2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022 | 06:16 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ColoRDX
Calm down my good fellow. Welcome to the forum. To start with, please stop with the "dude" talk. Aren't you a bit too old for that? You sound like Bart Simpson.
This is a forum my friend. We are all here to exchange facts, knowledge, thoughts, issues, suggestions and OPINIONS. Yep....Opinions. Even if those opinions are repeated and you don't approve of them. If you don't care for a member's post(s), don't read them. Agreed?? Now...how would you know this "salty" guy can't afford an MDX Type S ? Just your OPINION ?
Nobody cares what a boomer who doesn't even own the car thinks of it. They probably wouldn't even let you test drive one because you might crash it.
The following 2 users liked this post by IanCH:
DoubleDyno (06-27-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 06:27 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by IanCH
I created an account on this forum just the chime in with this important information.

ColoRDX is one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen. GTFO this section of the forum you don't even own the car and do nothing but shit on it and complain. The biggest tell that you are just salty you cant afford one is how you constantly complain about the price and how it has "bad value" LOL!

"I only care about 0-60, 5-60 doesnt matter!" come on dude. Most car owners, even enthusiasts with performance cars never use the launch control or brake torque their vehicle more than 2 or 3 times to try it.

Find it very odd that you would make an account, your 1st post being here, directed towards ColoRDX, right after a rambling response made by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Oddly enough, it also seems as if you type the same way as Colorado guy. You know the LOL, the !!!!!!! ect.

If it really is you, enjoy the vacation as it's a violation to the site rules (multiple accounts).

@Yumcha Seems like Colorado Guy AF Ret. has made another account.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 06:49 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Find it very odd that you would make an account, your 1st post being here, directed towards ColoRDX, right after a rambling response made by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Oddly enough, it also seems as if you type the same way as Colorado guy. You know the LOL, the !!!!!!! ect.

If it really is you, enjoy the vacation as it's a violation to the site rules (multiple accounts).

Lmao, I am not from Colorado but it seems like this Colorado Guy AF Ret knows Colo RDX is a troll too...

My account is made through google and is verifiably not tied to any other account on the web. I also have thousands of posts under this name on other forums.
DoubleDyno (06-27-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IanCH
Nobody cares what a boomer who doesn't even own the car thinks of it. They probably wouldn't even let you test drive one because you might crash it.
I 100% agree with you, what kind of person goes into other car forums and tells people that their car is bad? Either a jealous person, or someone with very little self worth, who can only elevate themselves by trying to push others down.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

I disagree. When I'm "clicking away at the keyboard in front of the computer" I have the very same mindset as if I'm actually going to purchase a vehicle or not. I turn my vehicles rather quickly and I'm almost daily on Youtube and "clicking away at the keyboard" looking and comparing vehicles to determine which vehicle might be my next acquisition. I usually have a specification spreadsheet running on the vehicles I have interest in and continually add to it. I'll acquire my next vehicle when the mood hits me.
What a sad life. Let how you interact with people be a lesson for others.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN

Thanks, Gus. F23A4 is already in this thread and will monitor...but, per your suspicion, we'll look into it.
Old 06-27-2022 | 08:41 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Thanks, Gus. F23A4 is already in this thread and will monitor...but, per your suspicion, we'll look into it.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.../ianch.128422/

https://www.audizine.com/forum/member.php/109430-IanCH

No need to "look into it" tough guy
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 08:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wow...there are so many unhinged folks on here...and there are some decent folks that have common sense, try to help, share what they know, etc...LIKE ME.

I AM NOT ColoRDX. I have ONE...Mr. Moderator.....ONE account, and am on only ONE Acura site...this one. OK all you speculators...whomever you are...it's so easy
to think you know everything....esp. IF you don't really....at all...KNOW the person you are trying to throw heavy shade on.
And, ColoRDX is a trouble maker and an idiot. Thinks he automatically knows what's behind someone's words. Grow up!
I don't pop veins, or get all upset....ONLY when I'm attacked with some real nasty stuff. AND, the moderators finally got those idiots toned down some time ago. Once in
awhile another troll slips in. Moderator...watch them....not me. I'm Colorado Guy AF Ret. and that's my ONLY handle on this site. Period. Mic drop!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022), Wylson (06-30-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 09:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Wow...there are so many unhinged folks on here...and there are some decent folks that have common sense, try to help, share what they know, etc...LIKE ME.

I AM NOT ColoRDX. I have ONE...Mr. Moderator.....ONE account, and am on only ONE Acura site...this one. OK all you speculators...whomever you are...it's so easy
to think you know everything....esp. IF you don't really....at all...KNOW the person you are trying to throw heavy shade on.
And, ColoRDX is a trouble maker and an idiot. Thinks he automatically knows what's behind someone's words. Grow up!
I don't pop veins, or get all upset....ONLY when I'm attacked with some real nasty stuff. AND, the moderators finally got those idiots toned down some time ago. Once in
awhile another troll slips in. Moderator...watch them....not me. I'm Colorado Guy AF Ret. and that's my ONLY handle on this site. Period. Mic drop!!
I think younare confused. Someone else accused me of being you.
5thgen (08-13-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Let me try getting this thread back to topic. One thing I like about MDX-S is the range of the adaptive suspension. Acura might as well send owners a book that reads "How to tune your car - spring rate, travel, and damping". Each IDS mode gives you distinct character, and together they compose a step-by-step guide on how to fine tune a suspension setup. The car reminds me of the lessons I went through tuning the suspension of my other car.

The lift mode is especially interesting, as it deploys the stiffest damping at low speed, but has the longest travel. As if this combo is not interesting enough, the ride height/damping changes based on speed. So you get different response at different speed, and depending on road surface, sometimes this mode works well, sometimes the stiff damping can be rough and render the car into a rattle box. I still find this outliner mode amusing, and would like to applaud Acura engineers who came up with it!
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-28-2022 | 01:49 PM
AZ Community Team

The 2022 Acura MDX Type S makes Play Time for Parents (POV Drive Review)

Old 06-28-2022 | 02:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Let me try getting this thread back to topic. One thing I like about MDX-S is the range of the adaptive suspension. Acura might as well send owners a book that reads "How to tune your car - spring rate, travel, and damping". Each IDS mode gives you distinct character, and together they compose a step-by-step guide on how to fine tune a suspension setup. The car reminds me of the lessons I went through tuning the suspension of my other car.

The lift mode is especially interesting, as it deploys the stiffest damping at low speed, but has the longest travel. As if this combo is not interesting enough, the ride height/damping changes based on speed. So you get different response at different speed, and depending on road surface, sometimes this mode works well, sometimes the stiff damping can be rough and render the car into a rattle box. I still find this outliner mode amusing, and would like to applaud Acura engineers who came up with it!
this is supposed to be the 4G MDX review thread.

I've only looked at 4G MDX's but never driven one but would be interesting to drive a MDX-S with it's pneumatic suspension and see how well it works. SG were very complementary toward the MDX-S suspension and how composed it is over various road surfaces . My brother had a Cayenne Turbo with pneumatic suspension and it was pretty cool to adjust it or leave it in auto and let the ECU take control over ride height depending on speed.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-28-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2022 | 05:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Good review. I've not seen this one. Thanks for the posting it. Without intentionally trying to offend owners........this review is pretty much on par with others. The type S is a nice well rounded, (on the large end) midsize, premium crossover with a little bit of performance flair that is rather pricey for that little bit of performance. Why is it that Acura does not want be the performance leader with their drivetrains and not just a me too after the fact? They've done a nice job with their front wheel drive bias but, not so much with their drivetrains. I'm not hating on Acura. I'm thoroughly enjoying my 2021 RDX Advance but, even the Mazda CX-5 Turbo is quicker with the old timer 6 speed transmission. Come on Acura, you can do better.
Old 07-01-2022 | 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Keep comments civil and no personal attacks. Next person to do so and go off topic in this thread will have a week vacation. Duplicate accounts are a bannable offense for all accounts.
The following 3 users liked this post by csmeance:
04WDPSeDaN (07-01-2022), JandS Canada (07-01-2022), Jeezy550i (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022 | 06:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Keep comments civil and no personal attacks. Next person to do so and go off topic in this thread will have a week vacation. Duplicate accounts are a bannable offense for all accounts.
Thank you.

Moving forward .......I sold my 2021 Passport Elite back in October after completing all the extended road trips we had scheduled in our retirement. I decided to scale down in size to something that had a bit more luxury than the Passport and purchased a 2021 RDX Advance. We're now missing the roominess of the Passport and want to return to a midsize crossover. We really enjoy everything about the RDX except for it's physical size. The MDX Advance (not the Type S) is now in our sights because it looks so much like an RDX Advance but larger. I know the 3.5L V6 in the MDX is the same as in the Passport. My RDX feels quicker than the Passport but, the 0-60 time says it's not. Question.......for those of you who have owned and or driven both RDX and MDX, which one do you perceive as quicker from a dead stop? Straight line acceleration is an important factor to me and I don't want something less than the RDX. Thanks .
Old 07-01-2022 | 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

I drove both back-to-back and I can say the RDX feels very very slightly faster or rather like it has a bit more Torq but to be honest, it does not make that much of a difference. What does make a HUGE difference is passing or acceleration at highway speeds and in that respect the MDX KILLS the RDX. At highway speeds the RDX feels toped out with no power where as the MDX has plenty of power and still puts you in your seat. Difference of night and day on the highway. Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2022 | 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

by the way there's no replacement for displacement
Old 07-02-2022 | 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RebelShadow
I drove both back-to-back and I can say the RDX feels very very slightly faster or rather like it has a bit more Torq but to be honest, it does not make that much of a difference. What does make a HUGE difference is passing or acceleration at highway speeds and in that respect the MDX KILLS the RDX. At highway speeds the RDX feels toped out with no power where as the MDX has plenty of power and still puts you in your seat. Difference of night and day on the highway. Hope this helps
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the peppy acceleration the RDX has in pulling out into traffic & merging on the interstate/freeway. The RDX just feels quicker doing so than the V6 in the passport I had. I'm hoping the MDX with its 3.5L and 10 speed trany can do better than the 9 speed passport.
Old 07-02-2022 | 10:19 AM
Drifting

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the peppy acceleration the RDX has in pulling out into traffic & merging on the interstate/freeway. The RDX just feels quicker doing so than the V6 in the passport I had. I'm hoping the MDX with its 3.5L and 10 speed trany can do better than the 9 speed passport.
I had the prev gen MDX and it never felt like it was “sporty”, esp going up a steep hill. The current gen MDX is heavier and has the same engine so I would prob feel even less satisfied.

Even with the turbo 4 in my 2.0 TLX (same as in RDX), it feels a lot sportier despite being only 500 lb lighter than prev gen MDX. I would imagine the RDX is similar. My rec is to stick with RDX if you want to maintain that sporty feel w/o overpaying for MDX Type S.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2022 | 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RebelShadow
It's the turbo response of the 2.0T that makes it feel so much faster. The V6 in the MDX (almost all honda/acura) needs to be wound up to at least 3K RPM's to get that power that the 2.0T has due to the turbo. Acura did a great write up showing the difference in the 2.0T and the v6 in the old TLX. Pretty much shows the 2.0T takes initial lead.

RDX will feel faster and more nimble due to less weight up front, plus that fairly quick torque response. MDX will take a little longer to get moving, but once it does it's great, esp on the highway if you need to get upto 85MPH/90MPH (TX speed limits are WOW)

The big issue is weight, the MDX's engine is plenty for most folks but if you want something quick than the Type-S is a much better option.
Old 07-04-2022 | 05:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
It's the turbo response of the 2.0T that makes it feel so much faster. The V6 in the MDX (almost all honda/acura) needs to be wound up to at least 3K RPM's to get that power that the 2.0T has due to the turbo. Acura did a great write up showing the difference in the 2.0T and the v6 in the old TLX. Pretty much shows the 2.0T takes initial lead.

RDX will feel faster and more nimble due to less weight up front, plus that fairly quick torque response. MDX will take a little longer to get moving, but once it does it's great, esp on the highway if you need to get upto 85MPH/90MPH (TX speed limits are WOW)

The big issue is weight, the MDX's engine is plenty for most folks but if you want something quick than the Type-S is a much better option.
Crap!! You are the third person saying the RDX is quicker off the line than the MDX 3.5L. I was hoping for something more than the 3.5L in the 2021 Passport I sold. I want that mid size crossover that has equal to or better acceleration than my RDX and offers a good deal of luxury. The Type S is nice but, not what Acura wants for it. I can buy a very nicely equipped X5 at the same price as the Type S with better performance. Ironically, I watched a consumers report video on Youtube this afternoon and their choice for the best 2022 midsize luxury SUV was the BMW X5. It's too bad Acura doesn't offer the turbo V6 in other MDX packages without all the rest of the Type S trinkets they hang on the vehicle.
Old 07-04-2022 | 08:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ELIN
I had the prev gen MDX and it never felt like it was “sporty”, esp going up a steep hill. The current gen MDX is heavier and has the same engine so I would prob feel even less satisfied.

Even with the turbo 4 in my 2.0 TLX (same as in RDX), it feels a lot sportier despite being only 500 lb lighter than prev gen MDX. I would imagine the RDX is similar. My rec is to stick with RDX if you want to maintain that sporty feel w/o overpaying for MDX Type S.

My 2 cents.
My "nickel".....I have owned both...prev. Gen MDX and had a '22 Adv. I can definitely say, that the '22 was just as quick. Big difference, was the tuning done to the 10 spd. trans.
and the eng. mapping. I was very surprised and liked the quickness...off the stop light, and on the open road. Did not disappoint. Only reason I still don't have it...wife's car....she felt
it was too big for her to wheel around the city in. So, now it's the '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv, which is pretty damn nice. But, I'd take the MDX Adv. back.
Old 07-05-2022 | 08:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
My "nickel".....I have owned both...prev. Gen MDX and had a '22 Adv. I can definitely say, that the '22 was just as quick. Big difference, was the tuning done to the 10 spd. trans.
and the eng. mapping. I was very surprised and liked the quickness...off the stop light, and on the open road. Did not disappoint. Only reason I still don't have it...wife's car....she felt
it was too big for her to wheel around the city in. So, now it's the '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv, which is pretty damn nice. But, I'd take the MDX Adv. back.
In your opinion, was your 22 MDX quicker off the line than your RDX ? As I mentioned earlier, I want a mid size with some luxury that's accelerates as well if not better than my RDX. The 3.5L in my 2021 Passport did not deliver that. Open road acceleration or towing is not a priority to me. I want the quick off the line/slow rolling acceleration for pulling into traffic & merging on to the Interstate/Freeway.
Old 07-07-2022 | 08:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Acura MDX Type S Review - Surprise Contender - Test Drive | Everyday Driver

Old 07-08-2022 | 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Here's a thought, not to be a smart ass but why don't you go test drive them both and judge for yourself?
Old 07-09-2022 | 05:54 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Whew, Whatta Journey on this thread. sonyfever's description of the adjustable ride and suspension is one of the four reasons that make me a bit "jealous" of the 2022 Type S MDX. I have a 2022 MDX Advance since 8/2021. Traded UP from my 2019 MDX on an early lease termination deal. After watching numerous reviews of the 2022 MDX On Line and then seeing and driving the 2022 LIVE, I was Hooked. The redesign is IMHO a vast improvement over the 3rd Gen MDX. The 3rd Gen was very good SUV - but the new one does take the model to the next level. The Type S was NOT out in July & August during my upgrade consideration. My MDX Advance, sitting in my driveway (no room in my garage ) is still"winking at me" even after 11 months!
The 4 things that I envy are: 1) The adjustable suspension with automatic dampening (the auto dampening feature which is in the RDX BUT omitted in the American version of the 2022 MDX is a "slap" [But it is incluced in the Canadian version?]); 2) Massaging seats (my bad back would have welcomed that); 3) The Turbo 3.0 Engine (too bad Acura didn't make a Hybrid version available in 2022 - that would have been a No-Brainer - More HP, Torque and better MPGs for $1800); 4) Bembro Brakes on 21 " Wheels (according to reviews - the brakes on the Type S are far superior to the non S with a more firm pedal and quicker stopping times). Would I have spent another $10K for this? I don't know? If there wasa Type S to test drive at that time, knowing me, I might have taken the Bait !! You know the old saying: Once You have Steak, It's Hard to go back to eating Hamburger".
Hopefully, this thread gets back to it's created intention. Bottom line for me... I'm glad, very glad I selected the 2022 MDX Advance.Every car has Pros and Cons, so subjectively, the one most prominant factor for me was the Exterior redesign that Grabbed me immediately upon seeing it.
csmeance (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022 | 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Almatti
You know the old saying: Once You have Steak, It's Hard to go back to eating Hamburger".
Oh yeah that is so true. Everytime I drive my MDX-S then go back to RDX, I want to push the RDX off a cliff. Yes, MDX-S is ~1.5x more expensive so it has to be better, but I feel it is worth every penny of the premium. The car responses well dynamically with a much larger sweet spot and way more convincing manner than RDX, let alone standard MDX.

I highly recommend you try the MDX-S when you have a chance, because the normal version is no comparison against Type-S. If the former is warmed milk, the latter would be a latte, perhaps a little bit of mocha flavor when you switch to Sport+.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
Almatti (07-10-2022), ddodd100 (08-04-2022)
Old 07-10-2022 | 06:58 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Oh yeah that is so true. Everytime I drive my MDX-S then go back to RDX, I want to push the RDX off a cliff. Yes, MDX-S is ~1.5x more expensive so it has to be better, but I feel it is worth every penny of the premium. The car responses well dynamically with a much larger sweet spot and way more convincing manner than RDX, let alone standard MDX.

I highly recommend you try the MDX-S when you have a chance, because the normal version is no comparison against Type-S. If the former is warmed milk, the latter would be a latte, perhaps a little bit of mocha flavor when you switch to Sport+.
sonyfever, I like your analogy !! I love Latte!! You sound like a younger person than I (70). I leased my 2022 MDX Advance last August. Only 5300 miles on the clock - so it's like a Demo car now. I have a few hesitancies on considering a "Trade Up" to a Type S: 1) inflation changed EVERYTHING (can't go there as to why ); 2) even if the dealer could take my early lease termination , it would probably cost me big time $$$; 3) now living on a Fixed Income (wife and I retired), High Gas prices [Don't be Fooled by the recent "price drops" - that's Phoney Baloney by the admin. over the approaching Nov elections, tricking the public into Feeling better); 4) an very important ingredient notwithstanding the previous issues, what will be at the end of the lease term ? With the major push (down our collective throats) for EVs, what will happen to ICE cars' values in he immediate future? With the low mileage I do (10K per year in my current lease) that I will have on my current 2022 MDX - est at 16K or so by 2024 under current driving conditons that i do, I intended to perhaps buy my MDX at lease end in August 2024 (i need to review my lease again, but it is circa $38,000).

Having said all of this, I know Me.... If I test drove a Type S, it would tempt my passion and compulsion
sonyfever (07-10-2022)
Old 07-14-2022 | 12:53 PM
AZ Community Team

2022 Acura MDX Type S review // Expensive but worth it?

One of the best reviews from a couple's point of view, the guy suggests the MDX-S is in a class of it's own in his conclusion.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-14-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (08-31-2022), Tony Pac (07-21-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 09:51 PM
10th Gear

I have to agreed with the review. I test drive the MDX adv twice and when I picked up my Type S, it felt so much different.
ddodd100 (08-04-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 06:22 PM
Safety Car

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-acura-...e-s-1849449888
Old 08-26-2022 | 10:42 PM
Intermediate

Don't really buy much into this review. I do completely agree that the exhaust notes are underwhelming compared the TXL Type-S. And I also agree that the engine should produce at least 50 more horsepower. But that's about it - and you can get an 100 HP or so buy dropping $700 on a JB4 tuning kit.

The major problem I have is the comparison to the BMW X5 M50i and the claim that it's only around $9,500 more. That's complete horseshit. If you add in all the similar options that the Type-S Advance has, that M50i is almost $30k more not to mention the maintenance will easily be 2x the cost.
Almatti (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022 | 08:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by texashoser
If you add in all the similar options that the Type-S Advance has, that M50i is almost $30k more not to mention the maintenance will easily be 2x the cost.
Has anyone had the MDX Type S long enough to confirm that maintenance runs about the same as the regular MDX?
Old 08-27-2022 | 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

The major problem I have is the comparison to the BMW X5 M50i and the claim that it's only around $9,500 more. That's complete horseshit. If you add in all the similar options that the Type-S Advance has, that M50i is almost $30k more not to mention the maintenance will easily be 2x the cost.
To be fair, you can get into an M50i for $9,500 more. And for those valuing drivetrain and performance over features, it's certainly worth considering. But given the performance difference, I'd argue it shouldn't have been compared to the M50i at all. The X5 xDrive40i (starting MSRP $64k) is where most savvy shoppers will focus their comparisons.
Old 08-27-2022 | 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELIN
Has anyone had the MDX Type S long enough to confirm that maintenance runs about the same as the regular MDX?
They've only been out since February. Regular maintenance shouldn't cost more but then there are other things that might go bad on Type-S Advance like the seat massagers, the air suspension system, etc.

I'm strictly speaking to normal wear-and-tear items like belts, brake parts, etc.
Old 08-27-2022 | 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HotRodW
To be fair, you can get into an M50i for $9,500 more. And for those valuing drivetrain and performance over features, it's certainly worth considering. But given the performance difference, I'd argue it shouldn't have been compared to the M50i at all. The X5 xDrive40i (starting MSRP $64k) is where most savvy shoppers will focus their comparisons.
Sure, except to get that performance at just $9,500 more you have to give up a lot features that the Type-S Advance has. Just trying to get as accurate apples-to-apples comparison as possible.

Of course, comparing an M50i to a MDX Type-S isn't really apples to apples in the first place, as you pointed out. I'm not at all saying that the M50i isn't a sweet ride, cause is it. But it's certainly in a higher performance and cost category. That's always been the case when trying to compare Japanese and German vehicles. Typically, and I mean historically, Japanese 'luxury' comes with less performance, better reliability (ie, repairs and cost of repairs), and lower cost. If better performance is wanted and increased cost isn't a major concern, then obviously BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are better fits.
Old 08-27-2022 | 09:39 AM
Intermediate

They've only been out since February. Regular maintenance shouldn't cost more but then there are other things that might go bad on Type-S Advance like the seat massagers, the air suspension system, etc.

I'm strictly speaking to normal wear-and-tear items like belts, brake parts, etc.
yep, already had a seat massager control unit replaced, under warranty of course and with a loaner, still a pita.
Old 08-27-2022 | 10:17 AM
Drifting

The dual-scroll turbo on the Type S may command more lube oil than the V6 of the regular MDX. There's at least this difference b/w the two.
Old 08-27-2022 | 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexdv1
yep, already had a seat massager control unit replaced, under warranty of course and with a loaner, still a pita.
Really? That sucks. But hopefully that's a bad batch vs. a common problem that will have to be revisited due to poor design.

I've already had to have the moon roof (the section that opens) replaced due the seal failing and coming off in the front. The dealership says it's happened to other 2022 MDX's (non Type-S) and replacing the seal itself had bad results so they replace the entire glass panel.
Old 08-30-2022 | 06:37 PM
Safety Car

Interesting comparison; not sure how many people would cross shop a Durango SRT and MDX Type S. However, I think they’re right that either the MDX doesn’t live up to the Type S badge, or that the Type S badge doesn’t live up to performance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-392-compared/

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews