2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Miles quoted a 7.0 second 0-60 in the description. In the past, Miles said he doesn't measure it himself but rather quotes whatever the Acura rep tells him (which tends to be quite conservative). For the TLX 2.0T he was quoted a 6.5 second time and in reality it was established to be a 5.7 to 5.9 second car. So the MDX should do 0-60 in the mid-6's (or slightly quicker), which is what you'd expect with the 3.5L + 10-speed pairing that we saw in the Odyssey (~4500lbs, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds).
According to the link below, the 2022 MDX AWD A-Spec weighs 4534 lbs. Since that's Odyssey weight, the matching 6.5 sec time sounds about right.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...s-and-features

Compared to last year's A-Spec, the 2022 A-Spec put on 259 lb!

Last edited by ELIN; 01-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmoua15 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Loving the A-Spec trim, especially those alloy wheels.

Best parts of Joe's video:

- Reversible cargo area
- Removing the 2nd row center console can give 3rd row passengers possible leg room

Most disturbing part of Joe's video:

Joe's Twinkies expire in 2054! I'm glad my Twinkies days are over!
The old joke...and probably true....is that if you put a Twinkie in the county disposal site it will still be there and edible 100 yrs later! Now those are some preservatives!! Joe would be proud! LOL!!
ELIN (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

At the 20:11 timestamp, he performs a 0-60. I clocked ~6.5 sec for this MDX A-Spec.

This is a bit slower than a 2019 MDX AWD A-Spec:
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

Like the TLX, I'm sure additional heft has quite a bit to do with it. The MDX hybrid will hold the speed crown for now until the Type S is out.
I don't get why so many want the MDX to be THE fastest to 60! I've owned this engine in many Honda Motor Corp. vehicles, and it's in my current MDX Adv. and it's
powerful enough, even with the 9 speed. But, what I saw on a couple of videos, is this same engine with the 10 speed really getting up and moving REALLY well. Esp weighing in at
4,500 lbs...if it was AWD. But, man to me, that 10 speed is quick off the line....due to a lower 1st gear....and it shifted really quick. NO...it's not a dual clutch 8 speed super exotic nano second
shifter, but, more than good enough for a lux. SUV. I bet when we all get to drive it....put it in Sport Mode, use the paddle shifters....and nail it. I think it's fast enough for most of us. But,
I love the mating of that trans with "our engine" that 's been around for some time. It really livened up that engine. I should know. I've hot rodded many of them....and they didn't get up and go
quite like this does with that 10 speed.
Stew4HD (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I don't get why so many want the MDX to be THE fastest to 60! I've owned this engine in many Honda Motor Corp. vehicles, and it's in my current MDX Adv. and it's
powerful enough, even with the 9 speed. But, what I saw on a couple of videos, is this same engine with the 10 speed really getting up and moving REALLY well. Esp weighing in at
4,500 lbs...if it was AWD. But, man to me, that 10 speed is quick off the line....due to a lower 1st gear....and it shifted really quick. NO...it's not a dual clutch 8 speed super exotic nano second
shifter, but, more than good enough for a lux. SUV. I bet when we all get to drive it....put it in Sport Mode, use the paddle shifters....and nail it. I think it's fast enough for most of us. But,
I love the mating of that trans with "our engine" that 's been around for some time. It really livened up that engine. I should know. I've hot rodded many of them....and they didn't get up and go
If Acura had kept the older V6 for the TLX, who knows if sales could have picked up some more over the noisier 2.0 turbo 4?
I don't know if fuel econ would have suffered that much more but hopefully that was a design consideration early on that was punted.

To be fair, expectations are higher for luxury car acceleration compared to non-luxury. An Odyssey getting 6.5 sec is gravy and not expected. Same goes for the Accord Touring/Sport.

Last edited by ELIN; 01-23-2021 at 08:21 AM.
bmoua15 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Night

Old 01-23-2021, 08:19 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

If Acura had kept the older V6 for the TLX, who knows if sales could have picked up some more over the noisier 2.0 turbo 4?
I don't know if fuel econ would have suffered that much more but hopefully that was a design consideration early on that was punted.

To be fair, expectations are higher for luxury car acceleration compared to non-luxury. An Odyssey getting 6.5 sec is gravy and not expected. Same goes for the Accord Touring/Sport.
Yeah, I kinda get it. I have a Mustang GT and it's pushing close to 500 hp. But, to some that's not near enough and want 600 plus! Well, I've had a few "fast cars" and my Mustang is nasty fast/quick
with it's 10 speed auto. And my '19 MDX, awd, is plenty quick, but, as I said earlier, with the new 10 speed I see it looks to be even quicker and great through the gears. I'll know fairly soon when I drive
the one I ordered sometime around Mar. 1st. But, it's still that "mentality" that no matter what kind of vehicle, some, not all, feel they need to have the fastest one. That's NOT the only thing that makes
a great fun to drive vehicle. So much else to consider. Do I need a "certain power amount?"...of course, but, I don't have to have the fastest, even in a lux SUV. The entire driving exp. and the interior and
all its tech etc, etc, is what turns me on. Along with a strong quick eng/trans. This has that....for me. I know it won't disappoint..

I think putting the 3.5 NA engine in the TLX would have been a smart move. And then still have the Type S of course. 290 hp....and ...355 hp. Two great choices.
I don't know IF that would have moved more folks to buy the TLX. I think for me, it would have made me look closer than I already have. I had an '18 TLX A-Spec, with
this engine. It was fun, handled great, etc. No real complaints...but, I do have ONE..that applies to all the Acura's. I don't like push button auto trans. Just me...I'm a car
guy that likes that shift lever on the console to "move and play with." Just "more car like" for someone who's had many vehicles with some kind of shifter on the console.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 01-23-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I think it's important to note that in magazine testing, they use different launch techniques, weather correction factors, and they do many attempts to get the best 0-60mph. The 2022 MDX in that video probably just got that one chance to show what it can do.

It's like the TLX, in videos, it looks like it does low - mid 6's, but in actual testing, it's in the high 5's. The 1ft roll out in particular will generally cut 0.3s or so. So in other to compare apples to apples, we gotta wait for car and driver and/or motor trend to test the car first.

Keep in mind though, the last gen MDX is much quicker than the competition (with base engine). For instance, the GLE 350 takes 6.6s to do 0-60mph when the 3rd gen MDX takes 6s flat. The new MDX is 250-300lb heavier than last gen, but also got upgraded from 9AT to 10AT. So it will definitely be interesting to see where it will be at. My guess is that it will be about 6.2, 6.3s, which again, is pretty much faster than most competitors with the base engine.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:31 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Tik Tok

Old 01-28-2021, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Vids

Last edited by TSX69; 01-28-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Raiti's Rides

Old 01-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Arrow C&d

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-sh-awd-drive/

2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD: A Driver's Family Hauler

Acura's larger 3-row MDX benefits from significantly sharper handling and more technology.

By
Mike Sutton
Jan 28, 2021 View Photos

Michael SimariCar and Driver

Acura's driver-focused reboot is off to a strong start with its compelling new TLX sports sedan. But to be successful in today's SUV-crazed market, the brand's recipe for handling prowess also has to work on a hulking, 3-row utility vehicle. Fortunately for the redesigned 2022 MDX—which has outsold the TLX roughly 2 to 1 in recent years—it does.

The 4th-generation model's athleticism is surprising considering it's about 2 inches longer and wider than before and has a wheelbase that's 2.8 inches longer. The curb weight surges by 200 to 300 pounds, depending on the configuration. Despite that bloat, the new platform is also stiffer and features a switch from a strut front suspension to a control-arm setup that sharpens its manners and handling. Combined with direct but not overly quick variable-assist steering, the result is a reassuringly positive feel from its front end when turning into corners, regardless of the selected drive mode.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and Driver
More on Acura MDX and TLX

2022 MDX Is More Expensive and Bigger Inside

Tested: Acura TLX Shows Signs of GreatnessA revised multilink rear suspension and adaptive dampers add to its nimble composure, as does a torque-vectoring rear differential on versions equipped with the Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system. Base models get 19-inch wheels, but most trims wear 20s shod with 255/50R-20 Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S all-season tires. Ride quality on the big rollers is taut but never harsh. While road isolation is not as comprehensive as that of, say, an Audi Q7 or a Volvo XC90, the MDX has a responsiveness that's uncommon for a 7-seat vehicle nearly 200 inches long.

Power continues to come from a throaty-sounding 3.5-liter V-6 good for 290 horses, which now mates to an automatic transmission with 10 speeds, up from the previous 9. Gear swaps are smooth and well-coordinated. But given the MDX's sportier character, we'd like quicker responses from the 10-speed's paddles on the steering wheel. Still, we expect a respectable 60-mph run in about 6 seconds.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and DriverA longer hood helps the MDX's handsomely creased bodywork more closely mimic rear-wheel-drive proportions. Inside, drivers will appreciate the standard front sport seats and smaller diameter, thicker-rimmed steering wheel. Technophiles will dig the bright 12.3-inch gauge-cluster and infotainment displays, although we maintain that, despite some updates, Acura's touchpad interface is no replacement for a well-executed touchscreen. Aluminum accents and open-pore wood trim combine with ambient lighting to give the MDX's cabin a rich, high-tech vibe that's commensurate with the $61,675 ask of the top Advance SH-AWD model we drove. Prices start at $47,925, a $2400 increase over the outgoing model.
View Photos

Michael SimariCar and DriverAdditional highlights include an available head-up display, 16-speaker ELS audio system with 710 watts, and a removable 2nd-row center console/seat that can convert the middle bench to captain's chairs. Rearmost riders benefit from easier access to an enlarged 3rd row plus raised bottom-seat cushions, but adults still won't want to sit back there for long. On the utility front, the MDX still tows up to 5000 pounds when properly equipped, and its aft cargo hold swallows 16 cubic feet behind the 3rd row, an increase of 1.

That the MDX's driver-centric evolution has brought any uptick in versatility is impressive. As with the TLX, this SUV's upcoming Type S model will get more interesting thanks to its 355-hp twin-turbo V-6 and larger brakes, wheels, and tires. But even in standard 290-hp form, the MDX's heightened connection with its pilot reinforces Acura's new direction.

Specifications

2022 Acura MDX

VEHICLE TYPE
front-engine, front- or all-wheel-drive, 7-passenger, 4-door wagon

BASE PRICE
MDX, $47,925; MDX SH-AWD, $49,925; MDX A-Spec, $58,125

ENGINE TYPE
SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement
212 in3, 3471 cm3
Power
290 hp @ 6200 rpm
Torque
267 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

TRANSMISSION
10-speed automatic

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 113.8 in
Length: 198.4 in
Width: 78.7 in
Height: 67.1 in
Passenger volume: 139 ft3
Cargo volume: 16 ft3
Curb weight (C/D est): 4250–4550 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST)
60 mph: 6.1–6.3 sec
1/4 mile: 14.8–15.1 sec
Top speed: 115 mph

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/city/highway: 21–22/19/25–26 mpg

Last edited by TSX69; 01-28-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Arrow cars.com

https://www.cars.com/articles/2022-a...-gains-431715/

2022 Acura MDX Review: Tech Pains Curb Family, Luxury Gains

By Jennifer Geiger

January 28, 2021
The verdict: A redesign takes the three-row 2022 Acura MDX SUV to new heights of family-friendly refinement, but its maddening multimedia system remains the cabin’s black sheep.

Versus the competition: The MDX delivers an appealing package highlighted by a solid powertrain, composed road manners and a comfortable cabin, but others in the class have less complicated controls and more efficient powertrain options.

Acura’s largest MDX SUV rides on a new platform, grows in size and gets a new multimedia system for 2022 after one model year off. The MDX competes against the likes of the Genesis GV80, Lexus RX 350L and Lincoln Aviator. See the rivals compared.

Smooth Power, Questionable Efficiency

The sole powertrain is a 3.5-liter V-6 good for 290 horsepower with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and it’s a solid pair. The previous model’s 9-speed automatic was sometimes unpredictable and slow to respond. There’s none of that here — shifts are quick and smooth, furnishing easy power and very little gear-hunting.

The MDX rides on a new platform with a more rigid body and new suspension setup. The result is a comfortable ride and handling balance, with most bumps absorbed nicely and body motions kept in check; it matches the GV80 in maneuverability but feels more agile than the Aviator. Acura’s Integrated Dynamics System is again standard and features driver-selectable Snow, Comfort, Normal and Sport modes. I felt the biggest difference in Sport mode, which added punchier acceleration, firmer steering feedback and a throatier exhaust note; it also disengages the automatic engine stop-start system.

Acura estimates that the 2022 MDX in front-drive form will get 19/26/22 mpg city/highway/combined, while all-wheel drive subtracts 1 mpg highway and combined (the EPA had not released official estimates for the ’22 MDX as of publication). These numbers are slightly lower than the previous gen’s 20/27/23 mpg EPA ratings. They’re also lower than some competitors’ 2-wheel-drive estimates: The Genesis GV80 comes standard with a turbocharged 4-cylinder estimated to get 21/25/23 mpg; it’s also available with a V-6 rated at 18/23/20 mpg. The Lincoln Aviator, meanwhile, comes standard with a 6-cylinder and fuel economy of 18/26/21 mpg; a plug-in-hybrid version is available. The V-6 Lexus RX 350L has an EPA-estimated rating of 19/26/22 mpg and also offers a hybrid variant. The previous MDX featured a hybrid model; no word yet on if that’ll rejoin the lineup.

What is coming is a sport-oriented MDX Type S, which will use a turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 good for an estimated 355 hp and 354 pounds-feet of torque; Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive will be standard. Other Type S goodies include standard 21-inch wheels, upgraded brakes, a more premium interior and a more powerful audio system. No word yet on Type S pricing, but it will be a late addition to the lineup.

Technology Overthink

The MDX makes advances in technology with an updated multimedia interface and new capabilities, but they come at the cost of usability.

The large 12.3-inch screen sits high on the dash for easy viewing. It’s divided into two sections and both have crisp graphics, straightforward menus and a speedy response time. But while it looks much slicker than the outgoing version, using it was often a struggle. The screen would be within easy reach of the driver — if it were a touchscreen. Alas, the system is controlled via a pair of console-area touchpads that take a lot of getting used to. Even after changing the sensitivity of the touchpad, I struggled to complete tasks in one try as I normally would be able to do with a touchscreen system like the Aviator has. In general, this setup steals focus from the road and feels inherently more complicated (and frustrating) to use than a touchscreen.

Under the screen there are a lot of physical controls — buttons and dials — which usually help offset the complexity of a touchpad, but even their execution didn’t quite land. While there’s a handy volume knob, there’s no tuning knob, for example; instead, there are 2 unlabeled arrow buttons. Also, the large drive mode selector dial is nestled within the climate controls and easily mistaken for one of them.

It’s not ideal, but it’s not all bad, either — and it’s actually a step up from the old clunky two-screen system that we weren’t wild about. In fact, the setup is easier to get used to than some rivals, specifically Lexus’ touchpad setup (which thankfully now comes with a touchscreen), which I found to be even more complex and maddening.

Also, the system’s Amazon Alexa integration is a big asset. After logging into my Alexa account, I was able to launch my Amazon Music playlist, add items to my family’s grocery list and navigate to the nearest Dunkin Donuts — all using a very accurate voice command system. Alexa even tells stories and jokes (and burps on command — discovered by my kids). I could even connect to my smart home hub and change my thermostat from the car, handy for making adjustments while on vacation. The system also comes standard with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as well as Wi-Fi hot spot capability.

Extra Convenience, Added Comfort

Acura made further strides into luxury territory with the MDX’s upgraded cabin materials. Standouts include classy open-pore wood, lush Milano leather seats and pops of aluminum. The upper-door area could use some more padding and there’s some cheap plastic below arm level, but overall, it’s a cut above the outgoing cabin in design and quality.

It’s also more functional, with a newfound family focus that shows up in the form of some minivan-inspired features. First, the CabinTalk system, which debuted on the Odyssey minivan from Acura parent Honda, is now available on the MDX. The microphone-based system projects the driver’s voice to the 2nd and 3rd rows. I found it gimmicky in the Odyssey and not super-necessary in the smaller MDX, but some families might find it helpful. I’m a big fan of Honda’s useful camera-based CabinWatch system, but that’s not available in the MDX.

Next, the 2nd row got a revamp, making it more versatile for kids in car seats with redesigned Latch anchors that are easier to find and use as well as a third set of Latch anchors for the middle seat, an uncommon (and welcome) provision. Check out our full Car Seat Check.

The middle seat itself is also new and again borrowed from the minivan playbook. It’s removable, so the 2nd row can be used either like a bench seat, which accommodates three car seats across, or as captain’s chairs. I appreciate the added flexibility, but removing the seat requires some muscle — it’s heavy and awkward. Once it’s out though, it leaves a big minivan-like aisle nearly 14 inches wide. Another option for 3rd-row access is the easy push-button walk-in feature on each outboard seat, which quickly collapses the 2nd-row seat and slides it forward. This won’t work with car seats installed, however, and the opening is a bit small.

But you’ll probably only be hustling kids into the third row anyway. Although Acura says room has increased for 2022, space in the wayback is still pint-sized, with no knee clearance if the adjustable second row is positioned all the way back. There are new USB ports in back for passengers in the Advance Package trim, but no 3rd-row Latch anchors — a curious omission given that an extra set was added to the 2nd row.

We measured 23.6 cubic feet of space behind the second row and 11.5 cubic feet behind the 3rd row. Wary of how manufacturers measure cargo space, Cars.com has begun measuring the space behind our test vehicles’ 2nd and 3rd rows, and our numbers place the MDX ahead of the 3-row version of the Genesis GV80 (22.1 cubic feet behind the second row and 6.8 cubic feet behind the third row) and Lincoln Aviator (23.1 behind the 2nd row and 10.5 behind the third). We have not yet measured the Lexus RX 350L.

A few new handy features also make the space both more useful and easier to use, including a larger underfloor storage cubby and a 2-tier reversible cargo floor with an easy-clean hard plastic side for messy stuff. A kick-activated liftgate joins the feature list this year, as well as a handy new grab ’n go button (the latter for just the Advance Package trim): Press the button to close the liftgate and finish your business without rushing. It will close once it senses you’re gone, or within 30 seconds, and then lock all the doors.

Safety and Value

Several new standard safety features join the MDX equipment list, including the new Traffic Jam Assist system, which enables lane-centering steering down to a stop. Other newbies include traffic sign recognition, pedestrian detection and a new driver attention monitor. These join the already standard AcuraWatch suite of active safety and driver assistance features, which include forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control.

New optional safety features include a front and rear automatic braking system called Low Speed Braking Control, which is included in the Technology Package. It uses sonar-based parking sensors to sense solid objects at low speeds and then warns the driver or applies the brakes.

The 2022 MDX starts at $47,925 (all prices include destination) in base front-wheel-drive trim, which is just above model-year 2020’s $45,525 starting price. All-wheel-drive versions start at $49,925 compared with 2020’s $47,525. I tested a top-line MDX with the Advance Package at a price of $61,675. The RX 350L is similarly priced, but the GV80 (which comes standard with 2 rows instead of the MDX’s 3) and Aviator start a couple of thousand dollars higher.

My family of 5 and I found a lot to like about the new MDX — multimedia-induced temper tantrums notwithstanding.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Arrow MotorTrend

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...-drive-review/

2022 Acura MDX1st Drive: Lackluster Luxury

20 years to get it right—this is the result?

Alex Leanse Author
Jan 28, 2021Acura MDX Full OverviewIt brings me no pleasure to write this. Between a 2003 CL Type-S, a couple of RDXs, and one unforgettable night in a hybrid NSX, I've enjoyed every Acura I've owned or had a chance to drive. Their quality construction and spirited driving style pleased my practical side and enthusiast soul. Sure, they weren't opulent like some rivals, but Acura's approach to luxury felt sensible without tripping into frippery.

So when word arrived that I'd review the redesigned 2022 MDX, I was stoked. I was even more stoked when Acura delivered a top-of-the-line Advance model coated in elusive Phantom Violet Pearl paint. Yet, as I drove it, my fervor faded. For a vehicle that Acura proclaims is the "best-selling 3-row luxury SUV of all time," this new 4th-generation MDX is missing a crucial part of that equation: luxury.

The importance of this vehicle isn't lost on me—it's a segment influencer, a hot seller, and the flagship of Acura's lineup. It's one Acura had to get right, and although it passes, it doesn't excel. Is there hope yet for the MDX?
00:25 / 19:37

Style? Yes. Substance?

Infamous beak now behind it, Acura's styling direction is back on track—and exemplified well by the new MDX. This is a sharp-looking SUV, based in bold proportions and set with angular motifs that interact nicely around the car. Features like the slim LED headlights and taillights, classy multi-spoke wheels, and prominent exhaust tips help this MDX meet the dress code required for the luxury SUV club.
That impression continued when I looked inside, but as I poked around and slid into each row of seats, I became less convinced that this is a genuine luxury SUV. I go deep in my 2022 Acura MDX Interior Review, but here's what to know.

Up front, the dashboard is as stylish and as modern as the exterior. Comfort is high in the front seats, adjustable in numerous directions to achieve an ergonomic driving position. As is expected from Acura, everything feels screwed together well, a fact I was reminded of every time I touched the screws beneath the center console wrist rest. Exposed screws, in an Acura? Believe it. Tangible hardware may suit certain rugged SUVs, but the allegedly luxurious MDX isn't one of those.

Technology dominates the dashboard, perhaps to a fault. The standard digital gauge display looks great, but Acura's touchpad-based infotainment remains less intuitive and more distracting than competitors' touchscreen setups. Between the touchpad, huge wireless charging tray, and pointless pop-up USB charge ports, space on the center console seems poorly used. The small storage bin under the armrest continues this trend. Functionality aside, I'm a sucker for ambient lighting, and the MDX's color-adjustable accents left me tickled pink, orange, green, and more.

Those colorful strips continue along the rear door cards, but from the back seats they're 1 of few cues that indicate this SUV is meant to be luxurious. Leather upholstery can't make up for how flat and unsupportive the second and third rows are. Aside from a bit of trim around the door pulls and some padding on the armrests, the rear cabin is rife with basic carpeting and hard plastic. That may prove resilient enough to endure rigors of family transportation, but for those who want an SUV decorated to impress friends or clients, the MDX doesn't cut it. Rear amenities such as heated seats and USB ports are available, but these days those hardly qualify a luxury label. Things such as power-folding seats and plush 2nd-row captain's chairs do, neither of which is offered.

Precision Crafted. Performance?

Such criticism, and I haven't even driven the thing yet. Do the MDX's road manners support its upscale aims?

The new light truck platform that underpins the latest MDX is stiffer, more rigid, and lighter than the previous architecture. It's designed to enhance crash safety, already a strong suit in every earlier MDX. Expect it to be the basis of future unibody trucks and crossovers badged with an A or H. In the case of the 2022 MDX, it provides a competent structure that's let down by tuning.

For as solid as the body feels, the ride quality isn't—it might be the least luxurious aspect of the MDX. It's excessively busy, transmitting every road ripple and crumble through the suspension. That's not to say it feels stiff or harsh. Rather, it's so soft that it bounces and heaves about constantly. Qualities like smoothness or serenity—those I typically associate with luxury cars—are largely absent. That's true even in the Comfort drive mode, and switching to Sport only makes impacts sharper. Trying to suss out the MDX on a stretch of twisty Malibu tarmac seemed futile because of how quickly it became unsettled.

At least the steering is accurate, fairly responsive, and it provides decent feel considering it's an electric rack in a big crossover. In Sport mode it's nicely hefty and requires deliberate inputs, while comfort slackens it off for chill cruising. Yet, in any mode, Acura's boasts about handling improvements brought by the double-A-arm front suspension and multilink rear setup seem a bit generous.
A caveat: The latest iteration of Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive is terrific. Unlike some AWD systems that step in only to mitigate wheel slip, SH-AWD works constantly to shuffle power between the corners. Most of the time it's invisible, but in simple neighborhood intersections and canyon chicanes alike, I learned to get on the gas early to let SH-AWD neatly pivot the MDX around. A glorious moment came around an uphill switchback, when the rear end swung out in controlled oversteer—70 percent rear torque capacity, confirmed. This thing would be a blast in a sand pit or, for less loutish drivers, very confident in snowy or wet conditions.

The brakes, however, don't inspire confidence. The larger front rotors and more robust calipers feel wasted by the electric booster. My assessment mimics those from our early drives of the current RDX: lacking initial bite, with long pedal travel and minimal feedback. Here Acura may have succeeded with a luxurious calibration, as the soft pedal makes smooth stops easy. But peace of mind is a luxury, and brakes are something I never want to 2nd guess. Fortunately, the AcuraWatch suite—automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and more—is standard, and it all works as well as any other active safety and driver assist tech I've tried.

Acura's time-tested 3.5-liter V-6 returns, lightly tweaked to reduce noise and particulate emissions. Output remains unchanged from its previous MDX application, with 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque arriving high in the rev range. However, the new 10-speed automatic seems like an improvement over the earlier 9-speed transmission. Shifts are slushy but smooth, and they don't disrupt the flow of power as the transmission works to balance efficiency and acceleration. It keeps rpm low when it can but kicks down quickly—as many as four gears at a time—when the driver boots the throttle for a pass. Acceleration to 60 mph and combined fuel economy likely won't change much, measuring in the low 6.0-second range and 21 mpg, respectively, with AWD. Watch for a hybrid powertrain to return and perhaps an all-electric MDX to arrive at some point in the model run.

Is the MDX a Luxury SUV?

Hopefully, at some point soon in the model run, Acura will amp up the appeal of the standard MDX, because this model left me so dissatisfied. Maybe Acura intentionally engineered some dynamic space between the standard MDX and the upcoming Type S model, slated to bow in a few months with turbocharged power, big Brembo brakes, and other performance upgrades. But I can't imagine that'll solve the problem at hand: lackluster luxury.

Although it helped originate the 3-row luxury SUV as we know it, the MDX has been surpassed despite Acura having had 20 years to get it right. Here, Acura's sensible approach seems too much so, as if its customers won't mind feeling a Phillips head or sliding around in the rear seats as the MDX wallows down the road. As stylish, well-built, and loaded with features as it is, the MDX just doesn't have the refinement to contend with the segment's best. Frankly, a little frippery wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TSX69
Joe was sponsored by Twinkies in Part 1. Looks like he picked up Burger King in Part 2. LOL.

I remembered not being thrilled going up a hill in a 2018 MDX w/AWD Tech. I would imagine this feeling only gets worse with added weight?
Old 01-28-2021, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Detroit

Old 01-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Arrow The Drive

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/38...nd-performance

2022 Acura MDX Review: An SUV Staple Fights Off a Mid-Life Crisis With Great Tech and Performance

The latest MDX gets its best upgrades yet, without losing what made it such a hit in the 1st place.

By Patrick George January 28, 2021

Patrick George SHARE

Patrick George View Patrick George's Articles
@bypatrickgeorgeThe Acura MDX needs no introduction. You see them all over the place. It's a staple of the luxury crossover market, it makes up a significant chunk of Acura's sales, and it's generally well-regarded by its buyers and critics alike. What it's not, however, is sexy, flashy or inspiring; at least, not the way competitors from BMW or Mercedes-Benz tend to be. That hasn't stopped the MDX from being the best-selling 3-row SUV of all time, but it's achieved that milestone in kind of a quiet and circumspect way, without overwhelming horsepower or a badge that screams "I'm rich and you're not."

So after 20 years on sale now, you can't blame the reliable MDX—or more specifically, the engineers at Honda—for feeling like a mid-life crisis was on the horizon. Though it basically helped invent the segment it's in, the MDX is a bit staid. Boring. Not really an attention-grabber. Perhaps some hot young thing came along (maybe it was the Honda Civic Type R or the reborn NSX) to capture everyone's hearts and minds, putting the respectable MDX in need of some reinvention. Just not the embarrassing kind, like the dad who gets an earring or starts a Pearl Jam cover band with the other dads he knows from soccer practice.

Patrick GeorgeI am pleased to report that with an all-new Acura-specific platform, a host of impressive technology and a turbocharged Type S version on the way, Acura has largely delivered on its promise to turn this MDX into its new mass-market flagship, replacing the old RLX sedan, which nobody was buying anyway.

And it's pretty fun to drive, too, for a three-row crossover.

2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance, By The Numbers

• Base Price (As Tested): $46,900 starting | $65,000 (est.)
    • Powertrain:3.5-liter naturally aspirated V6 | 10-speed automatic transmission | all-wheel-drive
      • Horsepower: 290 horsepower at 6,200 RPM
        • Torque: 267 pound-feet at 4,700 rpm
          • EPA Fuel Economy: 19mpg city | 26 highway | 21 combined
            • Curb Weight: 4,503 pounds (with SH-AWD)
              • Seating Capacity: 7
                • Cargo Space: 16.3 cubic feet behind the third row; 95 cubic feet max
                  • Quick Take: Acura's big SUV is better than ever and worthy of the flagship title.

What's New and Improved (A Lot)

I'll preface this by saying that with traditional press launches still suspended over COVID-19 and in-demand new models like this one only getting short loans to automotive writers, my time in the new MDX was limited to a couple of days. But it's clear that these changes have caused quite a transformation.

Patrick GeorgeThe new, Ohio-built MDX no longer shares a platform with cars like the Honda Accord and Odyssey. It's on an all-new light truck platform, exclusive to Acura, and a real emphasis has been placed on performance this time around. Acura's been trying to get its groove back lately after a decade and change of being unable to meet tougher challengers from all sides with various whatever re-badged Hondas. That effort started with the second-gen NSX, and the brand says it's trickling down to the rest of the lineup.

AcuraThough it may not look obviously or radically different from the last one, the new MDX gets a 32% stiffer body structure; larger and more powerful brakes; a new multi-link rear suspension and a new double-wishbone front suspension; revamped electric steering; 10mm wider tires; and more distinct differences between the various drive modes, like Comfort and Sport. It's also several inches longer and wider than before and does much better in the way of standard equipment.

AcuraThe standard 3.5-liter V6 is a carryover from the last MDX with a few new bits to reduce emissions and noise, and it's rated as before at 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque. As with all of Honda's V6 engines, I'm generally a fan, though I am more excited to try the upcoming turbo MDX Type S that amps power up to 355 hp and 354 pound-feet of torque.

Patrick GeorgeFront-wheel drive is standard on the 2 base MDX and Technology trims. Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive is a $2,000 option on those 2, and it comes standard on the 2 upper A-Spec and Advance trims.

On the outside, our metaphorical mid-life crisis dad may not have gotten an earring, but he did decide to hit the gym a bit and dump the baggy polo shirts for some classier standards from ASOS and Bonobos. The grille is wider and more aggressive, the headlamps are narrower, the side creases are more pronounced and there's just less of a dumpy minivan profile overall.

Patrick GeorgeI can't say it looks tremendously more distinctive or different than before, and it still just doesn't have the visual flash of a Benz (or even a Genesis, now) but it does present a bit more aggressively and confidently this time around.

Tech and Interior

But it's inside, and in the technology suite, where this MDX finally gets a real upgrade from "slightly nicer Honda" to "actual luxury car that seems worth its price tag." My tester came with some really nice interior flourishes, like a rich "espresso" leather interior, full leather under-dash, piano black dashboard and ash "open pore" wood accents.

Patrick GeorgeIt's a nice, comfortable, modern place to spend time; the seats especially are great, with just the right amount of slightly aggressive bolstering on what's supposed to be a reasonably sporty driving experience.

There are a few other clever touches here, too, like a little box that pops out to expose the USB ports. Fun! Other highlights for me included wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus wireless charging for compatible devices. Every luxury car should have those features in 2021 and beyond; I don't think I'd want a new car that can't do those things.

Of particular note was the ELS 3D Studio sound system on my top-level Advance tester. It's a 16-speaker affair and it's excellent, providing rich, sparkling sound on the road at any speed. I'm not enough of an audio expert to be really authoritative here, so I'll just say it sounded great, and good enough I had to point it out to you here, on this website.

Also standard across all trims is Acura's new, sweeping digital gauge cluster and a 12.3-inch infotainment control screen. The former, I had no problems with; it looks and works extremely well, with the ability to customize quite a bit of displayed data. The latter is... well, it's actually a lot less frustrating than I remember. Acura, you see, operates its screen through a trackpad below the gear selection buttons. You slide your finger along the pad to select various menus, then click what you want.

Normally these systems are infuriating to use. The ones Lexus used until recently were infamously bad, leading the automaker to adopt touch screens across the board as a mea culpa. And I've had a few eye-roll moments with this same system in the new RDX and TLX sedan. But in the MDX's case, some apparent fine-tuning to the trackpad, larger menus and a bit more experience on my end made for an interface that didn't come with too many headaches. It works fine, and it's relatively easy to use, even if you're in motion (though that's not advisable for long.)

Patrick GeorgeI still wish Acura had a touch screen as a redundant-ish backup because that's what everyone is used to now, but beyond entering addresses into the nav, which is still annoying with a pad, I don't have terribly many complaints.

I didn't either when I clambered into the back seats, as your passengers often will if you're in the market for a car like the MDX. The second row has ample room for a skinny guy a hair under six feet tall like me, and in the middle, you get a "multi-function removable middle seat" that folds all the way up into a captain's chair, flips down to reveal cupholders, or can be taken out entirely. It's very minivan-y, in a useful way; that tracks since, when we get down to it, crossovers have filled the niche minivans once had a tight grip on.

As for the 3rd row, it probably won't shock you to learn it's for little kids only or adults in a pinch. You won't want to spend a long amount of time back there, and you'll likely want to keep it down just for the extra cargo area in the hatch.

On the Road

So now that this dadmobile has racked up miles on the Peloton, traded his cargo shorts for some Indochino suits and got a new iPhone 12 that, thankfully, he isn't wearing on a belt clip, can he deliver the goods? The answer's yes, for the most part.

No one's ever going to write epic poems about the driving dynamics of a 3-row crossover. These things are built for hauling kids and their gear, without projecting the image of total resignation you get from driving a minivan. (It's true, you can't beat a minivan for a good many things, but the stigma remains.) But as far as these go, the new MDX isn't bad at all. More than that, it's decently athletic for this class and price tag.

Patrick GeorgeIt's a surprisingly deft handler with a quick turn-in and accurate electric steering. I kept the MDX in Sport mode most of the time and I was impressed with how it could tackle a corner for its height and 4,500-pound curb weight. If you owned an Integra Type R before the kids dropped, you won't be having flashbacks to your glory days at the autocross course, but the MDX can take care of itself. The wider tires and more rigid structure have paid off nicely here when roads start winding.

Patrick GeorgeThe tradeoff is a ride quality that's a touch on the harsh side—more so than in the cushy Toyota Highlander Hybrid, another 3-row crossover I was in a week prior—but not in any truly unsettling way. My biggest complaint was that the too-soft brake pedal doesn't match the vigorous character the rest of the car is going for.

The sole gearbox option for all 2022 MDXs is a 10-speed in-house Acura automatic with paddle shifters. Around town, I found it to be plenty smooth but downshifts felt a bit slow in Normal mode—an issue I did not have in Sport mode. I'd like more time in the MDX to render a final verdict on that. The 3.5-liter V6, however, is more of a known commodity. It's got more than adequate power that never left me wanting for aggressive passes and gives off a great sound to boot.

Naturally, I'm more intrigued by the Type S when it's ready to deploy. That gets a different engine entirely, a 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbo V6, putting Acura finally more in line with competitors who have fully embraced forced induction. (It's going into the TLX Type S, too, which sounds even more fun, if only for the weight savings.) In the meantime, the standard MDX strikes a good balance between comfort, usability and driving joy, and the third one is not something you could say about its predecessors.

Patrick George

Early Verdict

The new base MDX starts at $46,900, and a top-of-the-line Advance model like mine starts at $60,650. Exact pricing details weren't available for this loaded example, as they sometimes aren't for early testers, but my educated guess is somewhere around $65,000 with options. Either way, you're getting a lot here at a price that undercuts a lot of German competitors and finally moves Acura into some higher territory.

Patrick GeorgeIt's for you if you need three rows of seats but can't fathom life with a minivan, want that legendary (pun very much intended) Acura reliability and tons of tech, and want to still engage in some moderate thrills behind the wheel. It's not for you if you're a badge snob, demand yet more performance, or don't need the extra size. I think for a lot of families, the mid-size RDX will do just fine.

Overall, I quite like what Acura's done with the MDX. It's become vastly more enjoyable than it ever was without compromising on the recipe that's made it a success with hundreds of thousands of families. And if this is how the standard one drives, the Type S should be put any concerns about a mid-life crisis to bed.

If you're gonna age, age gracefully, and adding a turbocharger is a great way to do that.

Contact the author at patrick@thedrive.com.

Correction: An earlier version of this story indicated the MDX Type S is twin-turbocharged; it has a single,twin-scroll turbocharger. We regret the error.
turbox (02-09-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoBlog

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/28/...x-first-drive/

2022 Acura MDX 1st Drive | Ticking every box

Acura’s totally new 3-row crossover impresses both inside and out

Zac Palmer
Jan 28th 2021 at 10:00AM

More Photos

• 2022 MDX A-Spec
  • Image Credit: Acura
  • Engine
    3.5L V6
  • Power
    290 HP / 267 LB-FT
  • Transmission
    10-Speed Auto
  • Drivetrain
    FWD or AWD
  • Engine Placement
    Front
  • Curb Weight
    4,271-4,565 LBS
  • Towing
    3,500 LBS (FWD); 5,000 LBS (AWD)
  • Seating
  • Cargo
    16.3-71.4 Cu-Ft
  • MPG
    19/26/22 (FWD); 19/25/21 (AWD)
  • Base Price
    $47,925
  • As Tested Price
    $61,675
View All SpecsThe 2022 Acura MDX is Acura’s latest, completely redesigned model in what’s shaping up to be a rekindling of the Japanese luxury brand. Acura smacked us across the face (in a good way) with the luxurious and sporty TLX last year, and now it’s trying to do the same with its three-row family crossover.

2020 saw the MDX become Acura’s best-selling model of all time, surpassing 1 million total sales. Granted, it’s been around since the turn of the century, but there’s no underselling how important the MDX is to Acura. Enthusiasts like ourselves are far more intrigued by the performance cars, but the MDX is where Acura is printing its money. However, its cash cow status hasn’t restrained Acura from transforming the new MDX into a crossover that’s likeable to both enthusiasts and the public at large. That’s the Acura we remember and love.

Get a surprisingly great rate

It's like a new car for the price of a clunker. Switch & save an average of $587* on car insurance.
presented by The 2022 MDX rewrites its story with a new “light truck” platform that's exclusive to Acura … for the time being. When we asked what this platform’s future might be, an Acura spokesperson told us that “this platform will underpin other models in our company portfolio, but we’re not speaking to that at this time.” Most likely, Acura is referring to the next-generation Pilot (along with the Passport and Ridgeline), considering that every previous MDX has been related to Honda's 3-row crossover.

For now, however, this new platform facilitates the MDX’s longer dash-to-axle ratio (4 inches greater than before), which gives it proportions similar to rear-drive-based competition from Europe and elsewhere. It also results in greater cabin space, better handling and new technologies, but we need to address the design first.

More Photos

• 2022 Acura MDX Advance
  • Image Credit: Zac Palmer

The transformation is substantial, as the 2022 MDX is both wider and longer than its predecessor. Where there was slop and slouch before, there is none today. Its upright face, mesmerizing grille, big wheels and sharp lighting elements make the MDX stand out in the crossover crowd. This redesign takes the MDX from being 1 of the least fetching options in the segment to standing tall as 1 of the most stylish. Big styling wins haven’t always been easy for Acura to come by over the last 10-plus years, but chalk this 1 up as another feather in the cap following the dashing new TLX.

The new MDX platform contributed to these good looks, but it also brings a splash of utility. The 3rd row sees the biggest gains, as adults or teens are far more likely to fit comfortably in the way back. Acura added 2.4 inches of legroom and found a touch more headroom despite raising the seat bottom by 2 inches. Cargo space in all seating configurations also goes up by minor amounts. Acura says that this extra space was opened up by switching from a coilover to a separate strut and spring rear suspension design.

The MDX may no longer be mechanically related to Honda's Odyssey, but its novel 2nd-row seats do borrow a page from Honda's minivan playbook. You can sit 3-across (7-person maximum capacity), fold the center seat down for a massive center console, or completely remove the middle seat to leave yourself with a pair of quasi captain’s chairs. Every other competitor makes you choose whether you want a 3-person bench or 2-person captain's chairs at the dealership.

So yes, the MDX is a better crossover for the family, but even more impressive is what it brings to the table for the driver. Acura is not deviating from what’s worked in the past with the base engine. It’s still the 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V6 that makes 290 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque — no 2.0-liter turbo to be found here. The transmission is new, though, and it makes a substantial difference in how this MDX drives. Acura went from a 9-speed automatic to a new 10-speed automatic, and it implemented a lower 1st gear for better performance. That gives this 4,500-pound crossover (with SH-AWD) far better pull off the line and at low speeds than we were expecting. It requires a lot of shifting to get the job done (you’re at the top of third gear by 60 mph), but Acura successfully used gearing to make the MDX feel more potent than the numbers suggest it would be. Plus, it’s above average when you toss it into manual shifting mode, responding eagerly to inputs from the nicely shaped paddles.

An MDX Type S with the 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 (355 horsepower and 354 pound-feet of torque) is coming in the summer, so if you desire more power, we suggest waiting. Acura also left the door open for a return to hybrid power in this generation of MDX, but we don’t know any details about it or when it might be coming.

Our biggest disappointment concerning the powertrain is the total lack of fuel economy improvement. It’s actually down 1 mpg in the combined rating for both front- and all-wheel drive layouts. Acura blames the car’s new styling for this loss in efficiency. Engineers tried their best to claw MPGs back through greater use of aluminum for body parts and newly integrated active grille shutters (reduces aerodynamic drag), but it still wasn’t enough to stay neutral from one generation to the next.

Where the MDX’s drive shines brightest is when you start to push it on a twisty road. That new platform it’s riding on is substantially stiffer than before. Plus, Acura is plunging headfirst into implementing independent double wishbone suspension design on its cars (most recently used in the new TLX). In the MDX’s case (and other cars), it improves ride quality and provides a larger and more consistent tire contact patch in corners. The structural changes contribute to a greater sense of nimbleness and stability to the chassis you wouldn’t expect in a vehicle its size. Hauling a 3-row crossover through winding, hilly roads can be tiring, or just plain awkward and uncomfortable. In the MDX, it’s genuinely fun going back and forth. The confidence it instills in you to keep trying to extract more in corners and push harder is not the norm for this segment.

The only way to get the MDX feeling out of sorts is in 90-degree corners or especially tight roundabouts where weight becomes the dominant factor. Less abrupt curves highlight and play to the MDX’s strength. Acura’s SH-AWD has been bloody brilliant in every MDX since being introduced for the second generation, and this latest version once again brings its torque-vectoring magic. Up to 70% of torque can be sent to the rear wheels, and up to 100% of that available torque can be apportioned to either rear wheel. You can physically feel this torque vectoring at work as you feed in more and more throttle through corners. Every Acura with SH-AWD handles far better for it, and the MDX is no exception — it’s well worth the $2,000 upgrade over a front-drive model, even if you live somewhere that doesn’t experience winter weather.

Adaptive dampers are not available like they are in the RDX and TLX, but the fixed dampers are dialed in nicely. Switching the NSX-inspired mode dial into Sport improves the variable-ratio steering with a little more weight (not too much) and directs more power to the rear wheels. Overall, the handling is on par or better than most of the competition, which isn’t an easy feat considering crossovers like the Audi Q7, Cadillac XT6 and Lincoln Aviator are all potential alternatives. Keep in mind, we haven’t even driven the Type S yet.

Thankfully, Acura hasn’t neglected ride quality and usability in the name of performance. The MDX soaks up poor city streets and bad roads with the best of them. It’s remarkably comfortable to just peaceably cruise around in. That V6 is unobtrusive until you step on it, and only then it makes the typically-satisfying Honda growl. There’s a modicum of wind noise that intrudes at highway speeds, but the cabin is generally serene.

We’re left with one big nit to pick about how the MDX drives: the brakes. It’s a new brake-by-wire system with an electric brake booster. Acura nailed the tuning with the TLX’s similar system — it has a stiff pedal that’s sports car-like in feel. In the MDX, they have the vague, mushy feeling of an old hybrid's poorly tuned regenerative brakes. There has to be some middle ground that would be appropriate for a crossover but still in keeping with the performance-car spirit Acura is going for.

More Photos

• 2022 Acura MDX Advance
  • Image Credit: Zac Palmer

That spirit is at least seen inside where Acura's latest, NSX-inspired interior design stands in stark contrast to the outgoing MDX, which was never cutting edge in terms of design or luxury.

The new cabin clearly clearly shares visual DNA with the RDX and TLX designs, but it's a more expansive, elevated take that skews more towards luxury than sport. Materials quality also sees a significant jump upmarket. Sure, a Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi will still outclass the MDX, but Acura isn’t very far behind anymore, and all the German competitors are significantly more expensive.

Acura promises that if you see a material that looks like wood or metal, it’s genuine. Fancy LED ambient lighting can be customized with tons of different themes. The seats are both pretty (nice piping and patterns in the leather) and comfortable. Its 12.3-inch infotainment system is loaded with features, and the available ELS Studio audio system will bump with the best of them. The MDX also marks Acura’s 1st application of a fully digital instrument cluster, and it’s a good one. You can choose between a couple base layouts for the 12.3-inch screen, but those can be changed/customized even further via the drive mode dial — each mode has its own layout. One of the two Sport mode layouts is reminiscent of the S2000 with its horizontal tachometer arcing across the top of the screen in the same fashion as Honda’s iconic sports car.

When the Type S eventually drops this summer, the new MDX lineup will be a formidable force. Pricing for the standard MDX starts at $47,925 and ranges up to $61,675 for our top-of-the-line Advance. Those who want an MDX with a sportier look can go for an A-Spec (black trim, available red leather) at $58,125 — it comes with a majority of the optional luxury and tech niceties, which is why it’s nearly as expensive as the top trim. Unlike much of the higher priced competition, Acura comes standard with nearly all its driver assistance features, an impressive array that includes both full-speed adaptive cruise and lane-centering. It’s just one of the many items on the list that makes the MDX add up to a super capable family hauler that won’t break the bank, or your soul, from behind the wheel.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Alex on Autos

Old 01-28-2021, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Arrow R&t

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a35353904/2022-acura-mdx-first-drive-review/

The 2022 Acura MDX Is Refreshingly Sporty

For a big SUV that seats 7, the new MDX is surprisingly fun to drive. And unsurprisingly easy to live with.

By
Chris Perkins
Jan 28, 2021 View Photos

Chris PerkinsIt's been fun to watch Acura become a sporty brand again. After years of making fine but uninspiring cars, Acura is injecting some personality into its lineup. The latest model to benefit from this reinvigoration is this, the 2021 MDX.
Related Story

The New TLX Is What an Acura Sport Sedan Should BeThe MDX is ubiquitous. Acura is proud to point out that this is the best-selling 3-row luxury crossover on the U.S. market, over 1 million sold since the MDX debuted back in 2000. It's one of those cars you see everywhere without noticing.

This 4th-generation MDX rides on an all-new platform that, at least for now, is unique to the model. Like the TLX sedan, the SUV has a double-wishbone front suspension and an expansive dash-to-axle that gives the MDX stately rear-drive proportions. It looks and feels like a different species compared to its predecessor, handsome and understated, with a more cab-rearward profile and neater integration of Acura’s signature diamond-shaped grille.

Acura’s newfound interest in sportiness strikes you the moment you’re on the move. This top-of-the-line Advanced model, with its adaptive dampers, had a firmer ride than I was expecting. This is no glorified minivan—it’s got a genuinely sporty feel. Acura engineers say the front subframe is more stiffly mounted than before for better steering response, and I have to imagine this contributes to the taut ride. Over potholes and frost heaves, the way the car deals with larger road-surface changes is excellent.

View Photos

Chris Perkins

The handling is pretty great, too. I took the MDX out to my usual country roads north of New York City mainly to find some nice backdrops for photography, but I found myself enjoying the drive far more than I expected. The way this crossover handles winding country roads reminds me of a Porsche Cayenne—not the full physics-defying Cayenne Turbo with active anti-roll bars, rear-wheel steering and air suspension, but the sweet, sharper-than-expected base model. Like the Porsche, the MDX is engaging without compromising comfort. The steering is accurate, with good natural weighting in Normal mode, though as with so many other cars, steering effort is too light in Comfort mode and too heavy in Sport.

My example also had Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, which is capable of real torque vectoring across the rear axle. Getting on the power early mid-corner overdrives the outside rear wheel and cuts power to the inside rear wheel. The sensation is unusual at 1st, but it's fun to play with. Using the throttle to modify your line in a 3-row SUV is an unexpected delight. And when you're not driving enthusiastically, the SH-AWD system falls into the background.

My only real dynamic complaint is with the brake pedal. Like so many new cars, the MDX uses an electric brake booster. The pedal feels unnaturally light, offering almost no resistance. That’s a shame, because we know Acura can offer great braking feel and modulation—the pedal in the TLX sedan is just about perfect.

View Photos

Chris PerkinsWhere the MDX has a clear edge over the TLX is in the engine bay. When I was first reading the specs, I was a bit disappointed to find that the new MDX uses the same 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V-6 found in so many Honda products. This J-Series engine is old, dating to the mid-Nineties, and it’s been found in all three previous generations of the MDX. Initial trepidation aside, it’s the right engine for the job, as smooth as ever and far more characterful than the turbo 2.0-liter 4-cylinder in the TLX. Acura engineers went with the 290-hp, 267 lb-ft V-6 for its smoothness, and found that the 6 got better fuel economy in the MDX than a smaller turbo engine would. The 10-speed automatic is a willing partner, never lost among its many ratios, with quick responses from the paddle shifters.
View Photos

Chris PerkinsThe interior is thoroughly modern, with a new digital instrument cluster. Thankfully, the old dual-screen infotainment setup is gone, replaced by the newest version of Acura’s trackpad-controlled infotainment system that debuted with the RDX. Finally, an Acura interior that compares favorably to the luxury competition. You don’t get the wow-factor design of a Mercedes, Volvo or Genesis here, but everything feels high-quality, with a lot of thought put into everyday functionality. There’s a wireless phone charger under the palm rest for the trackpad, and cordless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is standard.

The infotainment system also offers Amazon Alexa voice assistant integration. It’s brilliant, a rare system where voice control actually works well to control functions outside your smartphone. (It’s also a little creepy, for those of us who’d prefer not to invite Jeff Bezos into the privacy of our automobiles.) The trackpad interface presents a learning curve, and the display is not touch-sensitive, but once you get up to speed Acura’s system works far better than the similar trackpad setup found in Lexus products. One quirk: The trackpad gestures are different for Apple CarPlay than they are for Acura’s native software, so switching between the two can be frustrating.

All in all, the MDX is a pleasant thing to drive, defying what you likely expect from a three-row crossover. There's an inherent, refreshing sportiness here, one that doesn't compromise daily drivability.

View Photos

Chris PerkinsAnd it seems to be quite a good value. The base front-wheel drive MDX starts at $48,000, with this loaded all-wheel drive Advanced-spec car ringing in at $62,700.
Related Story

MDX Type S to Put 355 HP In a Handsome PackageThere's something encouraging about the new MDX. Acura likely would have sold them by the truckload even if it wasn’t this sporty, this handsome. There’s a glimpse of classic Honda in the 4th-generation MDX: Built for everybody, but with a bit more verve than you’d expect. It makes us all the more excited for the upcoming MDX Type S, which will bolster all the base model’s goodness with 355 horsepower.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TSX69
7 seconds is horrible. That’s slower than the Odyssey! I guess continuing the narrative of Honda faster than Acura?!!

109 ft stopping distance is quite good for such a heavy vehicle. Hopefully there are more reviews that give a better 0-60. My money is still on 6.5 seconds being the right answer.
Gen4MDX (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
7 seconds is horrible. That’s slower than the Odyssey! I guess continuing the narrative of Honda faster than Acura?!!

109 ft stopping distance is quite good for such a heavy vehicle. Hopefully there are more reviews that give a better 0-60. My money is still on 6.5 seconds being the right answer.
Alex on Autos video was the best one I have seen today and I have watched pretty much everyone. The only things I am slightly a little concerned about is the piano black trim, getting the Advance model, so it may not be as bad as the A-spec? Also a few reviewers mentioned a soft brake pedal?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I'd take his numbers with a grain of salt, especially the stopping distances. From his past review, they've been all over the place. I highly highly doubt that 109 ft figure is true, because if it is, then he's suggesting it takes a mere foot more than an M440i he just tested with big ol' 4-piston clampers? I'm to believe the MDX did it a full 25 feet shorter than a TLX that's lighter by around 700 pounds? Yeah, I don't think so.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:43 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Alex on Autos video was the best one I have seen today and I have watched pretty much everyone. The only things I am slightly a little concerned about is the piano black trim, getting the Advance model, so it may not be as bad as the A-spec? Also a few reviewers mentioned a soft brake pedal?
I've watched many of these guys and gals on many different vehicles. Often you will get totally opposite opinions about the same function on a car. Such as the brake pedal issue.
One said they felt great, strong. One says it felt soft, etc. Gee, who do we believe?? Well, that's simple....you believe YOURSELF when you do your test drive. We can decide some
things that make sense to us...just by looking, like design style here and there, etc. But, like the one lady said...she didn't like the auto trans control buttons....she thought they were too
small and she often found herself engaging a certain "button" on the edge" and she didn't like that!! Give me a break!! I've been using these control "buttons" on many Acuras....and,
personally I much prefer a shift lever....but, I don't agree with her. It's subjective. Now, stopping distance....that's objective. Numbers don't lie.

Also, I read where the 7 sec zero to 60 was too slow...should be 6.5 sec. Wow....give me a break. A half second is going to make a person change their mind about a seemingly well done
SUV??? Please....LOL!!

Piano black is not my favorite either. I do believe there is more of it in the A-Spec than the Advance. I could be wrong, but, it appears that way after viewing different vids. There are some
who did test drive/review the Advance. Many had the A-Spec. Again, I'LL KNOW when I see them in person. But, interior designers need to stop using it all together. They think is "looks
upscale"....but, they don't stop and think, how easily they scratch...or mark up....or just capture all your finger prints. My son is a cop...he'd love to investigate a bad guys car if it had
piano black everywhere!!! LOL!!
Stew4HD (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:52 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Joe was sponsored by Twinkies in Part 1. Looks like he picked up Burger King in Part 2. LOL.

I remembered not being thrilled going up a hill in a 2018 MDX w/AWD Tech. I would imagine this feeling only gets worse with added weight?
Maybe, but, maybe not. I think the new mating to the 10 speed trans will make a big difference on the driving dynamics.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:43 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Suspension....dampers!

Seems as though many of the "pro test drivers" don't know the vehicles all that well when it comes to function, eng, trans, etc. I hear many errors. Often Joe Raiti calls the
one he drove....the "Advance A-Spec. He was wrong on other facts about the MDX, but, I've heard him on MANY vehicles he's reviewed and
made glaring errors on facts.

But, that aside...my Title topic:

ALL MDX's have "Amplitude/reactive dampers!" Even the Advance. The Advance DOES NOT have "Adjustable dampers." The RDX Adv.. has the Adj. dampers when put
in the Comfort Mode. The MDX Advance DOES NOT HAVE THAT. Acura decided to use the "amplitude/reactive dampers" in all models, since they felt their all new suspension
didn't NEED Adj. dampers.
Comfort mode adjusts different engine, trans, steering parameters....but, it does not "make the ride more comfortable."

Amplitude/reactive dampers have 2 valves within it's housing. One is set to handle softer road issues, and the other more harsher conditions. Honda Motor Corp. has been using this
design/style for many vehicles for a few yrs now.

So many auto testers, and, shoppers of this new MDX Advance, and maybe other models, think when you put it in Comfort Mode, it changes the damper settings. NO..it does not. Chevy, Ford...they have Magnaride systems that
you can change how the internal fluid of the damper reacts, making the ride softer or more stiff. OR, what is generically called...."Adjustable Dampers." And, again, the RDX Adv. has these.

When I first learned this I was really surprised. My '19 MDX Adv. has the adjustable dampers. When in Comfort mode it gives you a softer ride. So, I expected to have that same function in the 2022.
But, again, the Acura chassis engineers decided with ALL the many changes to the front suspension AND the rear, that Amplitude/reactive dampers were all that was needed.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Agree, many of the testers don’t know what they are talking about as numerous testers when talking about the Type S say it has a twin turbo😝 when it is a TWIN SCROLL TURBO✌️
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Motor Trend was vicious in their review
Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Yes, it was very inconsistent with the other reviews which were largely very positive so far. I would tend to trust the other reviewers such as Alex and Redline more.....
Stew4HD (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Nothing makes a splash bigger than a contrarian, no?
Stew4HD (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

I can kind of see what they mean, even though I do think they were overly critical. The MDX to me doesn't seem to do anything more than the competition; the Advance model checks all the boxes for features you would expect on a luxury car in this segment, but it doesn't really have any one feature that makes you go wow. It's about even with what the competition was offering 3-4 years ago. No doubt it's much improved over the 3G, but you can't really say from a luxury/tech perspective it's better than the competition; at best it's "as good". But, it does undercut the competition in price, and you get what you pay for, so for how they're positioning it, that's perfectly acceptable.

Now, if they were going over the A-Spec model, I would have to agree with them. For a car at this price point in this segment (a flagship car no less) to not have features like a HUD, 360 camera, heated steering wheel, foot-activated tailgate, etc. makes me question the value proposition. The Advance package is easily, EASILY, worth the $2000 premium over the A-Spec.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-29-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I can kind of see what they mean, even though I do think they were overly critical. The MDX to me doesn't seem to do anything more than the competition; the Advance model checks all the boxes for features you would expect on a luxury car in this segment, but it doesn't really have any one feature that makes you go wow. It's about even with what the competition was offering 3-4 years ago. No doubt it's much improved over the 3G, but you can't really say from a luxury/tech perspective it's better than the competition; at best it's "as good". But, it does undercut the competition in price, and you get what you pay for, so for how they're positioning it, that's perfectly acceptable.

Now, if they were going over the A-Spec model, I would have to agree with them. For a car at this price point in this segment (a flagship car no less) to not have features like a HUD, 360 camera, heated steering wheel, foot-activated tailgate, etc. makes me question the value proposition. The Advance package is easily, EASILY, worth the $2000 premium over the A-Spec.
Let's face it, there isn't much that separates each model in this class. It boils down to one's personal likes and dislikes.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Let's face it, there isn't much that separates each model in this class. It boils down to one's personal likes and dislikes.
I think the key difference is that the top of the line MDX tops out where a moderately equipped competitor's car would top out when it comes to tech and luxury. Now, is it a fair comparison that the best-equipped competitor's car costs over $10-$20K more? No, but the fact is that option exists, and that winds up becoming the benchmark for "luxury".

For instance, the features I would like to have seen on the MDX Advance that you can get from the competition to get it into that echelon of luxury (and yes, I know it would have priced the MDX out of the reach of its target buyers, and some of these are absolutely frivolous and gratuitous, but hey that's "luxury"):
  • Massaging seats (might come in the Type-S)
  • Power 2nd row seats
  • Power folding 3rd row seats
  • USB-C ports
  • Power sunshades
  • 4-zone climate control
  • Vents and USB outlets for the 3rd row
  • Heated armrests
  • Bending headlights
  • Air suspension with adjustable ride height
  • Heated windscreen
  • Heated and cooled cupholders
  • Cooled glove box
  • Parking assist
Would I actually pay money for any of those? Maybe some of them, but largely no. But for more discriminating buyers who want it all, things like this is what separates "luxury" from "near-luxury". The MDX looks like it has the interior material quality and design to match that of a bona fide luxury car, but it doesn't have the breadth of options available to make it so. And unfortunately that's how these cars get evaluated, even if the majority of buyers wind up buying a base model that doesn't even have the same feature-set the MDX Advance does.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-29-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Here's my take. Acura's theme in recent years is about "Precision Crafted Performance." Arguably, that started in 2017 with the NSX. It was then followed by the TLX facelift in 2018, full RDX redesigned in 2019, full TLX redesigned in 2021, and now the 2022 MDX. None of these models set blazing performance numbers, no. It's safe to say though that each of the above update makes the car much more enjoyable to drive than their predecessors. In fact, based on the reviews on the 2021 TLX and 2022 MDX, these are the most fun to drive vehicles in their respective segments. The Type S version should then up the actual performance envelope to better match the others.

As such, I'm not sure if they are that big on making their cars as luxury as possible. I feel like they are more about delivering fun to drive performance. They have certainly stiffened the chassis by a lot. They now went back to double wishbone front suspension. Looking at the reviews, pretty much all the reviewers are having a blast driving these around twisty roads. The 3G MDX was actually known to be quite fun to drive already, and the 4G is on another level.

I think this is where the MDX stands out amongst its competition. It delivers huge driving fun while undercutting them in price, without sacrificing comfort. In terms of actual features, it's also debatable. For instance, it's probably the first time I've seen 3-position memory seating for an Acura, and that's more than say, a Lexus RX. I believe the RX also only has at most 10-way adjustable seats. The MDX has 16-way. Also 3rd row seating isn't standard on every single competitor and on every single trim.

I guess the point is that in this segment, you can get certain exclusive features in one car, and then other exclusive features in another, MDX included. It may not have this and that, but it has other things that not everyone has.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Redline review had an interesting insight:

The addition of the 10AT improved AWD fuel econ but actually reduced the FWD models by 1 mpg. Huh?!!
Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Drifting

I think the key difference is that the top of the line MDX tops out where a moderately equipped competitor's car would top out when it comes to tech and luxury. Now, is it a fair comparison that the best-equipped competitor's car costs over $10-$20K more? No, but the fact is that option exists, and that winds up becoming the benchmark for "luxury".

For instance, the features I would like to have seen on the MDX Advance that you can get from the competition to get it into that echelon of luxury (and yes, I know it would have priced the MDX out of the reach of its target buyers, and some of these are absolutely frivolous and gratuitous, but hey that's "luxury"):
  • Massaging seats (might come in the Type-S)
  • Power 2nd row seats
  • Power folding 3rd row seats
  • USB-C ports
  • Power sunshades
  • 4-zone climate control
  • Vents and USB outlets for the 3rd row
  • Heated armrests
  • Bending headlights
  • Air suspension with adjustable ride height
  • Heated windscreen
  • Heated and cooled cupholders
  • Cooled glove box
  • Parking assist
Would I actually pay money for any of those? Maybe some of them, but largely no. But for more discriminating buyers who want it all, things like this is what separates "luxury" from "near-luxury". The MDX looks like it has the interior material quality and design to match that of a bona fide luxury car, but it doesn't have the breadth of options available to make it so. And unfortunately that's how these cars get evaluated, even if the majority of buyers wind up buying a base model that doesn't even have the same feature-set the MDX Advance does.
Here's my take on your luxury list:

Massaging seats (might come in the Type-S) - typically only on top trims so Type S makes more sense
Power 2nd row seats - I have this on my GL450. Won't be thrilled if this fails.
Power folding 3rd row seats - I have this on my GL450. Won't be thrilled if this fails.
USB-C ports - there is one USB-C port in that pop-up jack by the push button transmission
Power sunshades - really only ever seen these on the rear windshield in sedans
4-zone climate control - nice to have
Vents and USB outlets for the 3rd row - vents are a must have for really hot days. I can't believe it was an option on my GL450 (no vents for me)
Heated armrests - which cars have these?
Bending headlights - don't think demand is high for this
Air suspension with adjustable ride height - reviewers tend to say the floaty feeling can be "terrifying"
Heated windscreen - which cars have this?
Heated and cooled cupholders - in my GL450. more gimmick than functional
Cooled glove box - for what?
Parking assist - have it in my GL450. never tried it.
NwTSXmt (01-24-2023)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Redline review had an interesting insight:

The addition of the 10AT improved AWD fuel econ but actually reduced the FWD models by 1 mpg. Huh?!!
I think he got his numbers mixed up. Both AWD and FWD versions are down 1mpg compared to their respective 3G according to EPA numbers.

SHAWD is EPA estimated at 19 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, and 21 mpg combined. For the 3G SHAWD it was 19/26/22.
ELIN (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:41 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I think he got his numbers mixed up. Both AWD and FWD versions are down 1mpg compared to their respective 3G according to EPA numbers.

SHAWD is EPA estimated at 19 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, and 21 mpg combined. For the 3G SHAWD it was 19/26/22.
The 3Gen MDX also dropped 1 mpg when it went from 2014-2015 6AT to the 2016-2020 9AT. The mpgs dropped another 1 mpg with the +19 MDX Aspec.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Power sunshades - really only ever seen these on the rear windshield in sedans - I believe the GLE does have this as an option.
Heated armrests - which cars have these - GLE has it as part of the package that includes the heated steering wheel
Bending headlights - don't think demand is high for this - After driving a car with these, I find it to be incredibly useful, especially on backroads with no lighting.
Heated windscreen - which cars have this? - Volvo, Audi, Mercedes
Cooled glove box - for what? - keeps drinks and stuff cold I guess.
Comments in line.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Comments in line.
I'll concede that the power rear sunshades and bending headlights would be nice to have but the rest of the stuff are only needed to feel like I'm sitting at home instead of a car.

You do know Mercedes charges an arm and a leg for every incremental "luxury" item, right? None of that stuff would make their base model.

Acura has cut their losses by not offering expensive options that only 10% of folks want.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:54 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I think whatever options are on the Elite Honda SUV should be standard on the tech and Aspec MDX. All those cool features on the Type-S MDX should be also on the Adv/Elite MDX. I always thinks it sucks when Honda gets more updated features than +$50,000 Acura MDX.

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews