None of the above, keep working on it.
8.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

4G TL RonJon 6-piece Splitter kit ** updated design, pg. 3 **

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm feeling "A" myself ... captures the "quirky" lines of the rest of the car, especially as captured by the grill. "B" has too much of an ice scraper appearance to it, and "C" is just to blocky, and doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the lines of the car.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
rondy lemme tell u something....

your a motherfucking genius man !!!! honestly....dont get me wrong 4G TLer's, as much as i love the interior of the 4G TL....i hate the happy feet look on the car....the big grin upfront is such a turn off of unimaginable magnitude !!!!

rondy if you make this car look sexy, i might just buy this car.....i think you did a great job of eliminating the front "grin" grill....and adding aggressive look by adding body kit (body kit A looks the most aggressive)....not really feeling the rear but i bet you will make that look great as well....

also any plans of doing something to the rear piece of plastic thats smiling it way to glory ???
Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks NiCE!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

i think concept A is the best

kinda reminds me of a audi look
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Here is a head on view showing the Acura front spoiler.

It shows the deep cutout that I mentioned, and you can see the OEM spoiler (air guide, really) under the nose of the car, inboard.

If you go out and look at your own cars carefully, you can only suppose that it's guiding air in a way that interacts with the dissipator and the plastic panels covering the motor.

I'm only showing this because I'd suggest that any aftermarket kit emulate the factory cutout unless the manufacturer has the engineering wherewithal to be sure that a new design improves how this works instead of detracting from how this works.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
The TL is only one car, there are many other similar cars with comepletely different front end lips.

I'll venture to say the cutout on this TL kit is to avoid scrapage rather than funnel air as a primary reason, and even so, this is not F1 Racing, this is a daily driver, the overall shape of the car will be more of value to aerodynamics than one piece in the front. On top of that, we won't be making a crazy design for the front, it will be aerodynamic.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Grandpa

Well, you'll certainly know more about it than I would. :-)

It's just such an obvious thing that I was motivated to persist.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
B is da BEST
C is the WORSTE
A is OK
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
what do you guys think about this design:

Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

much better
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
A or B
Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog

I like it better than the original C concept. The front lip looks alot better. But I'm not real keen on the side skirt, mainly the front section angle. Although I like the back section angle as it seems to flow with the existing lines.

Have to admit I'm still partial to design A, but this new concept is a close second to B, my second choice.

All in all, some nice design work though!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C2 is 100% better...
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I like this second design of C. Truth be told, I'm going to like any lip kit design because I like the variety. I hope that RonJon continues to represent with designs like this!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Advanced

C #2!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 AM
ieh
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New concept C looks better than the old concept C, but I don't like the side of the front lip...looks really alike the stock lip....
New side skirt are...ok. Maybe will look good mix with Concept A.

I still like the CONCEPT A design way more.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 AM
ieh
Instructor

When will be the voting end?
Is this voting are just for fun and the result won't same as we voted???
Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 AM
ieh
Instructor

Only the Concept A don't have the RJ grille install...this is not fair...(although Concept A still won all the votes...haha)
So maybe put a RJ grille to the Concept A will get all the votes~lol
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I voted None, only becasue I don't like C sides, and A and B seem to add even more dramatic edges in the front lip to a car that I feel already has too many disjointed edges to begine with.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by KeithL
I voted None, only becasue I don't like C sides, and A and B seem to add even more dramatic edges in the front lip to a car that I feel already has too many disjointed edges to begine with.
LOL.... Just how does one complement the lines of a car that was deliberately designed to be so unusual?

:-)
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Grandpa

At the front it looks like you took a hint from the OEM design, and then added a deeper cut at the sides that might have the overall effect of producing the same kind of aim that those aerofoil wings have that we're not allowed to put on the front of our Honda Challenge cars.

I think that this complements the car a little better than the other front spoiler designs, but there's still something wrong at the centre of it.

I swear, I think that if I were you, I would consider investigating whether I'd get away with directly reproducing the OEM front spoiler, with the exception perhaps of keeping the deeper cuts you've put just outboard of the fog lights.

As somebody else has already said about the new side pieces, the part at the front edge of the front door is just a bit odd. If it's being produced in a way to emulate the effect of the front splash guards, maybe that makes sense but perhaps it should flow more smoothly into the rest of the side piece so that a user who's already wondering about the unconventional lines of the 4G TL won't be put further off by this unusual design.

I dunno...it's a gamble whether you'd sell more of them to people who are out to have an unusual looking car, or sell fewer of them to people who don't want their cars to look any more unusual than they already do.

But what the hell do I know. :-)
Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
LOL.... Just how does one complement the lines of a car that was deliberately designed to be so unusual?

:-)
I know. This car just lacks a flowing design so adding adges to an already edgy car IMO makes it way complicated looking. I know Acura did this by design, and I am the last person to ask abotu styling and lips on this car as I bought this AWD 4G 90% for how it rides and handles, 9% for the sound system and maybe 1% for it's looks. I love driving this car, still does nto impress me looking at it, especially liek my 3G Type-S did. I do think the RJ grill makes a huge differnce in the look of the car.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Hey Ron, will this lip kit lower the car so much that there will be no need for coilovers or lowering springs?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Colorado Springs

I'll answer this for Ron if he doesn't mind...

Although a lip kit will physically bring the edges of your car closer to the ground, that's not the point of lowering springs/coilovers.

Their purpose is to elimintate ugly wheel gap between the visible edge of the tire and the visible edge of the fender. The more compact look it has, generally, the smoother, sleeker, sexier look it gives off. Most people wouldn't sacrifice getting their ride lower to the ground while still having huge wheel gaps because they'd scrape it for nothing, haha!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i like the best! i would vote, but i am not in the market so no need. but i think this is the best one of the lot. i still feel like the sides need to do something different. not exactly like the 3G sides, but i want to say they need something that makes them look "wider" or more flared or something...the wheels look hot on it though.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The new concept not in the poll would get my vote.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I'll answer this for Ron if he doesn't mind...

Although a lip kit will physically bring the edges of your car closer to the ground, that's not the point of lowering springs/coilovers.

Their purpose is to elimintate ugly wheel gap between the visible edge of the tire and the visible edge of the fender. The more compact look it has, generally, the smoother, sleeker, sexier look it gives off. Most people wouldn't sacrifice getting their ride lower to the ground while still having huge wheel gaps because they'd scrape it for nothing, haha!
Well that sure answers my question. Does it give any performance gains since we're here. I'm sure it's been answered before, but maybe some others might want to know as well and can find it right here!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Colorado Springs

Short answer: In the real world with real world driving in regular traffic, the answer is that coilovers or lowering your car does not give the average person any noticable performance gain.

Long answer: But if you use the coilovers to their true potential and take turns way above the speedlimits (I'm talking more than double the speedlimit) or if you track the car on the weekends, you will probably find a performance benefit. The benefit is that the car will usually have must flatter cornering characteristics. Take the wheel off of a stock spring/damper setup and observe the spring. You'll notice that the spring is narrow and more tightly wound around the ends but the middle get further apart and wider. This is called a progressive spring. It gives the car the ability to absorb holes in the rode that would normally jolt the car around. However, around quick corners, the progressive spring fails because it compresses only a certain amount so much before compressing to the point where it's hard to predict movement.

A linear spring, like those on coilovers, have a spring rate that is more consistent, but do not absorb small bumps as easily because they have the same absorbtion rates for every bump, big or small. You're going to feel every bump according to how large it is. Cornering is very easy to judge and you'll never turn in and then halfway through, the nose of the car and/or rear wheels won't start to break away or bob the car in an unpredictable way.

Another small characteristic of lowering a car is to lower the entire body closer to the ground for decreased wind resistance, which would help fuel mileage. Take a look at NASCAR cars and ones that go to the bonneville salt flats, they have a lowered suspension and air dams in the front for reasons of cutting down on wind resistance of everything on the underbody including the tires which are the most underappreciated factors concerning a cars wind resistance. In another post I described how wind resistance helped my car achieve mileage fluctions of 29mpg with the wind and 23mpg against the win. Both going the same speed and both going on the same highway.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Grandpa

Long answer:
I wondered who'd have the moxy for that. :-)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Colorado Springs

I'm on a work computer right now, so I can't view these images, but yet I believe I know what they are showing. This should give you a very good impression of what a "stock" spring and damper looks like over what a coilover looks like. Although it is an EVO X, it still applies to what ours generally looks like.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Am I thread jacking?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
C looks hot but A's got my vote - more of a cleaner look.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A for me!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
RonJon,

I like the new concept for C.

Will this scrape majorly if an Eibach prokit was installed?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Short answer: In the real world with real world driving in regular traffic, the answer is that coilovers or lowering your car does not give the average person any noticable performance gain.

Long answer: But if you use the coilovers to their true potential and take turns way above the speedlimits (I'm talking more than double the speedlimit) or if you track the car on the weekends, you will probably find a performance benefit. The benefit is that the car will usually have must flatter cornering characteristics. Take the wheel off of a stock spring/damper setup and observe the spring. You'll notice that the spring is narrow and more tightly wound around the ends but the middle get further apart and wider. This is called a progressive spring. It gives the car the ability to absorb holes in the rode that would normally jolt the car around. However, around quick corners, the progressive spring fails because it compresses only a certain amount so much before compressing to the point where it's hard to predict movement.

A linear spring, like those on coilovers, have a spring rate that is more consistent, but do not absorb small bumps as easily because they have the same absorbtion rates for every bump, big or small. You're going to feel every bump according to how large it is. Cornering is very easy to judge and you'll never turn in and then halfway through, the nose of the car and/or rear wheels won't start to break away or bob the car in an unpredictable way.

Another small characteristic of lowering a car is to lower the entire body closer to the ground for decreased wind resistance, which would help fuel mileage. Take a look at NASCAR cars and ones that go to the bonneville salt flats, they have a lowered suspension and air dams in the front for reasons of cutting down on wind resistance of everything on the underbody including the tires which are the most underappreciated factors concerning a cars wind resistance. In another post I described how wind resistance helped my car achieve mileage fluctions of 29mpg with the wind and 23mpg against the win. Both going the same speed and both going on the same highway.
Awesome thread jacking there Dash and awesome explanation =) Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ron,

While C2 is a great improvement over the original, you have to ask yourself what your target audience would want.

IMO, I'd rather spend money on a nice kit I can keep for the life of the vehicle and something I won't get tired of. While the C version looks hot to start, it will cool down just as fast due to the complex angles and lines that do not flow well with the original characteristics of the vehicle. After all, a lip kit should accentuate the original vehicle, not make it something it is not.

The rear side on version C is similar to the 3g rear that I'd rather not see repeated. I'd classify both C versions as borderline ricey. Rice gets old fast.

A or B variants are your best bet for a clean, timeless look.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/DUKELA%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]I also think A looks best. But, imo, i think it would look even better if the middle of the front lip didn't have that additional piece sticking up (the flap)
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S2000 Aero

NSX Aero

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MADE IN JAPAN HONDA CARS TUNER AEROS 2009/01/17 MY PHOTOS AUTOSALON.

4G TL RonJon Aero-Kit Concepts,のAero制作を頑張って下さい。
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
A-has my vote for sure.
B-looks like there is a dust pan in front of the car.
C-looks way to thick and boxy.Can you say battering ram!!
C2-looks better, but the side skirts are still too thick

I would still keep working on it though. Some very good concepts.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
The last picture/concept you posted on the 1st page is a winner

Quick Reply: 4G TL RonJon 6-piece Splitter kit ** updated design, pg. 3 **