3G TL Owners GO AWAY

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
3G TL Owners GO AWAY

Seriously, unless you have something constructive to say. I'm trying to read through threads for information, but 80% is just filled with immature childish comments about how 'ugly' the car is and how they think it is a 'failure' and 'worst car' by acura. It servers no purpose and makes this forum worse. People are not going to want to come here, especially the audience that a 4G TL will sell to. Moderators need to get a grip on this. Disagree with me? PM me. I'm sure this thread will get locked.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
Seriously, unless you have something constructive to say. I'm trying to read through threads for information, but 80% is just filled with immature childish comments about how 'ugly' the car is and how they think it is a 'failure' and 'worst car' by acura. It servers no purpose and makes this forum worse. People are not going to want to come here, especially the audience that a 4G TL will sell to. Moderators need to get a grip on this. Disagree with me? PM me. I'm sure this thread will get locked.
I do like the 09 TL. I dont think it looks that bad. Just like anything new you have to take time to adjust to it. Then sooner or later you love it I haven't driven in one yet though lol

Last edited by Kev16; 09-29-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I disagree. I want to hear the negative and postive when I research a car. All you need to do it test drive and make your OWN decision, and then you can tell everyone how great and beautiful it is
Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

I said "unless constructive". I do not mind educated opinions about a car. But go through some of these threads and you will see pointless comments. We all know people don't like the grill, it doesn't have to be stated in every single thread.

I for one am a 2G CL owner who thought this was a poor design by Acura. I stopped in at the dealership, looked at it good and long, sat in it, and I think this thing is going to sell like hotcakes.

I'm just looking through threads for informative information, not "wow that beak is horrible, ugly design, acura dropped the ball".
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I 'am an owner of 07 RDX love the car as a frequest visitor to the RDX forum I figured I check out the TL forum to get information for a bud who is looking for some insight on the new 09 TL so I gave him the link to this forum.

I spoke with him today he did mention that he did get tired of reading the same thing threat after thread after thread with regards to the front grill, how ugly it was etc. So I guess what I'am saying is the poster is right how many of the same threads can one forum have.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Over time the gille thingy will cease. I understand why people are upset over the grille. The last generation Acura, stirred the emotion, whether it was , TtSX, TL or RL. I owned or leased all 3. The new ones are just polarizing. Acura disappointed a lot of us and I guess this forum in the only place to vent. I love the Acura brand, and I hope the next version, they will get right.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've liked[ish] it from the get go! I was unsure of the front / rear at first but i'd buy one if I had the cash
Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
though I agree with the OP's thoughts, I think narrowing it down to just us 3G owners is pushing it. I may not like the 4G but implying only 3G TL owners are the ones that feel this way about the 4G TL is not the best way to go.

truth be told, yes the 4G is better in a lot of respects than the 3G. it should be, its a new model.

but for all sakes and purposes, the design is a hit or miss. for me it's a miss. i wouldnt want to put 40K on a car that looks like that because at the end of the day, you still have to look at what you drive, and so do other people.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
It's an online car forum where people have opinions. Those opinions will vary. If you disagree with the opinions, feel free to engage in a civil debate. As long as posters don't violate the rules for posting here, I don't see the problem but that's just me.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
WOW! chill out, it's just an online forum, don't let it get you that worked up.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with CleanCL,

I liked the 4g TL since I first saw it. Now i am kind of frustrated after reading everyday how ugly the car is. But I understand, everyone has their own opinion.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the OP, because I'm tired as well to read the same foolish comments repeatedly. If you don't like the 4th Gen TL, great, we got your opinion. But some folks make multiple posts to several threads, saying the same shit constantly. The thing that kills me the most are these wannabe comedians who post ignorant ass comments. It's one thing to say you don't like the car, grill, performance, etc. But to go out of your way to post silly ass pictures of what the TL reminds you of is very immature; you're NOT funny! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I have no problem with people expressing theirs. But there are some folks out there that are purposely looking to spew venom towards the car, and I can't understand why. If you don't like it, there was a thread created for you to voice your displeasures with the car, and whether you like the exterior/interior design. So why are people going from thread to thread saying the same shit over and over is beyond me. And can some of you expand your vocabulary and use another word besides "Hideous"? It took one person to use that word, and now it's the catch phrase to describe the grill. And I know that word is probably not part of your diction, so stop dick riding. If you can't come up with something else, try using a thesaurus please!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Shift_faster

Here's a 3G TL owner that agrees with you. Yes, the "ugly" posts do get tiring. Especially because I'm trying to read up on information about the 4G TL, when the threads get cluttered with banter about "it's ugly" and "no, its not", etc. etc.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a 3g owner that doesn't agree...

If you want a thread that has constructive criticism then creat one. You complain about 3gers bitchin about the 4g TL and then make a thread bitchen about the bitchers.
I like this forum and refuse to be sensored by anyone who disagree's with what I have to say that is 'on topic'.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwest1023
Over time the gille thingy will cease. I understand why people are upset over the grille.
The grill is polarizing & here to stay .... So its is just a difference of opinions between early adopters and followers. By 2012 everyone will have overlooked the grill and focused on how good the 4G TL .
Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, maybe it's not JUST 3G TL owners, but that's the majority. Yes I created my own thread about the topic. I didn't go into someones thread who is describing their test drive, and complain about the useless posts by the same handful of people in every thread who want to voice how badly they dislike the car.

Seriously, if I went into the 3G TL section and complained about the 3G TL in every thread, I bet I would get laughed off the boards.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
im a 3G owner. i saw the pics and was VERY dissapointed in the exterior(im in love with the interior of the new acuras)

BUT. i saw one the other day when i was gettin new brakes,and i have to say,its a very nice over-all car..EXCEPT the size of the grille,and the exhaust cutouts on the bumper + exhaust tips,and im still having a hard time liking the pointy trunk,but its alot nicer than i thought before. i cant wait to see the SH-AWD version now.

this was definatly a loss in the sports sedan side,its more like a lexus GS and if i were to get into a non sporty sedan this would def be one of my options on the list. this car calls mostly for a subtle body kit and some nice 20's and just to be cruised around,definatly good for my family.

edit: so i think there are plenty of pros and few cons, nothing really to gripe about,u can always put a custom grille on the car,which im sure will be out eventually.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
I like this forum and refuse to be sensored by anyone who disagree's with what I have to say that is 'on topic'.
That's the key point. "On topic". I agree with you - no one should be censored, but people should show some restraint on their off-topic "its ugly" comments. For example, in a thread discussing the upcoming 6MT 2010 TL - I must have read that comment a dozen times.

It is not on-topic. No one was discussing the ugliness of the car in a thread that was dedicated to the MT TL. Such comments just clutter the useful information in a particular thread.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Ak Ting Up

Ok, maybe it's not JUST 3G TL owners, but that's the majority. Yes I created my own thread about the topic. I didn't go into someones thread who is describing their test drive, and complain about the useless posts by the same handful of people in every thread who want to voice how badly they dislike the car.

Seriously, if I went into the 3G TL section and complained about the 3G TL in every thread, I bet I would get laughed off the boards.
You are correct, and those that dogged the 3g got so nasty that allot of threads were locked, it seems to be the natural order.

The 3g was dogged with repeated posts about rattles, transmission replacements, manual transmission failures, bumper paint mismatches, 'its front wheel drive so its not a performer', etc.
I see this as no different. If the 4g proves to be a great car, then all that stuff will go away.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Ak Ting Up

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
That's the key point. "On topic". I agree with you - no one should be censored, but people should show some restraint on their off-topic "its ugly" comments. For example, in a thread discussing the upcoming 6MT 2010 TL - I must have read that comment a dozen times.

It is not on-topic. No one was discussing the ugliness of the car in a thread that was dedicated to the MT TL. Such comments just clutter the useful information in a particular thread.
The off topic stuff can be usefull, for example, when I told my Acura salesperson that the 6MT SH-AWD won't be out till 2010, she said they will have one in the dealership around thanksgiving. Now, thats off topic from this thread topic.
Should the moderators delete all posts that are not on topic ? And I say that knowing that I have made some posts that were not on topic, but I felt my comment contributed to the conversation, and maybe the OP didn't feel my comment contributed.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:36 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
The 3g was dogged with repeated posts about rattles, transmission replacements, manual transmission failures, bumper paint mismatches, 'its front wheel drive so its not a performer', etc.
I see this as no different. If the 4g proves to be a great car, then all that stuff will go away.
I agree...

and the 4G is starting to grow on me...LOVE the interior.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Interior is awesome. From what i see on the commercials...at night, it looks great.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Shift_faster

The off topic stuff can be usefull, for example, when I told my Acura salesperson that the 6MT SH-AWD won't be out till 2010, she said they will have one in the dealership around thanksgiving. Now, thats off topic from this thread topic.
Should the moderators delete all posts that are not on topic ? And I say that knowing that I have made some posts that were not on topic, but I felt my comment contributed to the conversation, and maybe the OP didn't feel my comment contributed.
Yes off-topic stuff can be useful. But when you are discussing the MT TL, how useful is hearing: "I love the TL" or "I hate its grill"? It is irrelevant AND useless.

No moderators shouldn't delete all posts that are not on topic. The forum is free-flowing, but members should resist posting random bits of their opinion just because they can. I liken it to you wishing me a happy birthday, and me responding with the statement, "I love the color blue." I have the right to do so; but it is off-topic and useless.

Just the way I look at things.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yo -

I have two 3rd gen TL's and i gotta tell you i didnt like the new style, until i looked at it in person and test drove it. It has completly changed my mind, would i purchase one if i was in the market for a new car YES! Am i in the market for a new car NO! I'll waite and by then the style shouldnt be an issue.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
3G TL Owners GO AWAY
Aren't we all 3G (or 2G) owners right now? The only one I know of that posts on this site and actually owns a 4G is "PetesTL". If we all go away, who's going to post?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I cant agree with you more. Its the same with the TSX and the RL side of the forums. I used to come on here everyday to see what was new with the Acura folks but now its so dead and wack in here its unbelievable. I actually had to find something else online to do to entertain my time. I think all 3 cars look good. I for one hate to see the 09 RL cause now i know my RL is the "older" model. People just need to get over it even if you dont like the car screaming how ugly it is will only push people away from buying the car and make Acura struggle even more for sales than they already are. Believe it or not we Acura owners have alot to do with whether or not someone will buy an Acura and join the team. No matter how much someone complains about the look of the car it will not change it. Its here to stay.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Agree and some of the responses to your comments validate your point
Old 09-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you don't like it don't click it (or read it).
Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
If you don't like it don't click it (or read it).
Don't worry, we're trying. I don't click threads that talk about styling because it's pointless. However, this post is talking about the needless comments in unrelated (to styling) threads. As the OP said, if I want to discuss the new 6-mt, I want to discuss the 6-mt and not styling.

I think its perfectly reasonable to ask everybody (not just 3G owners) to show some restraint when and where they post their opinion and try to stay on topic. If self moderation does not work, I think the mods should step in to guide folks on proper etiquette (unless the mods don't think staying on topic is important)
Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ggesq
It's an online car forum where people have opinions. Those opinions will vary. If you disagree with the opinions, feel free to engage in a civil debate. As long as posters don't violate the rules for posting here, I don't see the problem but that's just me.
Agree. Deal with it man.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dio
I 'am an owner of 07 RDX love the car as a frequest visitor to the RDX forum I figured I check out the TL forum to get information for a bud who is looking for some insight on the new 09 TL so I gave him the link to this forum.

I spoke with him today he did mention that he did get tired of reading the same thing threat after thread after thread with regards to the front grill, how ugly it was etc. So I guess what I'am saying is the poster is right how many of the same threads can one forum have.
Ever taken a grammar class?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4g got a few things we dont have... (old gen acuras) soooo we are jealous... awd, nice tech pack, nicer interior....
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Stock 07 TL NBP

Originally Posted by Kev16
I do like the 09 TL. I dont think it looks that bad. Just like anything new you have to take time to adjust to it. Then sooner or later you love it I haven't driven in one yet though lol
True it takes time to adjust to the new looks but the new Acura doesn't look bad. I am sure once someone purchases the 4G TL and mods it real nice then everyone will wanna have one. Like most new cars there is always a "?"

There are very few cars that are hot at first glance like the Audi IS5.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
Agree. Deal with it man.
I can see that you and the person you agreed with is not getting the point of what the OP is trying to say. He never said you shouldn't state your opinions on whether you like the car or not. He's just asking to post your opinions in the proper threads/forums, that's all. If a thread is created to talk about the push button start feature, why would you post comments in there talking about how ugly the car is, and how disappointed you are with Acura? That's just stupid. I understand that going off topic sometimes can help give a thread new life and bring different perspectives. But to say that the grill is "hideous" and the car "fugly", when the topic of the thread is the 6 MT SH-AWD, is very ignorant. What does the car being ugly have to do with a discussion about the 6 MT SH-AWD? Nobody wants to talk about how ugly the car is in EVERY SINGLE thread.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Aren't we all 3G (or 2G) owners right now? The only one I know of that posts on this site and actually owns a 4G is "PetesTL". If we all go away, who's going to post?
No, I'm and RL and an RDX owner, thinking about adding a TL, now that it too will have SH-AWD soon. Why am I not buying another RL? UGLY front end.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ah constructive comments...

I have owned a few acuras in my day. I had the 99 redesign, the 01 S, and a recent 3G. I can tell you that while I bought the car for performance, acura brand name and features, that they have fallen short in some areas.

I do not need to run down the list as anyone who has owned the tl understands what they are. Acura started boosting the engine size and performance and most of us expect that they would continue to lead in this area. I have found that the true test of any car is not how well it handles and performs as you drive if off the lot, but how well it is down the road at 40,000 miles. How many times you need to take it back for nagging issues that are a result of design and not a one time thing.

I always liked the model and have seen it get quite a following from people who moved up to a premium class car. I too dislike the redesign and hope that this new model will not have some of the defects associated with new models of the past. If they can pull that off that will be a feat in and of itself. I have not driven the car but respect what most people have to say about it from their experience.

I am disappointed that they cannot offer a 6 speed automatic or manual with the high end model. I drive an AWD car that has one and thought that acura really needed to come through in this area. They also needed to raise the MPG which has stayed the same or dropped for the 3.7 (understandable). A better transmission might improve in this area.

Infiniti was able to do that in 07 where they raise the MPG while increasing horsepower and torque over older models.

What I see are disturbing trends relative to the brand, competition, and market. The price is now into the 40s for the 3.7 and that is an area that allows people to buy a variety of cars including the genesis from Hyundai. People can do their spec sheet racing, comparison, brand recognition, etc. but in the end there are a lot of choices out there where acura used to be the only choice. It's time for them to catch up and fast...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c

I am disappointed that they cannot offer a 6 speed automatic or manual with the high end model. I drive an AWD car that has one and thought that acura really needed to come through in this area.
Actually, come fall 2009, the MT option will be available with SH-AWD.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer

You (and others) are missing the OP's and Poocha's point. How is it useful to anyone when someone states "I just can't get past the beak" in a thread by someone talking about taking delivery of their new car? All the OP is saying is to keep comments in appropriate threads. You (not specifically you Vic) don't need to state that you hate the looks or the grill or whatever in every thread started in the 4G forum. There are threads (and polls) specifically for that.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM
B A N N E D

especially the audience that a 4G TL will sell to.
I was just curious as to what audience you were referring to? After all your saying people say the car looks worse than what it did, and it even costs more that what the 3G TL sold for. So if you ask me, how are they going to have the "audience" when the car is uglier than it ever has been and costs more than it ever has been? Everyone has an opinion to voice. Just like you did in this thread. Don't worry about what other people say or think. It's your money and your car if you buy one.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
4g got a few things we dont have... (old gen acuras) soooo we are jealous... awd, nice tech pack, nicer interior....
Hmmm I am a 3G TL owner and I have a nice tech package and a nice interior as well. The only thing I am jealous about is the push start button. Would love to have it in my 08 Type-S.

Quick Reply: 3G TL Owners GO AWAY