Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow 2011 Acura TL Reviews

The Car Connection
Summary Rating: 7.8 out of 10

by Bengt Halvorson
Deputy Editor
Jan 6, 2011

The Basics
While the 2011 Acura TL lays aim at some of the market's top sport sedans, it has very modest roots—essentially, building on the V-6 Honda Accord. That said, the TL is up to the task; it's a surprisingly well-rounded luxury sedan, with host of advanced tech features, and in top SH-AWD trim morphs into a complete and compelling sport sedan.

The TL has changed little since it was last completely redesigned, for the 2009 model year. Skinned with a high-tech but controversial look, the TL is, for many, a love-it-or-leave-it design. Still, heads swivel when the TL drives by. The more restrained mid-lux sedan owner may roll their eyes at its seemingly robot-inspired sheetmetal, but younger or more adventurous buyers will consider it refreshing. On the inside, there's much less controversy and more to like. Gentle arcs and circles predominate, beautifully melding leather and synthetic, analog and digital in an artful yet logical way that is uniquely Acura.

If you're looking at the TL because you're in the market for a well-rounded luxury sedan, you'll be happy with the standard 280-horsepower 3.5-liter VTEC V-6, that's essentially the same engine as used in the Honda Accord and powers front wheels with a 5-speed automatic transmission. But if performance at all matters, you'll want to step up to the TL SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive), and you'll get the 305-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 from the RL sedan juicing all 4 wheels through Acura's capable system that removes any threat of torque steer, displays how its distributing power in the instrument cluster, and almost gives the TL the feel of a rear-wheel-drive sport sedan-as long as you're heavy on the gas. In addition to the automatic, you can get a manual on the TL SH-AWD. Working together with the stability control system and allocating torque not only front-to-back but left-to-right, the SH-AWD system is ideally suited to spirited driving and quick emergency maneuvers on the road. Even on rough-surfaced, rain-slicked pavement, we found the TL almost impossible to fluster.

Thanks to its Accord roots, the TL has excellent passenger space front and back, with enough space for 3 adults in the back seat. The interior was appointed with supple leather and seats with generous proportions, giving good thigh support but not quite enough lateral support for serious high-performance driving. There's only 1 functional disappointment: With 13.1 cubic feet of space in the trunk, the TL is a bit short of some of its competition. Build quality is typically Acura, with solid materials and close tolerances, though there aren't as many options or upgrades as you'll find at brands like BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus.

The TL's cabin also feels tight and free of wind noise, and even on the coarsest pavement surfaces we noticed very little road noise—definitely less than the M37 or Cadillac CTS. The big 19-inch wheels, however, give the SH-AWD a particularly rough ride over irregular surfaces, a problem not evidenced in the base model, which is more comfortable for most purposes.

When it comes to showcasing a wide range of high-tech features, the 2011 Acura TL is at its best. Interfacing easily with a host of personal electronics, even the base TL features a standard USB iPod/MP3 interface, an 8-speaker audio system, and a crisp, high-resolution center-mounted display for controlling the infotainment system. Going up the scale, the top SH-AWD model sure can seem pricey, but it's a complete, sophisticated sport sedan with the Tech Package, including a navigation system with live traffic, weather, and rerouting; a rearview camera; solar-sensing temperature control, keyless access, and an upgraded 440-watt Acura/ELS surround sound system.
Styling
7 out of 10 A controversial snout is about all that’s not to like in an otherwise edgy yet functional sport-sedan design.
Performance
7 out of 10 While the 2011 Acura TL isn’t downright inspirational for enthusiasts, it’s surprisingly eager and athletic in TL-SH guise—especially if you go for the 6-speed stick.
Quality
8 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL has more passenger comfort and functionality than most other luxosedans this size—plus a tight, high-quality feel.
Safety
9 out of 10 Although the TL hasn’t been put through some of the latest federal crash tests, it’s by most accounts a very safe sedan.
Features
9 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL offers most of the tech wizardry of rival models, but the interface has a learning curve.
Green
7 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL is about as green as you’d expect for a mid-size, V-6 luxury sedan that doesn’t have any hybrid tech on board.
We like
* Attractive, high-quality interior
* Poise and responsiveness (SH-AWD)
* Nice sound system and iPod integration
* Roomy backseat and excellent ride

We dislike
* Exterior detailing
* Overwhelming center-stack layout
* Sluggish automatic transmission
* Somewhat small trunk

Key Takeaway
If the bold exterior is to your liking, the 2011 Acura TL is a solid luxury value—and the SH-AWD has true sport-sedan chops.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fair and balanced!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Bam - that review nailed all the things that are great about the car, and all the things that are not. A very well written review. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Green
7 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL is about as green as you’d expect for a mid-size, V-6 luxury sedan that doesn’t have any hybrid tech on board.
Ahh yes, because the manufacturing and disposal of batteries is SOOO green
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Pretty spot on and good review.

I agree with most of the positives and negatives. I would probably add a lack of split folding rear seats as a negative, though I still don't understand why some people have a problem with the "busy" center dash on the TL and MDX.

One thing I may differ on is the performance score, esp with the 6MT. I don't know which car the OP has in mind as a 10/10 benchmark. If I assume the 911 and R8 are 10/10 in performance, I would give the TL 6MT a 8.5
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
That was a great write-up. I would have rated it a little differently. An 8 for Quality? Come on!
Definitely better than a 7.8. See below.

Styling
8 out of 10 A controversial snout is about all that’s not to like in an otherwise edgy yet functional sport-sedan design.
Performance
8 out of 10 While the 2011 Acura TL isn’t downright inspirational for enthusiasts, it’s surprisingly eager and athletic in TL-SH guise—especially if you go for the 6-speed stick.
Quality
9 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL has more passenger comfort and functionality than most other luxosedans this size—plus a tight, high-quality feel.
Safety
9 out of 10 Although the TL hasn’t been put through some of the latest federal crash tests, it’s by most accounts a very safe sedan.
Features
9 out of 10 The 2011 Acura TL offers most of the tech wizardry of rival models, but the interface has a learning curve.
Green
We like
* Attractive, high-quality interior
* Poise and responsiveness (SH-AWD)
* Nice sound system and iPod integration
* Roomy backseat and excellent ride

We dislike
* Exterior detailing
* Overwhelming center-stack layout - WHAT?
* Sluggish automatic transmission
* Somewhat small trunk

Total 8.3
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The more restrained mid-lux sedan owner may roll their eyes at its seemingly robot-inspired sheetmetal, but younger or more adventurous buyers will consider it refreshing.
Now we are in trouble.

The TL's cabin also feels tight and free of wind noise, and even on the coarsest pavement surfaces we noticed very little road noise—definitely less than the M37 or Cadillac CTS.
I'm a little surprised to hear this actually.

All in all a pretty fair review, I think we would all agree with most of it.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 01-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Now we are in trouble.

I'm a little surprised to hear this actually.

All in all a pretty fair review, I think we would all agree with most of it.
Can you say: DUCK AND COVER!

LMAO!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the wind noise, it's pretty quiet until you hit 85+mph

but i disagree with the road noise. The TL (Base) does very well when the roads are flat, it's very quiet. However, when it comes to taking on bumpy or coarse roads, it stil does not do a good job. Strange because neither model (base or SHAWD) was jarring over big bumps.

The problem is it's bump absorbtion, the suspension seems to be made purposely to feel each and every little bump! All small and medium sized bumps are easily felt throughout the cabin. For comparison, the Infiniti G37, Audi A5, and Acura RDX all absorb small bumps with ease (though all 3 are pretty jarring over large bumps, where the TL does significantly better), I don't know why the TL has such trouble with small bumps / coarse roads.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Safety Car

Post PortLand Review

2011 Acura TL SH-AWD 6mt: What's Not to Like?
Controversial styling aside, a great sport sedan for discriminating drivers
By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Jan 7, 2011

The side mirrors on the 2011 Acura TL are a little narrow, reducing rear visibility somewhat.

There. That’s the only complaint I have about the all-wheel-drive version of Acura’s mid-size sedan I spent the last week driving. Everything else was just about perfect, including the smooth-shifting 6-speed manual transmission.

I know that not everyone likes the angular styling and shovel-like nose. I think it looks aggressive and different than anything else on the road, except other Acura’s that share the styling cues. Our black-and-silver looked very sleek, especially with the distinctive 5-spoke alloy wheels

Anyone who actually drives the 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT — as it’s formally known — will quickly forget such quibbles. It’s hard to argue with the beautiful and contemporary interior that surrounds you with fine leather, high-quality plastic and tasteful mesh aluminum trim. The leather-covered steering wheel is thick and rewarding to grasp. The Honda 3.7-liter V6 start revs eagerly to its redline in every gear. Body roll is negligible, encouraging spirited driving on winding roads. And the big 4-wheel-disc brakes respond instantly to the lightest touch, making it easy to sweep through fast corners.

The controls were well-designed and easy to understand and use. Some cars make it hard to tell the difference between the buttons, but those in the TL are logically grouped and marked.

Out test model was equipped with the comprehensive option technology package that included every gizmo you could conceivable want in a car these days, including a backup camera and super stereo system. The exclusive console-mounted control knob is easy to understand and use, allowing drivers to quickly pull up information on nearby traffic delays and the like.

For some reason, the leather sport seats in our test model were part of the tech package. They are no more adjustable than any other electronically-controlled seats, but were both supportive and comfortable, especially with the heaters that eased cold weather driving.

Legroom in the back seat is ample, but tall passengers need to duck to clear the sloping roof line when entering. Although the company says 3 adults can fit comfortably in the rear seats, a rise in the center compromises the middle 1. The trunk is large and the floor is flat, despite the rear differential.

You can spend a lot more than the $43,245 price tag on our fully-equipped test model and not get a better sport sedan. Everything works together so flawlessly it’s hard to imagine how it can be improved. The clutch is light and the shift lever floats cleanly between all gears. The steering is precise with just the right amount of feedback. Drivers can sense the Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system shifting the power between the front and rear tires for the best traction. An electric display shows how the power it split, but watching it requires the driver to look away from the road — a bad idea when the information is probably the most interesting.

OK, that was 1 more “problem.” But considering everything else to like about the car, just another very small one.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
I agree with the wind noise, it's pretty quiet until you hit 85+mph

but i disagree with the road noise. The TL (Base) does very well when the roads are flat, it's very quiet. However, when it comes to taking on bumpy or coarse roads, it stil does not do a good job. Strange because neither model (base or SHAWD) was jarring over big bumps.

The problem is it's bump absorbtion, the suspension seems to be made purposely to feel each and every little bump! All small and medium sized bumps are easily felt throughout the cabin. For comparison, the Infiniti G37, Audi A5, and Acura RDX all absorb small bumps with ease (though all 3 are pretty jarring over large bumps, where the TL does significantly better), I don't know why the TL has such trouble with small bumps / coarse roads.
Jason, it's all relative I guess. I cross shopped the Genesis and almost bought it but didn't because of it's ride. I felt every bump on rough roads there too but that car didn't have anywhere near the poise of the TL and it didn't recover from bumps as quickly. It didn't feel anywhere as stable either. It was noisier than I thought. The quietest cars are Lexus I think but then i felt like I was completely divorced from the road. I'm no expert and this is my opinion but the TL is a good balance.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Racer

I thought Acura was going to tone down the nose for 2011. I don't see that in the photos. Does it look a bit more conservative than before in person?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
The Portland Trib review captures my views of the car. My only real complaint is that the outside mirrors could stand to be a little bigger. But, given the other attributes of the car, this is a pimple on the butt of an elephant.

Hard to tell for sure, but from the pics we've seen of the 2012 re-style, Acura is going to increase the outside mirrors' size a bit.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
An 8 for Quality? Come on!
In all fairness, you probably haven't had your TL back to the dealer more than twice in the first 5,000 miles for noises and rattles...the materials are nice, but they've gotta be put together well too in order to get higher than an 8.

Otherwise, I love this car! I agree that the center stack is not hard to master. Could it be cleaned up? Sure. But it still looks much better than European cars (though Euros have us beat in terms of exterior styling).
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Amen! This goes from a minor annoyance to a HUGE problem if your particular area, state, etc. is lax on road maintenance.

But on smooth highways, the TL is like a cruise ship!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
One thing that is not right, the back seat of the SH-AWD (I have this but don't know about the 2 wheel drive), This is clearly a 2 adult back seat, beacause of the stupid hump. That said I don't sit there so I don't care, but anytime I had a 3rd person in the back seat, they are so high that there head it hitting the roof and it is tight.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
I thought Acura was going to tone down the nose for 2011. I don't see that in the photos. Does it look a bit more conservative than before in person?
The nose job is part of the 2012 refresh.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more I drive my wife's 2010 TL (tech/sh-awd/6-speed manual), the more I like it.
I would be hard-pressed to name a better sports sedan for the money.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
compare to my infiniti g35. the tl outside mirror look not that small
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
The nose job is part of the 2012 refresh.
+1, should see it around April or May 2011 since the 2012 is being brought in 6 months early!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinTL
In all fairness, you probably haven't had your TL back to the dealer more than twice in the first 5,000 miles for noises and rattles...the materials are nice, but they've gotta be put together well too in order to get higher than an 8.

Otherwise, I love this car! I agree that the center stack is not hard to master. Could it be cleaned up? Sure. But it still looks much better than European cars (though Euros have us beat in terms of exterior styling).
Ya we're up to about 8,500 miles and have not had to go back to the dealer once since purchased in Nov. 2009. So far very happy with our first Honda vehicle.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

"Everything works together so flawlessly' - I was swayed by the way the car feels fully optimized in that every piece seems to fit with and work with the other. It does not dominate in any category except maybe design controversy but it has a gestalt to it that is non-verbal yet can be felt. In my opinion and in comparison to other cars I've driven including TL's. It's a focused machine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glashub
"Everything works together so flawlessly' - I was swayed by the way the car feels fully optimized in that every piece seems to fit with and work with the other. It does not dominate in any category except maybe design controversy but it has a gestalt to it that is non-verbal yet can be felt. In my opinion and in comparison to other cars I've driven including TL's. It's a focused machine.
Kind of like an Apple product!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RIneuron
Kind of like an Apple product!
Yep. I agree. Apple does that really well.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
A very balanced review....the few things I disagree with....

Styling: My vote would be 9.5 out of 10...but that is a very subjective area.

Performance: Here maybe we need to split the vote betweent he regular FWD TL and the AWD version.....for the latter I think it deserves a 9.5 or even a 10.

One expression I do not agree with is "While the 2011 Acura TL lays aim at some of the market's top sport sedans, it has very modest roots—essentially, building on the V-6 Honda Accord"

The Accord platform is anything but "modest"....I would say it is the sportier family sedan platform out there (double wishbone at the front, multilink at the back, front and rear subframes, etc...)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
A very balanced review....the few things I disagree with....

Styling: My vote would be 9.5 out of 10...but that is a very subjective area.

Performance: Here maybe we need to split the vote betweent he regular FWD TL and the AWD version.....for the latter I think it deserves a 9.5 or even a 10.

One expression I do not agree with is "While the 2011 Acura TL lays aim at some of the market's top sport sedans, it has very modest roots—essentially, building on the V-6 Honda Accord"

The Accord platform is anything but "modest"....I would say it is the sportier family sedan platform out there (double wishbone at the front, multilink at the back, front and rear subframes, etc...)

Grace is the Sexy Beast!!! The ride is intoxicating and exhilarating, the looks futuristic and innovative...

Last edited by compewterbleu; 01-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Post Odd Time 4 a 2011 Review but ....

So Long 2011 TL, We'll Miss U
Acura's Sport Sedan Attractive, w/ Just a Hint of Menace

An established favourite among the intermediate luxury car set, the Acura TL was last redesigned for the 2009 model year. The only major change since then has been the availability of a 6-speed manual transmission, which was brought back last year.

The 2011 Acura TL lineup now consists of 2 models: the base front-drive Acura TL with a 280 hp 3.5-litre V6 engine; and the Acura TL SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive), which has a newer 305 hp 3.7-litre V6 engine. A much revised (some would say toned-down) 2012 TL will be hitting Canadian showrooms March 18 with a starting price of $39,490, the same as this outgoing model.

Both engines on the 2011 model come standard with a 5-speed automatic, and the SH-AWD model is also available with the 6-speed manual (a same price option). My tester was the SH-AWD, but unfortunately didn't come with the manual transmission option.

It's so rare these days to get a big, powerful sedan with a manual that it's become an exotically attractive feature. Not that there's anything wrong with the TL's automatic gearbox, which not only comes with a sport driving mode but also sequential manual-mode paddle shifters located on the steering wheel.

Although the practice of slipping superlatives into the name of a product or a feature is a cheesy one, the TL's so-called "Super-Handling" All Wheel Drive system is an excellent system that was unique to this car. There are a number of copycat torque-vectoring systems out there today, and Acura has expanded use of the system to other models in its lineup.

My TL also came with a Technology Package, which is available on both models. This adds a navigation system with voice recognition, a surround-sound premium audio system, and keyless entry featuring push-button ignition.

The Acura navigation system's interface is an 8-inch high-resolution colour display that's exceptionally clear and very easy to use. Acura/ELS Surround is a 10-speaker, 440-watt premium sound system that includes DVD-audio, CD, DTS, AM/FM tuner, XM Radio and a hard disk drive (HDD) with storage for up to 2,500 songs.

THE LOOKS

The TL has a wide-body, hunkereddown stance of a sports car with 4 doors. Acura calls it a Motion Surface body design and describes the styling theme as an "emotional design with linear fluidity and a strong presence." Acura's signature wide V-shaped front grille assembly is flanked by its narrow band headlights that give the TL a somewhat menacing look. The SH-AWD model adds brake-cooling air ducts at the outside front corners. In the rear, the V theme is also reflected in the trunk design. The Technology Package also adds a rear spoiler and the SH-AWD model has cool-looking (and sounding) quad tailpipes.

THE INSIDE

The TL has a driver-focused interior with low slung sports car-like front bucket seats that offer excellent lateral support. The leather upholstery on my tester had exposed contrasting colour double-stitching that gave it a rich, high-quality appearance. The four-pod instrument panel has well shrouded, round conventional gauges.

Between a large tachometer and speedometer, the driver can display an interesting digital graphic that shows all-wheel-drive torque demand at each wheel. Even though the driver has no control of drive distribution, it's still interesting to see what's happening, especially in corners when the system takes corrective action to maintain stability.

There's enough room in the back for most passengers, although the extra tall ones may complain about head room. Split-folding seatbacks to expand cargo capacity are not offered, and while the trunk has decent capacity (13.1 cu.-ft), it's an odd and less-usable shape due to the space requirements for the rear suspension and all-wheel-drive components. A solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system also comes with automatic humidity control.

XM satellite radio, an iPod interface, and a Bluetooth cellphone link also come standard.

SAFETY

Crash-test ratings on the TL are excellent. Both the NHTSA and the IIHS give it their highest rating in all categories, including rollover. Add in the active safety factor that the allwheel-drive system can provide and you've got a very safe package.

THE DRIVE

The TL is a decidedly sporty sedan with enough performance to satisfy an enthusiast driver, while also offering the practicality of a sedan and a reasonable price tag. The driver sits fairly low with legs out front in a sports car-like driving position. Loved the big dead pedal for my left foot and the angry growl from the exhaust when you push down rapidly with the other foot on the gas pedal. The torque vectoring all-wheeldrive system performed brilliantly in that late taste of winter that the weather gods threw at us recently. Under normal conditions, it has a front bias, sending 90% of torque forward, but if needed can send up to 70% to the rear wheels. The rear differential can also send more power to an outside rear wheel in a corner, which helps the car rotate through a turn. It works in collaboration with all the stability control and advanced brake control systems to magically keep it on track. Even in normal "D" position the 5-speed auto is a crispshifting transmission. Slip the shift lever down a notch into the sport mode and it winds the engine up as it stays in a gear longer. You can use the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts while in "D", but it reverts back to auto mode fairly quickly.

The TL is certainly no slouch and was clocked at 6.8 seconds to 100 km/h when tested at the Canadian Car of the Year event in October. Its brakes were even more impressive, as they brought it to a halt in less than 39 metres from 100 km/h. At 110 km/h the 3.7-litre V6 engine only spins at about 2000 rpm. The long gearing pays off in a good highway fuel economy rating, but around town the rating (12.3 L/100km) is not great. Over the years, the TL has packed on some extra weight (don't we all!). The top-line version now tips the scales at 1603 kg (which is almost 4,000 lbs.) and that doesn't help fuel economy. It also gives the TL a more ponderous handling feel and it's nowhere near as nimble as its stablemate Acura TSX.

THE SCORE

The Acura TL is an attractively priced luxury sports sedan with bold styling and a responsive powertrain. The torque vectoring all-wheel drive system (SH-AWD) on the topline version is state-of-the-art, and a real plus in Canadian winter driving conditions.
THE SPECS

2011 Acura TL

Trim levels: TL & TL SH-AWD

Sticker Price: $39,490-$46,990

Power: 3.5-litre V6, 280 horsepower. 3.7-litre V6, 305 horsepower.

Transmission: 5-spd auto; 6-spd man

Fuel consumption (3.5L): 11.6/7.5 L/100 km (city/highway)

Fuel consumption (3.7L): 12.3/8.1 L/100 km (city/highway)

Basic Warranty: 4 yrs / 80,000 km

Powertrain Warranty: 5 yrs / 100,000 km

Rust Warranty: 5 yrs / unlimited km

THE COMPETITION

Cadillac CTS: $40,650 -$72,045

Chrysler 300: $32,995 -$41,995

Hyundai Genesis: $38,995 -$49,995

Infiniti G37: $38,690 -$47,640

Lexus ES350: $41,950 -$52,000

Lincoln MKZ: $38,399 -$42,199

Volvo S60: $45,450

Volvo S60: $45,450

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Post MontrealGazette

A Fond FareWell to the 2011 Acura TL
It will be difficult for much-revised 2012 model to go far enough to match outgoing car

An established favourite among the intermediate luxury car set, the Acura TL was last redesigned for the 2009 model year. The only major change since then has been the availability of a 6-speed manual transmission, which was brought back last year.

The 2011 Acura TL lineup now consists of 2 models: the base front-drive Acura TL with a 280 hp 3.5-litre V-6 engine; and the Acura TL SH-AWD (Super Handling AllWheel Drive), which has a newer 305 hp 3.7-litre V-6 engine. A much revised (some would say toned-down) 2012 TL hit Canadian showrooms last week with a starting price of $39,490, the same as this outgoing model.

Both engines on the 2011 model come standard with a 5-speed automatic,and the SH-AWD model is also available with the 6-speed manual (a same price option). My tester was the SH-AWD, but unfortunately didn't come with the manual transmission option.

It's so rare these days to get a big, powerful sedan with a manual that it's become an exotically-attractive feature. Not that there's anything wrong with the TL's automatic gearbox, which not only comes with a sport driving mode but also sequential manual-mode paddle shifters located on the steering wheel.

Although the practice of slipping superlatives into the name of a product or a feature is a cheesy one, the TL's so-called "Super-Handling" All Wheel Drive system is an excellent system that was unique to this car.

My TL also came with a Technology Package, which adds a navigation system with voice recognition, a surround-sound premium audio system, and keyless entry featuring push-button ignition.

The Acura navigation system's interface is an 8-inch high-resolution colour display that's exceptionally clear and very easy to use. Acura/ELS Surround is a 10-speaker, 440-watt premium sound system that includes DVD-audio, CD, DTS, AM/FM tuner, XM Radio and a hard disk drive (HDD) with storage for up to 2,500 songs.

THE LOOKS

The TL hasawide-body, hunkereddown stance of a sports car with 4 doors. Acura calls it a Motion Surface body design and describes the styling theme as an "emotional design with linear fluidity and a strong presence." Acura's signature wide V-shaped front grille assembly is flanked by its narrow band headlights that give the TL a somewhat menacing look. The SH-AWD model adds brake-cooling air ducts at the outside front corners. In the rear,the V theme is also reflected in the trunk design. The Technology Package also adds a rear spoiler and the SH-AWD model has cool-looking (and sounding) quad tailpipes.

THE INSIDE

The TLhas a driver-focused interior with low slung sports car-like front bucket seats that offer excellent lateral support. The leather upholstery on my tester had exposed contrasting colour double-stitching that gave it a rich, high-quality appearance.The 4-pod instrument panel has well shrouded, round conventional gauges.

Between a large tachometer and speedometer,the driver can display an interesting digital graphic that shows all-wheel-drive torque demand at each wheel. It's interesting to see what's happening, especially in corners when the system takes corrective action to maintain stability.

The re'senough room in the back for most passengers, although the extra tall ones may complain about head room. Split-folding seatbacks to expand cargo capacity are not offered, and while the trunk has decent capacity (13.1 cu.-ft), it's an odd and less-usable shape due to the space requirements for the rear suspension and all-wheel-drive components. A solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system also comes with automatic humidity control.

XM satellite radio, an iPod interface, and a Bluetooth cellphone link also come standard.

SAFETY

Crash-test ratings on the TL are excellent. Both the NHTSA and the IIHS give it their highest rating in all categories, including rollover. Add in the active safety factor that the all-wheel-drive system can provide and you've got a very safe package.

THE DRIVE

The TL is a decidedly sporty sedan with enough performance to satisfy an enthusiast driver, while also offering the practicality of a sedan and a reasonable price tag. The driver sits fairly low with legs out front in a sports car-like driving position. The torque vectoring allwheel-drive system performed brilliantly in that late taste of winter that the weather gods threw at us recently. Under normal conditions, it has a front bias, sending 90% of torque forward, butifneeded can send up to 70% to the rear wheels. The rear differential can also send morepowertoanoutside rear wheel in a corner, which helps the car rotate through a turn. It works in collaboration with all the stability control and advanced brake control systems to magically keep it on track. Even in normal "D" position the 5-speed auto is a crisp-shifting transmission. Slip the shift lever down a notch into the sport mode and it winds the engine up as it stays in a gear longer. You can use the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts while in "D", butitrevertstoauto mode fairly quickly.

The TL is certainly no slouch and was clocked at 6.8 seconds to 100 km/h when tested at the Canadian Car of the Year event in October. Its brakes were even more impressive, as they brought it to a halt in less than 39 metres from 100 km/h. At 110 km/h the 3.7-litre V-6 engine only spins at about 2000 r.p.m. The long gearing pays off in a good highway fuel economy rating, but around town the rating (12.3 L/100km) is not great. Over the years, the TL has packed on some extra weight (don't we all!). The top-line version now tips the scales at 1603 kilograms and that doesn't help fuel economy. It also means the TL is nowhere near as nimble as its stablemate Acura TSX.

THE SCORE

The Acura TL is an attractively priced luxury sports sedan with bold styling and a responsive powertrain. The torque vectoring all-wheel drive system (SH-AWD) on the topline version is state-of-theart, and areal plus in Canadian winter driving conditions.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Nice
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced

I think everything they said about it was true.....good to see the focus on the mechanical and technical aspects of the car rather that the reviewers bias come into play becasue they personnally don't like the design
Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Post WindingRoad

Any of you that read the monthly instantiation of Winding Road’s digital magazine, are likely to have digested your author’s wide-ranging diatribe about the styling of this new-for-2012 Acura TL. For those of you that haven’t (and who aren’t interested in following the link above), we’ll summarize by saying that the styling of the new TL is decidedly more mainstream than the outgoing model, if a little less daring. Beyond that we’ll leave comment of the car’s new exterior design up to you, after perusing our gallery of images, in the “comments” section, below. Have at it.

With the argument about the TL’s reskin thusly pawned off, it remains to be said that this is, mechanically, a car that is very similar to the model that you have been able to buy for the last few years. That’s almost entirely a good thing, we think, as the TL has been providing, albeit somewhat under the radar, a fine alternative to German mid-size luxury cars for some time now. We don’t make that statement lightly, either, as the competition in question is quite good, and Acura’s reputation is, at best, a bit confused in the minds of many buyers/drivers these days.

So, short of the not-to-be-mentioned-again nose job (last one, promise), what’s new for 2012? The biggest change for the driver is a new 6-speed automatic transmission, which can be operated via the same wheel-mounted paddle shifters found in the last version (or via the central gearlever, if you prefer). We found the action of the sixer autobox to be relatively rapid and good to use, though not entirely different in a back-road situation than the 5-speed affair that preceded it. The big wins for the new transmission are a slightly more refined (meaning quiet) character on the highway, and better fuel economy.

The added mpgs are more significant for the 3.5-liter V-6 engine, than they are for the 3.7-liter motor found in the SH-AWD, though. The smaller engine gets a host of tricky friction-reducing technologies, in addition to a revised intake system, to garner economy ratings of 20/29 miles per gallon, in the city and on the highway, respectively. That highway number represents a gain of 3 mpg over the 2010 car. The 305-horsepower 3.7-liter, meanwhile, only nets 1 extra mpg for both city and highway driving (18/26 mpg total). For reference, the lighter, smaller BMW 335i xDrive is rated at 17 mpg in the city and 27 on the highway when equipped with the six-speed automatic.

And that BMW comparison is apt, we think, given that the TL remains Acura’s very best driver’s car, and a good 1, at that. Focusing almost all of our time and energies toward driving the larger-engined SH-AWD version of the TL, we came away with the renewed opinion that car is an enthusiast gem that deserves more of a share of the spotlight.

2 winters ago we were able to test, and then testify to the abilities of Acura’s AWD system in very adverse conditions, but our trip to Texas this time proved that SH-AWD is most fun in the dry. With an aggressive route plotted though Austin’s aptly named “hill country," we pushed the grippy TL over tight and winding roads that do a passable impression of SoCal’s vaunted canyon fare. With a lot of tight cornering and elevation change to push through, we were basically never able to force the TL into giving up its super-sucker grip on the road. Certainly the 245-cross-section Goodyear Eagle tires had a lot to do with that stickiness (that’s the width of tire for every TL model, front- and all-wheel-drive, by the way), but the torque-vectoring system was an absolute wonder in keeping power flowing to the right wheel, too. Mid-corner, no matter the speed, we had the sensation of being pulled around the apex, rather than the sort of controlled, sliding, loss of traction that is the norm a these velocities. It’s probably important to note then, that those who simply prefer the looser, less controlled experience of a well-balanced rear-driver won’t be in some way “fooled” by the SH-AWD experience. The system wants only to maximize grip at speed, and doesn’t mess with trying to impersonate a rear-wheel-drive car.

Even with the relative heaviness of the all-wheel-drive system taken into account, the TL manages to feel a lot smaller than it is. To start, much of the mass of the 3900-pound car is disguised by low-effort steering that is exceptionally responsive. The car’s willingness to rotate is exaggerated (in a positive way) by the fast-acting nature of turn-in. And, while many drivers don’t care for the artificial feeling created by a highly boosted power steering setup, the TL’s lightweight action doesn’t server to remove 1 too much from the experience while at speed. Still, it would be nice if the weighting were more natural here. Volume of steering inputs from the tires and road are pretty average for the class—you won’t get much more information from a BMW, or much less from an Audi. Still, many people equate high-effort steering with being “premium,” which is how the German companies often win enthusiasts to their cause.

We experienced the same very well balanced ride/handling profile that we’d come to expect from the last TL, with what could be appropriately labeled as a “medium-firm” ride for this class of car. There’s more feedback, and less cosseting from the suspension than you’d find in mid-sizers from Lexus (or Toyota, for that matter), though we didn’t experience the sort of racecar firmness we’ve come to expect from true performance sedans like the M3, or the S4. Clearly this kind of tuning is aimed more at the sport-seeking driver than the luxury-seeking 1.

A similar ethos can be seen and felt in the cabin of the TL, which remains exactly as we remember it. That means an upscale blend of leather and metal finishes, along with the very serious-looking, but ultimately easy-to-use central stack. There are loads of buttons to be found here, but the combination of steering wheel controls and voice controls make it pretty easy to keep one’s focus on the road ahead. We also found the seats remarkably supportive and comfortable, though drivers that are slightly skinnier than us may want for thicker bolsters (or better control of the existing bolsters). By and large we felt properly ensconced, but without sacrificing forward visibility.

And, though we had far too little time with the one test car made available on this trip, we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention that Acura is bringing back the manual-transmission-equipped SH-AWD model for 2012. If we could, we’d wave our magic wand and make every enthusiast-leaning shopper of the mid-size premium segment take a test drive in this cog-swapping dream. The transmission is good enough to be transformative in a car that is already plenty fun to drive—short of throw, with smooth, substantial action between gears and almost inerrant precision—and we certainly applaud Acura for making it available again. Mark our words: very few of these will end up being sold, and the stick-shift TL SH-AWD will become a cult classic.

When we reviewed the 2009 TL, we were pushed to compare it closely to the BMW 3-Series, both because of the close pricing and the car’s smaller handling abilities. It’s probably fair to mention, though, the this TL is actually in the size/horsepower class as cars like the A6 3.0T and BMW 535i xDrive, despite being stickered at thousands of dollars less. That’s a dollar/content relationship that we think works out very well for Acura, and one that should be getting more attention.

Redesign? What redesign?
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD 6AT
Engine: V-6, 3.7 liters, 24v
Output: 305 hp/273 lb-ft
0-60 MPH: 5.6 sec (est)
Weight: 3968 lb
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 18/26 mpg
Base Price: $39,155
On Sale: Now
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Like this review...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Exclamation Blast

Posted it in 2011 instead of 2012 ... why did they have to release models w/in like 3 or 4 months of each other ....
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

I just picked up my 2011 last night trading in my 2004. I'm loving the car with the exception of the front grill but can't have everything.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mkurpicski
I just picked up my 2011 last night trading in my 2004. I'm loving the car with the exception of the front grill but can't have everything.
The front grill is fixable though
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Pimp Master T

Its so weird how many people complain about the front grill, I love it. I could have waited for the 12, but I find it too subdued. Loving the aggressive look. Good thing too, cause it saved me on my purchase as the deals are much better on the 11's.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
10th Gear

IMO the color of the TL depends if I like the grill. If its a light color, white or silver the grill doesnt look so bad, the darker color TL grill is more noticeable. A lot of people are painting the grills the color of the car so it doesnt stand out as much. They look real nice