Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question- and this is a fairly basic one for this thread, but this thing is such a beast now it is hard to find actual details on the issue in here.

What constitutes "excessive oil consumption"? How would I know if I need to have the diagnostics run? When the oil change light come on, where on the dip stick does "excessive" usually land for instance? At the "Add" line, or below? Anything under the top of the full hash marks?

How many cars is this impacting/what are my chances of being just fine?

I have to drive 2hrs to my nearest dealership, so I don't know if this is something I need to get checked out. I had an Accord with a similar issue with the rings and I rebuilt that one out of pocket... don't ever want to go there again. I purposely bought a Honda product WITHOUT VCM to hopefully avoid this issue, but apparently Honda forgot how to make engine rings or something.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:26 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Excessive is defined by Acura as anything over 1 quart of oil burned per 1000 miles. 1 quart can be measured from the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick to the bottom. That is 1 quart of oil. No way to know how many vehicles it effects. Just monitor your oil level on the dipstick and how many miles you have driven and you will know how much is burnt, assuming there is not an oil leak of course.
The following users liked this post:
badbart (03-06-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Excessive is defined by Acura as anything over 1 quart of oil burned per 1000 miles. 1 quart can be measured from the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick to the bottom. That is 1 quart of oil. No way to know how many vehicles it effects. Just monitor your oil level on the dipstick and how many miles you have driven and you will know how much is burnt, assuming there is not an oil leak of course.
so if its at the “low point” on the dip stick,then you add a quart it will read at the top of the hashmarks?? Doesnt seem right. Good info to have...​​​​​​ i was figuring halfway down the hashmarks is “half” the oil capacity.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by TLbullet
so if its at the “low point” on the dip stick,then you add a quart it will read at the top of the hashmarks?? Doesnt seem right. Good info to have...​​​​​​ i was figuring halfway down the hashmarks is “half” the oil capacity.
Yes half way down the marks is only half a quart. All the way to the bottom is one quart.
The following 2 users liked this post by dopeboy1:
badbart (03-06-2020), TLbullet (03-04-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unforunately, 6 months later after doing my pistons/gaskets, I'm starting to hear the dreaded piston slapping rattling again.... (( I think the car might also be starting to burn oil again as well
Old 03-09-2020, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Just my luck; did the consumption test last year and passed (though the oil was low on the final change). Now, a year later, the guy who changed my oil last week tells me that he's pretty sure I'm burning oil.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Just my luck; did the consumption test last year and passed (though the oil was low on the final change). Now, a year later, the guy who changed my oil last week tells me that he's pretty sure I'm burning oil.
Looks like we're back to square one! what's the next step boys?
Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts
Dump the car.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:27 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
You were burning oil back then too. Its just a matter of how much. Monitor the dip stick and you will find out how much. Sounds like its probably not that much.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Do all 3.7's end up doing this? Should I stay away from AWD TLs or is it just luck of the draw?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinZ
Do all 3.7's end up doing this? Should I stay away from AWD TLs or is it just luck of the draw?
It depends upon whom you talk with; some folks are adamant the 3.7 in other Acura models (MDX, RL, and ZDX) have no such problems. Others maintain all J37 models have the issue.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 69 Posts
This is DEFINITELY my last acura. EVER. EVVVVVVVVER. ITs aocool car, powerful, smooth but constantly breaks down, tons of recalls...Im over it.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I won't buy another Acura either, but I have to say I am impressed by how they stood behind the car. Mine is a 2011, so to have your top end replaced at over 100K is almost shocking. I know you can get in to why it needed replaced, but at least they did stand behind it. Many car companies would not have. I'm not convinced the fix worked, but I wasn't having any problems as long as I checked my oil and made sure it didn't get low. I've heard lots of other manufacturers like BMW and Audi have the same issues, but it is just the way the car is. I also have to commend them on the air bag recall. I had a loaner car for about 3 months waiting for parts. I heard other manufactures basically said the car was OK to drive, but Acura stepped up and let me park the car giving me a loaner.

I believe there is also a law suit against Acura, so if you did have to pay for repairs, you should be able to get in on that claim.

There are a few reasons I most likely won't buy another Acura, the largest is that I don't like the TLX and there are other cars out there I like better. The other is the service department. I haven't owned other "luxury" cars so I'm not sure if all service departments are snobby or just Acura.

So, did I miss something? what other recalls did you have. I can only think of a couple, and I had more on my Chevy truck when I first bought it.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermoguy
I won't buy another Acura either, but I have to say I am impressed by how they stood behind the car. Mine is a 2011, so to have your top end replaced at over 100K is almost shocking. I know you can get in to why it needed replaced, but at least they did stand behind it. Many car companies would not have. I'm not convinced the fix worked, but I wasn't having any problems as long as I checked my oil and made sure it didn't get low. I've heard lots of other manufacturers like BMW and Audi have the same issues, but it is just the way the car is. I also have to commend them on the air bag recall. I had a loaner car for about 3 months waiting for parts. I heard other manufactures basically said the car was OK to drive, but Acura stepped up and let me park the car giving me a loaner.

I believe there is also a law suit against Acura, so if you did have to pay for repairs, you should be able to get in on that claim.

There are a few reasons I most likely won't buy another Acura, the largest is that I don't like the TLX and there are other cars out there I like better. The other is the service department. I haven't owned other "luxury" cars so I'm not sure if all service departments are snobby or just Acura.

So, did I miss something? what other recalls did you have. I can only think of a couple, and I had more on my Chevy truck when I first bought it.
They had terrible transmission issues back with the 2G TL and early 3G TL. These failures were catastrophic which necessitated a complete rebuild or replacement. They had to step up and take care of those out of warranty too. Unfortunately Honda is not the reliable workhorse of the 80's-90's.
We don't know what long term damage has been done to these engines because of low oil. But it can't be good.

Admittedly though, most of my issues are with the dealers. I've documented my issues earlier in this thread.

My other main issue with Acura now is that they still use a timing belt on their V6 engines.

Prior to the MDX, I had a 2008 CX-9. Darn thing wouldn't lose a drop of oil between oil changes (and it was a friggin Ford engine). It was a great vehicle. No complaints with it.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
This is DEFINITELY my last acura. EVER. EVVVVVVVVER. ITs aocool car, powerful, smooth but constantly breaks down, tons of recalls...Im over it.
I think you might be exaggerating a little bit here. What constant break downs did you have? What are these tons of recalls that you did, other than the couple airbag ones?

The only issue I had with mine is the oil consumption issue, which was fixed by Acura. Yes I still am burning a little bit of oil 6 months after the fix, but nothing major and not a big deal for me. I love driving this car and all I have is smiles when I'm ripping through gears. That being said, I also would not buy another Acura again solely due to the direction its going. The TLX was such a let down in my opinion in terms of performance and driveability. Also no manual.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick update for you guys. I had all the work done under warranty and the engine is still burning oil. I've put over 10k so far and it's a been about half a year. Running full synthetic as well. It's burning nowhere near what it did before. Not concerning. Less than a liter between oil changes which is considered normal according to Acura standards
Old 03-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bb6-604
Just a quick update for you guys. I had all the work done under warranty and the engine is still burning oil. I've put over 10k so far and it's a been about half a year. Running full synthetic as well. It's burning nowhere near what it did before. Not concerning. Less than a liter between oil changes which is considered normal according to Acura standards
Thanks for the note. A little concerning if it gets worse than that. But 1L between oil changes is nothing compared to what we had.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dinot
Thanks for the note. A little concerning if it gets worse than that. But 1L between oil changes is nothing compared to what we had.
It'll really suck if it gets worse but what can we really do. I've tried every top brand of synthetic oils. Brands that are not available to the public and it makes no difference. Guess another option is to change over to 5W30 which I've heard helps.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bb6-604
It'll really suck if it gets worse but what can we really do. I've tried every top brand of synthetic oils. Brands that are not available to the public and it makes no difference. Guess another option is to change over to 5W30 which I've heard helps.
I was on 5w-30 Mobil 1 before I took mine in for the fix and it was slightly better. Gas mileage was worse. I had forgotten about that because since I got my car back, I've been getting about 2 MPG better. I was wondering why my car was better there and then I recalled that I was on 5w-30 for over a year and now I was on 20 weight.

Cdngeo (06-13-2023)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
I got the letter about the excessive oil consumption settlement. I see nothing in the proposed settlement agreement that actually specifies how "excessive oil consumption" is defined. Is it Acura's 1 qt. per 1k miles definition? My 2013, with only about 45k miles on it, currently uses about 1 qt. per 2500 miles. The proposed 8 year (from original "in service" date) extended warranty would have my extended warranty period expire in June of 2021. Given that I'm not putting a lot of miles on the car I don't expect the engine will be using 1 qt per 1000 miles by then. So will I be SOL for getting the warranty repair? IMO 1 qt. per 2500 miles is excessive, and will only get worse over time.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts
I believe the threshold is about 1qt/1000 miles.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

I wanted to run my situation by the group. So, Acura is going to do an 80/20 with me since I started my test after 9/1/2019 (even though they gave me incorrect information). I don't think I have much more fight in me. So, my dealer is quoting me $1200 for the oil consumption repair and another $1200 for the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, and tensioner and oil pump leak repair. I'm being told the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, and drive belt are about $600 for the parts and they are charging me $300 for the labor (for a total of $900 for that piece of it) - they said that job is usually $1300. They are quoting me $290 for the oil pump repair. I've looked over all of the posts on this thread and quotes are pretty across the board, so I just want to make sure I am not getting screwed here. I don't know why they are charging me labor on the timing belt, when I asked him he said they don't fully remove the timing belt, the brackets or the water pump. However, the TSB states that removing the timing belt is step 11. Just wanted to get some advice or input. I think the oil pump repair is a no-brainer. If the timing belt stuff is a good deal, I'll get it done, but if not - I'd like to know. I'm at 85,000 miles on a 2012 so I'd be doing the timing belt stuff sooner than later anyway. Any other items I should be getting done/looked at while there too? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:00 PM
Pro

They are just wrong.

Originally Posted by HaloGirl
I wanted to run my situation by the group. So, Acura is going to do an 80/20 with me since I started my test after 9/1/2019 (even though they gave me incorrect information). I don't think I have much more fight in me. So, my dealer is quoting me $1200 for the oil consumption repair and another $1200 for the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, and tensioner and oil pump leak repair. I'm being told the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, and drive belt are about $600 for the parts and they are charging me $300 for the labor (for a total of $900 for that piece of it) - they said that job is usually $1300. They are quoting me $290 for the oil pump repair. I've looked over all of the posts on this thread and quotes are pretty across the board, so I just want to make sure I am not getting screwed here. I don't know why they are charging me labor on the timing belt, when I asked him he said they don't fully remove the timing belt, the brackets or the water pump. However, the TSB states that removing the timing belt is step 11. Just wanted to get some advice or input. I think the oil pump repair is a no-brainer. If the timing belt stuff is a good deal, I'll get it done, but if not - I'd like to know. I'm at 85,000 miles on a 2012 so I'd be doing the timing belt stuff sooner than later anyway. Any other items I should be getting done/looked at while there too? Thanks in advance!
go to another dealer. When so many of us got the repair for FREE. WHY WOUKD THEY CHARGE U FIR THEIR FAUlty PRODUCT. not all dealerships are created equally. Go to another dealership many of us did. It is kinda late in the game for u to seek repairs when they sent this memo out more than a year ago. But still. Go to another dealer and speak with the service manager. Ask him why should u pay for the engine rebuild WhT. Thousands of other got the repair for free. And water pump and timing belt doesn’t have to be replaced at this time. Mine wasn’t. And the car drives like a dream.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
go to another dealer. When so many of us got the repair for FREE. WHY WOUKD THEY CHARGE U FIR THEIR FAUlty PRODUCT. not all dealerships are created equally. Go to another dealership many of us did. It is kinda late in the game for u to seek repairs when they sent this memo out more than a year ago. But still. Go to another dealer and speak with the service manager. Ask him why should u pay for the engine rebuild WhT. Thousands of other got the repair for free. And water pump and timing belt doesn’t have to be replaced at this time. Mine wasn’t. And the car drives like a dream.
Thanks! Yeah, I am really unhappy. I started the consumption test on 10/11/19 - I called in August of last year and was told the test had to be completed based on the purchase date so I would have needed to have it done in by 4/1/19. Two people at Acura Client Relations told me the same thing until I finally talked to a case manager in early October and he told me to get it done but he "couldn't promise anything." I only have one dealer in my state (so I've always felt kind of stuck - I've had many issues with them and only go for recalls) and I've been working with Acura Client Relations too. I guess I could call Acura Client Relations or call a dealer in Utah (they'd be the closest I think).
Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HaloGirl
Thanks! Yeah, I am really unhappy. I started the consumption test on 10/11/19 - I called in August of last year and was told the test had to be completed based on the purchase date so I would have needed to have it done in by 4/1/19. Two people at Acura Client Relations told me the same thing until I finally talked to a case manager in early October and he told me to get it done but he "couldn't promise anything." I only have one dealer in my state (so I've always felt kind of stuck - I've had many issues with them and only go for recalls) and I've been working with Acura Client Relations too. I guess I could call Acura Client Relations or call a dealer in Utah (they'd be the closest I think).

"Acura Oil Consumption Settlement Terms

Honda has agreed to reimburse for out-of-pocket expenses incurred before the class action notice date as long as a customer submits a valid and eligible claim and the required documents.

Honda has also agreed to cover the costs for piston repairs after the settlement agreement has been signed as long as the repair is performed during the powertrain warranty period or the warranty gap period.

The gap period means the six months after the effective date of the settlement and applies only to vehicles which are outside the powertrain warranty period and which do not have prior eligible repairs for which the claim can be made.

Honda will also cover the cost for a piston repair after the Acura oil consumption settlement is signed, provided the repair is performed during the powertrain warranty period or during the warranty gap period.

In addition, Honda will provide an updated powertrain warranty period to customers after the Acura oil consumption settlement is signed.

A customer may need to have an excessive oil consumption test performed by an Acura dealer under the warranty extension period. The procedure is explained in the settlement.
  1. Your vehicle will need to be topped off with oil to start the oil consumption test.
  2. The dealership may ask you questions about your oil service history, including whether you top off the engine oil in between oil change visits.
  3. You will be provided an engine oil consumption test form and the starting mileage on your vehicle will be recorded.
  4. The service advisor will provide you with instructions on how to check the engine oil level (as needed or at various intervals), what information you may need to record on the test form and when to return to the dealership (this is usually after 1,000 miles of driving).
  5. The dealer will determine how much oil (if any) your vehicle consumed during the 1,000 mile trip.
  6. Your vehicle’s engine oil consumption is “excessive” if the oil consumption rate is 1 quart or more every 1,000 miles.
  7. If your oil consumption is excessive and your vehicle is within the Powertrain Warranty Extension Period (8 year/125,000 miles, whichever occurs first), you will be provided an oil consumption warranty repair.
If the Acura oil consumption settlement receives final approval based on the current terms, Honda will self-administer the settlement and as the claims administrator will be responsible for approving or denying owner claims.

The Acura oil consumption class action lawsuit was filed in the Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles: Kojikian et al. v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The plaintiffs are represented by the Margarian Law Firm."

This is from the settlement letter I received in the mail for 2 vehicles. I had an 2009 TL that was totaled over a year ago, and I have a 2013 TL currently. According to the settlement you will have 6 months after it is signed, which it should be signed this month (July 2020), to get the consumption test and repairs completed regardless of your car warranty period as long as you have never had the repair previously completed. You should be able to use this information to get the work done regardless of your purchase date, since they will need to fix it under the gap period.

I'm in the same boat as @dregsfan with a 2013. though. It burns a quart between oil changes, so it's a question of how long before it gets worse. I will say that I am higher in mileage, closer to 12,000/year usage than their vehicle is. I'm trying to think of that as a positive. I find it interesting that my maintenance minder on the 2009 would trigger my oil changes about 6-7K miles apart, but the 2013 seems to trigger them around 5K apart. Also know that HMC will be the administer of the settlement, this is not unusual, and get to approve or deny claims.

bmamm (07-21-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Just a follow up -- I'm about 5 months on my warranty-replaced top end. The car seems to run a little better/smoother and is getting a little better MPG than before. Knock on wood, no oil usage observed, but I haven't been driving it regularly due to WFH. I have driven it only a couple of thousand miles since the warranty work was done. My dealer was excellent -- easy to work with, got the job done quickly and competently. Had to wait on the parts for a few months, like most of us, but that wasn't on the dealer. So far, so good.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Just a follow up -- I'm about 5 months on my warranty-replaced top end. The car seems to run a little better/smoother and is getting a little better MPG than before. Knock on wood, no oil usage observed, but I haven't been driving it regularly due to WFH. I have driven it only a couple of thousand miles since the warranty work was done. My dealer was excellent -- easy to work with, got the job done quickly and competently. Had to wait on the parts for a few months, like most of us, but that wasn't on the dealer. So far, so good.
Carbon build up is inevitable, SO to do your due diligence in preventing it from happening again to that degree switch to Pennzoil ultra platinum. I made the switch from Acur oil roughly 5 thousand miles after my repair and my car still runs like the day I received it back from them. Gas Mileage improved even more as well. It is the strongest cleaning oil on the market and design for high compression engines like ours. And will prevent Carbon from building up to that degree. GIve it a try I'll bet you will notice the difference as well.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Viscidity
Looks like we're back to square one! what's the next step boys?
Here is what I believe a simpler fix, because all it is is carbn build up....
1. DO an STP pro series INtake valve Cleaner( 40 bux at autozone)....Its a one man job and SUPER easy.
2. Use SEAFOAM high mileage in the crankcase (in your oil) The bottle says 1oz. per quart of oil. Drive it for at LEAST 100 miles I usually run mine about 300 miles. Then change your oil.
3. Instead of Acura oil use Pennzoil ULTRA PLATINUM, not Platinum, but "ULTRA PLATINUM". This oil is the strongest cleaning oil on the market made for high compression engines like ours. Carbon is inevitable, but this oil cleans it out and keeps your engine protected.
4. Just try it. You will be very pleased with the results. Some have repeated the process from step 2. Step 1 should only be done every 3,000 to 5,000 miles at minimum.
Private message me if you have ANY questions comments or concerns. I have done this process myself, on my own car with fantastic results as well as friends cars with fantastic results.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I got a call from the dealership on past Saturday that the parts are finally in. I will drop mine off and hope the inspection prior to doing the full replacement proves damage, thus, causing piston slaps and oil consumption. I bought the car in 2014 after being leased 2 years prior to. Even then when I took it home and checked the oil, it was a full quart low and TL had like only 20 000 miles. So the oil consumption has been going on when the engine was relatively new which is a shame. I have been keeping my oil level checked every 7-800 miles and it was getting worse towards the end of OCI. The service advisor said Acura hasn't denied a single case from his dealership (they did over 100 oil consumption jobs) yet for oil consumption warranty work. Crossing my fingers.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:51 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Drove TL for a week after the repair and it runs smooth and quietly. No more rattles and groans anymore where engine lost power when going up slight incline at low speed. The dealer also found $1500 worth of other "issues" and wanted to see if I wanted to repair them done at the same time since the engine was already opened up. I only opted for leaking hydraulic timing belt tensioner at cost for part only and no labour. Other issues they found allegedly, I will take it to my Honda independent mechanic. I noticed that they used dino oil when changing the oil during the job. Wonder why.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
L consumption

Originally Posted by james21_h
I have been reading lots of people here are having the same issue that you are having so you are not alone. Did your car start consuming oil since new?
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Mine is has 31,000 miles and so far it only consumes half quart every 4000 miles. That half quart usually happens on the last 1000 miles before I do my oil change (every 4000 miles or when MID reads 50%) and I have been using Mobile 1 5-20. This last oil change I used Castro Edge Premium and so far no oil consumption after 1300 miles... Knock on wood!!!
Good luck and do not give up! I would definitely join you if mine crap out... finger crossed...
they did mytmy oil consumption but it ruined my catalytic converters can any tell me how to pursue Acura to fix it.
obeejr67 (03-01-2022)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

The dealer would not do my test in July of 2019 due to a weeping oil pump o-ring. Of course for a decent amount of money they would fix it and be happy to perform the oil consumption test. With respect to the class action lawsuit is the window going to open up again to have the test done? And is that a legit thing on their part to deny doing the test because of a faulty part on another part of the engine?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura is robbing us

Originally Posted by badbart
Question- and this is a fairly basic one for this thread, but this thing is such a beast now it is hard to find actual details on the issue in here.

What constitutes "excessive oil consumption"? How would I know if I need to have the diagnostics run? When the oil change light come on, where on the dip stick does "excessive" usually land for instance? At the "Add" line, or below? Anything under the top of the full hash marks?

How many cars is this impacting/what are my chances of being just fine?

I have to drive 2hrs to my nearest dealership, so I don't know if this is something I need to get checked out. I had an Accord with a similar issue with the rings and I rebuilt that one out of pocket... don't ever want to go there again. I purposely bought a Honda product WITHOUT VCM to hopefully avoid this issue, but apparently Honda forgot how to make engine rings or something.
I did the oil consumption test, I was burning two quarts of oil every thousand miles. Now your not supposed to have any oil leaks from anywhere. Although my undercarriage was dry they told me I needed my oil pump resealed after my car was in pieces, wanted a total of 800 dollars I agreed and on the day I went to pick it up I told them that I will be calling Acura to let them know what there doing and they drop it to 289$ smh.now I have two bad catalytic converters from burning all that oil so now I'm thinking about suing them, rebuilt my engine with 200,000 miles and they gave me a new car for a month and that's were they come up with the dum excuses how do they know if it's a o ring without opening it up .it sucks but try another dealer
Old 10-07-2020, 12:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bonz
The dealer would not do my test in July of 2019 due to a weeping oil pump o-ring. Of course for a decent amount of money they would fix it and be happy to perform the oil consumption test. With respect to the class action lawsuit is the window going to open up again to have the test done? And is that a legit thing on their part to deny doing the test because of a faulty part on another part of the engine?
new dealer or file a claim with Acura.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Found a 2009 awd with 50k miles that is miiint. All services done at Acura. Should I be worried? Has anyone NOT had the oil problem? Would Acura point this out to the owner if he didn’t ask? I test drove it and it was absolutely incredible to drive. Does anyone still love theirs? It makes me sad, as it was one of the nicest cars I’ve driven. Would it still fall under the warrantee extension? So many questions, apologies.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltyj
Found a 2009 awd with 50k miles that is miiint. All services done at Acura. Should I be worried? Has anyone NOT had the oil problem? Would Acura point this out to the owner if he didn’t ask? I test drove it and it was absolutely incredible to drive. Does anyone still love theirs? It makes me sad, as it was one of the nicest cars I’ve driven. Would it still fall under the warrantee extension? So many questions, apologies.
I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD and it does not have excessive oil consumption. I watch the oil level and it needs 1 -2 qts. between oil changes (~over 8,000 miles).
Saltyj (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RenoTL
I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD and it does not have excessive oil consumption. I watch the oil level and it needs 1 -2 qts. between oil changes (~over 8,000 miles).
Thanks. How many total miles does it have?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

So let's say I get this 2009 with 50k miles: is it too late for the engine rebuild?
Old 12-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoTL
FYI it is excessive, and with 8k OCI it will increase even more...
Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltyj
Thanks. How many total miles does it have?
My 2010 TL has about 135,000 miles on it. 100,000 of those are mine. I've had the car since early 2013.

Quick Reply: Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption