4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just saw the NSX is going to be north of $130K. Looks like a Gen 7 Z06 or ZR1 replacement will be the pick of the 2 seat litter in the low $100K class. Had thought of seriously looking at the NSX but would have a real problem spending $130K on what they have shown so far.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
If it's got a high enough power/weight ratio - including SH-AWD - it could be a real contender for a true drivers car. Sadly I doubt it will come in 6MT...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Word so far is only 400BHP electric & IC combined. It will have to be very very light to be a contender.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just saw the NSX is going to be north of $130K. Looks like a Gen 7 Z06 or ZR1 replacement will be the pick of the 2 seat litter in the low $100K class. Had thought of seriously looking at the NSX but would have a real problem spending $130K on what they have shown so far.
I know we have wandered a bit off-topic by bring up the NSX but the pricing of these the first time around was a bit peculiar. Sure if you compared it with a Ferrari the original one was a bargain. But if you compared it with a Corvette it seemed pointless since the base Corvette was similar in size/styling and blew away the NSX in performance. I believe that even Porsche was less expensive than the NSX or at least not that much more.

If they are going to price the new NSX at $130K, it again seems like a foolish niche. It will appeal to those that need to get the latest and greatest of the moment and I guess there are enough of those types to cover the limited production.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

For me it would be a disapointment. I like the look of the car & the electric + IC power package tied into the SH-AWD.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Acura has big plans for the New York Auto Show next week, notably with the reveal of the replacement for the aging RL. The new vehicle, which will likely be called the RLX, will still make use of a V6, all-wheel drive powertrain, but will rely on electric motors to spin the rear wheels.

Car and Driver reports the system will actually be lighter than the components found on the current RL while still offering torque-vectoring capability. Acura has already gone through the pains of registering the RLX name with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, and the move seems to be part of a larger effort to expunge two-letter names from the company's stable.

With the RL on the way out the door, the TL is the last of the old guard still hanging around, and word has it that model may be on the short list for execution as well. As Car and Driver points out, Acura is also in the process of registering the TLX name.

We have to wonder if the name swapping will do the company any good. From our vantage, it seems like Acura is simply swapping one meaningless moniker for another. Expect to see more details emerge as we get closer to the 2012 New York Auto Show next week, but in the meantime, feel free to peruse the brief press release after the break.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/a...rporate-e-awd/
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

AOLAOL AutosNew CarsTranslogicAutoblogGreenAutoblog International Send FeedbackRSS FeedsAboutAOL
AutoblogAutomobiles^Enthusiast^Auto Shows^Green^

You are here: Auto News > New York > Acura RLX Concept Looks To Kickstart Honda's Premium Brand From The Top
NEW YORK
Acura RLX Concept looks to kickstart Honda's premium brand from the top

By Chris ShunkRSS feed
Posted Apr 4th 2012 2:10PM

Comments9

There is no sugar-coating the fact that the Acura RL has been a dud since Day One. Honda's luxury brand is painfully aware of this fact, especially since next to nobody purchased the pricey sedan. Then again, the RL has suffered the indignity of being outgunned by a lower-priced model from within its own portfolio, so we can see how selling one has been an uphill climb for dealers. But Acura has an all-new luxury flagship waiting in the wings, and it's seen its first light of day as the RLX Concept, which just debuted at the New York Auto Show.

Honda is quick to point out that the sedan will provide large car interior volume in a mid-size package.

Like most other Honda/Acura concepts, the RLX is sure to look much the same in production trim. The concept features a new design direction for the upscale marque, with more understated yet elegant lines that just look more expensive than the outgoing RL. With the exception of the fussy concept car wheels, we think it looks rather crisp, though it is very conservative and has a trunk that reminds us more than a little bit of the BMW 7 Series when viewed in profile. The new front features "Jewel Eye" LED headlamps, but we won't know what those look like until Acura graces us with more than one image. The concept appears to be quite large as well, but Honda is quick to point out that the sedan will provide large car interior volume in a mid-size package.

The RLX concept arrives packing some advanced technology under the hood as well, including an all-new 3.5-liter V6 mated to a seven-speed dual clutch transmission. But the reworked V6 and all-new transmission is just part of the powertrain story. The concept also features an advanced Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system that helps boost overall power to a V8-like 370 horsepower.

The concept features a Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system that boosts power to a V8-like 370 horsepower.

The "hybrid" part of that title includes what Acura is calling a "unique dual electric motor drive unit with a bilateral torque adjustable control system." Basically, it's a through-the-road electric all-wheel-drive setup with torque vectoring on the rear axle. The same Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system first appeared on the NSX concept, and we drove a prototype of the system disguised as a Honda Accord last November. Acura promises fuel economy numbers of at least 30 miles per gallon on the highway and in the city.

The production RLX will also be available sans electric-AWD system, with 310 horsepower coming solely from the 3.5-liter V6. The front-wheel-drive version will feature a plethora of technology that improves handling, including Amplitude Reactive Dampers, a new double-wishbone front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension. It will also weigh in "well under 4,000 pounds," which should help in the handling department.

The production Acura RLX should be available in early 2013. Scroll down to read Acura's official press release and click on the image above to view the RLX concept in high resolution while you wait for our live shots from the show floor.
Show full PR text
News Source: Acura

more pictures on Acura's site:

http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...ra-rlx-concept
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...ut-in-new-york

interesting as to what this might mean for the nxt gen TL or TLX
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI -

Nice vid...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like the way that looks, except for the wheels. I'm seriously going to have to look into the RLX when it comes out because its definitely nice on paper.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
The styling has a lot of 4G TL cues in it. Looks great in black.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The styling has a lot of 4G TL cues in it. Looks great in black.
The more I look at it, the more I see the new Lexus GS in the profile and the rear end. The front is Acura all the way.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
After seeing what they've done (or rather not) here - I'm kind of hoping the world ends in 2012. Yawn.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I've posted on this thread a number of times. As of today, nothing will get me to buy a 2013. I'm trading my Lexus today for a 2012 BMW 550 M-Sport. Now I'll really be able to have some fun on these threads!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I dislike the looks. The side lines have ruined the aggressive stance of the TL. The front grill looks like the bastard child of Honda and Acura.

Drive train sounds great though. Mucho HP, torque vectoring, etc. It will be interesting to see details of the new interior tech when available.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
looks like a luxury sedan to me, love the wheels and headlights - if the price is right and its fun to drive looks like a winner

Last edited by 012TL-GLM; 04-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
i'm assuming the car should be in the 50K-55K range.. anything higher, and this won't be good for the company. maybe 60K for the SH-AWD Hybrid version
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
it seems that Acura is going in the right direction with the brand though.. should be interesting to see that TLX..
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I started this thread a while back. It's been an interesting discussion. Now that I've seen the RLX. Looks like I'm holding out for 2014 TL, which I imagine will be called TLX. The RLX concept looks awesome, I can only imagine what they will do to the ever popular TL line..
Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Looks awesome? Yikes. The RLX is a total yawn fest... And those wheels? Can You say ZDX sales numbers repeat? Yeah, it's that bad.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Looks awesome? Yikes. The RLX is a total yawn fest... And those wheels? Can You say ZDX sales numbers repeat? Yeah, it's that bad.
This is a concept vehicle, and while I think much of this vehicle will be production, I doubt those wheels make it into public view. If they do, I'll be next to you puking.

I love the interior of the RLX and kind of like the front, but that rear looks like a Chevy or something.

Here's to hoping they've saved their best for the 5G, it'll be within my price range, and my 3G can hang on for that long.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the HP in the range topping TL should be at least 350hp, with the following additions:
  • Adaptive Bi-Xenons
  • Multi Adjustment Seats instead of 10-way
  • Remote Start
  • Power Adjustable Steering Column
  • Collision Mitigation Braking
  • Adjustable Suspension and driving modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concept does look Lexus GS like from behind. Which isn't such a bad thing. New lines have to sell for Acura to thrive as a brand. The TLX (or whatever it's called) really has to be a "home run" out the box. Designers should have had plenty of time to figure out what this vehicle should be.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When the new Nissan Maximas have more creature comforts and options than the TL it's time for Honda to step it up against the likes of the new GS and G/Ms.

I don't think I will buy another Acura. Don't get me wrong they are great cars, but unless they come out with a true Type-S with >= options as it's competitors then I'm not really interested. Every time I see 3rd Gen Type-S I still think Honda/Acura was spot on. I don't exactly feel the same way about my Type-SH.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still think my 3G is the best thing going. Sorry Acura, but my next ride will be a Lex or Infiniti. Too bad Lexus can't build something 'fun' to drive! Other than reliability, Honda in general is losing it. Style, features, price, HP (can we get a V8, please?). None of their products has impressed me to spend the $$ on another one. Although the '12 MDX was nice to drive I don't need a 6 seater, gas guzzling mini bus!
Your 4G will never be as sweet as mine! Although the inside is much nicer.

Last edited by 04desertmist; 04-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Been Driving...

Actually the 3G is parked. Been driving my 98 teg the last few weeks. Forgot how much fun one can have in a 5 speed!
Hate 'auto' shift. Oh, and the gas is sooo much cheaper, ha ha!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Going back to the main topic of this thread, and the direction statements made by the Acura/Honda execs:

I get what Mr. Ito is saying. Chasing performance - power or technical - is really getting to be a wasteful game of numbers, none of which apply to what is going to be leading edge in the future: efficiency.

Which, to be clear, doesn't mean econo-car the way it did in the 70's during the temporary but very scary gas crisis.

It means preparing for a future we all know is coming. Where more of what's left of the world's resources are going to have to be shared equitably, globally, to prevent complete chaos and collapse.

There will be 9 billion people on the planet sooner than you can imagine. That alone implies radical change.

It also means that values are going to change. What we see as valuable now - whipping a fraction of a second faster around a corner than the next guy - will be seen as silly, and wasteful.

Whipping around that corner in a way that is fun, and controllable, and magically efficient, however, will be valuable.

We're already seeing this; kids are preferring Fiat 500s, Mini Coopers, even Nissan Leafs (Leaves?), over power cars. American retro muscle cars are still a segment, but Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers this time are more marvelous for how much they can do with how little, rather than for their sheer excess.

Honda has always been quirky. I don't see them as giving up so much as realizing it's a waste of their time to be chasing other companies' dreams and priorities.

They have always had their own, and they've been by comparison understated and innovative without fanfare. In fact they mis-stepped worst the past few years when they started to try to be more visibly wild, with the ZDX, the Beak, the Crosstour; choosing styling flair over substance.

The company has to re-establish its balance. I was amazed for many years, when I first got my Prelude SH in the 90's, at how classic its styling was, how its performance was balanced alongside its economy. The '97 Prelude was the same lesson for Honda, after the useless excesses of the '95 version, as it needs to learn now: grace, elegance, balance, precision over excess and overload and rococo craziness. Form following function, to the extreme, on every front. And function following true necessity, for space, light, clean air, and a light step in a crowded environment. New values, for a radically different future.

The biggest thing Acura has to do is to articulate its own vision, explain clearly and simply what it's after, without chasing anyone else. I think that's what they've stumblingly said so far.

They're not there yet, and the pressure's on; let's hope for the best.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
8th Gear

Honestly im not impressed with the new TL's at all past the 07 Type S. I feel like Acura has completely lost the ability to get people excited to drive their cars again. Now I know that everyone has different opinions but look at the cars they used to make like the nsx, rsx, integra, they have just completely changed their cars do a new direction. The TL used to be the best of both worlds, luxury with performance. When i drive my dads 07 TL i feel like im driving just luxury compared to my 05. I think a more aggressive body design with added performance but still elegant, like they used to be made
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
Try driving the SH-AWD (especially the 6MT); I think it might change your thoughts about TLs being fun to drive.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 04desertmist
Still think my 3G is the best thing going. Sorry Acura, but my next ride will be a Lex or Infiniti. Too bad Lexus can't build something 'fun' to drive! Other than reliability, Honda in general is losing it. Style, features, price, HP (can we get a V8, please?). None of their products has impressed me to spend the $$ on another one. Although the '12 MDX was nice to drive I don't need a 6 seater, gas guzzling mini bus!
Your 4G will never be as sweet as mine! Although the inside is much nicer.
That last sentence made me chuckle. Coming from a 3G, the 4G is in a different league...