2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I'll concede that the power rear sunshades and bending headlights would be nice to have but the rest of the stuff are only needed to feel like I'm sitting at home instead of a car.

You do know Mercedes charges an arm and a leg for every incremental "luxury" item, right? None of that stuff would make their base model.

Acura has cut their losses by not offering expensive options that only 10% of folks want.
Yes, I absolutely acknowledge that, but what happens is that automakers put their best foot forward when they send their cars to the reviewers, and so fully loaded cars end up setting the baseline in the minds of these reviewers. Then, when they review another car that's "fully loaded" but doesn't have nearly the same amount of features, it becomes a noticeable omission, even if said features are of questionable value or usefulness. For instance, is 4-zone really that necessary vs 3-zone? Probably not...but 4 > 3, and lots of lesser cars have 3 zone these days, so luxury cars should have 4.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Agree, many of the testers don’t know what they are talking about as numerous testers when talking about the Type S say it has a twin turbo😝 when it is a TWIN SCROLL TURBO✌️
Yes, I've written about this very issue often. These "testers"....when they hear "twin" and the word "turbo" they automatically assume it has...2 turbos! NO...it does not. The main issue with these people is that
most do not have a true "car background...mechanical or maybe race driving, etc." Joe Raiti raced cars at all the major road courses for 4 yrs. His Dad had a auto shop. Joe worked there when he was in school,
before college. Yes, Joe does make some errors on tech. facts at times, and I wish he would clean that up, but, with his auto background and experiences.....he KNOWS the difference between a "twin turbo" and a
"twin scroll turbo." Let's have a test on here, a separate Thread..and ask "what IS a twin scroll turbo?" OK...we won't..you 'all would go to Google right away...IF you didn't already know. LOL!!!
Old 01-29-2021, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Yes, I've written about this very issue often. These "testers"....when they hear "twin" and the word "turbo" they automatically assume it has...2 turbos! NO...it does not. The main issue with these people is that
most do not have a true "car background...mechanical or maybe race driving, etc." Joe Raiti raced cars at all the major road courses for 4 yrs. His Dad had a auto shop. Joe worked there when he was in school,
before college. Yes, Joe does make some errors on tech. facts at times, and I wish he would clean that up, but, with his auto background and experiences.....he KNOWS the difference between a "twin turbo" and a
"twin scroll turbo." Let's have a test on here, a separate Thread..and ask "what IS a twin scroll turbo?" OK...we won't..you 'all would go to Google right away...IF you didn't already know. LOL!!!
It doesn't help when BMW calls their twin-scroll single turbo a "TwinPower Turbo"
Old 01-29-2021, 03:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
I have heated windshield in the rdx. Its not available on the mdx? Or is it a Canadian only feature?
Old 01-29-2021, 03:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Take aways from watching all the MDX reviews??

My background taught me to study all you can about a subject that has been written about by many "knowing individuals" and then try to make sense out of what they all wrote and go from there.

In the case of all these testers, here's what I will take away from it. My "mental notes" of all the so called good things and the so called bad things....and when I look the beast over and drive it,
I will zero in on those issues....good and bad...according to them. Then I'll decide what I sense is right or way off, etc. I will NOT just take one person's opinion and "go with it."

I do have a tech background...extensive in many ways. Auto: at 16 I tore my Chevy V8 engine down to replace the camshaft and have the heads done, etc. My FIRST attempt at something
of that scale. It went back together and I set up the 4bbl carb, got the timing right etc, and it ran perfectly for many fun miles after that. Did it on my own...my Dad didn't help. His job kept
him away lots of the time. He checked my work after back together, etc, but, that was it. I learned from books, auto repair manuals, etc. Esp. the ones that had great pics to with the written
parts. That helped.
Later I went to the A.F. and a tech school that taught me LOTS of mech. "machines." Gas engines, turbine engines, air compressors, air cond. units, heaters....all portable units to take
out to aircraft being worked on. Worked on that stuff for 10 yrs. Then I taught the very tech school I went to for 5 yrs. I also taught all the major systems on the DC-10 jumbo jetliner
after I retired and went to McDonnell Douglas.
That included: engines, entire fuel storage and delivery, cabin heating, cooling and pressurization, and later everything in the cockpit except avionics and actual "flying that bird"...although
I did fly the DC-10 full motion simulator that pilots trained on, and I was able to fly it and land. Fun. Of course I crashed it a couple of times before I got "good at it!" LOL!

When you are a "car nut" like me, it's nice to have a decent mech. background. I will admit I can't work on the computers etc, now....all that stuff left me behind. But, there is still much I can
do, and have done to my Mustangs. And tinkering on the Acura's at times. Nothing major of course. Under Warranty!!! LOL!!

Old 01-29-2021, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I have heated windshield in the rdx. Its not available on the mdx? Or is it a Canadian only feature?
I didn't see the button in any of the interior images, and Acura makes no mention of it in any of their marketing materials or the spec sheet as a feature.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am sure it's a Canadian thing
Old 01-29-2021, 04:17 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Acura does not list the "edge heating for the windshield" for any MDX, U.S. model.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
My 19 MDX Hybrid Adv has heated windshield with on/off button. It only heats up the wiper area and it only turns on (in Auto mode) when the temp gets below 39 degrees F (off above 43 degrees F). My 18 RLX hybrid has the same heated windshield elements; but, no separate button (one button with rear defogger, heated door mirrors, and heated windshield all together).

Acura probably kept the same type of windshield heating for the 4th gen MDX?
Old 01-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The heated windshield has been standard on the US Advance package since 2017, and has never formally been highlighted in any marketing material. That said, I reviewed a dash picture of an 2022 Advance and sure enough the heated windshield button is missing, however I did spot the button on the dash of a Type S model pictured back in December. If this is another "Type-S-only" feature, that's slightly disappointing.

As it is, the $6K premium Advance above the Tech is already a tough pill to swallow for most from a dollar-for-dollar/feature-for-feature standpoint. My son would be in a Tech today, but they "got him" with the Advance's 360 camera due to his tight alley garage confinements in Chicago.

My guess is, like clockwork, certain "missing" premium Type-S and even Advance features will make there way down to the other models come the MMC in 2025, as we've seen happen previously with both the 2010 and 2017 MMC MDXs in years past.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb The Car Connection

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...crossover-suvs

2022 Acura MDX vs. 2021 Kia Telluride: Compare Crossover SUVs

2021 Kia Telluride

#1 in Large SUVs
Expert Rating

People's Vote

37 votesCast Your Vote!
Read full review »

2022 Acura MDX

Expert Rating

People's Vote

29 votesCast Your Vote!
Read full review »
Martin Padgett Editorial Director

January 29, 20213-row crossover SUVs pepper the landscape of America like minivans did a generation ago. Many of these 7- and 8-seat crossovers are good—but which of the better efforts really is the best?

We’ve driven the 2022 Acura MDX, and found plenty to admire in its suave good looks, its well-sorted handling, and its high level of standard safety gear. Funny thing is, we’ve said the same things about our Best Car To Buy 2020 and our Best Family Car To Buy 2021, the Kia Telluride.

Just between us, between the 2—which one’s better?

Both apply some sensual filters over what’s essentially a family-wagon shape. The Telluride’s crafted with angles and slightly rounded corners, an homage to American SUVs more than it is to South Korea’s own trend-setting looks. We can’t help but think GMC with the Telluride’s bracket-shaped lights and its rectangular features, but there’s a warmth and sophistication in its cabin and in the synthesis of lines that even eludes GM’s classy truck outfit. The MDX? It’s clearly patterned after European sport wagons, from the broadly angled and handsomely textured grille to its undulating fenders to the upkick in its rear roof pillars. Inside it’s elevated by one sweeping gesture, a ribbon of trim that waves across the cockpit in discreet wood tones or matte aluminum finish.

Acura’s better at suspension tuning and its 10-speed automatic bolts on more potential than the Telluride’s 8-speed auto. The MDX V-6 can drone at higher speeds (and its added-in engine noise doesn’t do it many favors), but it’s the more flexible of the 2 powertrains. It’s also paired with a far more refined suspension, with springs and dampers that confront small bumps and absorb big ones; the Telluride tries to smother them all, with some luck. Neither has the steering feel of a mid-priced sport sedan, but the twin-turbo V-6 MDX Type S in the offing might change our minds.

2022 Acura MDX

The MDX swaddles front-seat passengers in multi-adjustable buckets with deeper sculpting than those in the Telluride, and its 2nd-row bench seat has a removable section that switches it to 6-passenger mode, with a useful aisle to the skimpy rear seat. The Kia’s configuration is more conventional, and it’s more spacious too, with adult space in even the 3rd row.

2021 Kia Telluride

In both, all passengers get the benefit of standard automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and blind-spot monitors. Acura charges $47,925 for a base MDX without leather, with an average 4-year/50,000-mile warranty, and with an infotainment system that doesn’t accept touch inputs; it’s a remote touchpad or voice commands. Kia’s touchscreens are wide and lush, its warranty a year and 10,000 miles longer, and its price thousands lower than the MDX, even in its most expensive Telluride SX trim.

We won’t whiff and tell you we really can’t choose. We can, for now at least. The Telluride’s substantially less expensive, rivals the Acura in technology, has better infotainment, more 3rd-row space, and ultimately, a higher TCC Rating, with the MDX at a 7.0 and the Telluride at 7.5 out of 10. (Read more about how we rate cars.) But the 2022 MDX hasn’t been crash-tested yet—and if all goes well, it’ll be exceedingly close between the 2.

MORE: Compare detailed specs for 2021 Kia Telluride and 2022 Acura MDX

Summary

The 2021 Kia Telluride earns our Best Car To Buy nod with its excellent features, warranty, space, and style.
The 2022 Acura MDX wears its new flagship mantle with confidence, from its styling to its eager road manners.

Styling

Kia plays the corners with the Telluride, and wins.
Read More
The MDX drapes a sinuous body over an expressive interior.
Read More

Performance

The Telluride’s a smooth ride, though not an overly quick one.
Read More
The 2022 MDX is a road-tripper’s delight.
Read More

Comfort & Quality

People, stuff, pets? Bring them all along in the Kia Telluride.
Read More
The MDX can seat up to 7; 5get the royal treatment.
Read More

Safety

Safety gets its day in the sun in the Telluride.
Read More
Acura hopes for top-notch scores, but the MDX hasn’t been tested yet.
Read More

Features

Value is just the first of the Telluride’s best features.
Read More
Thumbs up for the standard features; thumbs down for the MDX’s touchy interface.
Read More

Fuel Economy

Telluride gas mileage isn’t its best story to tell.
Read More
The 2022 MDX earns low-20s EPA ratings.
Read More

Old 01-29-2021, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
I was looking at Telluride/Palisade when I was shopping SUV instead of sedan. MSRP was the lowest they’d go. Didn’t even consider buying out my MDX, sadly.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:33 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My 19 MDX Hybrid Adv has heated windshield with on/off button. It only heats up the wiper area and it only turns on (in Auto mode) when the temp gets below 39 degrees F (off above 43 degrees F). My 18 RLX hybrid has the same heated windshield elements; but, no separate button (one button with rear defogger, heated door mirrors, and heated windshield all together).

As I already stated...no windshield heating for any 2022 model MDX in the U.S.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:38 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by bilirubin
It doesn't help when BMW calls their twin-scroll single turbo a "TwinPower Turbo"
LOL...wow...a Twin Power Turbo....that should help keep everyone that is not mech. inclined in the dark about what all these designations mean.

This guy that did the comparison between the MDX and the Telluride.....wrote that he's waiting for the....twin turbo V6 in the Type S!!! Unknowing testers!!!
Old 01-29-2021, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Our 2017 Advanxe has heated windshield as well it has it's own dedicated button on the side instrument panel.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL...wow...a Twin Power Turbo....that should help keep everyone that is not mech. inclined in the dark about what all these designations mean.

This guy that did the comparison between the MDX and the Telluride.....wrote that he's waiting for the....twin turbo V6 in the Type S!!! Unknowing testers!!!
When testers don’t even know that the new Type S will not have a twin turbo, but instead a single turbo, I lose confidence in and question the rest of their evaluation.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-13-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Here's my take. Acura's theme in recent years is about "Precision Crafted Performance." Arguably, that started in 2017 with the NSX. It was then followed by the TLX facelift in 2018, full RDX redesigned in 2019, full TLX redesigned in 2021, and now the 2022 MDX. None of these models set blazing performance numbers, no. It's safe to say though that each of the above update makes the car much more enjoyable to drive than their predecessors. In fact, based on the reviews on the 2021 TLX and 2022 MDX, these are the most fun to drive vehicles in their respective segments. The Type S version should then up the actual performance envelope to better match the others.

As such, I'm not sure if they are that big on making their cars as luxury as possible. I feel like they are more about delivering fun to drive performance. They have certainly stiffened the chassis by a lot. They now went back to double wishbone front suspension. Looking at the reviews, pretty much all the reviewers are having a blast driving these around twisty roads. The 3G MDX was actually known to be quite fun to drive already, and the 4G is on another level.

I think this is where the MDX stands out amongst its competition. It delivers huge driving fun while undercutting them in price, without sacrificing comfort. In terms of actual features, it's also debatable. For instance, it's probably the first time I've seen 3-position memory seating for an Acura, and that's more than say, a Lexus RX. I believe the RX also only has at most 10-way adjustable seats. The MDX has 16-way. Also 3rd row seating isn't standard on every single competitor and on every single trim.

I guess the point is that in this segment, you can get certain exclusive features in one car, and then other exclusive features in another, MDX included. It may not have this and that, but it has other things that not everyone has.
Yep, I'm pretty sure Jon Ikeda came out recently and said they are not a luxury brand per se but a performance brand. Now "performance" can be defined in a number of ways with horsepower being the most common but in today's day and age that seems like diminishing returns in a big way (why does anything really need more more than 300-400hp?). Driving enjoyment, OTOH, is another measure of performance and it seems that's a space that Acura is comfortable playing in and which their platforms easily support. Being a premium performance brand (vs a luxury brand) is probably a nice little niche to be in but you'll get cross shopped by a lot of folks at both ends - someone looking at a Telluride/CX-9 and then someone looking at a Q7/XC90.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
iforyou (01-31-2021), steve_97060 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Finally watched most of these reviews. Thanks fam for sharing.

Well done Acura. It’s feel refreshing to see Acura is stepping up their game since summer 2018. MDX is the recent testament of their new vision and future.

Definitely we will see positive and negative reviews but that’s part of the game. Also Acura can’t make everyone happy and that’s fine also. There are some great alternatives for those buyers 😉
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-30-2021), Gen4MDX (01-30-2021), steve_97060 (01-31-2021), Stew4HD (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Another reason for Acura to bring back the hybrid option for the sedans and SUVs. I average 24-26 in my MDX 321hp/4400lbs hybrid and 28-29 for my 377hp/4300lbs RLX hybrid. I love the new interiors; but, I don't want to take a step backwards on mpgs, hp/tq, and performance (less hp/tq loss at 5000-7500 feet with electric power).
I agree with you. I can’t remember where I read but basically they are saying hybrid isn’t the future. I could be very wrong, but may be Acura will work along with Honda in the next 4-5 years to replace the entire fleet by electric cars. Who knows?
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Reviewers have been nearly universal in saying the GV80's ride is harsh. I think they're starting to say the same about the MDX.

Should the double wishbone suspension improve ride quality or is it purely only for handling?
Old 01-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Atlanta

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...acura-mdx.html

Automotive Minute: Redesigned 2022 Acura MDX is a true winner (Photos)

VIEW SLIDESHOW
12 photos

In This Article

By Eileen Falkenberg-Hull – Editor, AutomotiveMap
a day ago
Acura has a fresh flagship.

The redesigned 2022 Acura MDX is a three-row SUV that crams comfort, convenience, performance, and style into one not-very-cramped package. It's truly a job well done, but for more reasons than it looks good and drives well.

The MDX ended 2020 as the second best-selling Acura in the stable. Its redesign is very important for the company as more competitors enter the market and technology quickly evolves. The new MDX also signals another step in the revitalization of Acura as it evolves into a performance-focused brand with luxury-level features for a premium price.

The luxury arm of Honda has turned toward a more premium design for the MDX and it shows, starting with the face where the three-row SUV's long hood and elongated dash-to-axle ratio give the MDX a sophisticated look when paired with the vehicle's athletic stance. The look is bolder and more upright, but also more sculpted than the previous generation model, accented with slick LED light signatures on either side of the grille.

Powering the MDX is an enhanced version of the company's 3.5-liter V6 engine. It produces 290 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque. There's been a one decibel reduction in mid-frequency noise and 1.5 decibel reduction in high-frequency noise coming from the engine. Honda's 10-speed automatic transmission seamlessly works up and down to complete the powertrain.

Standard with 2-wheel drive but tested with all-wheel drive, the SUV's fuel economy numbers were more expected than impressive with Comfort yielding the highest fuel economy while Sport proved the least efficient option.

Acura has built the 2022 MDX on its new light truck platform. It's developed for sporty Type S performance (an Acura MDX Type S is planned for later this year) but also does the job of making this version of the MDX a more pleasurable drive, when its rigidity is combined with the new double wishbone front suspension and improved multi-link rear suspension.

Body lean and sway has been significantly cut down in the new model. The MDX is agile, but drives the same size as its footprint. Putting it into a parking space is significantly easier than it is with some

The SUV's electric power steering delivers connected results with even its Comfort drive mode acting more in tune with the driver's on-road responsibilities than any modern BMW Comfort setting has ever allowed. Switch to Sport mode and the accelerator is suddenly very eager to deliver as smooth acceleration as is possible, and removes stop/start engine idling without having to press any other button.

Recommended

Normal mode puts the drive dynamics halfway between Comfort and Sport while Snow mode aims to boost the driving confidence of customers in the top half of the U.S. A customizable Individual mode allows drivers to customize their engine, steering, suspension, idle stop, lighting, and gauge cluster experiences.

Braking is smooth and connected, without the issues that have been the thorn in the side of the Acura RDX since its current generation debuted.

Wider tires (Bridgestone Alenzas) and wheels (20-inch on most models) make the cabin of the MDX a serene place to be.

If the interior of the MDX looks familiar to you, that's because it should. It's basically an adapted version of the TLX's interior, at least up front. This means that the design allows for a feeling of spaciousness and organization. There's plenty of buttons and knobs yet the space doesn't feel dated.

The 12.3-inch high-definition infotainment screen is set back into the dashboard so that it's easier to see while driving. I like it. Nearly every function of conducting day-to-day life in the vehicle is made easier by this sight line. But, because of its distance, the screen isn't easily reached.

Enter: touch pad control. If you have the Lexus track pad in your mind, forget about it. Acura has done a marvelous job engineering the touch pad to be more like an iPad and less like a typical mouse. In that way, selecting things on the screen is a 1-touch, 1-selection choice rather than dragging and scrolling. Once you get the feel for it, the pad is easily able to be used.
The true test of how how well laid out a center console and head unit are is to attempt to control a vehicle's key infotainment, climate, and charging functionality on the go, in the dark, with as little in-cabin light as is possible to achieve. The MDX setup passes this test with flying colors, even with only an hour or so behind the wheel prior to conducting this test.

The materials inside the MDX also pass the test. Real aluminum accents, Milano leather, contrast stitching, and real open-pore wood make the SUV seem far more luxurious than its price point would allow you to believe it is.

This goes for the fully digital instrument display as well. It's easy to read at all times of the day and puts the information you don't use very often, like the odometer, current music selection, and compass, off to the side in a crisp and easy-to-read area, but in small size characters.

The previous generation MDX was comfortable and the new MDX takes that comfort up a notch. It's front row seats are better than anything its German rivals offer and the 1-touch multi-function second row seats easily flip forward to make room for incoming 3rd-row passengers. There's more space in the 3rd row in this generation but adults likely won't want to spend much time back there.

Acura has also improved the cargo capacity for the new generation. The 2 tier floor offers 80% more usable under-floor cargo space. This means that a typical grocery run, sans a high quantity of toilet paper and paper towels, is able to fit without having to utilize above-floor cargo space. A power tailgate with hands-free capability is available.
Over-the-air infotainment system updates are possible in this new model thanks to its standard Wi-Fi hot spot. Amazon Alexa is built in and the system is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. Using the wireless Apple CarPlay system proved challenging at times as the connection would dip in and out, though the issue wasn't problematic enough to switch to using a cable. 3rd-row USB ports are available.

Parents will enjoy the ability to use Cabin Talk to chat with passengers in the rear of the vehicle without having to shout. This feature debuted on the Honda Odyssey and has been brought over to Acura's flagship for the new model year.

Nesting a smartphone in the wireless charger puts it out of mind, but not out of sight. There's an arm rest segment that goes over the charger serving as a spot to rest a wrist while using the touch pad and keep the phone from leaving the charger in the event of a quick stop. Win-win.

Upgraded versions of the MDX get an ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio system. The sound from it is crisp and powerful, something an audiophile can appreciate and someone who simply likes singing along to Lizzo while on the road can enjoy.

Acura has given the MDX gobs of safety technology, but it's all fully manageable. Unlike what you'll find in many brands, you can take the adaptive cruise control but leave the lane keeping technology if you don't want it by simply failing to press an activation button on the steering wheel. This is particularly helpful in areas with a string of potholes or highway construction zones where multiple lane lines are present.
Traffic sign recognition, a driver attention monitor, expanded pedestrian detection capability, and traffic jam assist have been added for 2022 joining the collision mitigation braking system, forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control with low-speed follow, lane keeping assist, and road departure mitigation.

Blind spot monitoring alerts are elegantly placed at the junction of the side mirror and A-pillar, inside the car, and are hard to miss when making a lane change.

There's safety improvements for those surrounding the MDX as well. The company's engineers have made the face of the vehicle better able to protect pedestrians in the event of a crash by making crash zone areas more deformable and able to take on the impact of a crash, and protecting the lower half of the body by having a flatter nose.

Acura has also installed the latest air bag technology in the MDX, which, when deployed, is able to reduce brain tissue injury by 75 percent over the previous generation of airbags.

The 2022 Acura MDX starts at $46,900. That's a sweet spot, rivaling the starting price of the Cadillac XT6, Genesis GV80, Lexus RX-L, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, and Audi Q7. Acura tops out the MDX just over $60,000, which doesn't seem unreasonable given the cost of the competition.

If I wanted a premium 3-row crossover, would I buy the Acura MDX? In. A. Heartbeat. It drives better and has a nicer interior than the Cadillac XT6 and Lexus RX-L. It drives better than the BMW X5, has a better infotainment system than the Volvo XC90, and is more attractive than the Audi Q7. Plus, it's priced right.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-30-2021), Gen4MDX (01-30-2021), Tony Pac (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:42 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Finally watched most of these reviews. Thanks fam for sharing.

Well done Acura. It’s feel refreshing to see Acura is stepping up their game since summer 2018. MDX is the recent testament of their new vision and future.

Definitely we will see positive and negative reviews but that’s part of the game. Also Acura can’t make everyone happy and that’s fine also. There are some great alternatives for those buyers 😉
There is no perfect car. Make a list of all the "good things"....and make a list of "things you can't compromise".....and go with the list that's the longest. I've purchased approx. 65 vehicles, and right at 45 new ones,
and haven't had a perfect one yet. What I do know from all that ownership experience...Honda Motor Corp. makes some pretty good vehicles. I've owned around 20 Hondas and Acuras.
Tony Pac (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:50 PM
AZ Community Team

There is no perfect car. Make a list of all the "good things"....and make a list of "things you can't compromise".....and go with the list that's the longest. I've purchased approx. 65 vehicles, and right at 45 new ones,
and haven't had a perfect one yet. What I do know from all that ownership experience...Honda Motor Corp. makes some pretty good vehicles. I've owned around 20 Hondas and Acuras.
Totally agreed! I am pretty confident even if you spent $100K in car, still there are imperfections and missing features.

the good news is that there are many vehicles there for everyone’s taste. I am happy Acura delivered three great vehicles since 2018. Waiting for the 4th one
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-30-2021), Gen4MDX (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Reviewers have been nearly universal in saying the GV80's ride is harsh. I think they're starting to say the same about the MDX.

Should the double wishbone suspension improve ride quality or is it purely only for handling?
Overall the new front and rear suspension will or does help handling and ride. That is why Acura chose NOT to put Adjustable dampers on the Adv. as they did
on the Gen 3. That should say something. ALL 4 current versions have the same Amplitude/Reactive Dampers.....meaning they do their thing...we cannot "adjust
how they ride." Comfort Mode is NOT adjusting the dampers in the new 2022. It adjusts many driving/tech. parameters. Just not the dampers.
ELIN (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Комфортный режим НЕ регулирует амортизаторы в новом 2022 году. Он регулирует многие параметры вождения / техники. параметры. Только не заслонки. [/ QUOTE]
Взаимодействие с другими людьми

Well, figs knows, guys. What is it then ?: at 4:45 minutes
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by savvich:
mrgold35 (01-31-2021), TSX69 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Topher

Gen4MDX (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
waiting for good reviews of the advance trim - almost all of them are for the a-spec.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
TOPHER Video above
Best driving video to date IMO!

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 01-30-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:53 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by tsturbo
TOPHER Video above
Best driving video to date IMO!
Yes, I like this one too....BUT, late in the video did you hear him call the upcoming Type S a....Twin Turbo?? Yes, he did. LOL....just another example of these testers NOT knowing
the vehicles that they are talking about, and thus "teaching" unknowing vid watchers info that is not true. They all need to clean this up!! Esp. IF they want us to take them seriously.
Sorry, but, I do expect accurate and correct info IF this is your job...testers!!! And I don't think he "misspoke." Too many testers have said the same thing.

He kept referencing the "power" of the 3.5. It's still the same one HMC has been using for a long time. The difference in the new MDX that makes this engine work and perform SO
much better is.....that new 10 speed trans. Just a fact. I've owned them all. Engineers said they made 1st gear lower than the 9 speed trans of the Gen 3, and they tuned this 10 speed trans
to work very well with this engine. I like it a lot, and haven't even driven it yet. Can't wait.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:55 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
waiting for good reviews of the advance trim - almost all of them are for the a-spec.
Not sure IF you didn't like the ones that did the Adv, but, there are a few of them out there now.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:34 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I'm surprised Acura eliminated the electronic dampers for the 4th Gen. That would a good option for those buyers that like a more Lexus tuned ride compared to the more sporty tuned Acura suspension? I had no issues with the internal gas door release button on my previous Acuras. My son has the same touch gas door on his Honda Civic and it is always popped out. He has taken it back several times to get it fixed and it always ends up popping out again later.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Yes, I like this one too....BUT, late in the video did you hear him call the upcoming Type S a....Twin Turbo?? Yes, he did. LOL....just another example of these testers NOT knowing
the vehicles that they are talking about, and thus "teaching" unknowing vid watchers info that is not true. They all need to clean this up!! Esp. IF they want us to take them seriously.
Sorry, but, I do expect accurate and correct info IF this is your job...testers!!! And I don't think he "misspoke." Too many testers have said the same thing.

He kept referencing the "power" of the 3.5. It's still the same one HMC has been using for a long time. The difference in the new MDX that makes this engine work and perform SO
much better is.....that new 10 speed trans. Just a fact. I've owned them all. Engineers said they made 1st gear lower than the 9 speed trans of the Gen 3, and they tuned this 10 speed trans
to work very well with this engine. I like it a lot, and haven't even driven it yet. Can't wait.
I understand what you're saying but I do believe that it's also Acura's fault for not making this well-publicized. If you go to this site, Acura seems to purposefully intermix mention of the NSX's twin-turbo with the Type S "dual scroll" to add to the confusion:

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...essive-styling

If you Google "Type S and twin scroll," you will actually find barely any Acura sites providing info. It's more Acura's lack of knowledge proliferation and I don't blame the reviewers for this confusion at all.

Since the official Acura term is "dual scroll," we should use that from now on instead of "twin scroll" when referring to Type S.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I understand what you're saying but I do believe that it's also Acura's fault for not making this well-publicized. If you go to this site, Acura seems to purposefully intermix mention of the NSX's twin-turbo with the Type S "dual scroll" to add to the confusion:

If you Google "Type S and twin scroll," you will actually find barely any Acura sites providing info. It's more Acura's lack of knowledge proliferation and I don't blame the reviewers for this confusion at all.

Since the official Acura term is "dual scroll," we should use that from now on instead of "twin scroll" when referring to Type S.
the problems lies with the lack of the reviewer's basic fundamental reading skills. The PR you linked is clear that the twin-turbo is only used in two sentences and both times references the NSX in the same sentence.
Same goes for the dual scroll where it's mentioned. So to blame the Acura which presented the info clearly and not the reviewer seems like passing the blame when lack of knowledge was the culprit

Also one of the world's larger turbo manufacturers also distinguishes their difference of twin scroll and dual scroll for their turbo technology
https://www.turbocharger.mtee.eu/tur...line-vehicles/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-31-2021 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
florissant (02-01-2021), Gen4MDX (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Not sure IF you didn't like the ones that did the Adv, but, there are a few of them out there now.
I may have missed some, but most of the reviews of the advanced don't really show the advanced features!

Ask and ye shall receive though:

First video I've seen that actually showed me the 360 camera and a (brief) glimpse of the HUD.
That's what I'm talking about.

That is HOT though that the HUD shows android auto directions! Is this the first HUD to do this?
I'm not horribly impressed with the transitions between the 'edges' of the 360 camera.
It's functional enough though, and looks clear enough. Be nice to see it more in motion, but i'll take what I can get for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChodTheWacko:
florissant (02-01-2021), TSX69 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Also one of the world's larger turbo manufacturers also distinguishes their difference of twin scroll and dual scroll for their turbo technology
https://www.turbocharger.mtee.eu/tur...line-vehicles/
That link appears to imply that "twin scroll" and "dual scroll" are not the same. If this is the case, then everyone on Acurazine has been using "twin scroll" improperly as well when talking about the Type S. Both reviewers and Acurazine members are guilty of spreading misinformation.

I thought Acura did a masterful job using "inception" techniques in their press release. LOL!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Old 01-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

It's semantics often. Just like when different entities try and give a name to "shock absorbers" in today's world. Now they are "dampers." And then, they are either "amplitude or reactive"...both are the same!
The there are "adjustable"....THOSE are the "good ones!" LOL...set your ride how you want it. And, again, our MDX will not have "adj. dampers!" Just trying to keep folks straight. LOL.....

So, my key issue is that folks understand that the: TLX, RDX, MDX Type S....they do not have "twin turbos"....or more clearly..???....2 separate turbo chargers. LOL!!
I know exactly how twin scroll turbos are built and how they function. But, most don't. There are some great vids on showing...in color...how they are built and function and WHY they are so much more efficient...
all around...vs. just a regular turbo. But, "angry folks out there"...LOL....I KNOW....it depends on HOW the engine in a certain vehicle is to be used....so, in some circumstances a reg. turbocharger is great.
The ones used in most all modern car..."street engines" are dual scroll...twin scroll.....LOL!!
Old 01-31-2021, 03:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I may have missed some, but most of the reviews of the advanced don't really show the advanced features!

Ask and ye shall receive though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXBjgr_qvA

First video I've seen that actually showed me the 360 camera and a (brief) glimpse of the HUD.
That's what I'm talking about.

That is HOT though that the HUD shows android auto directions! Is this the first HUD to do this?
I'm not horribly impressed with the transitions between the 'edges' of the 360 camera.
It's functional enough though, and looks clear enough. Be nice to see it more in motion, but i'll take what I can get for now.
The one messenger here posted a ton of 2022 MDX pdf guides, etc. One was THE Owner's Manual for the MDX. I have it downloaded and was glancing through it last night. It's just
amazing...to this old guy...the amount of tech and features, etc, that are crammed in to our vehicles today. I miss the simpler days. Yeah...the one where I had to roll up the windows with
a crank!! Keeps you in shape!! LOL!! Or the hard solid dashes that if you hit it with your head in an accident....well, you're dead!! You know...the "good 'ol days!" Where I needed a metal key
to put in the lock on the door to get in, and to use a different one for the ignition system. Bias ply tires...oh how I MISS them....yeah right!! OK....I digress.
ChodTheWacko (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:07 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Twin scroll.....Dual scroll

That link appears to imply that "twin scroll" and "dual scroll" are not the same. If this is the case, then everyone on Acurazine has been using "twin scroll" improperly as well when talking about the Type S. Both reviewers and Acurazine members are guilty of spreading misinformation.

I thought Acura did a masterful job using "inception" techniques in their press release. LOL!
The technical definition of the two ARE the same. They are one and the same. A single turbo, with 2 exhaust pathways to spin the turbine wheel.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:21 PM
Drifting

The technical definition of the two ARE the same. They are one and the same. A single turbo, with 2 exhaust pathways to spin the turbine wheel.
Strange that Mitsubishi would split them into 2 different technologies.

I suggest using “dual scroll” from now on as folks will be less likely to assume “twin turbo” when reading “twin.”

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews