2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022 | 10:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bilirubin
perhaps, but it's worth noting that 5-60 time is just a 0.2 seconds off from the X6 40i, and likely about the same time as the X5 40i given the ~100-200 lbs difference between the X6 and X5. In other words, the MDX Type S is much closer to the X5 40i's performance numbers than the TLX Type S is to the M340i's numbers - although you could argue that the MDX Type S should've been paired against an X5 M50i, but that would require either the MDX having a V8 turbo, or the same V6 turbo but coupled with a hybrid powertrain as well.
Where are you getting your numbers. 5-60?? Most folk look at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Per Car and Driver, the X5 40i is nearly a second quicker in both. I also see the braking performance from the MDX is not so good. The Type S is in the performance class of the V6 GV80 and the Audi V6 Q7. Not the X5 40i. BMW's B58 straight 6 coupled to the ZF8 transmission is simply superior.
Old 06-17-2022 | 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ColoRDX
Where are you getting your numbers. 5-60?? Most folk look at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Per Car and Driver, the X5 40i is nearly a second quicker in both. I also see the braking performance from the MDX is not so good. The Type S is in the performance class of the V6 GV80 and the Audi V6 Q7. Not the X5 40i. BMW's B58 straight 6 coupled to the ZF8 transmission is simply superior.
Car and Driver does 5-60 tests in order to better represent what the car’s performance is like outside of the drag strip. It essentially means accelerating hard from a stop like you would 99% of the time in the real world (i.e. taking your foot off the brake and mashing the gas, not using launch control, brake torquing, dumping the clutch, etc).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30905608/how-0-to-60-tests-work/

As better explained by Jason Cammisa why 5-60 matters more in the real world:

​​​​​​​Imagine, for example, that you’re driving a new BMW X2 M35i. With 302 turbocharged horsepower, all-wheel drive, and a blazing 4.6-second 0-to-60, the BMW should have no problem keeping up with a 5.0-liter Mustang Bullitt (0–60 in 4.4) sitting one lane over. When the light turns green, you and the Mustang driver each floor it, but the Ford leaves the Bimmer for dead. Adding insult to injury, there’s a good chance you could look into the next lane and see a Honda minivan nearly keeping up.

The X2 isn’t broken—although your ego might be—but the BMW does have an infuriating delay built into its accelerator pedal. Worse, once the German car’s computer finally decides to heed your power request, there’s a metric ton of turbo lag.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWThe thing is, you could have known all this in advance, if you looked up the X2’s 5-to-60-mph time.

In 2013, this magazine began performing the ingenious rolling 5-to-60 test invented by our sister magazine, Car and Driver. Originally called “Street Start,” the test not only eliminates rollout and the abusive launch, it incorporates powertrain response times and low-end torque.

Instead of starting the timer when the car begins to move or a foot later, the 5-to-60 test uses a pressure switch under the accelerator. The timer starts when the driver mats the pedal. This practice more accurately represents what you’d see at a stoplight, and starting from a slow roll levels the playing field between the industry’s various types of transmissions.

The difference is telling. The X2’s brake-torqued, 4.6-second 0-to-60 is a staggering 1.8 seconds quicker than its real-world, mat-the-pedal 5-to-60. At 6.4 seconds, the BMW’s 5–60 sprint is far behind the Bullitt’s (5.0 seconds) and barely quicker than that of a Honda Odyssey minivan (6.6 seconds in both acceleration tests).

Don’t be surprised if that Honda van dusts a Subaru WRX STI at the next traffic light, either. The Subie’s published 0-to-60 is 5.3 seconds, but getting there requires a redline clutch-dump so abusive to the driveline, it should constitute a war crime. Had you looked at the laggy Subaru’s 7.0-second 5-to-60 number, you’d have known the boxy kid-hauler is way more likely to show its taillights to the rally champ.

These days, I’m a middle-age enginerd, and I win more stoplight grands prix than ever—even if I’m more likely to be the one in the minivan. My superpower isn’t age or experience. It’s that 5-to-60—the first number you should look at, and when the light turns green, the only one that matters.

Last edited by fiatlux; 06-17-2022 at 10:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
alexdv1 (06-18-2022), iforyou (06-22-2022), wahoowa (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022 | 04:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Car and Driver does 5-60 tests in order to better represent what the car’s performance is like outside of the drag strip. It essentially means accelerating hard from a stop like you would 99% of the time in the real world (i.e. taking your foot off the brake and mashing the gas, not using launch control, brake torquing, dumping the clutch, etc).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...60-tests-work/

As better explained by Jason Cammisa why 5-60 matters more in the real world:
Nice explanation(s) but, I prefer to know the vehicle's true 0-60 performance even it requires launch control, brake torquing, dumping the clutch, etc. If I'm going to "mash the gas" from a stop in a performance vehicle, I'll be using my launch control or brake torquing.
Old 06-20-2022 | 08:05 AM
Advanced

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (06-22-2022)
Old 06-20-2022 | 07:58 PM
Racer

His review is pretty much the same as the other professional reviewers. Interior materials and fit and finish are not on par with BMW or Audi and although the drivetrain is decent, it does not perform at the same level as the German drivetrains. Bottom line.......a good bang for the buck as is the RDX
Old 06-20-2022 | 08:31 PM
Safety Car

A redditor made a good point about why the Type S formula doesn’t work well on the MDX

I just feel it was underpowered for being the type S. The X5 and X7 are certainly quicker, and you can’t really make the argument speed isn’t everything, it pretty much is on a mid size SUV. An MDX isn’t gonna handle like a car, it’s an SUV, so it’s speed is what makes it the “type s”. I believe the MDX non type S is a great car for the price point, but don’t feel the Type S is worth the money over the German competition such as Mercedes, Audi, or BMW.
The Type S formula of being well-rounded, strong handling, and fun to drive frankly does not work well when we’re talking about large crossovers. Physics are working against the car in the handling and fun-to-drive department, and really straight line speed is what puts the performance in “performance crossover”. I’ve said before that this engine without all the racy bits at a commensurately lower price point (basically a bigger engine trim of the regular MDX) makes a more compelling product. There’s a reason why nothing else exists in the market quite like the MDX Type S
Old 06-21-2022 | 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

A redditor made a good point about why the Type S formula doesn’t work well on the MDX
The Type S formula of being well-rounded, strong handling, and fun to drive frankly does not work well when we’re talking about large crossovers. Physics are working against the car in the handling and fun-to-drive department, and really straight line speed is what puts the performance in “performance crossover”. I’ve said before that this engine without all the racy bits at a commensurately lower price point (basically a bigger engine trim of the regular MDX) makes a more compelling product. There’s a reason why nothing else exists in the market quite like the MDX Type S
I have to disagree. The car is not about numbers, it gives you a cohesive driving experience. Physics applies to everyone, and X7 M50i does not handle much better than MDX-S if you ask me. Sure, you can bring higher-end euro SUVs into the discussion and say MDX-S does not do this and does not do that, but MDX-S is generally in the ballpark with similarly-priced competition unless you demand luxury interior and low 0-60 number. I was confused initially by MDX Type-S positioning as well, but the more I drive the car, the more I appreciate its capability to bring fun-to-drive not through explosive numbers, but by the good old driving feel while able to switch to a comfortable cruiser with a twist of the IDS knob. The acceleration really is fine and enough for street/highway use, and I doubt any owner would regret buying MDX-S because it is <1s slower in 0-60 than for example X5 (though I feel people interested in MDX-S would cross-shop X7/Q7 more than X5, in such case MDX-S has comparable number if that is your thing). I know I rarely use 0-60 in real world, but every turn, every bump, I can feel the finesse engineered into the car.

The Type-S powertrain alone is not enough to turn regular MDX into a convincing product, not because the Type-S powertrain is not good enough, but because the regular MDX is too watered-down from the beginning that Acura wisely tweaked many things to improve the driving feel. For example, the air suspension is crucial to the MDX-S experience. If you have driven MDX-S and the normal version, you know they feel like two completely different cars (one feels more like X7, the other feels more like regular 3 series). The problem with MDX-S is the pricing of the Tech trim that perhaps needs more soul-searching from buyers. The Advance trim is a great value and easy sell.

Of course I am biased because I own MDX-S Advance, but I would suggest spending more time with the car to see its virtues. I think this one is easier to love than TLX-S. Or perhaps as I said before, you guys have way outgrown Acura, then that is simply another story.
The following 4 users liked this post by sonyfever:
DJ Iceman (06-30-2022), Legend2TL (06-22-2022), wahoowa (06-21-2022), WTF.Acura (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022 | 09:31 AM
Racer

I couldn't agree more with the redditor point you posted. Also, stop with the A-Spec stuff, red brake calipers, etc. Put the money into higher grade interior materials with a better fit and finish. Change the name to Acura MDX Advance "Plus" and focus on Genesis and Lexus as the competition. Not BMW and Audi. The same should apply to the RDX.
Old 06-21-2022 | 10:32 AM
6G TLX-S

I don't understand why for some people, the MDX Type-S has to beat equivalent BMW or MB vehicles in order to be deemed worthwhile buying.

The non-turbo MDX is already a nice all-round 7-seat SUV, with sales demand that already indicates MDX buyers don't put acceleration and handling performance as top priorities. The Type-S simply adds more technologies, more performance, and more luxury features to the popular regular MDX models.

The Type-S trim is like the icing on the regular MDX cake.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Almatti (06-22-2022), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (06-23-2022)
Old 06-21-2022 | 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I don't understand why for some people, the MDX Type-S has to beat equivalent BMW or MB vehicles in order to be deemed worthwhile buying.

The non-turbo MDX is already a nice all-round 7-seat SUV, with sales demand that already indicates MDX buyers don't put acceleration and handling performance as top priorities. The Type-S simply adds more technologies, more performance, and more luxury features to the popular regular MDX models.

I think the issue is that this car was hyped up to be a "performance crossover", but what was a delivered was a better handling (but not great handling due to physics) crossover with a bit more power than the base model and a nicer interior. Even if the product itself is pretty good, it misses the mark on what it was billed to be. Rubbing salt in the wound is the fact that this "performance" crossover is no faster, if not slower, than the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition. If they had just called this an MDX Plus with A-Spec, a lot of the complaints would be addressed.
Old 06-21-2022 | 05:37 PM
Racer

I think the issue is that this car was hyped up to be a "performance crossover", but what was a delivered was a better handling (but not great handling due to physics) crossover with a bit more power than the base model and a nicer interior. Even if the product itself is pretty good, it misses the mark on what it was billed to be. Rubbing salt in the wound is the fact that this "performance" crossover is no faster, if not slower, than the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition. If they had just called this an MDX Plus with A-Spec, a lot of the complaints would be addressed.
A-Spec ?? I know it's nothing more than a cosmetics package to make the vehicle look like more of a performer than it is but, do the letters "A-Spec" actually mean more than that?
Same thing with "Type S". Where did that originate and why?
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:31 AM
6G TLX-S

Does the name "performance crossover" means it has to be faster than the German counterparts ? Is it a requirement that any "high performance" crossover cannot be called "performance crossover" if it is slower than the German counterparts ?

Since the regular non-turbo MDX is underpowered and slow, when compared to the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition; the MDX Type-S at least gives Acura a faster crossover to run with the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition, instead of eating dust.

The MDX Type-S deserves the Type-S designation because it is in fact the higher performance trim when compare to the non-turbo (Tech/A-spec/Advance) MDX, being a faster, better handling, and more advanced technology than the regular non-turbo MDX.

The Acura A-spec designation has everything to do with appearance clad ons only, but not on improved engine/brake/suspension/transmission that are the key upgrades on the Type-S trim.

In terms of Acura, the MDX Type-S is the "performance crossover" and the regular MDX is the "normal crossover", in the MDX lineup.

The TLX Type-S has gone through this exact discussion over and over again in the 2G TLX sub-forum. The TLX Type-S is the highest performing sport sedan in the Acura family, second only to the $170k NSX, but falls short in 0-60 numbers against the German competitors. Does this acceleration miss make the TLX Type-S a lesser car, or a not-worthwhile-to-buy car ? Absolutely NOT.

Almost every TLX Type-S owners are happy with their Type-S that provide exceptionally good handling performance and satisfying acceleration performance. Demand is still high, and customers are still eagerly waiting for their pre-ordered TLX Type-S to arrive in dealerships.
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Does the name "performance crossover" means it has to be faster than the German counterparts ? Is it a requirement that any "high performance" crossover cannot be called "performance crossover" if it is slower than the German counterparts ?

Since the regular non-turbo MDX is underpowered and slow, when compared to the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition; the MDX Type-S at least gives Acura a faster crossover to run with the base and mid-grade levels of the German competition, instead of eating dust.

The MDX Type-S deserves the Type-S designation because it is in fact the higher performance trim when compare to the non-turbo (Tech/A-spec/Advance) MDX, being a faster, better handling, and more advanced technology than the regular non-turbo MDX.

The Acura A-spec designation has everything to do with appearance clad ons only, but not on improved engine/brake/suspension/transmission that are the key upgrades on the Type-S trim.

In terms of Acura, the MDX Type-S is the "performance crossover" and the regular MDX is the "normal crossover", in the MDX lineup.

The TLX Type-S has gone through this exact discussion over and over again in the 2G TLX sub-forum. The TLX Type-S is the highest performing sport sedan in the Acura family, second only to the $170k NSX, but falls short in 0-60 numbers against the German competitors. Does this acceleration miss make the TLX Type-S a lesser car, or a not-worthwhile-to-buy car ? Absolutely NOT.

Almost every TLX Type-S owners are happy with their Type-S that provide exceptionally good handling performance and satisfying acceleration performance. Demand is still high, and customers are still eagerly waiting for their pre-ordered TLX Type-S to arrive in dealerships.
Acura can call it whatever it likes, but what it means is that it's a disappointing "performance crossover" that is inferior in "performance" compared to the direct German competition that doesn't even have a performance slant. If this car deserves the Type S moniker strictly because it's better performing than the base model, irrespective of how it stacks up against the competition, then the Type S name truly means nothing. The fact that their flagship "performance" model can't even keep up with a base X5 and barely holds its own against a base X7 in the one performance metric most buyers care about isn't a good look. And again, Acura is the one that keeps talking about performance, and even suggesting that they're not focused in the luxury game, so to say "well Type S also means luxury" is hell of a goalpost move.

“We are a performance brand first and foremost – we haven’t talked about luxury in quite a while now,” Ikeda says. In fact, Acura doesn’t use luxury in its primary messaging anymore, recalling the first two years of the brand’s existence, when the word was nowhere to be found in any official marketing. “The L word,” as Ikeda puts it, is not Acura’s focus. “We’re getting that feeling of fun and optimism coming back into our performance image.”
"For us as a brand, we needed to kind of refocus and reestablish ourselves as a performance brand... We want everybody to understand where we are, what we're about first.

Last edited by fiatlux; 06-22-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2022 | 03:11 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

By that notion, BMW giving the M badge for a X3 M40i is disappointing too as it can only trap at 107mph in the 1/4 mile, while a base bread and butter non performance Model Y Long range traps at 114mph.
Old 06-22-2022 | 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
By that notion, BMW giving the M badge for a X3 M40i is disappointing too as it can only trap at 107mph in the 1/4 mile, while a base bread and butter non performance Model Y Long range traps at 114mph.
ICE and EV are apples and oranges, and you know that. They're in no way direct competitors because someone specifically looking for an EV is not going to be cross shopping against ICE cars, period.
Old 06-22-2022 | 04:50 PM
Racer

You shouldn't be comparing electric motors to ICE's as you wouldn't compare an EV to a rocket propelled vehicle in the 1/4 mile. They're different animals.
fiatlux is only parroting what others as well as professional reviewers have stated about the MDX Type S. I have yet to drive one. But based on what I've read, heard and seen it's really competes with the GV80 and not the Germans. It's as if Acura wants to go only so far with their performance and then stop. I can't believe they've not the technology or know how to produce powertrains that compete with or out perform the German powertrains and do it even cheaper. If I wanted a mid size luxury/performance crossover in the $75K range, I'm plunking my $$ on an X5.
Did you happen to catch the Youtube Savagegeese review on the MDX Type S ?
Almatti (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 04:53 PM
Racer

ICE and EV are apples and oranges, and you know that. They're in no way direct competitors because someone specifically looking for an EV is not going to be cross shopping against ICE cars, period.
I didn't know you beat me to the punch. I just posted the same thing.
Old 06-22-2022 | 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you guys give Acura a break when Acura was still NA without turbo, while others had moved on to turbo? And if 0-60 is so important for you, you should be looking at an EV anyway. But I don't feel like elaborating further as this is a repeat of the numerous TLX-S discussions. It is as if people drive this car solely for racing purpose. These days even Lexus RX markets itself on a race track, so I think all of us enthusiasts are wise enough to ignore the marketing and just look at the product itself.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Do you guys give Acura a break when Acura was still NA without turbo, while others had moved on to turbo? And if 0-60 is so important for you, you should be looking at an EV anyway. But I don't feel like elaborating further as this is a repeat of the numerous TLX-S discussions. It is as if people drive this car solely for racing purpose. These days even Lexus RX markets itself on a race track, so I think all of us enthusiasts are wise enough to ignore the marketing and just look at the product itself.
I’m just answering the question as to why people are down on the performance aspect of this car. If you don’t like the answer, don’t ask the question.
Old 06-22-2022 | 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I’m just answering the question as to why people are down on the performance aspect of this car. If you don’t like the answer, don’t ask the question.
I am entitled to voice my opinion just like you, no need to take it out of context.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 07:19 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

You're better than that iforyou

You're comparing apples to oranges here. (ICE VS ELECT).

X3 M40i is no slouch.

0-60 in 4.1 sec
1/4 in 12.8 sec
weight: 4378

MDX-S

0-60 in 5.5 sec
1/4 in 14.1 sec
weight: 4712

Weight diff est. 334 LBS

While the M40i or any "M lite" trims aren't true full pledged ///M models, they hold their own very well and achieve great gas mileage. BMW is the type of brand that doesn't need to remind you of "performance" or "Luxury", simply they just don't need to.
You know what you're getting.

Just to be clear, the X3 vs MDX is also apples to oranges. I actually like the MDX-S. Just don't like the S badge being something it's not. The MDX base model should have came with the 3.0T engine. If they wanted a performance version, maybe a mild hybrid setup to achieve better performance and fuel economy. Gas is certainly an issue. Acura keeps missing the mark on mild hybrid or full EV vehicles. There will be a time, where this conversation will be about soundless vehicles.
Old 06-23-2022 | 08:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN

X3 M40i is no slouch.

0-60 in 4.1 sec
1/4 in 12.8 sec

MDX-S

0-60 in 5.5 sec
1/4 in 14.1 sec

Weight diff est. 334 LBS

While the M40i or any "M lite" trims aren't true full pledged ///M models, they hold their own very well and achieve great gas mileage. BMW is the type of brand that doesn't need to remind you of "performance" or "Luxury", simply they just don't need to.

Just to be clear, the X3 vs MDX is also apples to oranges. I actually like the MDX-S. Just don't like the S badge being something it's not. The MDX base model should have came with the 3.0T engine. If they wanted a performance version, maybe a mild hybrid setup to achieve better performance and fuel economy. Gas is certainly an issue. Acura keeps missing the mark on mild hybrid or full EV vehicles. There will be a time, where this conversation will be about soundless vehicles.
"soundless vehicles".........how boring. Can you imagine a soundless funny car at the dragstrip
04WDPSeDaN (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 08:05 AM
Resurrected Drummer

"There will be a time, where this conversation will be about soundless vehicles" I started a Thread on the Other Acura Forum: Is An EV In Your Future?. From the responses there and some of the comments here, seems that many posters say Yes in 5-7 years. Perhaps for me too as a retiree who does predominantly local shopping excursions in Suburbia (NY). With the 1 x or 2x a month trip to South Jersey for family visits. When my 2022 MDX Lease expires in 2024 (or maybe sooner for an early Lease termination deal?) I would "consider" an EV SUV. It seems relatively clear that EVs are being Shoved Down Our Collective Throats. Personally, I need more Info : How lithium batteries affect a human being, the amount of charging stations, driving limits of the vehicle, How are WE going to increase the amount of electricity supply (you will need more coal burning loke the Chinese) etc. I for one, would not have welcomed sitting my EV on I-95
The following 2 users liked this post by Almatti:
04WDPSeDaN (06-23-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 02:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

You shouldn't be comparing electric motors to ICE's as you wouldn't compare an EV to a rocket propelled vehicle in the 1/4 mile. They're different animals.
fiatlux is only parroting what others as well as professional reviewers have stated about the MDX Type S. I have yet to drive one. But based on what I've read, heard and seen it's really competes with the GV80 and not the Germans. It's as if Acura wants to go only so far with their performance and then stop. I can't believe they've not the technology or know how to produce powertrains that compete with or out perform the German powertrains and do it even cheaper. If I wanted a mid size luxury/performance crossover in the $75K range, I'm plunking my $$ on an X5.
Did you happen to catch the Youtube Savagegeese review on the MDX Type S ?

X3 M40i is no slouch.

0-60 in 4.1 sec
1/4 in 12.8 sec

MDX-S

0-60 in 5.5 sec
1/4 in 14.1 sec

Weight diff est. 334 LBS

Haha may be I'm not odd one out, as I personally was cross-shopping between a MDX Type S and Model Y LR 7-seater. Here in Canada, the MY LR 7-seater was $74k CAD (before the several price hikes and now it's $90k lol) and the MDX S is $80-84k CAD. There's a bit of a price gap but I ended up with the Tesla. Yea, one is an EV and one is a gas car, I totally understand that. I must admit that I was attracted to the Tesla because of its acceleration and throttle response, even though it makes no engine noise. I literally told my Acura salesman that I'm not getting a MDX because of the high gas price (equivalent to USD$7/L here in Canada) and that I'm going EV. While it's an Apple to Orange comparison, it's indeed a comparison I made personally before making my purchase. Obviously I understand not everyone lives in a house and have access to cheap electricity and all that. But to say there's absolutely no cross-shopping between an EV and a gas car IMO is not 100% correct.

Yup, I watched the Savage Geese review. Both of them seem to love the car a lot, much more so than the regular MDX. I believe their conclusion is that they would pick the MDX-S over a lot of its competitors for the same amount of money. They also acknowledge the more expensive ones like the X7 are nicer inside and have even more premium features, but they are closer to 6 figures so not really relevant. They love how the MDX-S is very smooth and comfortable in comfort mode, but that it can be a really fun car to drive around in when in sport or sport+ mode. I understand where people are coming from our the use of the Type S badge though. It's sort of in line with what Acura does though. The Type S was often just a step up from their regular trim in performance and handling and that's all. The 3G TL-S was not competing with the M3's, but rather the 335i, which the 335i was still faster in a straight line.

I think it's also important to note the 1/4 mile trap speed in this class, which takes launch control and off the line grip out of the equation, and purely focus on power to weight ratio:
MDX-S: 100mph
GLE450: 100mph
Q7 55: 101mph
X5 40i: 101mph

The 5-60mph also takes launch control and off the line grip out of the equation, plus it shows powertrain response and turbo lag:
MDX-S: 5.9s
GLE450: 6.0s
Q7 55: 6.5s
X5 40i: N/A

I think what we can see here is that, off the line, with launch control and stuff enabled, the MDX Type S would get left behind, and based on the trap speed and 1/4 mile ET, it would never catch up, the gap will stay pretty much the same.

However, from a slow roll and then stomp on the gas, like what happens on the street usually if you need to pass someone suddenly, the MDX seems to be faster response and less turbo lag (or probably because it's the lightest of them all and so it just responds faster?). It's able to then hold that gap as its 1/4 mile trap speed is pretty much on par with everyone else. It's definitely a much better showing than the TLX-S against its competitors, where the TLX-S would be some 10mph slower for the 1/4 mile trap speed compared to the M340i.
The following 4 users liked this post by iforyou:
Edward'TLS (06-25-2022), Legend2TL (06-25-2022), sonyfever (06-25-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 03:45 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Haha may be I'm not odd one out, as I personally was cross-shopping between a MDX Type S and Model Y LR 7-seater. Here in Canada, the MY LR 7-seater was $74k CAD (before the several price hikes and now it's $90k lol) and the MDX S is $80-84k CAD. There's a bit of a price gap but I ended up with the Tesla. Yea, one is an EV and one is a gas car, I totally understand that. I must admit that I was attracted to the Tesla because of its acceleration and throttle response, even though it makes no engine noise. I literally told my Acura salesman that I'm not getting a MDX because of the high gas price (equivalent to USD$7/L here in Canada) and that I'm going EV. While it's an Apple to Orange comparison, it's indeed a comparison I made personally before making my purchase. Obviously I understand not everyone lives in a house and have access to cheap electricity and all that. But to say there's absolutely no cross-shopping between an EV and a gas car IMO is not 100% correct.

Yup, I watched the Savage Geese review. Both of them seem to love the car a lot, much more so than the regular MDX. I believe their conclusion is that they would pick the MDX-S over a lot of its competitors for the same amount of money. They also acknowledge the more expensive ones like the X7 are nicer inside and have even more premium features, but they are closer to 6 figures so not really relevant. They love how the MDX-S is very smooth and comfortable in comfort mode, but that it can be a really fun car to drive around in when in sport or sport+ mode. I understand where people are coming from our the use of the Type S badge though. It's sort of in line with what Acura does though. The Type S was often just a step up from their regular trim in performance and handling and that's all. The 3G TL-S was not competing with the M3's, but rather the 335i, which the 335i was still faster in a straight line.

I think it's also important to note the 1/4 mile trap speed in this class, which takes launch control and off the line grip out of the equation, and purely focus on power to weight ratio:

The 5-60mph also takes launch control and off the line grip out of the equation, plus it shows powertrain response and turbo lag:

I think what we can see here is that, off the line, with launch control and stuff enabled, the MDX Type S would get left behind, and based on the trap speed and 1/4 mile ET, it would never catch up, the gap will stay pretty much the same.

However, from a slow roll and then stomp on the gas, like what happens on the street usually if you need to pass someone suddenly, the MDX seems to be faster response and less turbo lag (or probably because it's the lightest of them all and so it just responds faster?). It's able to then hold that gap as its 1/4 mile trap speed is pretty much on par with everyone else. It's definitely a much better showing than the TLX-S against its competitors, where the TLX-S would be some 10mph slower for the 1/4 mile trap speed compared to the M340i.

Congrats on the Tesla!
iforyou (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 04:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

His review is pretty much the same as the other professional reviewers. Interior materials and fit and finish are not on par with BMW or Audi and although the drivetrain is decent, it does not perform at the same level as the German drivetrains. Bottom line.......a good bang for the buck as is the RDX
Drive train.."decent"...???? Please, give me a break. I just parked my 11th Acura in my garage...started with the '13 RDX. Had mostly the 3.5 engine. Had a TSX Special Edition,
a '19 RDX A-Spec, have a '22 RDX, and now a TLX Type S. Great engines...never an issue. Read ALL the details on how this 3.0 turbo engine is built. Super strong internals.
And, who cares about competition..??....that can do the 1/4 quicker or 60 times, etc???? You going to tell me...all you folks out there, that you are buying..or not, these
Acuras so you can take them to the track and or drag strip??? Hell no. AND, again, I've owned them all except the NSX...tried....and the power has been great, esp.
when matched to the SH-Awd system. My '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv is very quick...no complaints at all. As was my '19 RDX. Same drive train, as most all know. I get challenged
at times....and shock the hell out of some owners of other vehicles. So, it's more than fast enough for 99.9% of the people who will buy it.

My new TLX Type S. Again, is it the fastest...NO...and I don't care. It is so amazing to drive. And yes, it IS more than quick enough. Even though when car writers first tested
them in Cali on the track....THIS CAR IS NOT NOR EVER WAS INTENDED TO BE A TRACK CAR...PERIOD END OF STORY!! They just wanted to see what it WAS capable of.
It's always fun to take most ANY new vehicle out on a road course, just for the "fun" of being on a famous road course.

Think about this. They take them ALL...new veh. to the race courses....WHY??? 'cause they can't push them that hard on the streets!! Duh! So, that's where they get to "hang them all out"
and then write about them...as IF they were all road track vehicles. Then they disparage the ones that weren't as fast as others!! Again...SO WHAT?? These are street/hwy vehicles. And ALL,
yes, including the RDX, MDX, TLX are more than capable of doing what 99.9% of the buyers need. AND, you get a lot of vehicle for the $$. Just my humble and well earned opinion. Those
that want to own certain models...then go buy one, and join their web site...and disparage whatever vehicles from there. Comparing is OK...to a point. But, all this BS about..."oh it's .3 sec slower,
or can't win 0 to 60 times.....those are NOT the reason most would buy any of these vehicles. ONLY the serious track drivers want the best....so they aren't shopping 4 dr sedans and SUV's!!

So, for MOST all buyers, it gets down to comfort, handling, materials, all the options, etc. How the veh. makes you feel when driving on the streets and on the hwy. What you get for the $$.
I never had a complaint about the materials, etc, etc. Do some veh. have "better" materials...I guess so....but, most of them you'll pay more. My leather has been great, comfort, and all the
good things you'd want for a really fair price. Esp. before the current car market crisis. I always bought my veh. at barely over Invoice. Can't do that now. But, I've never paid over MSRP.
Great vehicles for the money, and boy, the '22 MDX Adv. I had was amazing. Why is it gone?? I'm sure you'd be wondering. My wife felt it was too large for her. I loved it. It's her ride, so, it
was traded back for the '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv, which IS a great SUV. She loves it, and that's what counts. I have my TLX Type S, and I love it. They feel right, esp. my 16 position seats, and 17
speaker ELS sound system. I've got amazing BBS wheels and Conti DSW06 Plus A/S tires on it and it rides great, smooth, and quiet. Owned many of these tires. Currently on the RDX. They
make a BIG difference over the OEM tires! Easy...hands down. It looks right, has the comfort and yet lots of fun factor intertwined throughout.

IF any of my Acuras were "crap" or falling apart...OR..???....I would have sought out a different manufacturer. When you find something that is right for more reasons that it's wrong....then that's
a good vehicle for the one buying. All others....you have choices..buy them! Doesn't mean the Acura products are no good.

My dealer has 9...MDX's on the way. 2 are Type S/Adv models. ALL are sold. Pre ordered. They can't get enough of them, or TLX's...they have zero. RDX's are all sold.
So, like someone on here bitched about too many Acuras of certain models sitting on lots....well, it all depends on a LOT of factors.

Have a nice summer. Enjoy the veh. YOU chose...and don't disparage those that buy Acuras. Don't buy one. WE don't want you too. Damn, then we'd have to hear more bitching
about this and that. Enjoy your BMW...good luck there down the road..LOL....your Genesis's, the what evers. Don't worry...BE HAPPY!!!!
Old 06-23-2022 | 06:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Drive train.."decent"...???? Please, give me a break. I just parked my 11th Acura in my garage...started with the '13 RDX. Had mostly the 3.5 engine. Had a TSX Special Edition,
a '19 RDX A-Spec, have a '22 RDX, and now a TLX Type S. Great engines...never an issue. Read ALL the details on how this 3.0 turbo engine is built. Super strong internals.
And, who cares about competition..??....that can do the 1/4 quicker or 60 times, etc???? You going to tell me...all you folks out there, that you are buying..or not, these
Acuras so you can take them to the track and or drag strip??? Hell no. AND, again, I've owned them all except the NSX...tried....and the power has been great, esp.
when matched to the SH-Awd system. My '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv is very quick...no complaints at all. As was my '19 RDX. Same drive train, as most all know. I get challenged
at times....and shock the hell out of some owners of other vehicles. So, it's more than fast enough for 99.9% of the people who will buy it.

My new TLX Type S. Again, is it the fastest...NO...and I don't care. It is so amazing to drive. And yes, it IS more than quick enough. Even though when car writers first tested
them in Cali on the track....THIS CAR IS NOT NOR EVER WAS INTENDED TO BE A TRACK CAR...PERIOD END OF STORY!! They just wanted to see what it WAS capable of.
It's always fun to take most ANY new vehicle out on a road course, just for the "fun" of being on a famous road course.

Think about this. They take them ALL...new veh. to the race courses....WHY??? 'cause they can't push them that hard on the streets!! Duh! So, that's where they get to "hang them all out"
and then write about them...as IF they were all road track vehicles. Then they disparage the ones that weren't as fast as others!! Again...SO WHAT?? These are street/hwy vehicles. And ALL,
yes, including the RDX, MDX, TLX are more than capable of doing what 99.9% of the buyers need. AND, you get a lot of vehicle for the $$. Just my humble and well earned opinion. Those
that want to own certain models...then go buy one, and join their web site...and disparage whatever vehicles from there. Comparing is OK...to a point. But, all this BS about..."oh it's .3 sec slower,
or can't win 0 to 60 times.....those are NOT the reason most would buy any of these vehicles. ONLY the serious track drivers want the best....so they aren't shopping 4 dr sedans and SUV's!!

So, for MOST all buyers, it gets down to comfort, handling, materials, all the options, etc. How the veh. makes you feel when driving on the streets and on the hwy. What you get for the $$.
I never had a complaint about the materials, etc, etc. Do some veh. have "better" materials...I guess so....but, most of them you'll pay more. My leather has been great, comfort, and all the
good things you'd want for a really fair price. Esp. before the current car market crisis. I always bought my veh. at barely over Invoice. Can't do that now. But, I've never paid over MSRP.
Great vehicles for the money, and boy, the '22 MDX Adv. I had was amazing. Why is it gone?? I'm sure you'd be wondering. My wife felt it was too large for her. I loved it. It's her ride, so, it
was traded back for the '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv, which IS a great SUV. She loves it, and that's what counts. I have my TLX Type S, and I love it. They feel right, esp. my 16 position seats, and 17
speaker ELS sound system. I've got amazing BBS wheels and Conti DSW06 Plus A/S tires on it and it rides great, smooth, and quiet. Owned many of these tires. Currently on the RDX. They
make a BIG difference over the OEM tires! Easy...hands down. It looks right, has the comfort and yet lots of fun factor intertwined throughout.

IF any of my Acuras were "crap" or falling apart...OR..???....I would have sought out a different manufacturer. When you find something that is right for more reasons that it's wrong....then that's
a good vehicle for the one buying. All others....you have choices..buy them! Doesn't mean the Acura products are no good.

My dealer has 9...MDX's on the way. 2 are Type S/Adv models. ALL are sold. Pre ordered. They can't get enough of them, or TLX's...they have zero. RDX's are all sold.
So, like someone on here bitched about too many Acuras of certain models sitting on lots....well, it all depends on a LOT of factors.

Have a nice summer. Enjoy the veh. YOU chose...and don't disparage those that buy Acuras. Don't buy one. WE don't want you too. Damn, then we'd have to hear more bitching
about this and that. Enjoy your BMW...good luck there down the road..LOL....your Genesis's, the what evers. Don't worry...BE HAPPY!!!!
Whewwww....calm down The veins in your temples are bulging.
Old 06-23-2022 | 07:37 PM
Racer

Please quit with the 5-60 mph stuff. Vehicle acceleration has always been measured 0-60 from a dead stop & how quick you make it to the 1/4 mile finish line.
Old 06-24-2022 | 04:33 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm guessing most buyers are less concerned about 0-60 than how the MDX performs as a large 3 row SUV, i.e. how comfortable and composed the ride is, the quality of materials (which SG brought up in their review), infotainment systems, comfortable seating, quiet interior,....

+1, yeah amazing what a EV can do in acceleration

Well written as usual for you.

+1, You're not the only odd one out, a friend and his wife got a Model-X also test drove some German and Lexus SUV's last year before deciding on the X which they've had for ~1 year. Also watched the SG review and as typical for them were very subjective to the overall functionality, features, quality and performance of the MDX-S. It's a step up from the normal MDX trims, which is what the TLX-S and other Type-S models Acura have made. And your analysis of the various 5-60 and 1/4mile trap also illustrate how close the German competition is. The negatives SG got into besides the drive-by-wire brakes (sensitivity and fade) was the poor fuel economy which is surprising considering the prior fuel economy heritage of other Honda/Acura products. Also they were impressed on how well the air suspension worked in actual use. Congrats on the Y.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-24-2022 | 07:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Congrats on the Tesla!
Thank you! With the poor fuel economy on the MDX-S and the recent severe price hike of fuel cost here in Vancouver, I hope I made the right choice lol.

Please quit with the 5-60 mph stuff. Vehicle acceleration has always been measured 0-60 from a dead stop & how quick you make it to the 1/4 mile finish line.
Let's just agree to disagree. My NSX has launch control and it's one of the easiest one to engage (just switch to track mode, step on brake and gas pedals together, release brake pedal). Even then, I don't use it very often especially on the street. For me, I find quick powertrain response (i.e. 5-60mph) far more important than 0-60mph. At the end of the day it's another metric used to gauge a car's performance. But ya, let's just agree to disagree.
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, yeah amazing what a EV can do in acceleration

Well written as usual for you.

+1, You're not the only odd one out, a friend and his wife got a Model-X also test drove some German and Lexus SUV's last year before deciding on the X which they've had for ~1 year. Also watched the SG review and as typical for them were very subjective to the overall functionality, features, quality and performance of the MDX-S. It's a step up from the normal MDX trims, which is what the TLX-S and other Type-S models Acura have made. And your analysis of the various 5-60 and 1/4mile trap also illustrate how close the German competition is. The negatives SG got into besides the drive-by-wire brakes (sensitivity and fade) was the poor fuel economy which is surprising considering the prior fuel economy heritage of other Honda/Acura products. Also they were impressed on how well the air suspension worked in actual use. Congrats on the Y.
Thanks Legend2TL! Honestly only the NSX from my cars can match that kind of instant response and low end torque as the Tesla. It's addictive and very practical for daily driving.

I must admit I kinda regretted not getting the X Plaid lol, especially the way that Elon Musk keeps on jacking up the price.

The fuel economy of the MDX Type S is definitely disappointing. For the Integra, I think its lack of performance IMO can be made up for its fuel efficiency advantage - not only are you saving money when you buy the car, but you are saving fuel money every time you drive. But the MDX Type S, I totally understand that it costs nearly as much as its competition when similarly equipped, but its fuel economy more of less "wipe out" that cost advantage.

Old 06-25-2022 | 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Haha may be I'm not odd one out, as I personally was cross-shopping between a MDX Type S and Model Y LR 7-seater. etc
Nice analysis of everything! Yeah MDX-S throttle and powertrain responses are so much better than RDX 2.0T. Also for highway acceleration, MDX-S feels 30-40% more powerful than my Hondata-reflashed RDX. So in real world and for 99% of buyers, power will not be an issue. To me it is the interior/assembly quality that Acura need to step up if they want to stay in the $70k+ market.

BTW you are not alone in EV/gas comparison. I am all set for an EV to replace my RDX, but I would be in the same boat if there is a RDX-S that drives nearly as good as MDX-S.
Old 06-25-2022 | 08:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Nice analysis of everything! Yeah MDX-S throttle and powertrain responses are so much better than RDX 2.0T. Also for highway acceleration, MDX-S feels 30-40% more powerful than my Hondata-reflashed RDX. So in real world and for 99% of buyers, power will not be an issue. To me it is the interior/assembly quality that Acura need to step up if they want to stay in the $70k+ market.

BTW you are not alone in EV/gas comparison. I am all set for an EV to replace my RDX, but I would be in the same boat if there is a RDX-S that drives nearly as good as MDX-S.
Isn't comparing the power of 3.0T to a 2.0T a no brainer? Still......at $75k Honda could have delivered more power from the MDX-S than they have.
Old 06-25-2022 | 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Isn't comparing the power of 3.0T to a 2.0T a no brainer? Still......at $75k Honda could have delivered more power from the MDX-S than they have.
I agree about the 2.0 vs 3.0 part, I mentioned that because I think he had a RDX before the Model Y. IMHO power is only part of the equation, response is a big piece of puzzles that often gets ignored. J30AC still does not match B58 in response, but at least it is very close unlike B48 vs K20C.
Old 06-25-2022 | 10:22 AM
6G TLX-S

Thanks for telling us your real-life SUV cross-shopping experience, especially that you did eventually buy the said SUV.

We should have more of these real-life vehicle shopping/cross-shopping experiences here, so we can truly understand what considerations and decision processes were going through the buyers' mind when they cross-shopped and purchased a vehicle; rather than reading hypothetical cross-shopping comments from someone who simply clicking away at the keyboard in front of the computer and has zero intention of buying such vehicle(s).

It is a totally different mindset for someone who intends to buy a vehicle, when compared to other who don't, especially when $80k hard-earn money in on the line.

ELIN (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022 | 05:29 PM
Racer

Thanks for telling us your real-life SUV cross-shopping experience, especially that you did eventually buy the said SUV.

We should have more of these real-life vehicle shopping/cross-shopping experiences here, so we can truly understand what considerations and decision processes were going through the buyers' mind when they cross-shopped and purchased a vehicle; rather than reading hypothetical cross-shopping comments from someone who simply clicking away at the keyboard in front of the computer and has zero intention of buying such vehicle(s).

It is a totally different mindset for someone who intends to buy a vehicle, when compared to other who don't, especially when $80k hard-earn money in on the line.
I disagree. When I'm "clicking away at the keyboard in front of the computer" I have the very same mindset as if I'm actually going to purchase a vehicle or not. I turn my vehicles rather quickly and I'm almost daily on Youtube and "clicking away at the keyboard" looking and comparing vehicles to determine which vehicle might be my next acquisition. I usually have a specification spreadsheet running on the vehicles I have interest in and continually add to it. I'll acquire my next vehicle when the mood hits me.
Old 06-25-2022 | 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I disagree. When I'm "clicking away at the keyboard in front of the computer" I have the very same mindset as if I'm actually going to purchase a vehicle or not. I turn my vehicles rather quickly and I'm almost daily on Youtube and "clicking away at the keyboard" looking and comparing vehicles to determine which vehicle might be my next acquisition. I usually have a specification spreadsheet running on the vehicles I have interest in and continually add to it. I'll acquire my next vehicle when the mood hits me.
Have you test-driven MDX-S, especially the Advance trim? I don't think it is the car for you from the impressions I received here, but IMHO it is a car worth test-driving to understand where Acura is going. The car can drive more than the spec sheets combined is all I want to say.
WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-26-2022 | 03:24 AM
6G TLX-S

You are very welcome to continue expanding your specification spreadsheet regarding your interested vehicles. We don't need to know the details.

Once you have signed off a new-vehicle purchase agreement, don't forget to summarize your decision process for selecting such new vehicle and to tell us your real-life shopping experience. This is very useful information for potential vehicle buyers, because true buyers tend to be more cautious about their selection and true-to-the-heart when hard cash changes hands.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 06-26-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2022 | 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Legend2TL (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 10:28 AM
5th Gear

I created an account on this forum just the chime in with this important information.

ColoRDX is one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen. GTFO this section of the forum you don't even own the car and do nothing but shit on it and complain. The biggest tell that you are just salty you cant afford one is how you constantly complain about the price and how it has "bad value" LOL!

"I only care about 0-60, 5-60 doesnt matter!" come on dude. Most car owners, even enthusiasts with performance cars never use the launch control or brake torque their vehicle more than 2 or 3 times to try it.

The following 2 users liked this post by IanCH:
DoubleDyno (06-27-2022), WTF.Acura (07-10-2022)
Old 06-27-2022 | 05:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by IanCH
I created an account on this forum just the chime in with this important information.

ColoRDX is one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen. GTFO this section of the forum you don't even own the car and do nothing but shit on it and complain. The biggest tell that you are just salty you cant afford one is how you constantly complain about the price and how it has "bad value" LOL!

"I only care about 0-60, 5-60 doesnt matter!" come on dude. Most car owners, even enthusiasts with performance cars never use the launch control or brake torque their vehicle more than 2 or 3 times to try it.
Calm down my good fellow. Welcome to the forum. To start with, please stop with the "dude" talk. Aren't you a bit too old for that? You sound like Bart Simpson.
This is a forum my friend. We are all here to exchange facts, knowledge, thoughts, issues, suggestions and OPINIONS. Yep....Opinions. Even if those opinions are repeated and you don't approve of them. If you don't care for a member's post(s), don't read them. Agreed?? Now...how would you know this "salty" guy can't afford an MDX Type S ? Just your OPINION ?

Last edited by ColoRDX; 06-27-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews