2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbr
3x Acura owner here (2G/3G TL, 1G CL).

I have an MB C-300 AWD that will come off lease next summer. What will I replace it with?

I like the 4G TL very much, but not enough to cough up the money. The SH-AWD is a lot of fun, one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, but the firm ride and road noise would eventually wear on me a bit. Even the sport suspension on my MB wears thin on beat up winter roads.

My wife just bought a new Chrysler 300 (fantastic car!) and rather than have two big car payments I've agreed to downscale for my next three-year lease, and then get a better car when I turn that one in.

Leading candidate thus far is the TSX. VW CC is another candidate, I really like the way that drives, but there are some sweet lease deals on the TSX.

So my wish list for the TL would be:

- Downsize to the 3G size (The RL should be upsided and renamed the Legend)
- Get serious about reducing road noise
- Improve MPG (why weren't the engine improvements from the FWD brought to the AWD model?)
- Quit being so stingy with the color options, keep the umber interior and let FWD buyers buy that color, would like to see a red leather option as well
- Improve the quality and durability of the leather (believe it or not I PREFER the leatherette in my MB... looks the same as day 1 and feels as good!)
- Our Chrysler has adaptive cruise. It's a miracle feature, bring it to the TL.

blackbr you're like Diamond Dallas page dude, 3 time, 3 time, 3 time champion, LOL! Nice!

I've heard the noise was reduced greatly along with the ride in the 2012. When I switched from the Yoko's I had to Kumoho's the ride and noise were reduced a good bit in my estimation.

Red leather, man, I'd be all over that! Adaptive cruise control would be a great addition.

Better MPG, ditto.

I figure the size may stay the same interior wise if they didn't make it a little smaller...or perhaps reduce the overhangs a bit.

Colors, yeah, I wish Acura would open up the options a bit, I can understand exclusive colors on certain models though.

Originally Posted by andvari
The size is why I am buying a 2012 TL. Alternatives like the 3 series and the G37 don't work as well for my road trips.

Things that I'd like to see as improvements -

Engine tech. Toyota V6s are now chain drive (no timing belts) 10K oil changes better mileage and regular gas for the same HP.

Fix up the shape of the trunk.

I guess I'm realizing the appeal of a coupe and having owned one 10 years priors to this vehicle still rises to the top for me. Don't get me wrong but a smaller 2 dr coupe version of this baby would be nasty.

Tech wise, yeah they have to step up the game. Coming from an engineering background I can't imagine their R&D department being that far behind. I feel it's more of the suits who are normally the shepherds guiding the cash cow engineers to create or even put what they've developed into the product. However their usually is a tp suit pulling the trigger on what actually goes down.

I'm sure somewhere in a R&D department on someones PC, under a cover in a garage, or stuffed away neatly in a flat filing system are plans and drawing for some wicked designs.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-06-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
blackbr you're like diamond dallas page dude, 3 time, 3 time, 3 time champion, lol! Nice!
BANG!!!!!

As far as the road noise on the TL.... I drove the 2012 FWD and the 2011 AWD back-to-back... there's an obvious difference in ride, but not much difference in road noise. I wish I could have the ride of the FWD in the AWD model, but I suspect there aren't many on this board that would agree with that.

Last edited by blackbr; 12-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by blackbr
BANG!!!!!

As far as the road noise on the TL.... I drove the 2012 FWD and the 2011 AWD back-to-back... there's an obvious difference in ride, but not much difference in road noise. I wish I could have the ride of the FWD in the AWD model, but I suspect there aren't many on this board that would agree with that.

Good one!! LOL!

That's the trade off, usually, with a sportier ride...road noise and stiffer ride.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Good one!! LOL!

That's the trade off, usually, with a sportier ride...road noise and stiffer ride.
+1. People nowaday want it all. "I want Bugatti power but i want it to ride as smooth & quite as a lexus LS but wait i want it to be as small as an M3 but has to be able to still fit 4 passengers oh and i def won't be paying over 30K for it either"
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ wrx? :d
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
+1. People nowaday want it all. "I want Bugatti power but i want it to ride as smooth & quite as a lexus LS but wait i want it to be as small as an M3 but has to be able to still fit 4 passengers oh and i def won't be paying over 30K for it either"
Sounds like a Corolla customer.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
For the 5G TL I'd love to see:

Remote start - New Buicks can be started and have AC/Heater automatically begin running to create preset temp even if you didn't leave the A/C or heater running.

better voice command integration - Google, Apple, and Microsoft all have voice command systems that are way better.

New daytime running lights - The existing ones are hideous!

better color choices - I don't need yellow or anything crazy, but when Mayan Bronze is the only agressive choice....

panoramic roof - why not?

rear sunshade - For the kiddos!

larger trunk - Trunk is deep enough for 4 sets of clubs but not wide enough. Doesn't need an SUV trunk but come on.

Rear Folding Seats - Don't understand why this isn't a feature now?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Devil Dog 21, cool upgrade wishes...there is room for improvement. Ooow how about a voice recognition like on the Enterprise, "Computer, find me a five star restaurant in a 8 mile radius...and make it one that has a nice desert menu, daddy has a sweet tooth tongiht." Car, "There is La Munase it is 3.5 miles from here and they have a bakery on site that has won blue ribbons 3 years straight in the states annual bake off." Me, "Plot the course." Car, "Will I need to make reservations for two?" Me, Negative, daddies on the prowl to night. Computer, "Course plotted, you player you!" *appears on the navigation screen* I can dream damn it! LMAO!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21

Remote start - New Buicks can be started and have AC/Heater automatically begin running to create preset temp even if you didn't leave the A/C or heater running.

better voice command integration - Google, Apple, and Microsoft all have voice command systems that are way better.

better color choices - I don't need yellow or anything crazy, but when Mayan Bronze is the only agressive choice....

larger trunk - Trunk is deep enough for 4 sets of clubs but not wide enough. Doesn't need an SUV trunk but come on.

The other car I was seriously considering along with the TL was the Lexus ES350, especially since there were a couple of very nice looking blue and red color choices. I went to great lengths to seek our the Mayan Bronze that we ended up with!!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd like the front to look a little less "gangsterish".
Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The other car I was seriously considering along with the TL was the Lexus ES350, especially since there were a couple of very nice looking blue and red color choices. I went to great lengths to seek our the Mayan Bronze that we ended up with!!
No doubt that color choices, or lack thereof really is a set back. Why no blue offering? Yellow? or colors that are as polorizing as the look.. a mean orange.. something!! Black, white, red, bronze and a couple of silvers...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
No doubt that color choices, or lack thereof really is a set back. Why no blue offering? Yellow? or colors that are as polorizing as the look.. a mean orange.. something!! Black, white, red, bronze and a couple of silvers...
I talked with a few of the dealers I visited about this and they all said that the black, white, metallic grey/silver were generally sure things in terms of selling but the colors are iffy. The dealer where I bought my Mayan Bronze (Hanson in Santa Rosa) said he had sold several of those over time but the one I bought had sat at 2 other dealers before ending up at Hanson. It was the same thing when we bought our first Acura TL in 2000. The 3 real colors that were offered at the time were metallic green, a pearl blue, and a pearl red. We bought the blue. All 3 of those colors were extremely rare to see over the years that we owned the car. Same when we helped our son buy an Accord Coupe in 2000. Pretty much all you saw was the metallic silver. There was also a nice looking metallic blue but that was as rare as hen's teeth. I don't know what Honda/Acura has against colors.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Advanced

More fundamentally I think the trend is going to be towards updatability of in car software and maybe even hardware. Ford has already started this by issuing a software update for their SYNC platform. If Honda were to get a jump on this it would make their cars more attractive. How cool would it be to be able to plug the latest iCarPad into your dash?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Personally, I like the size change of the 4G over the 3G. I find it just right for a sedan and have plenty of passengers say the same thing.. Making it smaller is not a good ideal, IMO. They already have the TSX for that.
I actually would like it to shrink a bit. I don't mind the 4G's size, but somehow to me, a slightly smaller car seems to be a better fit for where I think the TL should aim. Also, isn't there a rumor the TSX will be discontinued soon?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I actually would like it to shrink a bit. I don't mind the 4G's size, but somehow to me, a slightly smaller car seems to be a better fit for where I think the TL should aim. Also, isn't there a rumor the TSX will be discontinued soon?
I have not heard that about the TSX and I would be very surprised. I'd actually expect it to get upgraded with a DI engine and much better gas mileage. As it is, I think a lot of people like the smaller package and better mileage than the TL.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I have not heard that about the TSX and I would be very surprised. I'd actually expect it to get upgraded with a DI engine and much better gas mileage. As it is, I think a lot of people like the smaller package and better mileage than the TL.
It looks to me like the trend has been for the TSX to move into the niche that the TL started in, then for the TL to be the more refined upscale model to more directly compete with Lexus ES and the like (i.e., take over the current RL position), and for the RL to get bigger and offer features like a lusty V8 that would make it more worthy of its $50k+ price tag.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
The things that pulled me away from Honda/Acura are the things that could also bring me back;
  • Styling in General - I bought my 4G SHAWD TL 2nd hand with about 4,000 miles on it because it was a good value. The interior was great as was the handling but I wouldn't have bought it new. As someone said before, the only other cars that look decnt are the MDX, the RL and the ZDX...but none fit in to my choice for a type of vehicle.
  • Features - On my new K cars, i have heated and ventilated seats, voice recognition, one touch directionals, automatic wipers AND automatic windshield defroster, folding mirrors and I can actually raise my windshield wipers in the winter to keep them from freezing.
I also liked Acura as a choice for reliability over European cars, but I am having no quality issues at all and have a more extensive warranty.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Pro

Yes, those little extra touches like folding mirrors and steering columns that moves out of the way automatically are nice. I was sorely tempted to buy a Genesis by the better horsepower numbers and upscale features compared with the competition but ended up remaining loyal to Acura due to 12 years of flawless ownership experience with our 2000.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Well said bro!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Yes, those little extra touches like folding mirrors and steering columns that moves out of the way automatically are nice. I was sorely tempted to buy a Genesis by the better horsepower numbers and upscale features compared with the competition but ended up remaining loyal to Acura due to 12 years of flawless ownership experience with our 2000.
Yeh, folding mirror is one of the features that should be included in the TL class sedans.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Pro

Although one feature that I really appreciate is the automatic tilt-down on the passenger side mirror when you put the car in reverse. This can end up saving you $100s in avoiding scraping up wheels when parallel parking. I have this feature on my other car as well but it is no way as easy to use as on the TL.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro

I've got nothing against the Mayan Bronze and I think it's a great color that you don't see on the road except in the TL which is awesome. Just saying it'd be nice to have some other options. Even if they were specially ordered rather than stocked at the dealership I'd wait for a couple months to take delivery of a car that isn't the black TL I have now.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by andvari
More fundamentally I think the trend is going to be towards updatability of in car software and maybe even hardware. Ford has already started this by issuing a software update for their SYNC platform. If Honda were to get a jump on this it would make their cars more attractive. How cool would it be to be able to plug the latest iCarPad into your dash?
Completely agree!! Not sure what's so difficult about approaching Apple or Samsung to have an iOS or Android based system installed inside the vehicle. Software based so that it can be advanced in the future, better overall functionality and a standard platform for those iPhone or Android phone users. The first company that jumps on this is going to start really capturing market share!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced

I've got nothing against the Mayan Bronze and I think it's a great color that you don't see on the road except in the TL which is awesome. Just saying it'd be nice to have some other options. Even if they were specially ordered rather than stocked at the dealership I'd wait for a couple months to take delivery of a car that isn't the black TL I have now.
While I am definitely digging the Silver Moon I have I would have loved a nice bright red too.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Completely agree!! Not sure what's so difficult about approaching Apple or Samsung to have an iOS or Android based system installed inside the vehicle. Software based so that it can be advanced in the future, better overall functionality and a standard platform for those iPhone or Android phone users. The first company that jumps on this is going to start really capturing market share!
I think the capability is there now more than we know. I bought a new 2005 Corvette that a year later they had an audio update for. One of the updates was that it allowed the unit to be able to play MP3's which the factory Nav could not do when the unit came out.

BTW, the Ford Synch system has cost Ford a huge drop in customer satisfaction ratings. An awful lot of people don't like it. Ford took BMW's approach and blamed the customers for not knowing how to use it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 AM
10th Gear

Quick Questions Regarding 12-13 TL

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much over the last few months for the help with learning more about owning a TL.

My lease on my 2010 Milan will be coming up in August (trying to get out of it around March, April) and was wondering if the '13 TL will be out by then (4 months) or would it be later?

I have narrowed it down to a Black on Black with Sh-AWD and Tech Package...My first question is that after waiting this long to get out of my Ford Credit lease I would hate getting the '12 if the '13 is around the corner?

My second question is, will they make the Blind Spot Indicator, and Ventilated Seats part of Tech in '13. It seemed like they should have all along. I live in an area of Westchester County NY with a lot of pot holes and therefore don't want the lower profile wheel/tires that the Advance Pack provides. Also I like the look of the Sh-AWD wheels better.

My Third question is: I would like to lease and was wondering if I could get a ball park figure on 36-39Month, 12K Miles, $0 down, and tax in it. How much am I looking at? I am thinking anywheres from $485-550 per month? If someone could let me know if this is within the range that would be great.

Again Thank you everyone.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I think the first company to jump on this was Microsoft with Sync. I'm sure others are waiting to see how this goes. Also, with Samsung's history of updating their phones, I'm not so sure I want one of those in my car. When that sucker glitches or goes out, you're screwed out of a lot of info you're used to. lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I think the first company to jump on this was Microsoft with Sync. I'm sure others are waiting to see how this goes. Also, with Samsung's history of updating their phones, I'm not so sure I want one of those in my car. When that sucker glitches or goes out, you're screwed out of a lot of info you're used to. lol.
Very good point, but if they're just the manufacturer of a stock Androird device it would be Google's updates and Acura's warranty.

I do think that the wireless connection would be an issue as someone has to pay for it. The system would need an offline mode that would function similar to today's nav systems and online mode that would be paid for. I've seen cars with Pandora access so obviously this is possible to work out, but still another hurdle for Honda.

Either way, I won't be buying a new car until I see the next step in tech taken. If it doesn't come any closer to my phone than what's on the market then there's not much benefit. At least give me some calendar syncing love!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Here you go boys....I just go this today....

Acura retools lineup to put the focus on mpg

By: Mark Rechtin, Automotive News on 12/12/2011

Related Articles

Honda will overhaul and reposition its Acura lineup over the next 18 months and abandon its long pursuit of top-tier luxury-car status for the brand.
After years of trying to propel Acura into the front ranks with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus, Honda says it will settle for offering mid-level premium vehicles that favor fuel economy over performance.
With one exception: At the Detroit auto show in January, Honda will bring back the Ferrari-fighting Acura NSX--a new version of the mid-engine supercar that disappeared in 2005 after a 15-year run. But instead of a monster engine, the NSX will have a compact, direct-injection V6 teamed with a lithium ion battery pack.
Another key to recalibrating Acura is the rollout of three new or redesigned sedans in the next 18 months, including a smaller compact and a bigger flagship.
"We are not satisfied with Acura's current positioning," Honda Motor Co. CEO Takanobu Ito said this month at the Tokyo Motor Show. "We want to showcase interesting and fun technologies and show excellent environmental performance."
In the works for Acura:
-- The ILX compact sedan will arrive in spring, using Honda's global Civic platform. It replaces the tired TSX that used the bones of the European Accord.
-- A redesigned RL flagship that is larger than the current version is due next fall.
-- A redesigned mid-sized TL sedan follows in the spring of 2013.
"Our sedans haven't been doing the job for the brand," said Vicki Poponi, American Honda assistant vice president for product planning, at a briefing here for dealers and the media.
Poponi said the TSX, TL and RL were cannibalizing sales because they were too close in footprint and interior size. The new models will create a bigger spread in the lineup.
Changes in the crossover categories also are coming, with a redesigned RDX compact arriving next spring and the next MDX in 2013.
Civic clone?
In using the Civic as the basis for the ILX, Acura is traveling the same platform-sharing course it did with its Integra and RSX coupes in the 1980s and 1990s. But Poponi said the ILX will bear no resemblance to the Civic or the Canadian-market Acura CSX, which has been derided as a rebadged Civic.
"All the suspension settings will be tuned to be Acura," Poponi said. "Consider it as different as the TL is from the Accord or the MDX is from the Pilot."
The ILX will be available with a choice of a 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder engine with automatic transmission, a 2.4-liter engine with a six-speed manual transmission or a 1.5-liter hybrid powertrain. Features will include push-button start, rearview camera, Pandora link and SMS with text-to-voice capability.
Acura hopes that sales of the ILX, to be priced "well below $30,000," will be about 40,000 units annually. The current-generation TSX peaked at 31,998 sales in 2008.
Next up is the flagship RL, which has had little success competing in the $50,000 sedan segment against the likes of the Mercedes-Benz E class, BMW 5 series and Lexus GS. Critics have called it overweight and underpowered, and the interior is cramped.
Poponi said the redesigned version will have more cabin space, with rear legroom going from worst-in-class to the best-in-class.
"It will have [BMW] 7 series cabin space with the agility of a 5 series," Poponi said. "Our sedans need to instill passion and emotion. The new flagship establishes that, and sets the ceiling for premium pricing. Once we have set that, then our SUVs can come into the market and leverage that prestige."
The RL will debut in April at the New York auto show and go on sale next fall.
As for the RDX, the previous generation has been criticized for the jerkiness of its turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The new RDX will have a V6 with "top-class fuel economy," Poponi said.
The RDX also will use the Honda CR-V's simpler electric power steering and all-wheel-drive systems, rather than the pricier Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system of the old RDX. Poponi says it will be "quieter, roomier and more comfortable."
Then there is the NSX that arrives in concept form next month in Detroit. The original V6-powered NSX was decked out with astonishing technology when it debuted in 1990. It was the first car without turbos to deliver 100 hp per liter of engine displacement. It also was the first major project for body engineer Takanobu Ito, now Honda's CEO.
Ito killed a previous NSX concept after the autumn 2008 Lehman Brothers meltdown destroyed Honda's desire to re-enter the segment. The project has been revived, but Ito has changed the concept.
"Our approach is efficiency and a strong power-to-weight ratio," said Acura sales boss Jeff Conrad. "The original NSX did this. But the proposed successor went into the classic world of a heavy vehicle, requiring a V10 engine and other technologies to be a performance car."
Conrad adds: "That is not Acura DNA. If we are thinking about being sporty, we need to do it with the machine's efficiency. That's the thing we can do. The way we achieve it will be unique to Acura."
In addition to the NSX's compact V6, the lithium ion battery-powered Sport Hybrid All-Wheel Drive system uses two integrated drive units at the rear wheels connected to a motor-generator that delivers power.
Regenerative brakes will capture electricity and deliver torque to the outside wheel--while absorbing negative torque from the inside wheel--as the car goes through a corner.
American Honda President Tetsuo Iwamura did not set a date for the NSX's launch, saying: "We hope within three years. ... As soon as possible."
Too much machine
Despite the NSX's go-fast ambitions, a major part of Acura's new philosophy will be dialing back on performance in exchange for fuel economy. Executives say that today's luxury cars have more power than they need, and that premium-vehicle buyers now care more about mpg than mph.
Conrad said Acura has returned to its original philosophy of elegant engineering and top-of-class fuel economy, and has stopped chasing the elite of the luxury segment. The new slogan: "Smart luxury."
Mike Accavitti, the former head of Dodge who became American Honda's vice president of marketing in August, describes the current luxury market as "too much machine and not enough humanity."
Said Accavitti: "Our overweight bodies require overweight engines and more safety systems to protect them. Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process."
Poponi said of Acura's previous batch of products: "Our engineering ego was getting in the way."
Peaks and valleys
American Honda hopes this philosophy can stabilize Acura's sales, which have peaked twice--once in the early 1990s and again in setting a brand record in 2005, at 209,610 units. But each time things fell apart because of ill-conceived products and faulty marketing--not to mention the recent recession. This year, sales through November were down 7 percent to 110,170. Honda says short supplies caused by the March earthquake in Japan were a factor.
For a new crop of customers, Honda is looking at Generation Y. The leading edge of that generation is turning 30, and Honda says the generation's top priorities are exterior styling, price and environmental friendliness.
"A good sound system" finished fifth in its research, and less than 20 percent care about high performance, Honda says.
"Technology is only as good as the driver," said Gary Evert, division director for advanced automotive planning at Acura r&d. "The vehicle almost always has more capability than the driver can handle. Anything outside the customer's understanding is waste."
The following users liked this post:
Ant$ (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

dumbing down to the lowest common denominator?!? Gotta love that.. less power, more MPG... mmm-kay.. looks like my future cars will not be Acuras if this is the direction they want to go... dumb dumb dumb
Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The wording is very questionable, I didn't get that they were abandoning a full "top tier" status for the brand, if anything it looks like they will be taking it more seriously. A real flagship sedan and sports car, a new sub entry model, a hybrid drivetrain that provides V8 performance with 4 cyl fuel economy, real sedan differentiation, likely meaning the TL and RL will move more upscale which will trickle over to the SUV's, etc, etc. As usual, if there's no V8 and RWD, not matter what they do, there will always be some that will never consider them a legitimate contender.

I also don't necessarily see performance suffering as a result of the new mpg goals, from where it is already. I take it as Acura focusing more of the resources into the vehicle's fuel economy over it's acceleration going forward. Could be wrong but I don't take it as that meaning the next TL will necessarily be slower than the current one.

Although a bit prematue, it appears some cars will actually be faster, in some instances, despite a real focus on improved mpg, and on the other hand, some of the lower models and trims which are not really performance oriented anyway, might see a small hit in peformance and acceleration, appropriately.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-12-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the 2013 TL will have a direct injected 300 HP 3.5 V6. PLUS two 30 HP electric motors, one on each rear wheel. That is 360 horsepower. a lighter engine and lighter SH-AWD system. they using lighter metal alloys and lower friction components. the electric motors will provide instant torqure from standstill. they can drag on the inside wheel and send power to the outside rear wheel.

I'm pretty sure the 2013 TL will be F@Cking awesome. it will be lighter. more powerful, more nimble in the corners.

performance, design, and mpg. Acura.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
dumbing down to the lowest common denominator?!? Gotta love that.. less power, more MPG... mmm-kay.. looks like my future cars will not be Acuras if this is the direction they want to go... dumb dumb dumb
When I read the first sentence in the article, the first word to pop into my head was 'Buick'.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Mileage requirements are the 3000 pound gorilla in the room.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/bu...pagewanted=all
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
The wording is very questionable, I didn't get that they were abandoning a full "top tier" status for the brand, .....

So you find this ambiguous?

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Honda will overhaul and reposition its Acura lineup over the next 18 months and abandon its long pursuit of top-tier luxury-car status for the brand.

The following users liked this post:
cp3117 (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More choices for those who want a MT

How about Basque red as an option for the 6MT and the ability to get in in all flavors not just the Tech package!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Very dumb...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad they are seeing that they need a more focused and passionate plan. But I hope they don't err too much on the side of efficiency versus performance. I read at least three car magazines a month, and for quite a while now they are full of cars with hybrid technology and cars that are very small and based upon European cars that are designed for countries with very narrow roads, limited parking and $7 gas.

But the reality is that here in America, what is selling is still very large and thirsty vehicles. It won't due any good to spend umpteen billion dollars on cars the people don't want. And they won't want them until we have $5 a gallon gasoline.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm really not sure why many of you are so pestimistic when it comes to MPGs. Virtually every car maker is reducing weight, finding ways to conserve energy, and increasing MPGs. Car companies are doing all this while increasing horsepower and torque.

I'm pretty confident you are going to see a redesigned TL with better styling, performance both MPGs and 0-60. I'm also sure you maybe seeing many of those options available in BMW & Benz and other up scale car companies many you had mentioned in this thread.

Have a little faith, Acura knows they need to hit the market with a winner this next time around.

If I were buying a new car, I would be waiting for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hamma Tyme:
cp3117 (12-12-2011), Litt (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
So you find this ambiguous?
Not in itself, no. The thing is the way the author chooses to word it, as if Acura decided to abandon a top tier movement all of a sudden with the recent annoucement of it's new direction and tech but that has already been the case for some time now. This is not news.

It also might allow one to think that it still isn't moving in that direction simply because that's the opinion of the author or the choice of wording, as there is no real definition of how "top tier" is being interpreted here.

It's when you read into it that you find very valid arguments that it is still moving in an upward tier movement as I described previously. It's just contradictory to say that Acura is now abandoning a top tier movement while still heading in that direction more now than before, more than ever even. Did you not see that as what I meant or that it is a bit contradictory?

Quick Reply: 2013 TL??? What's going to make you want to buy it?