MDX trailer hitch receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021 | 04:48 PM
5th Gear

MDX trailer hitch receiver

I recently traded my 2017 MDX Elite in on a 2022 MDX A Spec. So far, I am pretty happy with the new vehicle. I have a small utility trailer(<1000 lbs.) that I use for transporting stuff 6-10 times a year. I installed an aftermarket hitch receiver on the 2017 and at the time it cost me less that $300.00 for receiver and custom plug in wiring harness. When I traded, the dealer asked if I wanted a receiver on the new 2022. I said, “how much?” I was quoted $2500.00 for a 3500 lb receiver and $3500.00 for the 5000 lb version. With the memory of the hitch for the 2017 MDX still in my mind, I declined the dealers offer.
Then I started doing my research. I guess Acura is doing a little to discourage the aftermarket hitch folks because they are pretty hard to find in Canada. The hands free feature for the rear hatch really complicates the aftermarket hitch installation. For that matter, it complicates the Acura hitch installation too...hence the heavy price tag. I did find an aftermarket hitch receiver for $240.00 Cdn manufactured by Curt. I managed the install in about two hours but I’m no spring chicken so a young fella with some basic tools and a good torque wrench could probably do it in half that time. I also found a zero contact wiring harness to get around the messy logistic of The Acura wiring. If anyone else is considering going down this road, I can share some of my learnings.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021 | 05:57 PM

we spring chickens love learning!
would love to hear more of your thoughts and details on the install
Old 05-20-2021 | 08:33 AM
6th Gear

I'm looking at buying a 22 Advance and would like to install a hitch as well. My use case will mostly be bike rack and the occasional small trailer from uhaul/home depot.

Open to cheaper ideas as well but would like to keep the HFA feature working.

Looking at the accessory installation times document, looks like I would need all the following parts: (prices gathered online, not through the dealer):

Trailer Hitch
08L92-TYA-200
$201.84

Hitch Cover
08L92-TYA-200B
$88.50

ATF cooler (optional)
06255-61D-305
$272.34

Trailer Hitch Harness
08L91-TYA-200
$139.20

HFA Sensor Unit
08L91-TYA-200B
$156.60

Parts alone are $858.48 but the $3k-ish that the dealer is asking is a bit much.
Old 05-20-2021 | 09:12 AM
5th Gear

MDX Trailer hitch receiver

Thank you Justnspace
I should say right up front that the aftermarket Curt hitch does not play well with the factory installed hands free lift gate. I understand that Acura has a relocation kit for the sensor package to address the hitch issue but I have absolutely no use for the foot actuated hands free feature. If you need or want it, best to stay with the OEM setup. The factory OEM sensor package for the hands free lift gate does not allow sufficient clearance for the Curt hitch receiver behind the bumper. I am pretty sure that this is also the case with the OEM hitch, but I cannot state this with certainty. One of their accessory installation bulletins available elsewhere on this site seems to suggest a sensor relocation is required.

So on to the install. The Curt hitch is a pretty heavy piece of kit and is rated at 6000 lbs. This is far beyond my needs and also beyond the rated towing capacity of the MDX, even with the transmission cooler. It is the only one I could find. The shipping weight was 50 pounds so it would be great to have a helper to position the hitch for the install. I did it myself but only because I have no friends not because it is the best way.

The first thing that I did was put the vehicle rear wheels up on ramps so I had a little more room to work and I found the extra 7 inches of clearance gave me just about the right room to work from laying on my back. I disconnected the power as I knew that I would be messing with the wiring and I didn’t want any unpredictable reactions to my actions. I lowered the spare tire and moved it out of the way. I believe this is necessary and even if it isn’t, it sure makes moving the hitch into position a whole lot easier. Then I removed the hands free assembly from the bottom inside of the rear bumper. There were four sheet metal type screws and two pop out connectors holding it in place. Then I disconnected the control module and the sensor rods from the assembly. There was one screw holding the module in place and the rods just snapped into clips on the back of the panel.
I left all the wiring connected and tried not to put any stress on any connections. I used a tie wrap to secure the module to the top of the bumper frame member and reattached the sensor rods to the inside or the remaining panel at the bottom of the bumper.

To put the hitch into position, i used piece of thin rope to support the passenger side of the hitch assembly from the tailpipe hanger assembly. I left just enough slack to allow free movement at the driver’s side. Then I lifted the driver’s side into position and supported its weight on my bent knee while I started the first bolt to the frame. There are three bolts on each side and Curt says they need to be torqued to 135 lb-feet. That is a significant pull laying on your back under the vehicle, at my age. After the first bolt was installed I then installed one on the passenger side. Amazingly, all six bolts lined up to perfection. Torque everything up. Replace the spare tire and it is time to start with the trailer wiring. For another day. Oh yeah, forgot to reconnect the battery.
To my knowledge, if I or someone else decide to remove the hitch in the future, I have preserved all the electrical connections and the mounting assembly and it would only be a five minute job to restore the hands free lift gate to original.
The Curt Hitch extends under the rear bumper rather than through the bottom panel like the OEM does. This is actually a better height for my utility trailer and there is still lots of clearance.
Hope this is of some assistance to anyone considering this option.

Old 05-20-2021 | 09:32 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by amshah97
I'm looking at buying a 22 Advance and would like to install a hitch as well. My use case will mostly be bike rack and the occasional small trailer from uhaul/home depot.

Open to cheaper ideas as well but would like to keep the HFA feature working.

Looking at the accessory installation times document, looks like I would need all the following parts: (prices gathered online, not through the dealer):

Trailer Hitch
08L92-TYA-200
$201.84

Hitch Cover
08L92-TYA-200B
$88.50

ATF cooler (optional)
06255-61D-305
$272.34

Trailer Hitch Harness
08L91-TYA-200
$139.20

HFA Sensor Unit
08L91-TYA-200B
$156.60

Parts alone are $858.48 but the $3k-ish that the dealer is asking is a bit much.
Hello amshah97:
I do not know where you are located but if you are in the US, your prices are pretty much guaranteed lower than here in Canada. The dealer quoted me $2500 installed for a 3500 lb rated hitch. (No transmission cooler). I bought the hitch aftermarket for $240.00 and a contactless wiring package for $220 Cdn. Freight incl.
I have preserved the ability to restore hands free functionality by removing the hitch. I don’t use it as I cannot stand on one foot. I just could not justify $2500 to tow a $1000 utility trailer for a few miles 6-10 times a year.
Old 08-24-2021 | 12:41 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

grahambw - I'm in the same boat as you. Getting a new 22 MDX to replace my 18 MDX and need a new hitch for my bike rack. The old Curt hitch I have on the 18 doesn't fit the new 22.

Can you tell me the ground clearance for your Curt hitch? From the ground to the bottom of the 2" hitch receiver?

I assume you got the Curt class III with 2" opening.
Old 08-24-2021 | 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by grahambw
I recently traded my 2017 MDX Elite in on a 2022 MDX A Spec. So far, I am pretty happy with the new vehicle. I have a small utility trailer(<1000 lbs.) that I use for transporting stuff 6-10 times a year. I installed an aftermarket hitch receiver on the 2017 and at the time it cost me less that $300.00 for receiver and custom plug in wiring harness. When I traded, the dealer asked if I wanted a receiver on the new 2022. I said, “how much?” I was quoted $2500.00 for a 3500 lb receiver and $3500.00 for the 5000 lb version. With the memory of the hitch for the 2017 MDX still in my mind, I declined the dealers offer.
Then I started doing my research. I guess Acura is doing a little to discourage the aftermarket hitch folks because they are pretty hard to find in Canada. The hands free feature for the rear hatch really complicates the aftermarket hitch installation. For that matter, it complicates the Acura hitch installation too...hence the heavy price tag. I did find an aftermarket hitch receiver for $240.00 Cdn manufactured by Curt. I managed the install in about two hours but I’m no spring chicken so a young fella with some basic tools and a good torque wrench could probably do it in half that time. I also found a zero contact wiring harness to get around the messy logistic of The Acura wiring. If anyone else is considering going down this road, I can share some of my learnings.

Excellent! I was looking at that hitch too but with the Advance model I was worried about the kick to open trunk feature. Did you have to relocate the sensor or did it still work?

Can you post a link to the wire harness you used and the hitch model number?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2021 | 02:34 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by F-C
grahambw - I'm in the same boat as you. Getting a new 22 MDX to replace my 18 MDX and need a new hitch for my bike rack. The old Curt hitch I have on the 18 doesn't fit the new 22.

Can you tell me the ground clearance for your Curt hitch? From the ground to the bottom of the 2" hitch receiver?

I assume you got the Curt class III with 2" opening.
I just went out and measured. It is 11.25” from ground to the lowest point on the hitch receiver. The lowest point is the safety chain attachment loops. It has been on there since May/21 and hasn’t bottomed out (there are no marks on the underside). The height is actually perfect for my utility trailer.
Old 08-24-2021 | 03:21 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Excellent! I was looking at that hitch too but with the Advance model I was worried about the kick to open trunk feature. Did you have to relocate the sensor or did it still work?

Thanks.
Hello usmarinedelta:
As I posted earlier, I had to relocate the sensors to gain adequate clearance for the Curt receiver install. The kick to open is no longer functional but I secured the sensors so they can be replaced if I remove the hitch receiver. I did not use or plan to use the kick to open function. I purchased the wiring harness unit at a Canadian Tire outlet right off the shelf but identical units are available on Amazon. It is a Tekonsha ZCI modulite. Model 119251. They are about $200.00 and require no splicing or damage to the factory wiring. The Curt Receiver itself was purchased on-line from HitchWeb.com. You will probably not be able to find the fitment listed on their website but I just clicked on the “chat” function and their guy gave me the ordering information. Delivery was quick and the price was great. Other than relocation of the sensors for the rear hatch opening, the fit was perfect. Hope this is of some assistance.
Old 08-24-2021 | 04:16 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I just went out and measured. It is 11.25” from ground to the lowest point on the hitch receiver. The lowest point is the safety chain attachment loops. It has been on there since May/21 and hasn’t bottomed out (there are no marks on the underside). The height is actually perfect for my utility trailer.
Thanks for checking. My concern is with the bike rack in the lowered position. In my 18 MDX, when the bike rack is lowered, due to the relatively low clearance, the end tip of the bike rack could scrap the ground when going up inclines. I hope it's at least not worse than before with the 22 model.
Old 08-25-2021 | 05:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I just measure the clearance on my 18. It's about 10.5". So hopefully this will make my clearance issues go away.
Old 09-10-2021 | 03:58 PM
Racer

Do these aftermarket units work ok with the onboard electronics, stability control, etc? I know on the X5 you can't really add an aftermarket tow hitch if you want electronics like stability control to work correctly.
Old 09-11-2021 | 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Did not like the way the optional hitch cover looks so went this route instead. OEM hitch using the stock valance. Just made a cutout for it. $236 shipped to my house and installed myself. Will add harness next.
ilovemybabytl (07-12-2023)
Old 09-15-2021 | 03:34 PM
Pro

Thanks.
If you get an after market hitch you may still need to buy the trim cover piece and a new kick sensor from Acura. The new kick sensor is on back order until December. If you get an after market hitch that does not need a new trim panel, it would have less ground clearance than the OEM hitch. Parts attached for your file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hitch Cover Kick Sensor.pdf (244.4 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 09-15-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2021 | 05:56 PM
Intermediate

The aftermarket hitches do not work with the OEM accessory trim piece. They hang lower than the OEM hitches.
LECKEY73 (01-22-2022)
Old 09-17-2021 | 07:56 AM
Needs a 930

Originally Posted by A&Hsince90

Did not like the way the optional hitch cover looks so went this route instead. OEM hitch using the stock valance. Just made a cutout for it. $236 shipped to my house and installed myself. Will add harness next.

Nice! I did this to my 19 aspec and am going to do it on my 22 aspec as well. I mainly do it because I don’t like the wording on the valance replacement 😂 makes it look like an ad
Old 02-08-2022 | 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

Did you end up relocating the kick sensor or are you living without it's functionality? I'm curious if you need the "hitch valence" to make the sensor relocation kit work. I agree that your solution looks much, much better but am interested to know that if I use the stock modified part, I'd still be able to use the sensor relocation kit to retain functionality of my kick sensor. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2022 | 05:56 AM
Intermediate

Had the kick sensor on another Honda and never used it so I didn’t bother to hook it up.
Old 02-13-2022 | 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

I just picked this up from dealer. Here is the non ATF cooler hitch I stalled as a dealer accessory for $729.00. Paid MSRP for car.

Color on trim matches very well, although photo makes it look different.
Old 02-15-2022 | 11:29 PM
10th Gear

I installed 5,000lb version from Acura dealer $2,536. Hitch, wiring, ATF Cooler and sensor...(Canada)
Old 02-16-2022 | 08:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrdream
I installed 5,000lb version from Acura dealer $2,536. Hitch, wiring, ATF Cooler and sensor...(Canada)
Just to clarify, did you purchase the parts from the dealer and install it yourself ?
Old 02-16-2022 | 08:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JandS Canada
Just to clarify, did you purchase the parts from the dealer and install it yourself ?
No it was part of purchase deal and dealer installed it.
JandS Canada (02-16-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 12:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrdream
Like a boss!!
Old 03-23-2022 | 02:26 PM
2nd Gear

Got a quote from the dealer $2400 for just ATF cooler installed
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:24 PM
Advanced

I have a $1331 quote for 3500 lb hitch - no trans cooler.
Old 04-14-2022 | 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks.
Just for information. I installed a Curt hitch yesterday on my 2022 A-Spec. The Hands Free Gate still works. The panel itself that holds the sensor rods needs to be removed, trimmed in the middle where the hitch sits and re-installed. Trimming the middle section out still allows for all the panel fasteners and rods to be reconnected. The actual control box and wiring I wire tied to the hitch frame. The kick sensor works if I kick just beside the hitch receiver on the passenger side. I always found it worked better kicking there even before the hitch install.

Anyway, all that said, the answer is Yes it still works.
Old 07-12-2023 | 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Looks great! Was it hard to cut out? Did you ever complete harness installation? Any pictures of that?
Old 09-12-2024 | 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Aaron P.
Just for information. I installed a Curt hitch yesterday on my 2022 A-Spec. The Hands Free Gate still works. The panel itself that holds the sensor rods needs to be removed, trimmed in the middle where the hitch sits and re-installed. Trimming the middle section out still allows for all the panel fasteners and rods to be reconnected. The actual control box and wiring I wire tied to the hitch frame. The kick sensor works if I kick just beside the hitch receiver on the passenger side. I always found it worked better kicking there even before the hitch install.

Anyway, all that said, the answer is Yes it still works.
Can you tell me a bit more about "the panel itself that holds the sensor rods needs to be removed, trimmed in the middle where the hitch sits and re-installed." I am going to buy the CURT hitch and install on my 2022 MDX Tech pkg that has the hands free sensor.