Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021 | 07:36 AM
Intermediate

Build Quality

So I picked up my '22 Tech and thought the hood was open! Turns out the gap between the head light and the hood is inconsistent. I can get my pinky finder in that gap on mine, and noticed that the gap on others are of varying sizes. Some just as wide, some smaller etc Anyone else notice that?? Now looking at that rear, I'm noticing that the exhaust surrounds are also not perfect. I would expect better for a 60k vehicle!

Anyone else notice this? Just a bag batch at my dealer or is this across the board? I like that car over all, so took delivery. Just wondering.

Old 03-03-2021 | 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

take it back!
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-03-2021 | 11:38 AM
mrgold35

I figured the 4th Gen to be about the same as the +17 MDX 3rd Gen with the same gap tolerances. Lots of places for dust, dirt, sand, and water to get into. I have to use an air blower on my 19 MDX to get all water runs and drips after a carwash from all the gaps, seams, grill, and emblems.
Old 03-03-2021 | 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

The hood line is probably my least favorite design aspect of the 2022 ... even in this normal, stand-away pic, the hood line is noticeable. When we first saw it at the dealer, my wife thought the hood was unlatched.

This is one design element where the 2020 is superior (IMO)...no hood line...

ELIN (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021 | 04:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by radicalrad
So I picked up my '22 Tech and thought the hood was open! Turns out the gap between the head light and the hood is inconsistent. I can get my pinky finder in that gap on mine, and noticed that the gap on others are of varying sizes. Some just as wide, some smaller etc Anyone else notice that?? Now looking at that rear, I'm noticing that the exhaust surrounds are also not perfect. I would expect better for a 60k vehicle!

Anyone else notice this? Just a bag batch at my dealer or is this across the board? I like that car over all, so took delivery. Just wondering.
There were similar concerns for the TLX in one of the video reviews. I would imagine the first batch were literally rushed to dealerships.

I know it's early but do let us know what type of mpg you are getting in your first fill-up.
Old 03-03-2021 | 06:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Honda typically will need a few thousand miles before the engine operates in its optimal efficiency and performance.
Old 03-03-2021 | 06:54 PM
Drifting

I saw 2 - 2022 MDX's at the dealership. One had perfect alignment of all panels and the 2nd had several poorly aligned panels. My 2019 MDX has uneven gaps around the rear wheel wells. It is my experience this is typical of Acura. This is where Lexus excels.
Old 03-03-2021 | 09:34 PM
Intermediate

What do you think? the other side has some gap as well.
Almost had a panic attack, the middle seat was leaning more on one side with a big gap, thankfully all those video reviews talk about the removal middle seat, Guess what someone from the factory or dealer forgot to put it properly on the anchors. I some what agree Acura was in a hurry to bring em to the market. Sadly i knew first year gen change models have issues so can't complain too much either. Glad they kept the same engine. Just keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-03-2021 | 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I figured the 4th Gen to be about the same as the +17 MDX 3rd Gen with the same gap tolerances. Lots of places for dust, dirt, sand, and water to get into. I have to use an air blower on my 19 MDX to get all water runs and drips after a carwash from all the gaps, seams, grill, and emblems.
I totally agree with you on this one, the amount of salt and dirt i had to clean from the gap from the rear window below the wiper, wish they could put a rubber strip or something there. And i bought it two weeks ago. SMH. Dealer did such a shit job of detailing the car. Thankfully it didn't stay on the lot long.
Old 03-03-2021 | 09:51 PM
Intermediate

So its not just mine! Not that it makes me feel any better!!
Old 03-04-2021 | 05:26 AM
Intermediate

Common on new models

It’s fairly common to see fitment issues on a new model off an assembly line - you’ll see it improve gradually over time as they make adjustments. Acura just seems to have more fitment issues than other carmakers. When I hear them push “Precision Crafted Performance”, I would think the panel gaps would be something they’d want to get right 😂
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joshuaren
It’s fairly common to see fitment issues on a new model off an assembly line - you’ll see it improve gradually over time as they make adjustments. Acura just seems to have more fitment issues than other carmakers. When I hear them push “Precision Crafted Performance”, I would think the panel gaps would be something they’d want to get right 😂
Probably they saved precision crafted for interior. I haven’t seen any creaking or gap in door panels, abc pillars, speaker covers, switches and knobs etc. Best to run inside the car and not look outside for too long.lol.
I feel for the tesla car owners more now. What panel gaps.
Old 03-04-2021 | 10:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Jujhar Singh

What do you think? the other side has some gap as well.
Almost had a panic attack, the middle seat was leaning more on one side with a big gap, thankfully all those video reviews talk about the removal middle seat, Guess what someone from the factory or dealer forgot to put it properly on the anchors. I some what agree Acura was in a hurry to bring em to the market. Sadly i knew first year gen change models have issues so can't complain too much either. Glad they kept the same engine. Just keeping fingers crossed.
That front hood panel gap looks consistent to the actual gap becuase the gap is not in the same dimensional plane, what the pic shows is the gap reference plane changes from mostly vertical on the far left and far right to mostly horizontal in the middle due to the shape of the hood so it appears it has very little to do with the panel gap inconsistency and more the visualization of the gap to the overall hood/front end design.
Old 03-04-2021 | 02:27 PM
Pro

The hood would have looked better if it was one solid piece that just mated up with the grill like the RDX.
Old 03-07-2021 | 06:26 AM
Instructor

I own a 19” RDX A-Spec and lurking 22” MDX forum. I also have an interest in the new MDX but being extra careful before buying. Build quality (form, fit) is a big concern of mine because of all the issues I had with my RDX. Trim panel, hood gaps, windows, bumper and door alignments etc...I will continue to check out the MDX forum for a while before buying our new MDX.
Old 03-07-2021 | 07:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
I own a 19” RDX A-Spec and lurking 22” MDX forum. I also have an interest in the new MDX but being extra careful before buying. Build quality (form, fit) is a big concern of mine because of all the issues I had with my RDX. Trim panel, hood gaps, windows, bumper and door alignments etc...I will continue to check out the MDX forum for a while before buying our new MDX.
Same here, 2019 A-Spec but I really did not have any build issues and have had zero mechanical issues. I have however been dealing with quirky infotainment issues since I have owned the vehicle and I really do not want to continue with that in the MDX. My lease is up in September so hopefully by then the build issues are resolved and the Infotainment system as well as other new generation issues have been dealt with. Going to go Monday and drive a new MDX A-Spec and hope I don't cave and trade right then :-) I only have 13K miles on my A-Spec but would like something bigger as am retired now and have myself gotten bigger :-)
Old 03-07-2021 | 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

This is one reason I'd be strongly tempted by an eventual PMC edition, because part of what makes those vehicles special is all the extra attention to detail the PMC techs put into things like perfectly measured/adjusted panels.
Old 03-08-2021 | 06:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Same here, 2019 A-Spec but I really did not have any build issues and have had zero mechanical issues. I have however been dealing with quirky infotainment issues since I have owned the vehicle and I really do not want to continue with that in the MDX. My lease is up in September so hopefully by then the build issues are resolved and the Infotainment system as well as other new generation issues have been dealt with. Going to go Monday and drive a new MDX A-Spec and hope I don't cave and trade right then :-) I only have 13K miles on my A-Spec but would like something bigger as am retired now and have myself gotten bigger :-)
My A-Spec is at a low 12k miles after 2+ years of ownership. I plan to keep it for a long time. I do have issues with the infotainment as many do in the ‘19 RDX forum. I experience very much all the glitches (disclaimer won’t shut off, starburst looping, screen flickers in out of day/night mode and on and on, USB looping, etc. Mechanically no major issues except squeaking brakes, control arms, fuel pump, all have been addressed in TSBs. My brakes still squeal. Poor braking. Dealer found air in the brake system after delivery. They bled the system. I can just go on and on.

I will give it at least a year or two before going in. Hopefully the wireless CP/AA, digital dash and all the new tech added to the MDX will settle down then. No rush to buy a new vehicle in this pandemic. I am not driving much these days.
Old 03-08-2021 | 11:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
My A-Spec is at a low 12k miles after 2+ years of ownership. I plan to keep it for a long time. I do have issues with the infotainment as many do in the ‘19 RDX forum. I experience very much all the glitches (disclaimer won’t shut off, starburst looping, screen flickers in out of day/night mode and on and on, USB looping, etc. Mechanically no major issues except squeaking brakes, control arms, fuel pump, all have been addressed in TSBs. My brakes still squeal. Poor braking. Dealer found air in the brake system after delivery. They bled the system. I can just go on and on.

I will give it at least a year or two before going in. Hopefully the wireless CP/AA, digital dash and all the new tech added to the MDX will settle down then. No rush to buy a new vehicle in this pandemic. I am not driving much these days.
Oh boy. This gives me pause about buying an MDX. We're dealing with similar issues on my wife's 2018 CR-V infotainment: brightness sensitivity, Bluetooth connection, etc. The problems occur on longer trips with sensitive heat and/or light sensors. Updating the software or resetting the head unit doesn't seem to fix it. On another forum, changing out the head unit is over $1000 and the problem(s) persist. We're approaching 3 years of ownership and I'm worried about the warranty.
Old 03-09-2021 | 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by papachan
Oh boy. This gives me pause about buying an MDX. We're dealing with similar issues on my wife's 2018 CR-V infotainment: brightness sensitivity, Bluetooth connection, etc. The problems occur on longer trips with sensitive heat and/or light sensors. Updating the software or resetting the head unit doesn't seem to fix it. On another forum, changing out the head unit is over $1000 and the problem(s) persist. We're approaching 3 years of ownership and I'm worried about the warranty.
Papa Chan, the 2022 MDX will be our 5th MDX and all have been bulletproof (for the most part). Our 2006 had 210K miles and was still going strong when we sold it. As with any car, it's the luck of the draw, but with Honda/Acura, you reduce your risk. If you go on any online forum with any brand, you're going to see problems. It sounds like you've experienced problems with your CR-V, so I understand your concern, but keep an open mind as there are also thousands of success stories with Acuras/MDX's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Type34:
cairo333 (05-04-2021), papachan (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Type34
Papa Chan, the 2022 MDX will be our 5th MDX and all have been bulletproof (for the most part). Our 2006 had 210K miles and was still going strong when we sold it. As with any car, it's the luck of the draw, but with Honda/Acura, you reduce your risk. If you go on any online forum with any brand, you're going to see problems. It sounds like you've experienced problems with your CR-V, so I understand your concern, but keep an open mind as there are also thousands of success stories with Acuras/MDX's.
Thanks for the reassurances! I have to keep in mind that there are many more satisfied customers out there than not. Reading about and experiencing infotainment screen issues has given me pause. I have to weigh the many positives against the potential small number of negatives. Eventually, I'll be handing down my 2004 Pilot to my teenager some time this summer and will need a new ride!

My younger son and I dropped by the Acura dealership to check out the MDXs this past weekend. Although I did not test drive an MDX, I thoroughly inspected every nook and cranny of the showroom base model. I was impressed by the multitude of options and features. Ultimately, if I'm going to buy a new car (that will last 15 to 20 years), it has to be different enough from my current SUV.
The following 2 users liked this post by papachan:
schen72 (03-13-2021), Type34 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:12 PM
Drifting

Ultimately, if I'm going to buy a new car (that will last 15 to 20 years), it has to be different enough from my current SUV.
I would imagine nearly every SUV qualifies if you're comparing against a 2004 Pilot. LOL!
papachan (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELIN
I would imagine nearly every SUV qualifies if you're comparing against a 2004 Pilot. LOL!
LOL...
It's still a solid car for our family. It's gone through a lot of usage. We're your typical, loyal Honda family... Upgrading to an Acura MDX wouldn't be too much of a jump.
ELIN (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL...
It's still a solid car for our family. It's gone through a lot of usage. We're your typical, loyal Honda family... Upgrading to an Acura MDX wouldn't be too much of a jump.
I've owned a lot of brands over the years, but Acura has been a steady stream in our family. I honestly think Acura is the Goldilocks brand: the right balance of luxury, performance, reliability, and value.

From my experience and from what I've read thus far, I think the 2022 MDX will be a near-perfect choice for your family.
papachan (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 05:01 PM
Intermediate

To be clear, i'm happy with the car over all, it's just the cosmetic issue with the hood that is bother me. Maybe like someone said earlier, it the way its designed.
Old 03-12-2021 | 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by radicalrad
To be clear, i'm happy with the car over all, it's just the cosmetic issue with the hood that is bother me. Maybe like someone said earlier, it the way its designed.
It the way the headlights designed. Due to the fact that the headlights were slimmer and thinner. Mine had that gap too, it did not bother me. Overall, it is an amazing car!
Old 03-13-2021 | 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Type34
I've owned a lot of brands over the years, but Acura has been a steady stream in our family. I honestly think Acura is the Goldilocks brand: the right balance of luxury, performance, reliability, and value.

From my experience and from what I've read thus far, I think the 2022 MDX will be a near-perfect choice for your family.
You can see in my sig that I've only owned Acuras for the past 25 years. I seriously looked at GV80 and GLC300 but there are just too many compromises there. I just keep coming back to Acura because of the value.
Old 03-13-2021 | 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the reassurances! I have to keep in mind that there are many more satisfied customers out there than not. Reading about and experiencing infotainment screen issues has given me pause. I have to weigh the many positives against the potential small number of negatives. Eventually, I'll be handing down my 2004 Pilot to my teenager some time this summer and will need a new ride!

My younger son and I dropped by the Acura dealership to check out the MDXs this past weekend. Although I did not test drive an MDX, I thoroughly inspected every nook and cranny of the showroom base model. I was impressed by the multitude of options and features. Ultimately, if I'm going to buy a new car (that will last 15 to 20 years), it has to be different enough from my current SUV.
Even though online reviewers always harp on the touchpad, after having a 2020 RDX loaner for a weekend, I mastered it in about 15 minutes. I had no problems with it and I think it works well. I think the true-touch really does work well. I would rather keep my arm on the center console using a touchpad rather than reaching up to touch the screen. I also hate seeing smudges on a screen, so I personally don't like touch screens.

I think you're a little like me in that we keep cars a long time. Every time I get a new car it's multiple generations ahead and vastly superior to my previous car.
papachan (03-13-2021)