Buy '09 TL Tech or Lease '12 TL TECH???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012 | 10:01 PM
10th Gear

Wink Buy '09 TL Tech or Lease '12 TL TECH???

I appreciate any feedback on my current situation.

My current lease expires end of June. I currently pay $479 with 18k a year.
My current residual buyout in a few months is $20005. I currently have 35k miles and car is dealer maintained.

I was offered by my current dealer to trade in the car now, pay nothing out of pocket and be put in a new TL tech for $525 3yrs/18k(have 15k to roll) on loyalty.
Also offered tsx tech same deal $425 with taxes.
I felt the tl was high, not wanting to pay more than current, tsx not bad?

I am torn on whether I should buy out my car knowing I have pretty decent buyout price of 20005 + tax @21400. Financing will put me around $400 if nothing is put down.

Questions-
1. Will Acura negotiate the residual at lease end?
2. Knowing I have some equity does it make sense to purchase my lease and hold out for 2014 redesign or keep my car long term? Is the acura recert really worth it if buying?
3. If I can find a lease for a tl tech in the low 400's closer to June no money out of pocket is it worth starting over?

Goal is to lower payments with a 2nd baby on way.
I drive a lot for work so comfort is key, hence 18k deal.
I will say that I've had accords and acura's. not sure i'd go back to an accord to save after being spoiled with the tl.
Did test drive a few cars just to feel the market to see if I were to really save on payments what is out there? Accord, Passat, Sonata all low 300's with 3k down and minimal bells and whistles and power.

The purchase price of 09 tl tech was around 33k-the 10's just rolled in and I got a good deal.

My gut is saying to buy the car, it will last long time and have no payments in a shorter time frame if I put some $$$down.

My habit is new every 3/4 years though

I truly appreciate any feedback and experience on this matter.
Old 03-09-2012 | 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the forum! At the prices you were quoted I would buy the 09. There's not enough difference between a 9 and a 12 that warrant the extra cash outlay IMHO. Acura will not negotiate the residual at least by my experience. Another option is that Acura will extend your lease another year on a month-to-month basis. Considering it may still be under warranty it's not a bad option. Contact them directly for that info because your dealer may not tell you about it. That way your lease will be up when the 5g comes out putting you in a better negotiation position if you go that route.
Old 03-09-2012 | 03:50 PM
Instructor

I just traded a 10 in on a 12 and I can tell you that there are a bunch of 09, 10, and 11's on the lots. Some dealers don't want any more of them at this time and are offering very low trade in's. It seems the mid cycle re-design was what some people were looking for and they have turned those larger looking TL's with the smiley face look.

I know at the dealer I traded at you can buy a 10 for about $25,000 to $26,000 and the 09 is even lower. They had a couple of 11's with miles in the 14, 15,000 range with a asking price on them of $27,995 and they were certified. Of course they were on special at that price but they looked to be in very good shape.

You stated you looked at the TSX but I can tell you that is a really small car compared to the TL. You better take a real close look at that.

At this stage I would try to negotiate a better deal on the lease of the 12. I think you can do better than what is offered and if they don't come down any then wait until your lease is up and try again. Make sure they aren't adding anything into this lease to end it early.

I can tell you from past experience that Acura/Honda does not negotiate on the buy out at lease end. You take it or leave it. $20,000 may very well be a good deal when your lease comes due but then you will also have about 40,000 miles on it. I bet they would only offer you $20,000 for it on trade right now if you owned it. With the miles you have on it you may have bought too many miles because you are good until 54,000. Doing a 12,000 mile per year lease will save you a bunch of money and you'll be better to go over a couple of thousand miles than pay for miles you don't use.
Old 03-09-2012 | 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Welcome to the forum! At the prices you were quoted I would buy the 09. There's not enough difference between a 9 and a 12 that warrant the extra cash outlay IMHO. Acura will not negotiate the residual at least by my experience. Another option is that Acura will extend your lease another year on a month-to-month basis. Considering it may still be under warranty it's not a bad option. Contact them directly for that info because your dealer may not tell you about it. That way your lease will be up when the 5g comes out putting you in a better negotiation position if you go that route.

I also thought there wasn't much difference between the 10 and 12 but I can tell you I was wrong. The 12 has the 6 speed trans and it has a much tighter feel and the outside of the car is more streamlined and smaller without losing the inside space. I feel and see huge differences between the two and like the 12 much better than the 10 I traded in.
Old 03-09-2012 | 04:30 PM

if your habit is to change.. dont change to the same TL lol.. its technically not changing to another car.. your just getting a brand new(but same model) car.

imho, if your going to do a trade in, go for a different car..

but if i was was you, i would step up to a SH-AWD.

no point of trading a tech for a tech
Old 03-10-2012 | 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jvette
I also thought there wasn't much difference between the 10 and 12 but I can tell you I was wrong. The 12 has the 6 speed trans and it has a much tighter feel and the outside of the car is more streamlined and smaller without losing the inside space. I feel and see huge differences between the two and like the 12 much better than the 10 I traded in.
Appreciate your comments and I know opinions are subjective. However, for me the only incentive to switch would be the tranny and it is a small one at that. I happen to like the look and ride of my 10 as it is. The money difference wouldn't be worth it to me. Now an even-up swap might be a different story!
Old 03-10-2012 | 09:50 AM
Instructor

wrong price on the 11

[QUOTE=jvette;13613673]I just traded a 10 in on a 12 and I can tell you that there are a bunch of 09, 10, and 11's on the lots. Some dealers don't want any more of them at this time and are offering very low trade in's. It seems the mid cycle re-design was what some people were looking for and they have turned those larger looking TL's with the smiley face look.

I know at the dealer I traded at you can buy a 10 for about $25,000 to $26,000 and the 09 is even lower. They had a couple of 11's with miles in the 14, 15,000 range with a asking price on them of $27,995 and they were certified. Of course they were on special at that price but they looked to be in very good shape.

You stated you looked at the TSX but I can tell you that is a really small car compared to the TL. You better take a real close look at that.

At this stage I would try to negotiate a better deal on the lease of the 12. I think you can do better than what is offered and if they don't come down any then wait until your lease is up and try again. Make sure they aren't adding anything into this lease to end it early.

I can tell you from past experience that Acura/Honda does not negotiate on the buy out at lease end. You take it or leave it. $20,000 may very well be a good deal when your lease comes due but then you will also have about 40,000 miles on it. I bet they would only offer you $20,000 for it on trade right now if you owned it. With the miles you have on it you may have bought too many miles because you are good until 54,000. Doing a 12,000 mile per year lease will save you a bunch of money and you'll be better to go over a couple of thousand miles than pay for miles you don't use.[/QUOT

I was wrong about the price on the 11's they were starting at $30,000 and the 10's were at the $27,995
Old 03-10-2012 | 11:19 AM
10th Gear

I appreciate the comments. Waiting to hear back from dealer on the sharpening of the pencil routine keep you posted.
My buddy just traded in a 2005 tl with 112k for 10k in trade equity at BMW.
Makes me think buying car at 21k otd and driving a few more years trade at 15k makes monthly payments really low

Ideally I would rather have the awd 6 spd tech tl. Any experience of lease deals on this model?
3 years 12k money down??
Old 03-12-2012 | 12:31 PM
Advanced

I say just buy out your current car. That is a great price and your monthly payments will be much lower. No sense in raising your payments just to have a "new" car that's not much different from your current one.
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:18 PM
Instructor

lowering payments is not the same thing as saving money.

new every 3/4 years will be pretty spendy, best way to save money is to kick that habit

If you must carswap that frequently (and you mustn't), obviously you should avoid leases or buying new since you're paying the big fat off the lot depreciation, and you're doing it frequently on expensive products.

Buying out your lease is just like buying a used car, the bonus is basically that you know the maintenance history. Makes things simpler to compare when viewed this way.

IMO, find a nice newish used car that you will love (it may be your existing leased car), buy it for cash or as short a loan term as possible, hang onto it until you get into the "it's paid off and I can insure it liability only for pennies" zone, and reap the benefits.

probably want to keep an eye on long term maintenance costs too, obviously with an acura those should be quite reasonable.
Old 03-15-2012 | 05:57 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys!
Great feedback.
The pencil has been sharpened.
1) buy 09 payments @$390 per month all in no $$ out of pocket.
2)lease the 12 tech @ $425 inc taxes. Zero out of pocket. Keys for keys

Numbers
2012 tl tech--$35413
22450 residual
23k trade...

Opinions??

Opinions
Old 03-15-2012 | 08:14 PM
Advanced

Sounds close to what I was estimating for me, I have a '10 Tech, residual $22K, 11 payments to go. What interest rate they offer you? 5 years, right?
Good luck either way. I believe I will have the same dilemma in Mar '13.
Old 03-15-2012 | 08:22 PM
10th Gear

5 years low 2's%
lease money factor around the same.
No one seems to know when new redesign is scheduled heard next summer..Acura so secretive