2011 TL with Advance Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I do not understand where the RL fits in over the next couple of years. We know that the RWD platform is shelved and we know that the V8 is shelved...so what happens to the RL?

With the ZDX around, maybe adding the Advance Package to the TL SH-AWD will allow them to retire the antiquated RL until they can afford a complete redesign a re-introduction. Maybe do without an RL altogether in 2011 or 2012?

Although I can see and understand the difference between the RL and TL, if they're adding the Advance Package to the TL, and if the ZDX already costs as much or more than the RL, I don't understand what we're supposed to be doing with the RL.

I vote forget the RL for a year or two, and put the production into the TL and ZDX. :-)
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I do not understand where the RL fits in over the next couple of years. We know that the RWD platform is shelved and we know that the V8 is shelved...so what happens to the RL?

With the ZDX around, maybe adding the Advance Package to the TL SH-AWD will allow them to retire the antiquated RL until they can afford a complete redesign a re-introduction. Maybe do without an RL altogether in 2011 or 2012?

Although I can see and understand the difference between the RL and TL, if they're adding the Advance Package to the TL, and if the ZDX already costs as much or more than the RL, I don't understand what we're supposed to be doing with the RL.

I vote forget the RL for a year or two, and put the production into the TL and ZDX. :-)
I wonder the same thing too, but I am confused with Acura's recent announcement about abandoning their "Tier 1" goals. It really does leave the RL with nowhere to grow if they aren't going to give it a V8 or RWD as options. How will the RL ever compete without these two options? The TL on the other hand is placed perfectly, and adding the Advanced package would make the car even more value rich than it already is. Even if the price goes up a few thousand dollars, it will still have more bang for the buck than it's competitors.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Also, paying cash for a car is a great way to lockup a lot of capital for several years. Kind of stupid. it's like paying cash for a house. If I had the cash to buy my house right now, I still wouldn't do it. Much better uses for that money. I gladly pay the 5.75% mortgage interest. With cars, the terms are even BETTER. Why pay cash
It's not stupid at all if you can afford it, not by a long shot. Why pay thousands of dollars more in interest on a depreciating asset [car] if you don't need to? With savings rates the way that they are currently, there is no way you would make that money up.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
It's not stupid at all if you can afford it, not by a long shot. Why pay thousands of dollars more in interest on a depreciating asset [car] if you don't need to? With savings rates the way that they are currently, there is no way you would make that money up.
you can make it up. if ur smart with investments like foreign currencies/stocks, commodities/food tracking stocks etc. in long run they are going to go up anyway as world has finite resources. Always remember basic rule. that it is easy to go up from $40k to $100k than from $1k to $40k. losing $5k in interest in over 4 to 5 year period time is not big risk. as the $40k car is itself a risk.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
you can make it up. if ur smart with investments like foreign currencies/stocks, commodities/food tracking stocks etc. in long run they are going to go up anyway as world has finite resources. Always remember basic rule. that it is easy to go up from $40k to $100k than from $1k to $40k. losing $5k in interest in over 4 to 5 year period time is not big risk. as the $40k car is itself a risk.
Even people who are extremely smart with investments lose big money at times. But if you have little or no debt, you can survive the bad times.

Pardon my bluntness, but I don't think I'll take advice on how I plan for financial security from a guy who can't even type a paragraph using full words and full sentences that start with capital letters.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man
I wonder the same thing too, but I am confused with Acura's recent announcement about abandoning their "Tier 1" goals. It really does leave the RL with nowhere to grow if they aren't going to give it a V8 or RWD as options. How will the RL ever compete without these two options? The TL on the other hand is placed perfectly, and adding the Advanced package would make the car even more value rich than it already is. Even if the price goes up a few thousand dollars, it will still have more bang for the buck than it's competitors.
I agree. And Acura has actually made several marketing blunders over the years. They killed the "Legend" name because they decided the name was becoming more recognizable than the Acura name. Then through most of the 90s and early 00s, they had some of the plainest, more boring cars on the market and pretty much survived on ricers buying Integras.

I give Honda credit for doing a lot of things right, but more and more they act like an arrogant company - which is what got GM in trouble. BTW, I'm big into motorcycles and see them the same in the motorcycle business.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Pardon my bluntness, but I don't think I'll take advice on how I plan for financial security from a guy who can't even type a paragraph using full words and full sentences that start with capital letters.
Rules for Royalty: 22:6 Never reject anything out of hand.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I see what you are saying, but your average person is not going to get involved with all of this. And like jjsC5, it is risky and you can lose big $. Secondly, this all comes down to basic, bare bones economics: why spend thousands more on anything if you don't need to?!? Even if you are the best negotiator in the world and get a killer deal on your car, you just lost your advantage (and maybe even then some depending on the terms) if you need to take out a loan and pay interest. On the flip side that killer deal means that much more if you can pay cash and the "true value", meaning the exact value of the item at the time of your purchase.

Of course there can be exceptions and the super duper investors out there may be able to finagle this to work to their advantage but when it comes down to basic economics and the avg. person, paying cash is the way to go. ESPECIALLY if it's not going to create a hardship for you and you own your cars for a long period of time.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I see what you are saying, but your average person is not going to get involved with all of this. And like jjsC5, it is risky and you can lose big $. Secondly, this all comes down to basic, bare bones economics: why spend thousands more on anything if you don't need to?!? Even if you are the best negotiator in the world and get a killer deal on your car, you just lost your advantage (and maybe even then some depending on the terms) if you need to take out a loan and pay interest. On the flip side that killer deal means that much more if you can pay cash and the "true value", meaning the exact value of the item at the time of your purchase.

Of course there can be exceptions and the super duper investors out there may be able to finagle this to work to their advantage but when it comes down to basic economics and the avg. person, paying cash is the way to go. ESPECIALLY if it's not going to create a hardship for you and you own your cars for a long period of time.
Let suppose u have $40k and u buy a car. u lose all the flexibility of using that money for anywhere else for next 5 or 6 years.
and now let suppose u put it on home equity or 7 & 8 year car loan.
that $40k u can invest in your own house remodeling to increase its value and make better living condition. (Like adding a extra bath or divide a room)
but u cant invest anything in car to enhance its value. it will always depreciate at time. and there is some thing called labor charges. $40k worth of labor charges today is worth far more than 5 to 6 years down the road. So i am paying $400 a month for car loan and still be paying $400 a month at year 5 or 6 or 7 than that $400 a month is worth alot less in TVM sense. ur winner in long term loans bases. Fed will be always printing money. thats what they are good for. Basic rule is never buy car on cash. Always tries to get longest term loan from anywhere. this is the most simplestic example i have given. with loan i wll still have $40k car and $40k immediate use. as person gets older and more experianced. earning power increases if ur dedicated to ur field. so at age 30 $400 looks big amount but at $35. it should not have that big effect.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
I agree. And Acura has actually made several marketing blunders over the years. They killed the "Legend" name because they decided the name was becoming more recognizable than the Acura name. Then through most of the 90s and early 00s, they had some of the plainest, more boring cars on the market and pretty much survived on ricers buying Integras.

I give Honda credit for doing a lot of things right, but more and more they act like an arrogant company - which is what got GM in trouble. BTW, I'm big into motorcycles and see them the same in the motorcycle business.
It just seems to me that every other year they are changeing the direction of the brand. They announce an NSX replacement then scrap it. The mention that for the RL to compete, it needs RWD and a V8, then they back peddle. They say they want to take the brand up market to "Tier 1", but now they back off that too. A few years ago, Honda said that Hybrids was not the direction to go in the future, and that Diesel and fuel cell technology was the future. Now there's talk of them bringing out Hybrid vehicle! There is just WAY to much confusion within the company. It seems like there is no direction, which comes from a lack of strong leadership. They have folks in place that aren't good decision makers, it's very obvious!