Why you should get 255/40-17 tires for your OEM rims !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:31 AM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear looks good, I rotate every 5000 miles and rebalance if necessary. Don't notice any road noise.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Ok, about that time again. This time I'm getting the 255's.

Looking at either the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2, Bridgestone RE760 (I've had the 750's forever and like them a lot), or, well, open to suggestions. I'd like to not spend over 200 on each tire.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Subinf,

TireRack.com has an excellent online survey of tires from a huge number of people (very large sampling size). You select the style of tire that you are interested in (summer performance, winter, touring, etc), and then you can sort (rank) the survey results based on the criteria that matters the most to you (wet traction, noise, tire life, etc).

This is how I picked the Goodyear F1-D3 for my car. My most important criteria was no hydroplaning. I sorted the tire survey results by the best hydroplaning resistance. I was pleased with the outcome of using the survey results to pick my tire.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
One on the right for me

Went with the RE760's. I've enjoyed the 750's for the past four years. Tires will be in next week.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
One on the right for me

Done today. Feels good so far. Fit the wheel fine.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Instructor

So has anyone run narrower tires?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
The fronts have 21,000 miles thus far. The tread is almost down to the wear indicators. I estimate that the front tires will last for another 2,000 miles before I replaced them. So let's estimate the life to be 23,000 miles. By the way, the tires have never been rotated (because I don't believe in it).
Inaccurate, sorry to chime in so late,

It seems sooo soon! Juts wanted to say that I did not rotate for the longest either. But one of the reasons for not going w/ staggered set up was so I can rotate. Of course we're limited to front/back and again with unidirectionals but the wear on that front tire on F-wheel drives is a bit much so in order to replace them all at once with maximum life I see no other way.

What are you going with next?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

but the wear on that front tire on F-wheel drives is a bit much so in order to replace them all at once

I replace the both front tires (as a set) when they are ready. And, I replace the rears as a set when they are ready. Two separate, independent time-tables. It is my belief that the rear tires encounter stresses (vector forces) that make them inappropriate to serve as front tires, and vice-versa. Just a belief that I developed 16 years ago, and that has served me well since.

I will definitely stick with the Goodyear F1-D3 tires. Love them, even on my wife's RL. However, I will be switching to the 245/40-17's size (versus 255). With more shorter profile of the 245/40's, I can get more of the "features" that I have come to love from the 255/40's (such as lower effective gearing, better braking leverage, and more snappy steering response). Plus, the 245 will be slightly lighter for my TL Diet.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Here is the pic from Post #563 by "subinf". This serves as a backup in case his pic fails to display in the future.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

but the wear on that front tire on F-wheel drives is a bit much so in order to replace them all at once

I replace the both front tires (as a set) when they are ready. And, I replace the rears as a set when they are ready. Two separate, independent time-tables. It is my belief that the rear tires encounter stresses (vector forces) that make them inappropriate to serve as front tires, and vice-versa. Just a belief that I developed 16 years ago, and that has served me well since.

I will definitely stick with the Goodyear F1-D3 tires. Love them, even on my wife's RL. However, I will be switching to the 245/40-17's size (versus 255). With more shorter profile of the 245/40's, I can get more of the "features" that I have come to love from the 255/40's (such as lower effective gearing, better braking leverage, and more snappy steering response). Plus, the 245 will be slightly lighter for my TL Diet.
Sorry but I'm compelled to respectfully counter;

I'm of the opinion the front tires on a F-wheel drive bear the brunt of the load by way of handling (on avg.) 60% of the weight of the car, traction and steering. We all know the rear tires are the lazy tires which simply follow and don't even carry much - like my kids do with groceries when is time to unload.

Inaccurate, you're also taking me back by going to a skinnier tire - how about the looks man , the looks????

Although I'd have to say that on the factory rim the 245s will be right at home and it won't be much of a difference in width.

At any rate, no love lost - I still think you da'man.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

ctoro99,

Which part are you wishing to counter ? I agree with the front weight biases.

Regarding the 245s, yep the Diet comes first before appearance. I purchased a 245 F1-D3 as a spare to keep at home in case I need it quickly. No one in Houston carries it in stock, so I “stock” one myself. I was surprised to see that the 245's width is identical to the 255's when I measured them myself (versus trusting the published specs).
Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

ctoro99,

Which part are you wishing to counter ? I agree with the front weight biases.

Regarding the 245s, yep the Diet comes first before appearance. I purchased a 245 F1-D3 as a spare to keep at home in case I need it quickly. No one in Houston carries it in stock, so I “stock” one myself. I was surprised to see that the 245's width is identical to the 255's when I measured them myself (versus trusting the published specs).
Just the part about the stress to the back tires ...

The reason I brought up the point about the dismal difference on the factory rim is b/c I have a 3 series who parks where I do and he has the same Kumohs I have but in the 245 flavor. Parked next to each other his 245/40/17s look wider than my 255s which is somewhat disappointing for me to say the least.

I asked the guy what size rim he had but he replied in speculation thinking it's an 8.5 to a 9" rim. Which has me believe that a 9" rim would make the TL setup perfect.

See Inaccurate for me, the fat tire look is key. If I could, I'd go to a 275, love the look.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Agree about the rear tires having an easy life. The reason that I learned to not rotate tires is because the front tires have limp sidewalls. That is, the front tires are always experiencing lateral forces from cornering that causes the sidewall stiffness to become too flexible. When those tires get rotated to serve as rear tires, I HATE the feel of those limpy sidewalls allowing the rear of the car to wag around.

In a recent post above, I incorrectly said “Just a belief that I developed 16 years ago”….. I been Not rotating tires for 28 years.

Agree too about the 245's looking wide as 255's. Hope it works that way for me.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Intermediate

No reason why it wouldn't. I also have a black TL in the neighborhood w/ 245s and I tell you, I'm beginning to believe that anything after 245s on the 8" rim is wasted rubber.

That said, I'll like to steer off subject for a tad. (sorry) But have you ever consider mud flaps for your car? I know this forum is about footwear and you are - after all - concerned about weight but after installing the wider rubber I feel like the car has somewhat of an unfinished look - mainly b/c of the tires sticking out from under the rear fenders which is not all together a bad thing.

Personally I have mixed feelings about them, at times they make a car look classy and luxurious (and protect the body) but they also take away from the sportiness of the vehicle.

Any thoughts on those for car with wider tires?

Anyone?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^I'm not a fan of mud flaps. My old wheels/tires stuck out a good bit more than stock, and I thought the ASPEC kit worked well with it. Of course, I think the car looks ten times better with the kit than without, regardless of wheels/tires.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Keeping it simple

Wow, so I just read all 15 pages...

Good info here...

I need new tires as soon as my TL is up and running...

No one has asked if 265/40 would fit on the OEM rim...I know that 265/35 was done but on a 18 inch rims...What are your guys opinion on the 265's.....Just for conversations reasons, I doubt that I'll get 265 but I might in the future...

Was thinking about the Continental ContiExtremeContact, One of my concerns is tread life and I want to get the most milage possible...Performance is nice but I dont plan on hitting tracks in my TL anytime soon...I drive mostly highway here in Houston....45 and beltway 8 to be exact...I want something that looks good and performs to my needs...

Good to know that Inaccurate is here from Houston..
Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

blatallic,

The 265's can fit, and it has been done. Check this link -

They said It couldn't be done (click here)

Fellow Houstonian

"Performance is nice but I dont plan on hitting tracks in my TL anytime soon...I drive mostly highway here in Houston....45 and beltway 8 to be exact..."

If you drive in the location of 45 and the Belt, YOU ARE on the competitive racing track.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 PM
'06 6MT WDP

Subinf,

TireRack.com has an excellent online survey of tires from a huge number of people (very large sampling size). You select the style of tire that you are interested in (summer performance, winter, touring, etc), and then you can sort (rank) the survey results based on the criteria that matters the most to you (wet traction, noise, tire life, etc).

This is how I picked the Goodyear F1-D3 for my car. My most important criteria was no hydroplaning. I sorted the tire survey results by the best hydroplaning resistance. I was pleased with the outcome of using the survey results to pick my tire.
Those Goodyear F1 GS-D3's are the greatest tires I have ever experienced. Never had them on my TL (need all seasons) but they came stock on my wifes old car (2005 VW GLI) on beautiful 18" BBS RC wheels.

Anyway, there is absolutely zero drop off in performance in the wet with those tires. You will not believe that you could push a car that hard in the rain and it sticks like glue. Unreal.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Keeping it simple

Beltway 8 is our Nascar track lol...Try going 70 there and you'll get killed....

I might bite the bullet and get 265/40/17 of just call it a day and get 255/40/17...

Decisions!!!! hmmm
Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blatallic,

Fellow Houstonian

"Performance is nice but I dont plan on hitting tracks in my TL anytime soon...I drive mostly highway here in Houston....45 and beltway 8 to be exact..."

If you drive in the location of 45 and the Belt, YOU ARE on the competitive racing track.
LOL... so true!!!! i was down there once with my friends....LOL LOL LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
7th Gear

Excessive Wear

I have been running the Goodyear F1s for the past 20 months/ 20k miles in North Texas. 5k miles on my 04 and 15k miles on my 07.

They drive great but they are very loud. Wonder if this is an issue for cars equipped with the new Bose sound canceling system.

Just discovered that the inside tread of the front drivers side tire is down to the fiber. Totally gone. Right tire still has plenty of life in it. Rear pair look like they could go another 15k.

Very dissapointed in this. Will cost me $600 for a new front pair or $640 for four new Yokahama 245s. I am opting for the latter. They will last me through the end of my lease.

I think that the car came from the factory misaligned. It drives fine and I don't recall hitting anything that would toe in. Acura dealership was sympathetic but said that I should have checked the wear more carefully. I don't think that I will get anything out of them. Maybe a free alignment once I put the new tires on.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgannon87
I have been running the Goodyear F1s for the past 20 months/ 20k miles in North Texas. 5k miles on my 04 and 15k miles on my 07.

They drive great but they are very loud. Wonder if this is an issue for cars equipped with the new Bose sound canceling system.

Just discovered that the inside tread of the front drivers side tire is down to the fiber. Totally gone. Right tire still has plenty of life in it. Rear pair look like they could go another 15k.

Very dissapointed in this. Will cost me $600 for a new front pair or $640 for four new Yokahama 245s. I am opting for the latter. They will last me through the end of my lease.

I think that the car came from the factory misaligned. It drives fine and I don't recall hitting anything that would toe in. Acura dealership was sympathetic but said that I should have checked the wear more carefully. I don't think that I will get anything out of them. Maybe a free alignment once I put the new tires on.

I have the falken ZE-512 on mine. The front pair which is now in the back are worn but can hold on until winter. I only have about 14K on the whole set. Looks like you have to rotate them every oil change instead of every other (schedule a vs b). The tires are a bit noisy now. I had an alignment done but there was only a slight adjustment done. These are 30K tires.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Instructor

I have the falken ZE-512 on mine. The front pair which is now in the back are worn but can hold on until winter. I only have about 14K on the whole set. Looks like you have to rotate them every oil change instead of every other (schedule a vs b). The tires are a bit noisy now. I had an alignment done but there was only a slight adjustment done. These are 30K tires.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

One tire wearing faster than the others and especially only in one area of the tread is an alignment issue. Alignment issues can also cause the tires to cup, making them louder over time.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I Have A Meth Lab In

Tires for snow/rain

Originally Posted by jpellegrino
in snow, you want skinny tires, not fat ones. unfortunate trade-off.
Okay, maybe not really snow, but on my BMW 3 series coupe, I went through 3 sets of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S. As compared to the stock Conti's, they were quieter, lasted 60k+ miles, and were AWESOME as far as hydroplaning, and did much better than the stock Continentals in light snow. The mileage was well worth it as I only got 30k miles out of the stock tires at most, and I drive "spirited" (as Tire-Rack says). My reviews of the tire are on Tire-Rack under the same name. I will be putting the same tires on my TL-S as soon as the Michelins wear out. Anyone else try the P-Zero's on their TL????
Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 AM
JRH
Intermediate

Anyone running Yokohama W4S in 255/40/17 on the stock rims? These tire really sound great, but with a section width of 10.4 inches and a tread width of 9.6, I am thinking they might be too wide for the stock rims. I am not a big fan of sidewall bulge.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
blatallic,

Be careful with making quick comparisons based on published size for a specific brand against another brand of the same "size".

Example, the Goodyear's tend to run narrower in tread width then some other brands of the exact same published size.

My 255/40/17's Yoko's are about 3/4 of a inch wider at the tread then Inaccurate's Goodyear 255/40/17.

The 265/35/18 Goodyear's in the "They said It couldn't be done......." & the Goodyear 255/40/17 have almost the exact same tread width, 9.2 vs 9.1 so the guy who bought them spent a bit of extra money for some bragging rights regarding the tire size but no more effective rubber on the ground then Inaccurate got.

As Inaccurate said above even the Goodyear 245's are almost the same size if you actually measure them.

This is because there are no true standards regarding the way sizes are advertised among different brands the only sure way to determine fit is to physically measure the tires.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
This is still an awesome thread. I want wider tires on my Type S. Now I'm thinking about buying tires before my OEM's wear out.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ctoro99
Just the part about the stress to the back tires ...

The reason I brought up the point about the dismal difference on the factory rim is b/c I have a 3 series who parks where I do and he has the same Kumohs I have but in the 245 flavor. Parked next to each other his 245/40/17s look wider than my 255s which is somewhat disappointing for me to say the least.

I asked the guy what size rim he had but he replied in speculation thinking it's an 8.5 to a 9" rim. Which has me believe that a 9" rim would make the TL setup perfect.

See Inaccurate for me, the fat tire look is key. If I could, I'd go to a 275, love the look.
Ahhh... 275/30R19 Toyo T1R tires on a 9.5in wide rim w/ the stock mud-flaps...

Old 09-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, are 255/40-17's OK for snow?
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Wide tires are not a good plan for driving in snow & wide summer tires are Russian roulette with a bullet in every cylinder.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

this a nice kick ass car

Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

After reading this thread and other research, I've joined the 255/40-17 crowd! I went with the Yokohama Advan S.4. I wanted to get Summer tires but we can get some light snow here in NC and I need to get around. I'll be keeping an eye on them with a tread gauge. I am running them at 35F, 32R on my 07 TL-S and the contact patch looks good.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
As Inaccurate said above even the Goodyear 245's are almost the same size if you actually measure them.

This is because there are no true standards regarding the way sizes are advertised among different brands the only sure way to determine fit is to physically measure the tires.
Exactly right, and TIRERACK has already done this. Anyone looking for tires should look at the specs for each and note the measured tread width.

I am running 245/45 17" Bridgestone RE01's and they have a tread width of 9.1". Many of the 255's do not have as much tread and are not recommended for an 8" rim.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
07 Nighthawk Black Pearl

Finally, someone to back me up. Thanks Aaron

Aaron, I see that this is your first post. Welcome aboard !!
Thanks for taking the time to post. I am very glad that you enjoy the new tires. It is rewarding to see that my efforts have not "fallen on deaf ears" !!! I have benefited from this forum since I got my 2006 TL, and I wanted to "return the favor" by helping others here on the forum. So, Thanks again Aaron for the post.

I think we should begin a "Team 255/40-17" club. The first member is hereby officially designated as "danno" . As far as I could see from doing searches on this forum, he was the "first and only" person to ever mount 255/40-17 tires on the oem rims. It was his example that gave me the encouragement to try the 255/40-17. If it was not for his photos showing his TL with 255/40-17, I probably would not had tried them. And, I am Sooooo glad that I did find danno's archived post and Sooooo glad that I went with the 255/40-17 !!! If you do a forum search for all post by "danno", you will see that he was very proud and pleased with his 255/40-17 (as am I). The sad part is that he does not visit the TL forum anymore. According to his profile, he last visited the forum on 02-09-2006.

The "Team 255/40-17" Member List
------------------------------------------
Team 255/40-17 Member #1 = danno
Team 255/40-17 Member #2 = Inaccurate
Team 255/40-17 Member #3 = AaronB

Here is the link to danno's profile -->
https://acurazine.com/forums/members/danno-122571/

Here is the link to danno's photos -->
http://www.pwolly.com/EBAY/Dan/car.htm

Here are some of his qoutes -->

No rubbing AT ALL! I had the tire shop try the tire on each side to "check" for clearance before buying. I `ve driven a couple of weeks with no problem. LOVE THESE TIRES! (03-29-2004, 9:41 AM )

The tires are great on this car. Better grip in the rain than Turanzas. After looking at the before and after pics of my car with 235s vs. 255s, These tires LOOK like they are made for the car... (04-04-2004, 10:53 AM)

I put the Yokos on with 255/40/17s. They look and ride great (04-07-2004, 9:30 PM)

The Yokos in 255/40/17s have been on my car a couple months. No problem at all. They look great! (04-16-2004, 10:42 AM)

I was the one who put the 255/40/17s on.Yokohamas. Great tire.Size is perfect. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! (04-17-2004, 1:57 PM )

They fit perfect, and looks like they came on the car as an option. (05-01-2004, 4:47 PM )

I`ve got the 255/40/17s ES100s and they are THE PERFECT size for the wheel AND the car. (05-16-2004, 3:21 PM)

<< end of qoutes by danno >>

And, here is a pic of danno's car with the 255/40-17 YOKO ES100 (this was in March 2004 !!!!)

Big Image, click here --> http://www.pwolly.com/EBAY/Dan/DSCN2556.JPG
W00t, I'm part of the club now too...lol. proud owner of 255/40/17's Potenza RE-01R's on my 07 TL-S.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
you said it brother!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Well, here we are. It has been almost 3 years and 30,000 miles since I installed the 255/40 tires.

Contrary to the naysayers, my 255/40 tires never exploded nor had any unusual wear pattern. The 255/40 Goodyear F1-D3's were a great tire for me these past 3 years. I did (and do) love them much. However, time marches forward... and so does desires. I will be replacing them with 235/40-17 Michelin PS2. Note, this is 235/40-17, not 235/45-17.

Although I am not getting more Goodyear F1-D3's, I do still highly recommend the F1-D3's, and still recommend the 255/40-17 tire size on the oem rim. I am not advocating the 235/40-17 tire size to the general forum reader. The 235/40-17 is an oddball size (not intended) for the TL that fulfills a few niche desires that I have (explained below).

Three years ago, my desire was to have wide tires on the oem rims for the sake of appearance. Today, my desire is to satisfy my "TL Diet" (clickable link here) addiction for the sake of performance. I got the Michelin PS2 because they are designed to be lightweight. Plus, the PS2 is highly rated for performance and very sticky.

I went with the 235/40-17 size to get the smallest diameter and lightest weight (24.4 inch and 21.0 lbs). The small diameter tire has the following advantages:

1) Improved braking performance - the rotor has increased leverage against the road.

2) Improved holeshot acceralation - more favorable effective gearing.

3) More favorable Moment-of-Inertia - mass is located closer to the rotational axis (less flywheel effect).

4) Less weight - removing unsprung weight and greatly reducing dynamic weight.

Basically, it is just the opposite of the complaints that you normally hear regarding the performance-robbing 20-inch wheels.

For closure (pun is intended), here are some pics. Cheers

Pics of the new tires (235/40-17)

Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone tried 255/45/17 tires?!

So to reduce the oddly large wheel gap, has anyone tried 255/45/17's?!

Note, I am asking about 45 series, not 40 series...

And if you did try that, how did it go?!

I am getting new tires soon and am convinced on the 255/40/17. But the wheel gap is odd looking and I don't want to lower the car with new springs. I like the wide tire though, so why not 255/45/17's?!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by sac2006TL
So to reduce the oddly large wheel gap, has anyone tried 255/45/17's?!

Note, I am asking about 45 series, not 40 series...

And if you did try that, how did it go?!

I am getting new tires soon and am convinced on the 255/40/17. But the wheel gap is odd looking and I don't want to lower the car with new springs. I like the wide tire though, so why not 255/45/17's?!
It will certaily close the gap as the 255/45 is about 3/4" taller than the 235/45 and about 5/16" taller than the 245/45.
Get the Yoko W4s 245/45-17 with a tread width of 9.2" and diamter of 25.7" best of both worlds, unless you want to stick with the 255's.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Has anyone tried the 255/45/18 or 255/40/18 tires on a A-Spec rim?

Quick Reply: Why you should get 255/40-17 tires for your OEM rims !!!