2011 TL with Advance Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 TL with Advance Package

So I was at my local dealership this morning to pick up some fuses and I was chatting a little bit with the new car sales manager. He told me a little bit about the 2011 TL. He said it will be available with the new "Advance Package" that is similar to that seen in the new ZDX......meaning it will offer adjustable dampers with "comfort" and "sport" settings w/adjustable steering effort. The package will also offer ventilated sports seats and new 20" sport rims. He also said a new 6-sp AT will be standard in addition to some minor "cosmetic" changes. He also mentioned the possibility of a small increase in hp but couldn't get into specifics.

BTW, he and a few other sales guys saw my new RJ grill and went absolutely bonkers over it! He said if he had a few TLs with my new grill, he would have sold them all that day! (Ron definately needs to speak to some of those guys at Acura!)
Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think there's a good chance of the above happening (with the exception of the 20" wheels). What I wonder is what will Acura do with the MMC if all this stuff is offered in 2011....
Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice info Pete. All of that sounds plausible, and I don't think Acura is gonna wait till MMC to make some changes.

BTW RonJon you could make a fortune selling your grilles direct to dealers
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All of that sounds great and I hope it happens, but I have serious doubts that the sales manager knew first hand about any of it. We are the last people to know this information. We still don't have pricing on the ZDX. They aren't going to tell us the plans for the 2011 TL this early.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I find it hard to beleive they know that much so early, but I woudl have guessed they woudl have done a Type-S with all that stuff instead of offering another "package" and I woudl guess 2012 at MMC, but it will be interesting to see. I'm interested to see what the 3G G3x does to catch up with Acura, I love the ride of the 4G, but I'm still not loving the looks.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see them add another package at some point to help fill the gap left by the current RL, no matter what direction it goes in but it's likely just speculation at this point and they will probably also wish to incorporate the adaptive lighting and cruise and CMBS or offer them in another package as well. Again, the 20's are too big by the usual Acura standards and being that they are trying to cut back on trims and colors as it is the only thing that would be worth it for them to produce would be the 6AT and a refresh and maybe we see that as early as next model year but that is probably all.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhn75
I think there's a good chance of the above happening (with the exception of the 20" wheels). What I wonder is what will Acura do with the MMC if all this stuff is offered in 2011....
They might break up the MMC into two parts. 2011 sounds like it is just adding a trim level with more features and I would guess a small change to the grill or rims that would be easy/cheap to address short term issues.

And then 2012 would be the bigger changes like any sheet metal changes and such to address larger issues and prepare the car to bridge the gap with the new RL which will probably move up in class.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
I find it hard to beleive they know that much so early, but I woudl have guessed they woudl have done a Type-S with all that stuff instead of offering another "package" and I woudl guess 2012 at MMC, but it will be interesting to see. I'm interested to see what the 3G G3x does to catch up with Acura, I love the ride of the 4G, but I'm still not loving the looks.
Man I thought you would have moved on by now . Infiniti and Lexus are gonna have some hot new products in the next couple of years in the entry level lux market, so I guess it'd be better to wait for that.

I heard the next G is gonna have direct injection 340hp and more tq than the current G37
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Boy those Infiniti guys never let up, do they. The next G's gonna be a monster that's for sure.

I can see the 2011 TL lineup as follows:

1. Base
2. SH-AWD
3. FWD w/Tech package
4. SH-AWD w/Tech Package
5. SH-AWD w/Tech Package and Advance Package
6. SH-AWD 6MT w/Tech Package and Advance Package

(From what I've been told, the Advance Package is only available w/Tech Package)
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does the RL get redesigned for the 2011 MY or the 2012? If it's 2011 this all makes even more sense.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Pete- did they say the 6AT will be std across the board or will it only be exclusive to the Advance Pkg?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
If only the suspension ride height could be adjusted by 1-2 inches like the benz' suspension, they just adjust the valve and it drops the car, no spring change or nuthin.

Oh, and I find the 20" wheel option hard to believe.

And I'll be hitting up the dealers soon as we get these current customer's orders all filled.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rondog
And I'll be hitting up the dealers soon as we get these current customer's orders all filled.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
LOL, I love a rumor as much as the next guy, but you guys are going to 'speculate yourselves' into a world of disappointment.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
Pete- did they say the 6AT will be std across the board or will it only be exclusive to the Advance Pkg?
The 6AT will be standard on all TL models.

The Advance Package, as I was told, will only involve adjustable dampers and ventilated seats.

BTW, this isn't just rumor or random speculation as Mr. Colin points out......the Advance package is already available now on the ZDX as well as the 6AT on the ZDX and MDX. My sales manager was pretty confidant when he said that it'll show up on the 2011 4G's as well.

Last edited by PetesTL; 10-21-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, I love a rumor as much as the next guy, but you guys are going to 'speculate yourselves' into a world of disappointment.
I'm kinda leaning toward this sentiment as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PetesTL
The 6AT will be standard on all TL models.

The Advance Package, as I was told, will only involve adjustable dampers and ventilated seats.

BTW, this isn't just rumor or random speculation as Mr. Colin points out......the Advance package is already available now on the ZDX as well as the 6AT on the ZDX and MDX. My sales manager was pretty confidant when he said that it'll show up on the 2011 4G's as well.
And, you don't think I know what's in the MDX and ZDX? Sorry, but unless you define "rumor" differently than I do, it is a rumor. But it's not necessarily random. I am quite sure that when they're ready to roll the 6AT out into more cars, the TL is high on the list. I also think that the items from Advance package (MDX or ZDX) should find their way into the TL's higher trim levels as this would allow things like the push button start to migrate into the lower trims.

I just wonder about the timing. 2010's have barely arrived, and Acura doesn't usually spill this kind of information this early. The Owner might learn this kind of stuff at the annual dealer meeting, but I don't think we've had it yet. (obviously I don't go to these) Acura's traditional MMC is MY4 and this would be 2012 and this is when I'd bet that the big changes happen. I'd say that the 6AT could be rolled out for 2011, probably with relatively little fanfare (compared to MMC).
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It makes sense to see this package on the ZDX and MDX as they are variants of the same build. The 6AT makes it's way into these cars but it was designed and built on the MDX as was the ZDX itself.

Everyone seems to question why Acura would make the investment on such a new type of vehicle on such a niche market but that's exactly why they did. It is not as if the ZDX had to be built from the ground up, it is a very cost effective project to manufacturer.

I don't see Acura designing, testing and building an adaptive suspension exclusively for the TL and making it available in the 3rd year of it's current generation life. I also don't see a market that calls for it in the TL and also don't see anyone spending $3k-$4k on it even if that.

Normally we see them go with stuff that is already available to them and easier to incorporate like some of the RL features and options. So a package along those lines is expected at some point. Acura has always played it safe and with the way things are now I don't expect that philosophy to suddenly change and part of that is also making the bigger or the most changes at one time to avoid constant production cost shifts.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-22-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 AM
Advanced

You have to love the internet....someone posts something thinking they are sharing some cool info, followed by 80 people telling him why they are wrong...lol
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thurley42
You have to love the internet....someone posts something thinking they are sharing some cool info, followed by 80 people telling him why they are wrong...lol
This so true, but this median the internet is what fuels it. I'm sure before some people replied they googled Tl advance package just to make sure that it wasn't somewhere else on the net. Once it was confirmed let the discrediting begin.

With that being said, I for one think its too soon for this to happen by next year's model. It just isn't the Honda/Acura way. This will really start to make customers say ummm why should I buy a ZDX when I can get everything in a TL. 20 inch rims? I don't see Acura's 19's flying of the showroom. If they want to come out with 20's make the tires sizes a little closer to norm. Its bad enough once you start going passed the OEM 17's the price of tires become ridiculous.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bagbklyn
This so true, but this median the internet is what fuels it. I'm sure before some people replied they googled Tl advance package just to make sure that it wasn't somewhere else on the net. Once it was confirmed let the discrediting begin.

With that being said, I for one think its too soon for this to happen by next year's model. It just isn't the Honda/Acura way. This will really start to make customers say ummm why should I buy a ZDX when I can get everything in a TL. 20 inch rims? I don't see Acura's 19's flying of the showroom. If they want to come out with 20's make the tires sizes a little closer to norm. Its bad enough once you start going passed the OEM 17's the price of tires become ridiculous.

Why is it so hard to believe nowdays what a manufacturer can or cannot do? Who would've thought just 2-3 years ago that a conservative automaker like Honda/Acura would bring out such a radically-designed car like the 4G TL?......or just a year ago when the V6 TSX was introduced?........or the indefinate delay of the next-gen NSX and RL when everybody was so sure they would come out? We're not talking about some ambiguous, revolutionary technology that Honda/Acura has yet to produce. The tech and materials are already there. It's just a matter of Acura applying them to various platforms at the appropriate time. With the fierce competition that already exists in todays market, I'm sure there is a lot of pressure on Acura to bring out these features sooner rather than later.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
If only the suspension ride height could be adjusted by 1-2 inches like the benz' suspension, they just adjust the valve and it drops the car, no spring change or nuthin.
You can only do that on the S class and CL. They both ride on hydraulics which you can set the computer to drop the car and make the ECU believe its riding at the stock value which has been changed to a lower value. For the other classes if u want it lower you can have them order the german suspension which rides like stock but sits lower.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Why is it so hard to believe nowdays what a manufacturer can or cannot do? Who would've thought just 2-3 years ago that a conservative automaker like Honda/Acura would bring out such a radically-designed car like the 4G TL?......or just a year ago when the V6 TSX was introduced?........or the indefinate delay of the next-gen NSX and RL when everybody was so sure they would come out? We're not talking about some ambiguous, revolutionary technology that Honda/Acura has yet to produce. The tech and materials are already there. It's just a matter of Acura applying them to various platforms at the appropriate time. With the fierce competition that already exists in todays market, I'm sure there is a lot of pressure on Acura to bring out these features sooner rather than later.
I know you aren't the dealer, just a question to the mass. If you do give the advance package to the TL, what happens to the RL? Something has to happen to it, either Acura has to discontinue you it? Make it more powerful? Something has to give because someone in there right mind would go and buy an RL over a TL at the point. I would ask the dealer if he/she has heard anyhting about the fate of the RL.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you aren't the dealer, just a question to the mass. If you do give the advance package to the TL, what happens to the RL? Something has to happen to it, either Acura has to discontinue you it? Make it more powerful? Something has to give because someone in there right mind would go and buy an RL over a TL at the point. I would ask the dealer if he/she has heard anyhting about the fate of the RL.
The RL should be given a "beautiful death" and removed from the model line-up. Infiniti runs well with 2 sedans but multiple configurations of those 2. I think this would do some good to Acura to kill both the RL and CSX and improve current offerings in the TSX and TL.

IMHO, the Advance package seems very likely, as is a competitive 6AT. Acura don't have much of a choice if they want to maintain some sort of credibility in the near-lux/entry level lux market.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

RL gets redesigned in 2010 or 2011 so I'm thinking these changes are going to coincide with a new RL. The RL will probably move up to being a larger full size sedan with even more features and tech while the TL gets a new optional high tech package.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by (Cj)
RL gets redesigned in 2010 or 2011 so I'm thinking these changes are going to coincide with a new RL. The RL will probably move up to being a larger full size sedan with even more features and tech while the TL gets a new optional high tech package.
This is going back to rumor mill, we don't know the fate of the RL. I don't kow if Acura knows the fate of the RL. If they were doing something for the RL for 2010 there would be some mules being photographed somewhere by now. 2011 is anyone's guess when it come to acura. Everyone believes every year Acura is going to bring back a version of the CL hasn't happened. At the end of the day we just don't know. We just have to sit here and keep searching for facts or pictures to support or discount these rumors. I also think when it come to the RL, being that its supposed to be the flagship of the Acura Line up they would give it around 9 months to a year lead time so they can keep customers from jumping ship.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car dealers are the worst at spreading rumors. It generates excitement and interest. Plus, they are human too. They hear rumors and pass them along like the rest of us. I'm with Colin. There's some flaws in the rumor which make it sound like fantasy. if nothing else, 2011 is too early for an MMC on this gen.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

What's so "fantasy" about it? We're not talking about the TL getting a 400hp supercharged V6 (won't that be nice!). A year ago, people laughed at the possibility of the TSX getting a 280 hp V6. No one's laughing anymore. The Advance package already exists. The 6AT already exists. Would it be such a stretch to think they won't migrate over to the TL? The entry-level luxury sedan market right now is very saturated and very competitive. The next gen Infiniti G sedan is coming next year. A new BMW 3 series is also around the corner. There's also competition from new domestics such as the Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS, and Buick LaCrosse. I can't imagine Acura just standing idly while the competition continues to get better and better and more innovative.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

@bagbklyn
I believe it was confirmed here by an Acura source that the RL is not being killed, and that it will be redesigned soon. The only thing we're not sure of is the date.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

What's so "fantasy" about it? We're not talking about the TL getting a 400hp supercharged V6 (won't that be nice!). A year ago, people laughed at the possibility of the TSX getting a 280 hp V6. No one's laughing anymore. The Advance package already exists. The 6AT already exists. Would it be such a stretch to think they won't migrate over to the TL? The entry-level luxury sedan market right now is very saturated and very competitive. The next gen Infiniti G sedan is coming next year. A new BMW 3 series is also around the corner. There's also competition from new domestics such as the Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS, and Buick LaCrosse. I can't imagine Acura just standing idly while the competition continues to get better and better and more innovative.

I don't think Acura really has a choice anyway with the market getting so competitive. Remember guys the cost of this addition is not huge since this is stuff their already in their other cars.

New IS, ES, and G are right around the corner and thats the TL's main competition, the Hyundai Equus is coming out next year, and as Pete said a new 3 is coming and the domestics aren't sleeping either (although I don't think their impact in the luxury sector is too huge yet)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

@bagbklyn
I believe it was confirmed here by an Acura source that the RL is not being killed, and that it will be redesigned soon. The only thing we're not sure of is the date.
Well the RL certainly has a much better chance of being revived than the NSX. Sports cars are slowly becoming extinct. I think Acura is waiting for the economy to recover. I predict the next RL to have a high-output version of the 3.7L or a combination electric motor & V6 (hybrid). The V8 is dead.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well the RL certainly has a much better chance of being revived than the NSX. Sports cars are slowly becoming extinct. I think Acura is waiting for the economy to recover. I predict the next RL to have a high-output version of the 3.7L or a combination electric motor & V6 (hybrid). The V8 is dead.
+1

Thats the most likely thing, and I think it would be pretty cool. It could compete directly with the GS450h.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
I'm kinda leaning toward this sentiment as well.
IAWTC!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Out of curiosity- if the 6AT was to make it to the 2011 TL, wouldn't we see test mules of it now or hear anything about it? The 2011's would make their way into dealers in about a year so wouldn't they need to start doing the testing immediately for this to happen?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Out of curiosity- if the 6AT was to make it to the 2011 TL, wouldn't we see test mules of it now or hear anything about it? The 2011's would make their way into dealers in about a year so wouldn't they need to start doing the testing immediately for this to happen?
I believe the 6AT for 2011 is entirely possible. The 5AT rolled out in 2000 without a lot of warning. If this were the case, they could be testing it right under our noses since there would be no exterior changes needed.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced

I really hope that's not true about the adaptive damper system and the ventillated seats. I want those feature SO bad, and just picked up a '10 2 days ago
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Instructor

This is exactly what i'm saying, these test mules better be out on the street next month or it isn't happening. For next year. Pics of the 4G Tl were seen in camo back in the summer of 2007. Summer of 2008 is when the ZDX was pictured in camo. So if history proves us right and usually with Honda it does, they usually give their model changes a year lead time. Not discrediting what any of you on her are saying, its just the time frame doesn't seem likely. this is not a ford 300, ford taurus, or a chevy malibu that has to be redesigned or have a significant upgrade because its sales are in the can.

Just look at the 2g and the 3g TL, before they did any update or revisions it took 3 years.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
They could have 6SPD mules out right now if they don't change anything else and no need to camo the car if there is not visible changes to the exterior, could be hidden in plain sight!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
They could have 6SPD mules out right now if they don't change anything else and no need to camo the car if there is not visible changes to the exterior, could be hidden in plain sight!
+1

Most of the changes we're speculating are internal so a test mule could be driving around Cali right now. BTW was there a test mule for the 6MT SH-AWD TL before it came out? no.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor

+1

BTW was there a test mule for the 6MT SH-AWD TL before it came out? no.
We kinda didn't need a mule for the 6MT, when Acura announced it September of 2008, and a year later that's when it is hitting the streets.

Quick Reply: 2011 TL with Advance Package