Any ideas would help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Any ideas would help...

Two weeks ago, I went to purchase a '10 TL SH-AWD w/Tech for me and a '10 RDX SH-AWD w/Tech for my wife. Unfortunately for me, the internet sales manager I was dealing with, blatantly lied about the purchase price, and, it wasn't until I gave a $500 deposit, that I realized. So needless to say, I backed out of the deal. I was promised the refund of $500 would be credited the next morning. Well, here we are now 2 weeks later and even phone calls to the dealerships GM, haven't helped. Spoke with him last week and he promised me it would be done the next morning. That was Thursday...

The dealership is 1.5 hrs. away, so driving there to deal with it is my last option. Has anyone else had such an experience and can offer some advice??

Best regards!!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
"I was promised the refund of $500 would be credited the next morning''

Was the deposit via check or credit card?...cancel the check/despute the charge on the cc
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Instructor

The deposit was by credit card, and just this morning I called to dispute the charge. I'm hoping to get this resolved in the next 10 days.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
"I was promised the refund of $500 would be credited the next morning''

Was the deposit via check or credit card?...cancel the check/despute the charge on the cc
x2 ... or if you did it via a debit card, then call your bank and tell them what is going on
Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Credit card? Easy fix. Call the CC company and dispute. Takes 5 minutes and let the CC company deal with the dealership. They won't be able to justify keeping the deposit. No services rendered for the $500.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Thank you for all the ideas. That's exactly what I did this morning. HSBC told me it will take 10 business days for investigation to conclude. I also registered a complaint with the BBB iin CT., against the dealer.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
What a horrible story! I am so sorry to hear about this. You should file a complaint to Acura corporate too, to let them know about this shady dealer.

So what cars are you going with now?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Thanks Ostrich! Along with notifying my CC company and BBB, I sent the GM an email this morning. He actually called me about 2 hours ago and left a message when I couldn't get to the phone. He told me they did refund the CC and that perhaps it was my bank being slow to show the transaction. Perhaps he is right, so I will keep checking my account online hourly:-) I know it's only $500, but for someone who has been out of work for nearly a year and a half, it's a large sum. My wife and I will be sticking with Acura. I have an '01 CL Type S with 180k miles, that I would like to replace. And she is still loving the RDX. I'm still hoping things work out so I can eventually get my 4th Gen TL SH-AWD. Even after this all this is behind me, I'd still like to write Acura corporate...I just don't have any idea where I could send it. I was doing some Google searches last night around 3am, so I couldn't make sense if anything:-)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobra611
Thanks Ostrich! Along with notifying my CC company and BBB, I sent the GM an email this morning. He actually called me about 2 hours ago and left a message when I couldn't get to the phone. He told me they did refund the CC and that perhaps it was my bank being slow to show the transaction. Perhaps he is right, so I will keep checking my account online hourly:-) I know it's only $500, but for someone who has been out of work for nearly a year and a half, it's a large sum. My wife and I will be sticking with Acura. I have an '01 CL Type S with 180k miles, that I would like to replace. And she is still loving the RDX. I'm still hoping things work out so I can eventually get my 4th Gen TL SH-AWD. Even after this all this is behind me, I'd still like to write Acura corporate...I just don't have any idea where I could send it. I was doing some Google searches last night around 3am, so I couldn't make sense if anything:-)
Cobra611, $500 is a lot of money!!! Will you be going with another dealer then?

Anyway, here's the Acura corporate contact that I found on their website:

CONTACT ACURA CLIENT SERVICES
For further assistance, feel free to contact Acura Client Services. You can get in touch with us several ways:

By Phone(800) 382-2238 toll free
Monday through Friday
6:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Pacific Standard Time

By Fax(310) 783-3535
By MailAcura Client Services
1919 Torrance Blvd. M/S 500-2N7E
Torrance, CA
90501-2746

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Ostrich, thanks again! That's exactly what I was looking for. I WILL be sending a letter describing my experiences with the sales tactics of this dealer. Even if nothing will be done, I will feel better:-)
There are at least 6 Acura dealers within a 60 mile radius of where I live here in NY. I will be MORE than happy to buy from them, when the time is right. With that said, I will make sure the wife has her RDX first, then I will begin looking again for the TL.
I truly appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. I joined this site quite a while ago, but haven't spent much time here. I think that's gonna change!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Cobra, I put a $500 deposit on a Toyota Camry Hybrid before I bought my Type S. It took them a while to get my deposit credited to VISA.

As long as you dispute it with your credit card, you won't have to pay that until the situation gets resolved.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Well, I am happy to say, the $500 is back in my account this morning. I suppose I should send a thank you email to the dealership.Nah, on second thought...
Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Hey, cobra611, why don't you just get the RDX first, then wait for a bit for the 2012 to arrive next spring/summer? Would that be too late for you? If you can, then you will get the 6AT and other goodies!!! :-)
Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Ostrich...
I have been thinking the same thing. I have been searching the 'net for any possible updates for 2012. Is the 6AT a definite? If it is, then I much more likely to wait! I'm very happy I joined this site and have been able to enjoy it more!!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I know it's only $500, but for someone who has been out of work for nearly a year and a half, it's a large sum....
If $500 is a large sum, maybe buying a new luxury auto should wait until you are employed again. Give it time.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Ostrich...
I have been thinking the same thing. I have been searching the 'net for any possible updates for 2012. Is the 6AT a definite? If it is, then I much more likely to wait! I'm very happy I joined this site and have been able to enjoy it more!!
I don't think that it's official but then all the reports indicate that the 6AT will be in the 2012 model. If I were you, I would just wait! :-)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I hope I don't regret saying this but if your unemployed, why are you buying two brand new cars?

I'm glad you got your money back.

Which dealership is this?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
I hope I don't regret saying this but if your unemployed, why are you buying two brand new cars?

I'm glad you got your money back.

Which dealership is this?
Your post smacks of sexist elitist BullShit. Why would that matter? I make a 10th of what my lady makes, so $500 is a lot of money to me.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Instructor

I'm not going to explain the reason why I was on the verge of purchasing 2 new vehicles. But, there was a method to my madness...and we were advised to do so by our lawyer:-)

It was Acura by Executive in North Haven, CT.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm not going to explain the reason why I was on the verge of purchasing 2 new vehicles. But, there was a method to my madness...and we were advised to do so by our lawyer:-)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Your post smacks of sexist elitist BullShit. Why would that matter? I make a 10th of what my lady makes, so $500 is a lot of money to me.
If you read what I wrote and the conclusion you came to is that I am sexist and elitist then oh well. Coming from someone that has criticized another member for living in a townhome, I don't feel the need to defend myself to you.

Last edited by ggesq; 10-11-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Uh oh....I live in a townhouse too:-(
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

It was Acura by Executive in North Haven, CT.
I would love to know the story behind why any lawyer would advise buying two new luxury vehicles....Crazy lawyers.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Some might also consider the use of "My Lady" smacks of sexist BullShit.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by explorerlyon
I would love to know the story behind why any lawyer would advise buying two new luxury vehicles....Crazy lawyers.
While I don't know exactly what is going on in this situation, I've had friends who were advised to do so before filing for bankruptcy. Getting one after requires trustee approval, and getting one before has the possibility of having the interest reduced.

Good luck with whatever you have going on. Sounds like a tough time, but hard work can get you thru most anything.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Instructor

can't go into
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by petec2010
While I don't know exactly what is going on in this situation, I've had friends who were advised to do so before filing for bankruptcy. Getting one after requires trustee approval, and getting one before has the possibility of having the interest reduced.

Good luck with whatever you have going on. Sounds like a tough time, but hard work can get you thru most anything.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by petec2010

Anyone that would do that is a thief. That is no different than just walking into a store and stealing. Some people have morals, some do not. I know a lot of people do that before filing bankruptcy. But to buy something knowing you are not going to pay for it with a pre-planned bankruptcy is simple theft.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the ideas. That's exactly what I did this morning. HSBC told me it will take 10 business days for investigation to conclude. I also registered a complaint with the BBB iin CT., against the dealer.
I bought my '10 Tl from Heart Acura. I dealt with Armondo and they were straightforward without any BS. Great Price too. Sounds like a DIRTBAG dealer!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^^ Agreed.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WOW! Some folks are amazing! I make six figures and I'm still driving my paid for 2004 TL and my wife is driving 2006 MDX also paid for. When you get to the point that $500 causes such stress that you need to check your bank hourly...I would say TWO brand new luxury cars should be the last thing on your mind. That's just my opinion, but that's why this forum is here...for everyone's opinion to be posted. If you don't want members in your business, then don't post. By the way, I don't live in a townhouse, so Marco, leave me alone!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Anyone that would do that is a thief. That is no different than just walking into a store and stealing. Some people have morals, some do not. I know a lot of people do that before filing bankruptcy. But to buy something knowing you are not going to pay for it with a pre-planned bankruptcy is simple theft.
Explorer...please allow me to clear the air(this is a car forum, so make that exhaust). I am NOT filing for bankruptcy, I was trying to be humorous with the lawyer statement. But, since you brought it up, I feel the need to correct you, as you apparently don't know what you're talking about....AND, because I have a very good friend who IS a bankruptcy attorney, I get to prove that I have actually been listening to him over the years:-) When a person files either Ch. 7 or 11, they do NOT get to keep their cars (or home)if they include them with the filing. The ONLY way to keep either the car or home is, once the filing has been submitted, your attorney will then file a motion to reaffirm those debts...meaning you keep the car or house, AND you STILL have the payments! But, the simple benefit of purchasing a newer vehicle, as Petec mentioned, is the fact you surrender your older vehicle when you file(if you have one), and get a new(er) one before filing because your credit will obviously take a big hit once you do file. Getting another car after filing may not be so easy. So, surrendering the older car and reaffirming the debt, theoretically you can now afford it as all your other debts(unsecured) have been wiped away. Hope that helps explain it a little better.

NVMYT...I didn't post any confidential information. BUT, I also maintain the right to NOT comment further on something if I feel I will be disclosing something off limits. And that's regardless, of what I mentioned in previous posts! Not to mention, even when I was working and coupled with my wifes salary we made some very good money, $500 was still a lot of money to me. Anyone who thinks differently, I will PM you with my home address and you can send me a $500 check which I will gladly accept

Last edited by cobra611; 10-09-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Cobra, I never wrote that you posted "confidential" information nor did I write that $500 wasn't alot of money...what I wrote was "When you (meaning anyone...including myself) get to the point that $500 causes such stress that you need to check your bank hourly...I would say TWO brand new luxury cars should be the last thing on your mind". Now, with that being written, it is certainly up to you to do whatever you feel is in your and your family’s best interest, but when you share this non-confidential information on this forum, don't get annoyed with me for offering my opinion.

By the way, I’m happy you got your money back and wish you luck in getting the deals you seek on your new vehicles. I love my 04 and it hasn’t given me any trouble at all…that’s probably the reason I haven’t gotten a new car. Maybe I’ll start looking again when my car reaches 100K…with the current mileage at 53,717, it may be a while! Cheers!

Last edited by NVMYT; 10-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Instructor

I never said I was annoyed...still ain't

My '01 CL Type S is about to cross 180k miles. Still runs strong and knock on wood, I haven't had any major problems. Typical maintenance, brakes, timing belt, tires. The only unexpected things were motor mounts and front wheel bearings. I think the car is worth about $2500 as a trade in, so if I continue to drive it the way I have, and jack up the miles, I do not want to have to put more money into it for preventive maintenance. Especially, if the work is worth more than the car itself. I have been playing with the idea, at least just the past few nights, of trading the CL in and getting a '08 TSX...just to hold me over until the 2012 TL's come out. Decisions, decisions!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Cobra, you didn’t have to “say” you were annoyed…your capitalization and exclamation point illustrated that for you. In any case, good luck to you with your current, hold-over or new 2012 TL.