see what they can do.
Congrats on your purchase. I bought a used 2012 FWD TL last year but I just traded it in last week.

To start:
If you have the FWD instead of the SH-AWD, you probably have a slightly lesser chance of having the infamous torque converter issue, but I had symptoms of it which was one contributing factor to getting rid of it. I noticed the rough TC jerking when going slowly uphill or during stop-and-go traffic when revving up around 2k rpm moving at around 40-50 km/h.

To Add:
Check out this thread with TSBs for the 4G TL:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...s-tsbs-701767/

The link contains a list of known problems with the TL and solutions that dealers can implement to fix. They're billable so dealers should fix it if it's under warranty. You can print out the specific TSB and bring it there to show them (though they should know if they're not playing dumb).

My TL had a rattle in the glove compartment which was hard to reproduce but once the mechanics found it, they insulated the area under the dash around the glove box and greatly dampened it.

I also had both rattles TSBs under the rear hat shelf. They stem from issues behind the trunk liner. You'll hear a clicking rattle when driving over bumps coming from the rear window area if you have it.

I also had the rattle from the moon-roof area but it only really shown it self when closing the doors and rarely when driving so I left it alone.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by apokhvalit

Not really when reversing it, but I notice it at certain RPMs, I'm going to take it to the dealer next week w/some other items & hopefully get them resolved!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 PM
9th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a glovebox rattle too...but going forward, over various pavement and bumps, getting pretty annoying. Gonna have to make an appointment.

Also, I've got a SH-AWD 6sp Manual, and when I shift into reverse my side mirror on the drivers side does not tilt down anymore...but the power adjustments and the memory settings still work. very odd.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j8956
Not really when reversing it, but I notice it at certain RPMs, I'm going to take it to the dealer next week w/some other items & hopefully get them resolved!
TIP: Be ready with some video recording of the rattle. I drove my TL today to get my door panels changed and a new key and couldn't replicate the noise on the test drive with the technician. They need to pinpoint the issue, so without any recording they will be only shooting in the dark. Weird how it comes and goes, even backing out today it wasn't rattling yet it has happened before when driving to class.