2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It may be annoying, but kinda going backwards, though, is't it?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmahh
I'm going to assume the new TL will no longer have touch screen nav, which I love

That would be such a shame, touchscreen or no screen I say!
That's the one thing I hate about "other" companies nav, is the lack of Touch-Screen... Why oh why is Acura going away from that?!?!?!

Looks like I may have to get that new STI, afterall....
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Converted
That's the one thing I hate about "other" companies nav, is the lack of Touch-Screen... Why oh why is Acura going away from that?!?!?!

Looks like I may have to get that new STI, afterall....
The reason why Acura is going away with touch screen Nav is because they want drivers to keep their eyes on the road. By moving the screen further up on the dash, drivers can still see the screen and the road at the same time. Touch screens have to be closer to the driver so they can "Touch" it, meaning drivers have to look down and away from the road. Maintenance issues is a problem also. when we trade in our touch screen vehicles, apparently new screens have to be put in because no one wants to buy a worn down screen from the previous owner. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with their touch screens going bad, but hey, I guess it's happening to some folks.

This is what I was told by a sales manager at an Acura dealer when the new MDX and RDX came out. I asked why no more touch screens, and that is what I was told. Sorry guys, I love my touch screen just like the rest you, but it's going away. The driver keeping their eyes on the road story made sense to me, but not the maintenance one. Dealers really don't care about used vehicles that they sell, and I find it hard to believe that they go through the trouble of replacing touch screens, unless it's clearly faulty and they have no choice.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Touch screen, no touch screen...meh...just another mod waiting to happen is all...no biggie...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nore03
I'm kinda confused as to why everyone is thinking that the TL and the RL can't coexist with each other. The IS and GS seem to do fine and the G and M seem to do fine. All they have to do is continue to offer things in the RL that you can't get in the TL and offer a bigger engine for the RL. If they market both of the cars properly then they will be perfectly fine. I should work for Acura i would give you guys everything you wanted and bring them to the top of the list.
Vehicles within the same line of a company shouldn't "coexist" with one another because one vehicle will steal sales from the other. The TL compares very well to the RL and that's not a good thing for Acura, there has to be better seperation between the two. All the cars that you mentioned above, there is no comparison between the two. You can't seriously compare the IS to the GS, or the G to the M.
Would you compare a 3 Series to the 5? No way!

There is supposed to be a clear difference in your products. This is a problem that Acura now realizes and they're trying to fix it. Sure, us Acura owners know what the differences are, but the general public doesn't. Ask any Acura dealer and they will tell you that the TL steals sales away from the RL because the average person don't feel the differences between the two are worth the price. Throw in the fact that the TL looks better than the RL and well.....there you have it!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Acura Sales

Originally Posted by AzNDoRk42
oh and soppossedly the price tag on the SH-AWD model will be in the 40's, couldn't get anymore out of my guys than that
I have no idea on price but regardless all I was doing is passing along info. I can tell you this we have already ordered 11 TSX's. And they will be here on April 24th 2008. We will be getting a re-desinged RL the following month. And Sept 2008 is the date for the TL. Our dealership just went through validation, and our Acura reps told passed this to us when they came here.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually i love my touch screen also and thought i could never get used to the new system but i can tell u this.....it's much better and much faster. The touch screen sometimes has a delay which u will never get in the new system. Once we started selling the new accords....operating the navi is a synch and i cant wait to get the new TL with the new NAV. BTW its directly in your line of sight with the road so it is in fact safer.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

alright, so, just in case you guys haven't seen this but here's the link regarding the new I-DTEC engine, some of you might be disappointed

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ETROITAUTOSHOW

and i'm not sure if this is true but it's RUMORED that the RL is skipping the V-8 and moving onto a V-10
also, something i did hear about the reason RL sales suck is because Acura wasn't sure which body they would use to make the TL and RL, that's why they're both so close in size, the next RL will hopefully do much better

there's also talking about bringing the S2K back, in the acura line with a V-6, that sounded like it would be nice

and about the TL, it's soppossed to be an OPTIONAL SH-AWD system, of course with a higher price tag, probably going to be the Type-s, i think the regular models are going to be just front wheel drive( disappointing, should be ATLEAST a RWD )
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acurasales1
I have no idea on price but regardless all I was doing is passing along info. I can tell you this we have already ordered 11 TSX's. And they will be here on April 24th 2008. We will be getting a re-desinged RL the following month. And Sept 2008 is the date for the TL. Our dealership just went through validation, and our Acura reps told passed this to us when they came here.

Yea, we just ordered some ourselves, but what i'm trying to figure out is when the hell the next ride n drive is going to be, hopefully they start posting in the IN soon
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ac Man
The reason why Acura is going away with touch screen Nav is because they want drivers to keep their eyes on the road. By moving the screen further up on the dash, drivers can still see the screen and the road at the same time. Touch screens have to be closer to the driver so they can "Touch" it, meaning drivers have to look down and away from the road. Maintenance issues is a problem also. when we trade in our touch screen vehicles, apparently new screens have to be put in because no one wants to buy a worn down screen from the previous owner. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with their touch screens going bad, but hey, I guess it's happening to some folks.

This is what I was told by a sales manager at an Acura dealer when the new MDX and RDX came out. I asked why no more touch screens, and that is what I was told. Sorry guys, I love my touch screen just like the rest you, but it's going away. The driver keeping their eyes on the road story made sense to me, but not the maintenance one. Dealers really don't care about used vehicles that they sell, and I find it hard to believe that they go through the trouble of replacing touch screens, unless it's clearly faulty and they have no choice.

my excuse when i tell people why acura has taken away the touch screen is because it's unreliable, if you pull up the keyboard, and try to press A, you can usually accidently hit the S key next to it( therefore unsafe) but i like you reasoning too, except that maintence part, which sounds ridiculous
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my excuse when i tell people why acura has taken away the touch screen is because it's unreliable, if you pull up the keyboard, and try to press A, you can usually accidently hit the S key next to it( therefore unsafe) but i like you reasoning too, except that maintence part, which sounds ridiculous

sounds like you need to recalibrate your screen.. mine works great
Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

nah, u know how small the keyboard is, i hit the letter next to it from time to time, and all my clients who have the same system do agree when i say that about the screen
Old 01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Pro

I just love ride and drives!!! Im on the Honda side tho but there still fun!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

you should have seen me at the ride and drive with the new MDX, funny as hell, i put that thing into a power slide on the first turn... HAHAHA, made it perfectly around, but i scared the snot out of the chick i was riding with
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Pro

you should have seen me at the ride and drive with the new MDX, funny as hell, i put that thing into a power slide on the first turn... HAHAHA, made it perfectly around, but i scared the snot out of the chick i was riding with
The civic si ride and drive was the best for me! A lot of people there couldnt drive stick so it was just a few of us taking turns in it!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

sad, what i'm really hoping for is the TL sh-awd ride n drive, and i pray it's going to be a 6sp manual
Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 AM
The closet is for wimps

I have to say.. the spy pics have piqued my interest in the 4G TL. It's definitely on my comparison list for the next vehicle... the new TSX, too.

Having said that, though, I do love my current TL. It's the first car I've owned that didn't leave me lusting for something bigger and better feature or performance-wise. Sure, a BMW 3-series would be better handling, etc. but that's not worth it to me if the price of admission is the somewhat awkward styling vis-a-vis the TL. The TL is perfectly styled, from every angle.. I can't say that of the 3-series.

Side note: I'm loving the switch to synthetic oil, too. It's made starting the car during this witch's-teet of a Wisconsin winter a breeze by comparison.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Does anyone know whether the the 2009 TL "concept" will be shown at the New York Auto Show in April?

That was the case in 2003 (when the "wiperless" TL Concept debuted), but I believe the TSX was already in production. Right now the TSX has only been shown in European Accord Tourer [wagon] livery.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lindros2
Does anyone know whether the the 2009 TL "concept" will be shown at the New York Auto Show in April?

That was the case in 2003 (when the "wiperless" TL Concept debuted), but I believe the TSX was already in production. Right now the TSX has only been shown in European Accord Tourer [wagon] livery.
I certainly hope so. I never miss the NYIAS.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lindros2

It's being held in March . March 19 - 21 (Press) March 22 through the 30th (Public)

http://www.autoshowny.com/

I'm counting the days.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Instructor

well they showed the 3G TL there last time so lets cross our fingers. Yeah, based on the spy pics, it looks more upscale with a couple like design.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
it better look good. I hope they dont use much from the new MDX look.

I hate that fucking grill
Old 01-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ I agree 100%

They have a lot of competition to go up against, but hopefully being the one "late in the game" will work to their advantage. They already know what Merc, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus have to offer, and there won't be any new models in their line-up for a while.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Pro

Judging by the looks of the new TSX (euro accord)....i think the new grill is a given. I honestly dont think it looks bad at all though. Im pretty sure acura wont anything but improve it's best seller.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
it better look good. I hope they dont use much from the new MDX look.

I hate that fucking grill
I agree, but I think it's almost definite that that will be the grille. It's already on the MDX, and I have a feeling it will turn into Acura's corporate face.

But, as darksom said, its just another mod waiting to happen
Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I personally like the MDX grille. I don't think they'll make to much drastic changes to their best seller. Most of the changes will be on performance and gadgets.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

the grill reminds me of a fly trap, one of the first MDX test drives i did with a client, i found a mosquito stuck in one of the little groove ^_^
Old 01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

I think the grill will dip more and they will use more chrome, the TSX is supposed to come out first in the spring, so I'm sure we'll get some idea from that.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttribe
I agree with both your speculation and your sentiment on this. All of Honda's recent models with nav seem to have gone away from the touch screen. I, for one, really prefer the touch screen on my nav. I think it will be a shame.

Agreed...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
I think the grill will dip more and they will use more chrome, the TSX is supposed to come out first in the spring, so I'm sure we'll get some idea from that.
I really hope they use more chrome this time around and not that cheap aluminum/tin looking trim. How are you trying to give off an image of luxury with aluminum trimming for the grill and licsense plate trim? The same can be said for the interior, I love the current interior, and apparently, so does Caddillac being that the new CTS's center console stack looks very similar to the TL's. But I hope there will be more wood and chrome trimming inside, and no more Aluminum!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

woah woah

if you guys want chrome go get a bmw, an accord, or bmw. the tl has done so well simply because it doesnt look tacky like all those other cars with the chrome trim and chrome handles. the tl is very elegant looking and has class. nobody wants all that shiny chrome everywhere, the tl has done superb with sales for a reason, and if it were to have chrome slapped all over it, it would no longer appeal to many of the people looking to buy a new car.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Question Television Ads New describing the new TL as having SH-AWD

Gentlemen,

Its be a long, long time since I have posted on the forum, but
to make a long story short, we get Channel 4 out of Detroit as a provider
of HDTV feed to our Cable Provider. The other evening there was an ad for Acura on this channel wherein they were touting the TL as coming with SH-AWD (they did not specify year, but used what I would presume to be a 2008 TL in the add.) Now as Acura was a sponser of the NAIAS, they were using this add to promote their SH-AWD equipped cars, and had an MDX and RDX in this add also. No RL tough.???

Can anyone confirm or deny this ad?

Thanks....

TL42
Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by madddog32
if you guys want chrome go get a bmw, an accord, or bmw. the tl has done so well simply because it doesnt look tacky like all those other cars with the chrome trim and chrome handles. the tl is very elegant looking and has class. nobody wants all that shiny chrome everywhere, the tl has done superb with sales for a reason, and if it were to have chrome slapped all over it, it would no longer appeal to many of the people looking to buy a new car.

Chrome trim doesn't have to look tacky especilally if it done right and not over done.
Besides I have seen some of the TSX,s with Chrome door handles that look tasteful. It's a personal choice and usually a dealer option. Yes the TL is elegant but it's more than just looking great that have made it's sales numbers so good.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cable2
Chrome trim doesn't have to look tacky especilally if it done right and not over done.
Besides I have seen some of the TSX,s with Chrome door handles that look tasteful. It's a personal choice and usually a dealer option. Yes the TL is elegant but it's more than just looking great that have made it's sales numbers so good.
Actually, its sales numbers are not that good.
I do not hope Acura follows the recent trend of the gaudy grilles. I think Chrysler and Audi are in a race to make the biggest. Must be cheaper than paint
Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I predict the next TL will keep the name "TL".
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, this is what I heard this week(actually late last week). I live in Ohio, that's all I'm going to say on the matter, so don't even ask.

The front grill will be quite different from the one now, resembling a 2 piece kind of shark nose. I am going by a verbal description, not an actual sighting by me. My source also said that the trunk lid will resemble that of the new Cadillac.
When I heard these descriptions, the first thing I thought was "OH, NO!", but the source says it looks awesome.
I can't offer any more than that, but the information is valid.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
OK, this is what I heard this week(actually late last week). I live in Ohio, that's all I'm going to say on the matter, so don't even ask.

The front grill will be quite different from the one now, resembling a 2 piece kind of shark nose. I am going by a verbal description, not an actual sighting by me. My source also said that the trunk lid will resemble that of the new Cadillac.
When I heard these descriptions, the first thing I thought was "OH, NO!", but the source says it looks awesome.
I can't offer any more than that, but the information is valid.
Did the source in or around marysville tell u when it will be debuted?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Instructor

lol. looks kinda ugly imo
Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Did the source in or around marysville tell u when it will be debuted?
I didn't say that
They've been coming off the assembly line for about 4-6 months, so it shouldn't be long now.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here