2010 TL SH-AWD - Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 TL SH-AWD - Seeking Advice

Beginning to make some cosmetic modifications to my TL and would appreciate any experiences re:
-tinting the rear bumper reflectors... (use window tint?)
-my grill has been painted black but chips easily. considering a Ron Jon. Thoughts?
-the 'hats' on my front / rear brakes (I installed slotted & drilled) are rusted. are they paintable?
-can the calipers be painted? they are also rusting
-what are the best mufflers in terms of increasing performance and moderately increasing the exhaust note?

**I have a 8 year / 96k warranty and want to keep in in-tact**

Lastly, while I love the performance of the SH-AWD, I miss my 08 Type S. Wish I could have them both.

-Larry / Elk Grove Village IL
Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Lschweitz69 Congrats on the new car!

-tinting the rear bumper reflectors... (use window tint?) I recommend contacting "Blue Batmobile" he is a vendor on this forum that sells overlays.

-my grill has been painted black but chips easily. considering a Ron Jon. Thoughts? You can go with the Ron Jon front grill, but I think it still needs to be painted. ATLP sells OE 4G TL grills painted, but cost was a bit much for me. I know there are a few other options out there, but they're more special fabricated applications.

-the 'hats' on my front / rear brakes (I installed slotted & drilled) are rusted. are they paintable? Sorry, not sure what 'hats' are, but you can paint your rotors with high temp paint and calipers too. Just do the proper prep work to make sure it holds up to the abuse.

-what are the best mufflers in terms of increasing performance and moderately increasing the exhaust note? I haven't done any exhaust work on my TL yet, but there are a lot of ideas in the 4G Performance section.
The following 2 users liked this post by AcuraIntegTL:
Blue Batmobile (07-27-2014), Lschweitz69 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Welcome to AZ and good luck with your TL
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
-what are the best mufflers in terms of increasing performance and moderately increasing the exhaust note?

as far as performance, i would say none lol.. but for exhaust note get either atlp or xlr8
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Try contacting Nexson for getting your grill painted.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
Nexson is the effing man...
and a nice guy, to boot.
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Guise, let's keep the ramblings stuff out of the model forums pleaseeeee.
Brock79 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Lschweitz69, after spending more time driving the AWD TL, I'll assure you that you won't miss your 3G TL ever again, especially in the wet and snow.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^x2 on the wet and snow car does amazing ... but there are days i still reminisce about her, will prob pick another one up when depreciation hits them some more
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL

-tinting the rear bumper reflectors... (use window tint?) I recommend contacting "Blue Batmobile" he is a vendor on this forum that sells overlays.

-my grill has been painted black but chips easily. considering a Ron Jon. Thoughts? You can go with the Ron Jon front grill, but I think it still needs to be painted. ATLP sells OE 4G TL grills painted, but cost was a bit much for me. I know there are a few other options out there, but they're more special fabricated applications.

-the 'hats' on my front / rear brakes (I installed slotted & drilled) are rusted. are they paintable? Sorry, not sure what 'hats' are, but you can paint your rotors with high temp paint and calipers too. Just do the proper prep work to make sure it holds up to the abuse.

-what are the best mufflers in terms of increasing performance and moderately increasing the exhaust note? I haven't done any exhaust work on my TL yet, but there are a lot of ideas in the 4G Performance section.
Hit me up for Overlays

B@t™
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my experience, I tinted out my rear reflectors on my 2013 as well as my rear tail lights with the reverse lights cut out. I took off my tail light tint later on and just went with the rear reflectors. I noticed it looks a lot cleaner without the tint. The one thing about the tint is that over time, the edges will start to peel from washing or natural weathering. I believe I had mine on for about 5 months.

However, it is your choice to mod your car the way you want so I'll leave it at that. (Unless you already know how it would look, I would tape black paper over the reflector and see how it looks first)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

B@t
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
In speaking with a body shop, they told me it's a terrible idea to paint those grills due to the material it's made of. It's a smooth plastic which paint will not stick to easily, making it very prone to chipping/cracking easily - it won't last. So I have no idea what approach I can take in this regard. I also don't like the design of the Ron Jon grill. I may be the only one who thinks it's ugly. Ideas?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
In speaking with a body shop, they told me it's a terrible idea to paint those grills due to the material it's made of. It's a smooth plastic which paint will not stick to easily, making it very prone to chipping/cracking easily - it won't last. So I have no idea what approach I can take in this regard. I also don't like the design of the Ron Jon grill. I may be the only one who thinks it's ugly. Ideas?
Reach out to Nexson. He does a great job painting the grilles and to the best of my knowledge they hold up well (he's perfected the process so the paint sticks). He also has an exchange program where he ships you the painted grille and you ship yours back, so you're not without one for any period of time.

Just keep in mind that no paint job (aftermarket or OEM) will hold up to rock chips on the highway. Since I am on the highway for 50 miles a day I'm actually going back to vinyl...my painted grille has taken a beating over the years. Fortunately my TL is CBP the black matches nicely and you can't even tell it's vinyl.
Nexson (10-14-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I actually saw another grigio metallic TL with the grill and rear boomerang wrapped with matte black vinyl, and the door trim wrapped with gloss black vinyl. I actually thought it looked great altogether even contrasting with the paint.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Reach out to Nexson. He does a great job painting the grilles and to the best of my knowledge they hold up well (he's perfected the process so the paint sticks). He also has an exchange program where he ships you the painted grille and you ship yours back, so you're not without one for any period of time.
This. I just did the exchange with Nexson and the color match is simply awesome. The guy does fantastic work and it looks so much better now. Mine is grigio and I had the front grille trim painted while leaving the beak unchanged, and also had the boomerang in the back painted to match as well. Now the car looks the way it should have from the factory. Totally thrilled with the quality of the work
Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
^^^^^

Pics please.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Pics please.
i haven't seen anyone get the grille painted by Nexson who has a WhiteDP. White is by far the hardest to colour match because of slight yellowing with the clear coat. So I'm a bit skeptical.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Pics please.
I'll try to get some tomorrow. It's dark and my car needs a wash first
Nexson (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
i haven't seen anyone get the grille painted by Nexson who has a WhiteDP. White is by far the hardest to colour match because of slight yellowing with the clear coat. So I'm a bit skeptical.
its tough to get right because the bumper doesn't match the fenders or hood. I usually put a little more pearl on the bottom of the grille to "yellow" it out to match the yellow-ness of the bumper.

They are a pain though. I have painted a few in that color, not the most popular.