Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 TL Coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
And they never made this announcement. It was to dealers only. I shouldn't have said anything.
Didn't Honda's CEO recently announce they they'll be focusing on fuel efficiency and will not be introducing a RWD platform because that's what everyone else is doing?

How was Mendel's message any different? Not that you can get into it anyway.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Didn't Honda's CEO recently announce they they'll be focusing on fuel efficiency and will not be introducing a RWD platform because that's what everyone else is doing?
I don't remember. Wasn't that two different press conferences with two different CEOs?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by venom550pm
Don't like it, way too big to be a 2 door. Those doors would way a ton.

I would take anything from Acura at this point in terms of a two door but I somewhat agree.
To the point above about the tranny I too was disappointed with the rerelease of the 5 speed tranny, I mean c'mon this new TL was supposed to be special and the tranny alone was a big minus as many companies have had 6 speeds for years. AWD was a nice touch but it still needs a bit more hp, 300 is not enough.
I just bought a 2008 Audi A4 convertible, not all of the technology of the TL but some key differences with the turbo 4, quality brakes and a 6 speed for starters.
The other big thing is the changes in design as BMW and Audi make small, subtle and tasteful changes, even Infiniti and Lexus kept with similar designs in the IS and GS to keep with the formula of the cars original success.
This is where I think Acura has gone wrong, changes have been too drastic and they no longer seem to have the vehicles that are going to appeal to masses, a specialty coupe or convertible could help remedy that.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haelous
I thought the rule of thumb for a coupe was no B-pillar. This is why 4-door coupes and 2-door sedans exist.

I don't know what to say about a convertible, but I wouldn't call a convertible a coupe as there is no C-pillar.
Exactly. Also, convertibles have inferior performance compared to coupes because of increased weight and reduced rigidity. Take the new G convertible, for instance; that thing weighs 450 lb. more than the G coupe.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
I would take anything from Acura at this point in terms of a two door but I somewhat agree.
To the point above about the tranny I too was disappointed with the rerelease of the 5 speed tranny, I mean c'mon this new TL was supposed to be special and the tranny alone was a big minus as many companies have had 6 speeds for years. AWD was a nice touch but it still needs a bit more hp, 300 is not enough.
I just bought a 2008 Audi A4 convertible, not all of the technology of the TL but some key differences with the turbo 4, quality brakes and a 6 speed for starters.
The other big thing is the changes in design as BMW and Audi make small, subtle and tasteful changes, even Infiniti and Lexus kept with similar designs in the IS and GS to keep with the formula of the cars original success.
This is where I think Acura has gone wrong, changes have been too drastic and they no longer seem to have the vehicles that are going to appeal to masses, a specialty coupe or convertible could help remedy that.
Why even go 6sp auto, they might as well just go 7sp and keep it for a long while and spend the 6sp R&D on the 7sp. Is this even possible?

The CL coupe would have to be a bit shorter than the 4dr TL but it would look nice. They just need a two door luxo in the Acura line period.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcuraSoulElement
Why even go 6sp auto, they might as well just go 7sp and keep it for a long while and spend the 6sp R&D on the 7sp. Is this even possible?
marketing, for one thing. Razor blades are a good example. they started with single bladed disposables. Once the public got used to that, they introduced 2 blades and suddenly everyone had to have the new goodie. Then they went to three, 4, and even 5 blades, generating buzz and sales with each upgrade.

If they'd gone from 1 to 5, they'd have missed out on all the sales boosts from 2, 3, and 4 blades.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
marketing, for one thing. Razor blades are a good example. they started with single bladed disposables. Once the public got used to that, they introduced 2 blades and suddenly everyone had to have the new goodie. Then they went to three, 4, and even 5 blades, generating buzz and sales with each upgrade.

If they'd gone from 1 to 5, they'd have missed out on all the sales boosts from 2, 3, and 4 blades.
CVT with their infinite possible gears are by far the best then.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Haelous
CVT with their infinite possible gears are by far the best then.
Have CVTs gotten better? I admit I don't have a lot of experience with them but the last Civic I drove with a CVT was particularly annoying.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
I think if or when the new NSX comes out, it's going to be a lot more "decaffeinated" than what was originally planned. I think it will be a very limited production run with a car that might be powered by a small V6 (either the TSX's or TL's) or even a turbo-4 to save costs. I just can't see Acura spending millions in R&D for a "trophy car" to compete in a segment in which it has never dominated or given anything significant back in return, especially in this economy and especially after their CEO announced sometime ago that they were going to focus more on fuel efficiency and hybrid technology and not on horsepower.
Pete how can you say that? Obviously you do not realize the impact the original NSX had on the market gurantee Lexus will not make that type of impact with their LF-A or whatever they are naming it. Your assumptions above sound like the sub coupe that was always in the plans for new models that were promised ZDX coming, NSX canceled,sub coupe? and the others must be the current updated models
Old 09-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Have CVTs gotten better? I admit I don't have a lot of experience with them but the last Civic I drove with a CVT was particularly annoying.
My new Audi A4 convertible has a CVT tranny, it really is nice, I've read it's one of the best one's out there.
I also have a sport mode which is cool and can of course shift with the auto stick.
No DSG in my car which would have been nice.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn

Yeah but that example is null and void in this case for one simple fact: you would not be releasing a 3 blade and touting it as the hot new thing when your competition has already been releasing 4 and 5 blades.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM
4th Gear

I work for Acura, and I think they need to make it a coupe, whether it be a tsx, tl, or a new model. I think it would strengthen the brand. We have a lot of loyal customers, and I know some want coupes.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

How was Mendel's message any different? Not that you can get into it anyway.
I don't want to sound childish but I think this announcement wasn't the brightest ever. I mean, consumers want coupes and RWD because they're sporty and more fun to drive. They tend to look sexier and make a different statement than sedans, imho.

I can understand maybe the RWD as they don't want to devote R&D to a new drivetrain but a coupe? It could help satisfy a part of customers that want it. And while it means increased costs, it also means Acura could gain or at least maintain its marketshare.

Acura has 2 good platforms in the TL and TSX for making a coupe (the TSX being to more likely candidate as it is somewhat smaller and lighter). TSX coupe AWD with the 3,5liter engine and a choice of 6AT and 6MT...shouldn't be that bad no? I might be wrong though...

I know the company doesn't want to copy-paste the formula of other manufacturers but it has to stay competitive. A good, somewhat lighter (3300-3700lbs) and sleekier coupe could lend a hand to the overall corporate image. Right now, if you want an Acura coupe, you buy a G37 coupe...that's kinda sad, no?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Common theme from those who often criticize the 4G here, contradiction. In all honesty I have to agree it would be nice to have seen a 6AT but it's not like it isn't coming. Anyway, my real point is that even if it is only a 5AT, in a lot of single comparisons, a 6AT doesn't always present a real advantage. Your A4 for example may have a 6AT, which is great, but it still doesn't match the level of performance in any 4G TL anyway and gas mileage would have been an advantage in the turbo 4 in the first place. Sure it provides advantages to the A4 than if it was only a 5AT, but in comparison to the TL, there's really nothing. Now if it was another car in comparison instead that was also a similar weighing car but also 300 hp vehicle than you might see the benefits of having a 6AT in that car vs having the 5AT in the TL, but not in your A4.

300 hp is not enough but 200 in an A4 convertible that weighs nearly the same as the TL SH is? HP is something everyone will say any car could use more of but some actually desperately need it more than others. Don't mistake quality brakes for more functional brakes, it doesn't always translate. To many the functionality is more important than the quality especially when it comes to braking and safety. Not trying to take anything away, just bringing some perspective. The A4 is a nice car and suitable by personal tastes, needs and preferences, just like the TL.

And for all the fuss over having a 6AT over a 5AT, both merely just slush box autos anyway, why settle for the also outdated when some brands make 7 speeds and even 8, since in most people’s minds it's only a numbers game. If one is really concerned about the advantages of gearing, get a 6MT.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Then it would be a CL...
it wouldnt be the TL coupe, it would just be a CL
Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Instructor

My new Audi A4 convertible has a CVT tranny, it really is nice, I've read it's one of the best one's out there.
I also have a sport mode which is cool and can of course shift with the auto stick.
No DSG in my car which would have been nice.
Which one is it...?

Also, CVTs that have an auto stick mode and set 'gears' defeat the purpose of the technology.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by YetiTL
I mean, consumers want coupes and RWD because they're sporty and more fun to drive.
To be clear, nobody ever said there wouldn't be a coupe

Originally Posted by Silva-type-s
it wouldnt be the TL coupe, it would just be a CL
I can say from my conversations with those at Acura, nobody wants another CL. I think this means that we're looking at something other than a largish FWD coupe. Certain pieces are falling into place. There is now a 6MT that works with SH-AWD for example and of course the new 6AT
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ yea i spoke to a guy at the international auto show, and he told me there will not be another CL
Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro

To be clear, nobody ever said there wouldn't be a coupe
I know, I didn't say there wouldn't be a coupe soon, only that Acura lineup could use one.

And you are right, we have some good pieces: 6AT/6MT working with SH-AWD, great interior quality...the future can be bright and sunny if those pieces are well coordinated together...

Time will tell I guess
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Look up Lexus SC!
I have and Lexus seems to consider it a convertible. (http://www.lexus.com/models/allModels/#)

If you had an SC430, would you tell your friends to hop in for a ride in your convertible or your coupe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
They might as well just rename it the CL and bring that back instead.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Needs a different rear end...hell even a new front end but I like the concept
Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Pro

I can say from my conversations with those at Acura, nobody wants another CL. I think this means that we're looking at something other than a largish FWD coupe. Certain pieces are falling into place. There is now a 6MT that works with SH-AWD for example and of course the new 6AT
That's a very good thing. Given the available powertrains at Acura, I think aiming for something like the A5 would be a worthwhile goal. The A5 does not perform as well as the G37, but it looks great on the interior and the exterior, has AWD, and handles well enough for most people.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Pro

Forget type-s talk lets bring this back...I was cleaning up some old files and found another two door chop I had done but don't remember if I posted the second one here.

Given a slightly shorter and lighter coupe with the same drivetrain as the AWD sedan and we could see a 4.9 on the 0-60 @ low 13's. Well dreaming can be fun...I'd buy the coupe in a heartbeat. All the luxo brands would be given a run for their money.

Last edited by Hacura; 05-17-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks ok, but given the already slow TL sales and traditionally small market for coupes, I highly doubt Acura would spend the money to do a TL coupe.
Besides, the upcoming CTS coupe looks way sexier than anything out there or on the horizon.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Pro

The rear on the CTS is just shit ugly...JMO. No way that will grow on me...rest of car is pure sex as you have mentioned.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
why are you talking about a tl coupe. If they make a coupe it would be labeled a cl not a tl. The cl and the tl are the same car, just the cl has 2 less doors. They discontinued the cl for a reason and it is because noone wants only 2 doors in a 4 seat car. I wouldnt be surprised if Acura got rid of manual trannies soon too. I dont see Acura making any sports cars or 2 door cars in the recent future. Acura wants to stay safe and make only 4 door sedans and suv/crossover's. Acura is basically done with sports cars. CRX done, s2000 done, cl done, rsx done, integra done, nsx done. Acura is just going to make cars for non enthusiasts now who just want 4 doors, auto trannies, heavy cars with technology that drives and thinks for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

I dream that one day Acura will come out with a coupe that I like as much as my 93 Legend Coupe.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
why are you talking about a tl coupe. If they make a coupe it would be labeled a cl not a tl. The cl and the tl are the same car, just the cl has 2 less doors. They discontinued the cl for a reason and it is because noone wants only 2 doors in a 4 seat car. I wouldnt be surprised if Acura got rid of manual trannies soon too. I dont see Acura making any sports cars or 2 door cars in the recent future. Acura wants to stay safe and make only 4 door sedans and suv/crossover's. Acura is basically done with sports cars. CRX done, s2000 done, cl done, rsx done, integra done, nsx done. Acura is just going to make cars for non enthusiasts now who just want 4 doors, auto trannies, heavy cars with technology that drives and thinks for you.

While I agree they have moved away from their enthusiast roots, have you driven the 4G 6MT? They invested a pretty substantial amount of time and money to design that gearbox, even measuring for a specific distance on the throws to make they short and sporty.

I doubt they'll drop MT's altogether, if they were going to do that, they never would have designed and built the 6MT gearbox for the 4G TL (which as everyone can probably agree is one of the lesser successful TLs out there). I think we'll see a new NSX eventually, but the economy needs to turn around, they won't dump a 100k+ supercar on us if no one is going to buy it in a shitty economy.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
They tried this. It was called the CL. I had 2 of them. I loved them both. They didn't sell like Honda hoped. They canned them. The end.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
why are you talking about a tl coupe. If they make a coupe it would be labeled a cl not a tl. The cl and the tl are the same car, just the cl has 2 less doors.
The LEGEND was a SEDAN and a COUPE. The same logic you cited above applied back in the 80's when the car(s) were first introduced (same car, different number of doors). There is nothing cast in stone that says "if it only has 2 doors, then it has to be called a CL".
Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
The LEGEND was a SEDAN and a COUPE. The same logic you cited above applied back in the 80's when the car(s) were first introduced (same car, different number of doors). There is nothing cast in stone that says "if it only has 2 doors, then it has to be called a CL".
yes i know about the legend being before the cl, but acura doesn't use names anymore just letters. All i was saying is if Acura does make a coupe it wont be called a "tl". it most likely wont be called the legend either because acura has done away with names. The legend was both a coupe and sedan yes, but Acura dsnt make cars that way anymore.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I've seen rumors in a few places now that the RL name will dropped when the new"RL" debuts and that it will be called "Legend." Smart move, IMO.

Of course, that says nothing about a coupe, which as you can tell from my sig, I'd be all for.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Burning Brakes

There's already one....it's called the Accord Coupe.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 PM
4th Gear

sure looks awesome