08 or 09 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 or 09 TL

I posted this under the 3G group and am curious to see if I get a different prospective from the 4G.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a new TL for a couple of months now. I test drove the 08 and the 09-Tech back to back this afternoon. Overall, I liked the ride and handling of the 09 better but I'm having trouble getting past the looks (maybe it will grow on me). My main concern about the 09 is that the navi works off of a hard drive. I work in IT and know how often hard drives fail. Does anyone else have a concern about this? I need to make a decision soon because the dealer only has one 08 with navi that is not a demo. The other issue with the 08 is that it is silver (my second choice) and I would prefer black but nobody in the Baltimore Washington area has black. Should I go for the silver 08 or buy the 09 and hope the style grows on me? Any words of wisdom?

One other thing... I will be selling my 02 with very low mileage. How hard to you think it will be to sell the 02 given the economy?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, since I own a 4G, my response is obviously biased, but ultimately, it's your money and nobody should tell you what to do with it.....esp. for such a large purchase such as a new car. That being said, you probably will get a better deal on a '08 since it's now the "old" design.....but for the next couple years, will you be happy driving the "old" body style? As far as the HDD-based Navi, I don't know any case where the drives failed.....it's possible but these systems have been around for several years now and given Acura's impecible record of reliability, I wouldn't be worried. Besides, HDD-based Navi's are much faster and easier to update than the old disc-type. I initially wasn't too thrilled with the design either, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, and now that I've had the car for a while now, the positives far outweigh any concerns I've had with the radical styling....and I get rave reviews from other drivers everywhere I go.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
This is actually a very interesting question. I got my '08 TSX for $9,000 off MSRP because it was the 2nd last one on the lot (this was back in the summer), and they had launched the 2nd generation TSX. I actually wanted the 1st gen body because I want the car to blend in and not be so noticeable. Sometimes, you just want to go from point A to point B without everybody trying to goad you into racing or whatever. It's nice to be inconspicuous once in a while.

In short, if you want to blend in (and probably save a bundle in the process), the 3G's the way to go. If you like everybody gawking and mouthing the words, "what is THAT?", get the 4G.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
This is actually a very interesting question. I got my '08 TSX for $9,000 off MSRP because it was the 2nd last one on the lot (this was back in the summer), and they had launched the 2nd generation TSX. I actually wanted the 1st gen body because I want the car to blend in and not be so noticeable. Sometimes, you just want to go from point A to point B without everybody trying to goad you into racing or whatever. It's nice to be inconspicuous once in a while.

In short, if you want to blend in (and probably save a bundle in the process), the 3G's the way to go. If you like everybody gawking and mouthing the words, "what is THAT?", get the 4G.

Smart move getting TSX at that price.

Personally, I don't care what people think about my car but sometimes when they potentially think "What is THAT?", its not a good thing especially with the awkward design throughout the 09 Acura Lineup (minus the RDX and MDX of course, those look good).
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 PM
10th Gear

I had the same dilemma as you. I really like the 08 style better and the dealer was offering me the Type-S for $34k in the color that I wanted. I thought about it hard and long and decided on the 09. My reaction to the 09 was like everyone else...didn't like the front grill. But it has grown on me. I picked up mine today and I'm glad that I made the choice I did. So my advice to you is get exactly what you want! You will regret your decision later if you begin to settle.

As far as the HDD, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just as PetesTL said, with the impeccible reliability of Acura, I'm sure the the HDD will be able to withstand all of the elements thrown at it. Furthermore, IMO the HDs you replace at work get abused everyday, all day. My job is a 24/7 operation and someone is always sitting at the computer pecking away at it. The HD in the Acura will not have to withstand the same abuse as a computer's HD.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Midnite-Magic
I had the same dilemma as you. I really like the 08 style better and the dealer was offering me the Type-S for $34k in the color that I wanted. I thought about it hard and long and decided on the 09. My reaction to the 09 was like everyone else...didn't like the front grill. But it has grown on me. I picked up mine today and I'm glad that I made the choice I did. So my advice to you is get exactly what you want! You will regret your decision later if you begin to settle.

As far as the HDD, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just as PetesTL said, with the impeccible reliability of Acura, I'm sure the the HDD will be able to withstand all of the elements thrown at it. Furthermore, IMO the HDs you replace at work get abused everyday, all day. My job is a 24/7 operation and someone is always sitting at the computer pecking away at it. The HD in the Acura will not have to withstand the same abuse as a computer's HD.
Hey, Congrats on your car Midnite-Magic! Good choice on the color!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 AM
10th Gear

Thanks PeteTL. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't expecting to get it so soon...I couldn't walk away from the deal. I hope to have some pictures up before the end of the weekend.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Midnite-Magic
Thanks PeteTL. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't expecting to get it so soon...I couldn't walk away from the deal. I hope to have some pictures up before the end of the weekend.
Well, it's a nice early X-mas present for yourself. Looking forward to those pics.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rhiannon1207
I posted this under the 3G group and am curious to see if I get a different prospective from the 4G.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a new TL for a couple of months now. I test drove the 08 and the 09-Tech back to back this afternoon. Overall, I liked the ride and handling of the 09 better but I'm having trouble getting past the looks (maybe it will grow on me). My main concern about the 09 is that the navi works off of a hard drive. I work in IT and know how often hard drives fail. Does anyone else have a concern about this? I need to make a decision soon because the dealer only has one 08 with navi that is not a demo. The other issue with the 08 is that it is silver (my second choice) and I would prefer black but nobody in the Baltimore Washington area has black. Should I go for the silver 08 or buy the 09 and hope the style grows on me? Any words of wisdom?

One other thing... I will be selling my 02 with very low mileage. How hard to you think it will be to sell the 02 given the economy?

Thanks!
My take is you have to really LOVE the car you spend that much money on. There are things about the 4G I like, I have owned 5 3G TLs, but the looks do not turn me on, and no amount of "growing on me" is going to make me LOVE a 4G. I LOVE my 3G and look back at it every day when I get out of it and lock it. Sure some of the features of a 4G are appealing, but the car does not turn me on. Congrats to those that bought a 4G and like it. You can get great deals ona 3G especially if you can find a Type-S. Also remember the 09 4G is a year one car and Honda/Acura are notorious for lots of minor issues. I owned a year one 3G and really have no desire to go through that again!
In the end YOU have to be happy with your decision. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Racer

Keep in mind also that with the money you are saving on the 08, it will almost cancel itself out when it's time to sell your 09 model. It's a year old now and it's the old style, which will probably account for about 3-4 G's less than the '09 when trading in or selling privately.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Keep in mind also that with the money you are saving on the 08, it will almost cancel itself out when it's time to sell your 09 model. It's a year old now and it's the old style, which will probably account for about 3-4 G's less than the '09 when trading in or selling privately.

Great point, Craig. (With so much aggressive price cutting on new 3G's now, it's scary to think what the car will be worth in 1 year or in 3 years......I don't envy you 3G owners thinking about selling your car).
Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
In a few years, these current 5-speed, buck-toothed, bloated-butt, low mpg, 2-ton, chrome-filled TLs will be collecting dust on dealer lots until they mark them down to make them move. And even then you will still be stuck with the Rosie O'Donnell of sedans. There is no price you can put on that.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PetesTL
it's scary to think what the car will be worth in 1 year or in 3 years......I don't envy you 3G owners thinking about selling your car).

This from the man who just wasted...I mean spent about $4000 to trade in a car that was 3 weeks old. Duh.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ownaccord
In a few years, these current 5-speed, buck-toothed, bloated-butt, low mpg, 2-ton, chrome-filled TLs will be collecting dust on dealer lots until they mark them down to make them move. And even then you will still be stuck with the Rosie O'Donnell of sedans. There is no price you can put on that.
Spoken like a true hater.....and a troll.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

This from the man who just wasted...I mean spent about $4000 to trade in a car that was 3 weeks old. Duh.
Boy you have some serious issues if you care this much about how I spend my own frickin money. Now go run along and enjoy your Accord before you hurt yourself. (and it was $3K, not $4K......if you're gonna troll, get your facts straight, moron).
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
10th Gear

Boy you have some serious issues if you care this much about how I spend my own frickin money. Now go run along and enjoy your Accord before you hurt yourself. (and it was $3K, not $4K......if you're gonna troll, get your facts straight, moron).
He takes the bait every time...

How is Rosie running these days? Or did you decide it wasn't ugly enough and traded it in on an RL?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Great point, Craig. (With so much aggressive price cutting on new 3G's now, it's scary to think what the car will be worth in 1 year or in 3 years......I don't envy you 3G owners thinking about selling your car).
I have been to one dealer they are actually selling single 08 higher than nontech 09. There is some thing called minimum price point. beyond that car usually dont depreciate. Like 04-06 TL are in $16 to 20K. no matter how much 08 is priced cut. I bet this new one will lose more money as supply so much and demand is nil with starting price way higher than where it should be.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

How is Rosie running these days? Or did you decide it wasn't ugly enough and traded it in on an RL?
Please do everybody and this planet a favor and kill yourself.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I have been to one dealer they are actually selling single 08 higher than nontech 09. There is some thing called minimum price point. beyond that car usually dont depreciate. Like 04-06 TL are in $16 to 20K. no matter how much 08 is priced cut. I bet this new one will lose more money as supply so much and demand is nil with starting price way higher than where it should be.
Whatever you say, Nostrodamus.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mods, I apologize for getting out of line here and feeding this troll. But you must do something about trolls like ownaccord who come in here for the sole purpose of mocking and insulting the 4G TL and their owners. Please ban this guy, Mods.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Racer

I was faced with the same choice, and bought an '08 with Navigation in NBP.

The classic beauty and allure of a large, aluminized piece of plastic with the shape of a large grin at the bottom of it bolted to the front of a car was completely lost on me, so that was the deal breaker.

I have no regrets on my decision at all. The '09 is a great car and I don't mind the way 3/4 of it looks but for me the TL did not keep enough of it's identity. I do agree with some on this site that the '08 looks dated, but I have always liked the looks of the 3rd generation so I don't care about that at all. I also share your concern on the longevity of a hard drive over the long term use in a car.

I wanted a safe, reliable, relatively economical and good looking car that is practical for everyday use and the '08 fir the bill. I am lucky enough to have a '00 Subaru Legacy for use in the crappy winter weather and a '00 C5 Corvette as a performance car so those bases are covered for me.

Norris Acura West in Ellicott City gave me the best deal. They also earned my business by letting me test drive the '08 for over an hour without sending a salesperson along and giving me a loaner overnight to help me decide that the TL was the car for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Pro

Christmas gift?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Christmas gift?

LOL, that's a perfect gift!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

Sir, you seem to be mistaken. You own one of these:

Not one of these:

So your forum is right here: http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/
You may now leave.

But you must do something about trolls like ownaccord who come in here for the sole purpose of mocking and insulting the 4G TL and their owners. Please ban this guy, Mods.
I second this idea. I'm getting tired of reading his posts.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I must say that thier is a type of accord that the back looks like a nsx, but idk the year of it.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice post uiop...Now that's some funny sh**. The mods are rather modest in the Acuraine forum. I wish they would lay down the law a little bit. Of all things one mod asked me to remove my link to my CD for a little promotion.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wow what a sad thread
Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
(and it was $3K, not $4K......if you're gonna troll, get your facts straight, moron).
Without going back to look it up IIRC you said $3000 now + $45 a month extra on the payment. A two year note would be an extra $1080 on top of the $3000 down or $4080.

It could be more at $540 per year if the note is for more then 2 years. Its good info if anyone else is thing about doing something like this or maybe swapping a 4G 5AT for a 4G 6MT in 2010.

You did elect to share with us what you paid to make the swap so you might expect to see some comments about it since this is a discussion board.

That being said, how you spend your money is your business, but in this case he was most likely being conservative on how much extra you are paying for swapping in the new '09 for a SHAWD.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-29-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Without going back to look it up IIRC you said $3000 now + $45 a month extra on the payment. A two year note would be an extra $1080 on top of the $3000 down or $4080.

It could be more at $540 per year if the note is for more then 2 years. Its good info if anyone else is thing about doing something like this or maybe swapping a 4G 5AT for a 4G 6MT in 2010.

You did elect to share with us what you paid to make the swap so you might expect to see some comments about it since this is a discussion board.

That being said, how you spend your money is your business, but in this case he was most likely being conservative on how much extra you are paying for swapping in the new '09 for a SHAWD.

No Bear, the guy was just trying to be a dickhead. Thanks for info, Bear, but I already have an accountant.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
10th Gear

Terms of Service:
You are strictly prohibited from posting or transmitting any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, or profane material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Terms of Service:
You are strictly prohibited from posting or transmitting any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, or profane material that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Terms of Service:
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Racer

Buy whichever ones makes you happy. I had an '06 TL. I went to my dealership and drove a Type S and an '09 SH-AWD. I loved the SH-AWD but could not justify the price tag. The looks are growing on me. I love the rear. Would absolutely paint the beak though. This is a no brainer.

Traded in my '06 for a Type S for about $6k out of pocket and will get a pre-owned SH-AWD within 2 years. I don't mind buying pre-owned one bit. My new Type S is certifed and i saved a bunch of money. I fyou need a new car go for it. Buy pre-owned, save a ton and spend about 3 hours giving it "your own" detail" and you will think you bought it brand new. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
A couple of members have been given a temporary vacation from AZ. If you can't follow the rules for posting on AZ- you will be next.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Nice post uiop...Now that's some funny sh**. The mods are rather modest in the Acuraine forum. I wish they would lay down the law a little bit. Of all things one mod asked me to remove my link to my CD for a little promotion.
Since I was the one who asked you to remove your link, I will respond for the benefit of everyone reading. There is no advertising on AZ unless you are a paying vendor. It's really that simple.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
PetesTL?? Terrible to see one of the first and only 4G owner's banned. I wouldn't think a person with 700+ useful posts would have the same fate as one with 14 useless ones.

Nice one, ownaccord.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by uiop
PetesTL?? Terrible to see one of the first and only 4G owner's banned. I wouldn't think a person with 700+ useful posts would have the same fate as one with 14 useless ones.
Nice one, ownaccord.
+1 I kinda agree with him ggesq
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I, 100% agree with ggesq, good job, on banning both.

If you can't behave, especially being here from 2004, then you really are not a part of Azine community.

Bigotry, degrading... it is not needed. Provide useful info. Provide your opinion. Period.

If you can't handle the replies, do not post, or think before you do.

To the OP... The choice between 2008 and 2009 can only be based on your preference. Get a piece of paper, and right down Pros and Cons for each car. See which one appeals to you... The 2009 will make sense more to you as it is a newer body...

3G - TLS - sleeker, cheaper, unique.
4G - wider, newer, awd, iPOD/USB integration, and to me HD Navi is a plus, I can def. image/update it easier than a dvd-rom.

I personally like my 08 TL-S, but I think I'm done with Honda. Great engine, durability, options for the $ ... but the quality (or finesse) is not there.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I personally like my 08 TL-S, but I think I'm done with Honda. Great engine, durability, options for the $ ... but the quality (or finesse) is not there.
What Honda?! Where Honda?? Aren't Acuras made with higher quality components than Hondas? And which car do you think will be of higher quality than a TL?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree with TeknoKing on the banning of both members. There was some very inappropriate posts. Some of the worst I've seen since becoming a member in 2001.

The 2008 and 2009 are two totally different cars. You need to drive each and see which one you prefer. For me, the looks 2009 and the price of the 2008 made it an easy choice for me. I picked up a 2008 NBP TL-S on Labor Day. The 2008 is an older body style and might depreciate quicker but I plan on keeping and enjoying it for several years.