08 or 09 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
What Honda?! Where Honda?? Aren't Acuras made with higher quality components than Hondas?
No. & just until a few years ago most of the "Acura" parts like widow glass etc still had HONDA etched into them.

I bought a set of running boards for my daughters '08 Pilot from Tim @ Hondaacuraworld.com. Half of the parts bags said HONDA & the other half said ACURA.

The same 'factory custom fit' boards are used for both the Honda & Acura SUV's.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I agree with you DJ. I really don't care about the depreciation on my Type S. I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I had my previous car for 10 years before I bought my Type S. And just like you, I plan on enjoying it for years to come.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of members here are 3G TL owners and most hate the 4G design. So only you can decide. Consider all the facts about both cars and separate what you 'need' to have and 'want' to have.

I personally would go for 4G TL SH-AWD if money is not a issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:37 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy! what a thread!
To the original poster, I suspect that you tested the 08 TL and 09 TL base. I say, get a good deal on the grey 08. Better yet, find a 08 TLs.

Here is my thinking... if the looks of the 09 has not grown on you by now, it likely never will. For a 40kish purchase, there should be little or no reservations. Buy it because you love it - do not buy it with hopes of loving it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by pokin
Holy! what a thread!
To the original poster, I suspect that you tested the 08 TL and 09 TL base. I say, get a good deal on the grey 08. Better yet, find a 08 TLs.

Here is my thinking... if the looks of the 09 has not grown on you by now, it likely never will. For a 40kish purchase, there should be little or no reservations. Buy it because you love it - do not buy it with hopes of loving it.
Ditto +1
Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I would get the 09..the style will grow on you and the interior is really up there in terms of quality and finish!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Only way I would get the 09 TL is

1) Painted Grill
2) Free Lifetime Oil Changes
3) SH-AWD version
4) Dealer threw in a free clear bra protection.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Snax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Only way I would get the 09 TL is

1) Painted Grill
2) Free Lifetime Oil Changes
3) SH-AWD version
4) Dealer threw in a free clear bra protection.
Agree... That sounds reasonable.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
No. & just until a few years ago most of the "Acura" parts like widow glass etc still had HONDA etched into them.

I bought a set of running boards for my daughters '08 Pilot from Tim @ Hondaacuraworld.com. Half of the parts bags said HONDA & the other half said ACURA.

The same 'factory custom fit' boards are used for both the Honda & Acura SUV's.
Yes, no and maybe for Acura's having higher quality components than Honda's.

Alot of things in the 3G TL were not available in any Honda product, ie Brembo front calipers in 6MT, special sound absorbing windshield glass, aluminum front sub-frame. Also if you looked carefully at the chassis construction (esspecially in the inside of the firewall) appears alot more robust.

Alot of things are shared, ie washer pumps, fasteners,. But most of the Acura products are above in quality over the Honda producst even though they're all built by Honda. Take a look at the plastic pieces used in a 3G interior and compare to a Accord, there is a difference.

A maybe would be the Acura J motors, they have some differences (higher compression and displacement) to the Honda J motors but they are slight at best and share alot of common components.

There are differences, so to say they are the same quality is incorrect.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, if I had to choose b/w the too I would chose the 08 TL. I've got a couple of issues that would prevent me from getting the 09.

First of all the styling is not for me. It's just too much and I don't think it will age well.

Secondly the price. The TL has moved upmarket and the price has increased as well.

I love the styling of the 3rd gen TL (much more than the new model), and it is so well equipped that is is going to age gracefully...just my two cents...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,591 Posts
With the 3G exterior styling and the lower price, I agree that I'd stick to the 08 TL over a 09 TL.

A neighbor did the same thing with the Honda Pilot. She looked at the new 2G and wound up buying a last year 1G for significantly less.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
My take is you have to really LOVE the car you spend that much money on. There are things about the 4G I like, I have owned 5 3G TLs, but the looks do not turn me on, and no amount of "growing on me" is going to make me LOVE a 4G. I LOVE my 3G and look back at it every day when I get out of it and lock it. Sure some of the features of a 4G are appealing, but the car does not turn me on. Congrats to those that bought a 4G and like it. You can get great deals ona 3G especially if you can find a Type-S. Also remember the 09 4G is a year one car and Honda/Acura are notorious for lots of minor issues. I owned a year one 3G and really have no desire to go through that again!
In the end YOU have to be happy with your decision. Good luck!
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you buy a first year design not only are you mostly likely going to have issues the subsequent years will have minor upgrades that you probably wished you had. I was in your situation and I went with the 08 and maybe in a couple of years when Acura has mastered the new design or come up with something better I will re-evaluate then

Last edited by clpassenubye; 12-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced

I was trying to decide between an 08 TLS and an 09 SHAWD myself.

I ended up choosing the 08 TLS because I prefer the exterior of the 3G over the 4G and I did not need the extra space in the backseat.

But if you plan to haul adults regularly in the backseats, the 4G definitely has the edge in that respect.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
A couple of members have been given a temporary vacation from AZ. If you can't follow the rules for posting on AZ- you will be next.
As a newer member of AZ I feel compelled to comment. First, I agree that both should be temporarily banned for what was said. I sincerely hope Pete returns. Pete, Wavehogger and others have provided input that I expect from a quality site. Both prospective buyers and owners join sites like this to gain valuable knowledge prior to the purchase and ways of improving performance or looks after the sale. I see a lot of constructive criticism from 3G owners as to why they keep their cars and what they don’t like about the 4G. That’s cool. To surpass the constructive criticism, I see a lot more of destructive criticism toward the 4G, especially the grill. I had mine painted because I wanted it painted, not because I disliked the stainless steel look. I don’t think this is any different than the thousands of 3Gs with aero kits and rear spoilers.
There have been times I have logged off rather than join the negative banter by being baited into a confrontation. There is a very diverse group on this site that range from the very young driver to those who have many years behind the wheel, very different economic and ethnic backgrounds. There is much we can all learn from each other without being destructive.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm a 3G owner but not a 4G hater. I test drove the 4G SH-AWD Tech package and the base model 4G and they a very nice cars no doubt. Everyone is going to make their own decision when it comes down to it. There's many things I like about the 4G but just enough things I didn't like to make me stick with the 08 3G. In the end you really can't go wrong with either car.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I saw a black 4G TL today. I have to say, it looked very sharp, front grill included.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, I've said this once before, but I would like to say it again. I feel very strong about this too.

There are not naysayers here-just owners with their own opinions and tastes. Quite frankly, this kind of talk on this 4G Forum needs to stop immediately. It gets very tiring to read-to be honest. This 4G Community needs to really adopt a positive approach-right away. Otherwise, it will turn in to a gripe board-which nobody wants.

People get banned for a legitimate reasons. An intelligent person learns from other people's mistake and does not make those same mistakes themselves.

Sorry to be on a soapbox, but I think it needs to be said.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

Yes,I too did drive an 09' TL as a service loaner while my 07tl-s was in the shop , it drove great, it's fast,handles great, new features are great !....I just can't stomach the looks of the "BATMOBILE" ( ACURA meets PONTIAC Bonneville rear end!)with the interior made by "RUBBER MAID/old pioneer stereo design!...." overly confusing controll buttons are overwhelming!.....the 07-08's are much nicer and comfy & much more attractive , I say look into a 3G TL-s myself!........
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'll give my opinion:

1st) make your list of criterias: size, interior room, FWD vs. AWD, MPG, space, exterior, interior, trunk size, visibility, technologies, etc.
-We're talking about qualitative stuff here

2nd) make your budget: how much money can you put on a new car that will not hinder your lifestyle. Give yourself a range and look at what you have to sacrifice to afford a more expensive car. Don't forget gas, tires, maintenance and insurances
-We're now talking about quantitative stuff

3rd) Test drive both, extensively. Do you feel confortable, is your head, legs and arms feeling cramped? Do you have neck tension from the headrest? Is your upperback and lowerback well supported?

4th) Write and note the pros and cons of each model.

5th) Get a price for each with the addes warranty, free stuff thrown-in and see how it compares to your budget.

I did all that and the 4G was the winner: AWD, roomy enough for my 6'4'', very powerful and with loads of cool toys. And to be honest, I'm n love with the looks and I plan to keep it 5-7 years so I planned my warranty and financing accordingly.

On a pure personal note: altought I got my 4th in CBP/Ebony, my favorite color for the 3G is the dark grey. I think the car looks awesome in that color. I saw one with a lowerbody kit(I think) and it was superb.

My 2 cents!
-YetiTL
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The forums are here to give opinions, people should try to respect one another and not take things so personally.
I've seen Pete rip people including myself in situations that were really uncalled for.
I hate to see him banned but he has been out of line on more than one ocassion.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
The forums are here to give opinions, people should try to respect one another and not take things so personally.
I've seen Pete rip people including myself in situations that were really uncalled for.
I hate to see him banned but he has been out of line on more than one ocassion.
You bumped this thread to say that?

edit- pete's paid his debt to AZ, no need to call him out.

Last edited by ggesq; 07-13-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Banned

PetesTL?? Terrible to see one of the first and only 4G owner's banned. I wouldn't think a person with 700+ useful posts would have the same fate as one with 14 useless ones.

Nice one, ownaccord.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

Beauty is in the "EYE of the Beholder". !