2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Serious question: Tiger was reportedly driving a GV80 in his horrific accident. Hearing what happened before the car finally stopped, does this actually help sell more GV80's based on Tiger being alive? It's amazing to hear that the interior was completely intact!
I won't say the interior is completely intact, Woods suffered fairly extreme trauma (lower bones were shattered in multiple places) to his right lower leg which required extensive surgery. Something caused that extreme leg trauma which is TBD but guessing it was in the cabin. Woods was wearing his seatbelt according to police/fire.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-24-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I won't say the interior is completely intact, Woods suffered fairly extreme trauma (lower bones were shattered in multiple places) to his right lower leg which required extensive surgery. Something caused that extreme leg trauma which is TBD but guessing it was in the cabin. Woods was wearing his seatbelt according to police/fire.
I've never had a car flip multiple times over but I would imagine your leg is not completely stationary...
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
One news report I heard mentioned that credit was given to the car for keeping him alive. It may have come from the officers that arrived on the scene.
As that area is known for such accidents, I would imagine most of them have been fatal.
The Genesis did well, but one does have to wonder if he would have had even less injuries (a shattered leg is no joke) if he were in something like a Volvo XC90, which is the gold standard for safety.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I've never had a car flip multiple times over but I would imagine your leg is not completely stationary...
Saw a conversion van (mid-90's Chevy) roll over 5-6 time on I95 in SC goin ~70MPH (it had a tire blowout due to piece of exhaust pipe on the road).
It rolled down the shoulder and down a slight hill. A few other drivers (including a EMT) and myself helped rescue the five adults (three in back not belted in) inside.
Amazingly not a single person was seriously injured, bruised and battered but walked away while waiting for fire/rescue.

Every accident is different but Woods right leg sustained alot of trauma.
Gotta wait for the investigation and better photo's on the interior and surrounding structure to be able to say how well that SUV did.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-24-2021 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Shouldn't the knee air bag(s) protect the lower part of the body from serious injuries when the vehicle crashes.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Shouldn't the knee air bag(s) protect the lower part of the body from serious injuries when the vehicle crashes.
There should have been a knee air bag according to this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kyleedw...h=41e97b2a2fd1
Old 02-24-2021, 02:53 PM
6G TLX-S

There should have been a knee air bag according to this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kyleedw...h=41e97b2a2fd1
^^^^^^
It sounds like a marketing promo article written to boost the GV80.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^^
It sounds like a marketing promo article written to boost the GV80.
True, but miracles like these don't happen everyday. You have to celebrate when you can.

Hopefully advances in technology are making helicopter travel safer since Kobe, his daughter, and the other folks lost their lives.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I have to believe that vehicle has knee bags w/10 airbags standard. Hell, it has a first of it's kind center-side airbag between the driver and the passenger according to this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ty/4573081001/
The following 2 users liked this post by moose66:
ELIN (02-24-2021), Legend2TL (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Orange Den Garage

ShiftingLanes

The following 2 users liked this post by ChodTheWacko:
papachan (02-24-2021), TSX69 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking C&d

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a35343320/2022-acura-mdx-sh-awd-drive/

Tested: 2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD Is a Driver's Family Hauler

Acura's larger 3-row MDX benefits from significantly sharper handling and more technology.

By
Mike Sutton

Feb 24, 2021

View Photos

Michael SimariCar and Driver

UPDATE 2/23/21: This review has been updated with test results.

Acura's driver-focused brand reboot is off to a strong start with the compelling 2021 TLX sports sedan that it introduced late last year. But to be successful in today's market, the brand's recipe for handling prowess also has to work on a hulking, 3-row utility vehicle. Fortunately for the redesigned 2022 MDX—whose predecessor outsold the TLX roughly 2 to 1 in recent years—it does.

The 4th-generation model's athleticism is surprising considering it's about 2 inches longer and wider than before and has a wheelbase that's 2.8 inches longer. Partially compensating for the larger footprint is a new platform, which is stiffer and features a switch from a strut front suspension to a control-arm setup that sharpens its manners and handling. Combined with direct but not overly quick variable-assist steering, the result is a reassuringly positive feel from its front end when turning into corners, regardless of the selected drive mode.

View Photos

HIGHS: Sharper steering and handling, more spacious 2nd and 3rd rows, additional standard tech.

More on Acura MDX and TLX

2022 MDX Is More Expensive and Bigger Inside

Tested: Acura TLX Shows Signs of Greatness
A revised multilink rear suspension and adaptive dampers add to its nimble composure, as does a torque-vectoring rear differential on versions equipped with the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system. Base models get 19-inch wheels, but most trims wear 20s shod with 255/50R-20 Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S all-season tires. Ride quality on the big rollers is taut but never harsh. While road isolation is not as comprehensive as that of, say, an Audi Q7 or a Volvo XC90, the MDX's responsiveness is unexpected for a 7-seat vehicle nearly 200 inches long. A blanket of snow prevented us from learning if the new version improves upon the 0.83 g of lateral grip posted by an all-wheel-drive 2017 MDX we last tested. But our new SH-AWD A-spec test vehicle did stop from 70 mph in 170 feet, which is about par for this segment and a solid 15 feet shorter than its predecessor.

Power comes from Acura's familiar, throaty-sounding 3.5-liter V-6 that's good for 290 horses, which now mates to an automatic transmission with 10 speeds, up from the previous nine. Gear swaps are smooth and well-coordinated. But given the MDX's sportier character, we'd like quicker responses from the 10-speed's paddles on the steering wheel. At 4514 pounds, our test vehicle weighed just shy of 300 pounds more than its predecessor, with that bloat contributing about a half-second to its acceleration times. The run to 60 mph now takes 6.4 seconds and the quarter-mile passes in 15.1 seconds at 93 mph, which feels wholly adequate for a family hauler and is quicker than many workaday 3-row SUVs, such as the Kia Telluride and Mazda CX-9. Both of those vehicles need around seven seconds to hit 60 and a few more tenths to complete a quarter-mile.

View Photos

LOWS: Unimpressive real-world fuel economy, touchpad infotainment interface remains less than intuitive.
Despite the MDX's weight gain, its EPA fuel-economy estimates—21 mpg combined, 19 city, and 25 highway for SH-AWD models—are essentially the same as those of the outgoing model. However, that picture is less rosy in the real world: Our test vehicle averaged a full-size-SUV-like 16 mpg overall, and it only managed 22 mpg on our 75-mph highway test versus 28 mpg for its 2017 model-year counterpart.

A longer hood helps the MDX's handsomely creased bodywork more closely mimic rear-wheel-drive proportions, despite its engine still being mounted transversely. Inside, drivers will appreciate the standard front sport seats and smaller diameter, thicker-rimmed steering wheel. Technophiles will dig the bright 12.3-inch gauge-cluster and infotainment displays, although we maintain that, despite some updates, Acura's touchpad interface is no replacement for a well-executed touchscreen. Aluminum accents and open-pore wood trim combine with ambient lighting to give the MDX's cabin a rich, high-tech vibe that's commensurate with the $61,675 ask of the top Advance SH-AWD model. Prices start at $47,925, a $2400 increase over the outgoing model.

View Photos

Michael SimariCar and DriverAdditional highlights include an available head-up display, 16-speaker ELS audio system with 710 watts, and a removable 2nd-row center console/seat that can convert the central bench to captain's chairs. Comfort levels are high in the middle row, although 6-footers may wish for a bit more legroom when front-seat occupants aren’t feeling generous. Rearmost riders benefit from easier access to a more spacious 3rd row that sits higher off the floor, but adults still won't want to sit back there for long. On the utility front, the MDX tows up to 5000 pounds, and its cargo hold swallows 16 cubic feet of stuff behind the third row, 39 with the 3rd row folded, and 71 with both rows folded.

That the MDX's driver-centric evolution has brought any uptick in versatility is impressive. As it did with the TLX, Acura will offer a Type S version of the MDX later this year, which should be far more interesting with its 355-hp twin-turbo V-6 and larger brakes, wheels, and tires. But even in standard 290-hp form, the MDX reinforces Acura's new direction via its heightened connection with the road.

Specifications2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

VEHICLE TYPE
front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 7-passenger, 4-door wagon

PRICE AS TESTED
$58,625 (base price: $49,925)

ENGINE TYPE
SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement
212 in3, 3471 cm3
Power
290 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque
267 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

TRANSMISSION
10-speed automatic

CHASSIS
Suspension (F/R): control arms/ multilink
Brakes (F/R): 13.8-in vented disc/13.0-in disc
Tires: Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S, 255/50R-20 105H M+S

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.8 in
Length: 198.4 in
Width: 78.7 in
Height: 67.1 in
Passenger volume: 139 ft3
Cargo volume: 16 ft3
Curb weight: 4514 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 6.4 sec
100 mph: 17.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 5.2 sec
1/4 mile: 15.1 sec @ 112 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 112 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 170 ft

Standing-start accel times omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 16 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 22 mpg
Highway range: 400 miles

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/city/highway: 21/19/25 mpg

C/D TESTING EXPLAINED

Last edited by TSX69; 02-25-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reviews seem pretty good, but I think Honda missed a few marks here.

My wife has a 2018 MDX and it's a bit disappointing that Acura punted on the engine. The same engine is saddled with extra weight and the acceleration times are slower. Acura could have done two things in my opinion; First, the 310hp J Series in the RLX would be an easy swap and helped overcome the weight gain. This wouldn't have required much R&D or engineering.

The best option in my opinion would have been to use the new 3.0L turbo engine and "detune" it similar to what Infiniti does in the Q50 (300hp and 400hp version). A 315ish hp turbo motor, which is currently exclusive to Acura, would have been perfect. Then a slot higher output version for the Type S at let's say 385hp.

Lastly, it seems like a lot of the reviews mention the interior trim negatively. Piano finish trim is terrible and easily gets fingerprints, grime, and dust on it. Paying attention to the details here would have helped.

Other than that, I would like to drive the 2022 as our lease expires in June.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
The RLX PAWS version of the J35 is only about 5 lb-ft stronger than the TLX/MDX version so, any noticeable added performance would largely come higher in the powerband where the extra 20hp shines.

But I do agree that the carryover of this same J35 is a bit underwhelming, though a solid motor. My hunch is that Acura didn’t want to risk a lesser 300+hp version hurting the appeal of their 355hp Type S version. On paper, the Type S would then come off as only slightly more powerful than a 310hp base model. (Obviously an FI V6 has a far different characteristic than an NA V6). Again, just my hunch.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by F23A4

(Obviously an FI V6 has a far different characteristic than an NA V6). Again, just my hunch.
Definitely. The single-turbo V6 will have massive torque (especially low end torque) compared to the NA V6 to propel the heavy weight vehicle, provided that turbo lag is minimum. There will be no need for the 10-speed auto tranny to kick down a couple gears to be in the upper power band for decent acceleration power as required for the NA V6.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:03 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
The RLX PAWS version of the J35 is only about 5 lb-ft stronger than the TLX/MDX version so, any noticeable added performance would largely come higher in the powerband where the extra 20hp shines.

But I do agree that the carryover of this same J35 is a bit underwhelming, though a solid motor. My hunch is that Acura didn’t want to risk a lesser 300+hp version hurting the appeal of their 355hp Type S version. On paper, the Type S would then come off as only slightly more powerful than a 310hp base model. (Obviously an FI V6 has a far different characteristic than an NA V6). Again, just my hunch.
The 3.5 engine is not a direct carryover to the 2022. Yes, it's still a 3.5 with the same HP and Torque ratings, but, it's not the same exact engine. Has a new block, new fuel injectors,
new air intake system mounted to the engine, and other changes that actually make it better.

The big help for this already solid engine, is the new 10 speed auto. MUCH better all around than the outgoing 9 speed.
1. 8.9% lower first gear
2. Direct hydraulic pressure clutch control -- for improved shift speed
3. 4 gear direct downshifts...max when needed
4. Newly programmed IDS systems
5. 3.3% wider gear range
Some of the highlights....and they do make this engine perform better esp. with the extra weight over the '20 model. You can tell on some of the test drives that it's pretty snappy. That's the tranny helping
out much more than what the 9 speed did.
I'm happy about the changes and the fact that it works well together...eng. and trans. Just so glad, as many worried, that they didn't do the turbo 2.0 engine! Yikes!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Ghostrider10-32 (02-26-2021), savvich (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I read that in a lot of accidents like that, the driver is pushing down very hard on the brake pedal and that is what causes the injuries to the right leg, ankle, etc. I hadn't hear of injuries to the left leg. But of course it's all speculation. It'd be interesting if in the future a manufacturer could build in a program that would use the surround cameras to start a recording when the vehicle is in an accident. You could then see what happened, to a certain point.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The 3.5 engine is not a direct carryover to the 2022. Yes, it's still a 3.5 with the same HP and Torque ratings, but, it's not the same exact engine. Has a new block, new fuel injectors,
new air intake system mounted to the engine, and other changes that actually make it better.

The big help for this already solid engine, is the new 10 speed auto. MUCH better all around than the outgoing 9 speed.
1. 8.9% lower first gear
2. Direct hydraulic pressure clutch control -- for improved shift speed
3. 4 gear direct downshifts...max when needed
4. Newly programmed IDS systems
5. 3.3% wider gear range
Some of the highlights....and they do make this engine perform better esp. with the extra weight over the '20 model. You can tell on some of the test drives that it's pretty snappy. That's the tranny helping
out much more than what the 9 speed did.
I'm happy about the changes and the fact that it works well together...eng. and trans. Just so glad, as many worried, that they didn't do the turbo 2.0 engine! Yikes!!
Might be a slightly different engine and new 10 speed tranny .... but the fact of the matter is it’s slower to 60 and the quarter mile, and for whatever reason, gets 5 less mpg hwy when compared to a similar equipped 17. If the 9 speed was so bad, why didn’t the 10 speed close the gap a bit.
Might not be a big issue with some, but it is with me. Maybe future tests will indicate better quickness and mpg. I think Honda will realize they have to pump more hp into the 3.5.
The new model is growing on me, but I’m not thrilled with the dash layout, touch pad and poorer performance. I’ll wait for the turbo model.
F23A4 (03-02-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Krauthawk
Might be a slightly different engine and new 10 speed tranny .... but the fact of the matter is it’s slower to 60 and the quarter mile, and for whatever reason, gets 5 less mpg hwy when compared to a similar equipped 17. If the 9 speed was so bad, why didn’t the 10 speed close the gap a bit.
Might not be a big issue with some, but it is with me. Maybe future tests will indicate better quickness and mpg. I think Honda will realize they have to pump more hp into the 3.5.
The new model is growing on me, but I’m not thrilled with the dash layout, touch pad and poorer performance. I’ll wait for the turbo model.
2017 MDX w/ SH-AWDAcura MDX AWD
City MPG: 18 MPG
Highway MPG: 26 MPG
Combined MPG: 21 MPG

2022 MDX w/ SH-AWD
City MPG: 19 MPG
Highway MPG: 25 MPG

2017 MDX w/ SH-AWD 6.2 seconds (Motor Trend)
2022 MDX w/ SH-AWD 6.4 seconds (Motor Trend)

You need to go back and check your specs, 1 MPG less on Highway, not 5 MPG as you quote and gee whiz, 2/10’s of a second slower 0-60, are you racing it? Or using it as intended? Who gives a $hit over 2/10’s of a second, like you are really going to notice😝 and it is heavier than the 3rd Gen. Get your facts straight, the 2022 is better by leaps and bounds over the 3rd Gen and that 9 speed is a dog🤦‍♂️

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 02-27-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gen4MDX
2017 MDX w/ SH-AWDAcura MDX AWD
City MPG: 18 MPG
Highway MPG: 26 MPG

2022 MDX w/ SH-AWD
City MPG: 19 MPG
Highway MPG: 25 MPG

2017 MDX w/ SH-AWD 6.2 seconds (Motor Trend)
2022 MDX w/ SH-AWD 6.4 seconds (Motor Trend)

You need to go back and check your specs, 1 MPG less on Highway, not 5 MPG as you quote and gee whiz, 2/10’s of a second slower 0-60, are you racing it? Or using it as intended? Who gives a $hit over 2/10’s of a second, like you are really going to notice😝 and it is heavier than the 3rd Gen. Get your facts straight, the 2022 is better by leaps and bounds over the 3rd Gen and that 9 speed is a dog🤦‍♂️
Read the article above from 2/25 posted by TSX69.
Real world Hwy mileage was 22 for the 22. It was 28 for the 17. So actually 6 mpg different. Read the article and get your facts straight!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Read the article above from 2/25 posted by TSX69.
Real world Hwy mileage was 22 for the 22. It was 28 for the 17. So actually 6 mpg different. Read the article and get your facts straight!
You cannot compare apples to oranges, I am going by published EPA and manufacture’s printed information. No wonder people are confused when you and other’s spout in-correct information. You are wrong krauthawk. The dude driving could have been flooring it or in stop and go, you do not know the details and your logic is flawed. You are not making an accurate comparison! But go ahead and believe it if you must😆

BTW - MY FACTS ARE STRAIGHT, YOURS ARE BS

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 02-27-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Drifting

You cannot compare apples to oranges, I am going by published EPA and manufacture’s printed information. No wonder people are confused when you and other’s spout in-correct information. You are wrong krauthawk. The dude driving could have been flooring it or in stop and go, you do not know the details and your logic is flawed. You are not making an accurate comparison! But go ahead and believe it if you must😆

From the Car and Driver review that krauthawk referenced:

"Our test vehicle averaged a full-size-SUV-like 16 mpg overall, and it only managed 22 mpg on our 75-mph highway test versus 28 mpg for its 2017 model-year counterpart."

I would imagine they didn't treat this any differently than the GV80. I had a 2018 MDX Tech that go no better than ~19 mpg with 65% city driving. Knowing that the newer MDX retained more or less the same engine and got a LOT heavier means directionally it's going to have worse fuel econ than previous generations despite what Acura is telling you.

Either way, you will let us know what the real world mpg is once you get yours.

Last edited by ELIN; 02-27-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Unless you have the 2 different SUV's being driven together on the same route at the same time, otherwise real world mileage data collected will not be representative enough for comparisons.

Gen4MDX (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

You really sound like a butthurt individual, but that’s OK. You do not know the details either. Both were 75 mile Hwy mileage test by the same publisher. And I was going strictly by the article published. I was using their published info. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy your 22. It looks like a nice vehicle. But as I stated above, I’ll wait for the turbo.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

You really sound like a butthurt individual, but that’s OK. You do not know the details either. Both were 75 mile Hwy mileage test by the same publisher. And I was going strictly by the article published. I was using their published info. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy your 22. It looks like a nice vehicle. But as I stated above, I’ll wait for the turbo.
LOL...not butthurt at all, just stating published MPG’s from the manufacture, you are trying to convince people that the article is the be all end all and you believe it, I don’t, as I said, you cannot compare apples to oranges, also see Edward TLS post above, he is basically saying the samething. And we all remember how fair and balanced MotorTrends initial review of the 2022 MDX was when the embargo was lifted😉
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (03-03-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Yea real world mpg from C/D can be all over the place.

One important fact is that for the 2022 test by car and driver, they did it in snowy weather. It's so bad that they couldn't conduct a lateral grip test. From my personal experience, when driven in the snow or cold weather, the mpg does drop quite a bit. I would imagine the reasons include more air conditioning needed, more accessories on for keeping things warm, more wheelspin resulting in energy being wasted, less chance of engine start/stop being engaged, longer warm up times, etc.

Also, recent Honda engines tend to "open" up after thousands of miles. You get better performance and fuel economy. A good example is the Accord 2.0T:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/

It slashed 0.4s for 0-60mph and went from a 14s car into a 13s car in the 1/4 mile.

My 2019 RDX over time got 10% more efficient with the same driving style/route.

The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (03-03-2021), Gen4MDX (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by iforyou
One important fact is that for the 2022 test by car and driver, they did it in snowy weather. It's so bad that they couldn't conduct a lateral grip test. From my personal experience, when driven in the snow or cold weather, the mpg does drop quite a bit. I would imagine the reasons include more air conditioning needed, more accessories on for keeping things warm, more wheelspin resulting in energy being wasted, less chance of engine start/stop being engaged, longer warm up times, etc.
Yes, that probably had some impact. Still, with the previous gen MDX, I got no better than 19 mpg whether the heat was blasting in the winter or A/C was blasting in the summer. Take my post for what it is, anecdotal evidence from a prior owner.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:09 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

YMMV...as they say lol.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Yes, that probably had some impact. Still, with the previous gen MDX, I got no better than 19 mpg whether the heat was blasting in the winter or A/C was blasting in the summer. Take my post for what it is, anecdotal evidence from a prior owner.
The new MDX will actually be an MPG improvement compared to the car I'll be selling - 2008 RDX. That car typically only sees 17-18 MPG in the city.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by schen72
The new MDX will actually be an MPG improvement compared to the car I'll be selling - 2008 RDX. That car typically only sees 17-18 MPG in the city.
Unfortunately you guys keep gravitating to the paper numbers while folks are giving you real-world numbers. I guess you'll find out when you find out.

I remember Hyundai/Genesis having lots of trouble meeting EPA numbers. It seems even newer Acuras are suffering the same fate, no doubt due to weight gain.
I'll be sure to post in this thread what owners are getting once I hear from them.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately you guys keep gravitating to the paper numbers while folks are giving you real-world numbers. I guess you'll find out when you find out.

I remember Hyundai/Genesis having lots of trouble meeting EPA numbers. It seems even newer Acuras are suffering the same fate, no doubt due to weight gain.
I'll be sure to post in this thread what owners are getting once I hear from them.
Shouldn't we all expect the MPG to be similar to the outgoing generation? It's the same engine. Even though the transmission is new, it's a little heavier I personally feel confident it will be pretty much the same. I also don't think anyone buying this size car really cares all that much about MPG. I know I don't.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by schen72
Shouldn't we all expect the MPG to be similar to the outgoing generation? It's the same engine. Even though the transmission is new, it's a little heavier I personally feel confident it will be pretty much the same. I also don't think anyone buying this size car really cares all that much about MPG. I know I don't.
Well, the funny thing about paper numbers is they tend to be compared against each other when cross-shopping.

You may not care about MPG but everyone will be affected. The avg US gas price could be $3/gallon by summer:

https://fox8.com/news/analysts-say-g...l-possibility/
Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Well, the funny thing about paper numbers is they tend to be compared against each other when cross-shopping.

You may not care about MPG but everyone will be affected. The avg US gas price could be $3/gallon by summer:

All the more reason to keep my rear in my "now generic" 2020 hybrid!!!
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Matt Maran Motoring

First person to note that the touchpad interface isn't passenger friendly, and how a touchscreen would be much better for that.
Note: The reviewer is 5' 9", did the 'sit behind myself sitting behind myself' test, and didn't have any complaints.
Of course, YMMV goes depending on height/leg length ratios, but it's a starting point.

Ben Hardy (no driving)

Last edited by ChodTheWacko; 03-02-2021 at 09:19 PM.
TSX69 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I already pay $3.90-$4.00 here in SF bay area for premium.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Here are some EPA ratings for MDX's direct competion:

Q7 2.0T AWD: 19/23/21
GLE350 AWD: 19/26/22
RX350L AWD: 18/25/21
MDX AWD: 19/25/21

YMMV in the real world but in terms of EPA ratings the MDX is right in line with the competition, if not slightly better.

The added benefit is that the MDX is the fastest out of these while offering a V6 engine.
Gen4MDX (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Matt Maran's...
TSX69 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
TSX69 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Definitely Acura paid these guys to give a positive review. It can’t be this good. Hyundai Santa Fe is the best, everyone should buy that one. 🤣😂
Old 03-10-2021, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb MotorMouth

Tony Pac (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Watched this last night! pretty good comparison. Acura nailed the MDX!

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews