What is with this stretching tires trend...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Too anyone bitching about safety with any of the following mod's

Aftermarket wheels = Your car was not designed for these wheels and they are in most case's not as strong as your OEM wheels, they could crack and you

could hit sed mini van with kids in it ,lol

Low profile tires = Once again your car was not designed to handle these tires the lack of side wall puts more stress on your wheels and suspension and could cause premature failure and become a safety hazard.

Tinted headlights or taillights = This is not only a hazard to your self (In that it restricts your vision but it is a hazard to others (in than they are less likely to see you)

Aftermarket suspension = In most cases are stiffer putting more stress on other suspension components (tie-rods bushings elect) that could result in premature failure and be a hazard.

C.A.I= In high water it could cause your motor to lock-up and could potentially make you lose control and have an accident (this happen to someone I know)

HID fogs mods Your fog lights lack a piece of metal in them that keep the bright light from blinding other drivers and could cause an accident.

The list goes on and on and on

Moral of the story MOST MODS ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS so shut your hypocritical cunt mouth and realize that you are on a custom car enthusiast site that obviously puts mods before safety for the most part.

I like how this thread spun from a somewhat informative yet opinionated discussion to "shut the hell up" kindergarten crap....

And HI OFECR...great blatant abuse of the phrase "not designed"....obviously our cars are designed more than what's in em. No engineer designs anything without placing a factor of safety on it. This is seen by the lineup of modifications offered by Acura itself.... Aspec suspension, p vs type S, larger rims manufactured by Enkei.

Is it smart to close in that gap of factor of safety...eh, up to a point its cool!
Can you do it? Sure!

Tire Stretching places higher stresses on the walls of the tires...hence the blowout picture... If the tire can handle it, great. But if it cant, fail. Is said tire stretcher endangering those of others on the streets by probably overdoing the stretch, or using a cheap/low strength tire...Most would say yes. How many here can say they have complete control of their vehicle under a catostrophic tire failure?

In my opinion

it looks like rice along with all sorts of fugly.

Remember..Opinion
Thats all Kennedy was getting at.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Too anyone bitching about safety with any of the following mod's

Aftermarket wheels = Your car was not designed for these wheels and they are in most case's not as strong as your OEM wheels, they could crack and you

could hit sed mini van with kids in it ,lol

Low profile tires = Once again your car was not designed to handle these tires the lack of side wall puts more stress on your wheels and suspension and could cause premature failure and become a safety hazard.
That's not a fair statement at all. My Forged VOLKs are WAY stronger than anything OEM... and MOST wheels are manufactured and certified meeting certain strength standards... know what JWL means?
Sure, Seva's are known bad, Privats are known to "bend" not shatter... but that's about it. The rule, and again, my comments are about lack of performance, is to get stronger performance wheels... Hence my comment about using Volk TE's (VERY strong single block forged) and then stretching tires over them... why...?

Your tires comment makes no sense. How does a tire put more stress on the suspension?

Using cheap inferior products as a saafety issue seems to be the theme, which to that I say... no shit Let's discuss further.

Tinted headlights or taillights = This is not only a hazard to your self (In that it restricts your vision but it is a hazard to others (in than they are less likely to see you)
I agree here... I htink it's just asinine to defeat the performance of you lighting component as much as the handling component of the car. Being a motorcyclist as well, I advocate for MORE and BETTER lighting!

Aftermarket suspension = In most cases are stiffer putting more stress on other suspension components (tie-rods bushings elect) that could result in premature failure and be a hazard.
Sure, but premature failure of said wear components is just as much of a concern of mine with stock equipment as much as aftermarket. That what preventive maintenence and inspections are for. Frankly, I feel good quality, tested aftermarket suspension components are more reliable than stock, as they're over engineered to be stronger and last longer... hence the premium price.

C.A.I= In high water it could cause your motor to lock-up and could potentially make you lose control and have an accident (this happen to someone I know)
LOL... If you're driving fast enough to simulateously hit water/hydrolock your engine you've already lost control. You're now "sinking".

HID fogs mods Your fog lights lack a piece of metal in them that keep the bright light from blinding other drivers and could cause an accident.
Concur, I stated this earlier in the thread as well...

The list goes on and on and on

Moral of the story MOST MODS ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS so shut your hypocritical cunt mouth and realize that you are on a custom car enthusiast site that obviously puts mods before safety for the most part.

and I disagree, so allow to my run my filthy cunt mouth a minute...

Many here feel it's OK to do exactly what you said (make mods that are dangerous in the name of vanity), which again, I agree with you on many points... Doesn't mean I should shut up about it becasue of where we are. In fact, as a member here, I feel I SHOULD be raising these issues in hopes some folks thinking about making said modifications may reconsider.

I've runover a ricers shitty installed spoiler that blew off, I've been blinded by a ricers shitty HID fogs, I've almost hit a ricers due to the "blackout"... I'm just waiting to be side swiped by a ricers blowout due to ill fiting rims and stretched tires.

Mods are fine, they're great. I've got the value of my TL in mods. None of which are safety hazards to others unless something catastrophic fails due to a significant manufacturing defect that was not detected by a competent installer (ME!), or due to lack of maintenence and inspection.

Perhaps you could use a lesson in manners and effective writing. It'll take ya places talking like a derelect sailor won't...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
It's 2009 the virus has got to a lot of folks. Every new wheels thread has this as the centerpeice.

I don't get it guys... Help me out here.

Why.

That used to be a trend in the Euro crowd, but as Japanese manufacturers begin to converge thier styling towards German design, I can see why the influence is bleeding over... but I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.

1) It's dangerous. the sidewall is designed to absorb energy horizonatally, not at 45 degrees. Thsi is hotly contested on the internet, but it is a fact, and few shops will mount stretched tires for a reason.

2) It's expensive. Raw lips hangin in the breeze. Can you say curb damage?

4) When coupled with these extreme offsets that are danger close to the "rolled" fender, the danger is amplified more, as most of these wide stance cars I've seen are slammed. At 120 mph, slammed, and your stretched tire that close to the fender... get my drift? and that said, most folks are only doing lock to lock steering checks in thier slammed configuration. What happens when you hit a bump with your wheel turned? I'll give you one guess.

3) It's aestetically... awkward. It's interesting to look at as it more cleanly shows the rims, but it looks like something has gone wrong in your tire mounting.

I guess I like to pretend my 300+ WHP car has a performance side to it, and when I choose to engage that side of it, I want my wheels/tire choice to help, not impair the driving style I've elected. I'm not driving a trailer queen 64 impala on hydro's...

I expect a lot of "cuz it looks hawt..." responses, which is acceptable I guess... but 13" Dayton's looked good in 1989, and 30" on Donks looks good to some folks today. To me, the stretched tire trend is counter performance and is in the same category.

Maybe I'm gonna buck the trend and go back to subdued lightweight 17's and beefier wider tires... A real perforamance car look, and real performance to go with the look.

Discuss...
thats what it's about making that fatty lippp on some rubber band tiressssssssssss!!!!cheeee as far as performance come on now look at them drifters still killing with that fatttty camber and fattttttttttty lippppp on them rubbbberband tires it all depends on how you like the look or if you dont.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by alohafaka808
thats what it's about making that fatty lippp on some rubber band tiressssssssssss!!!!cheeee as far as performance come on now look at them drifters still killing with that fatttty camber and fattttttttttty lippppp on them rubbbberband tires it all depends on how you like the look or if you dont.

Yes, because drifters have so much in common with a performance street car.

As it was stated already you may get better feel and stiffness, at the expense of absolute traction.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the aesthetics of staggered wheels and stretched tires on a FWD car, but I would never run it on my own car. I'm in this for both looks and performance, but if I have to pick one or the other, I'll take performance. Different strokes for different folks. I'm running 18x8 +48 with a 235/40 tire on my TSX and couldn't be happier with the setup.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
hey kennedy, i'm putting 225/35/19 on my 19x9.5 +22 rear volks (not even lying)
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by bforbrian
madness... I wish I understood why.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
madness... I wish I understood why.
lmao, for me, it's just more fender clearance
Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not a fair statement at all. My Forged VOLKs are WAY stronger than anything OEM... and MOST wheels are manufactured and certified meeting certain strength standards... know what JWL means?

I said "In most case's" And yes forged wheels can be stronger but are not indestructible usually due to low profile tires. but yes I agree with you but how many people run forged wheels?

Your tires comment makes no sense. How does a tire put more stress on the suspension?

Fat tires absorb more shock from the road. anyone that has ever gone from OEM to low profile 40 series and under tires notice that the ride gets a lot harsher which in-tern transfers more vibration and shock forces to your bushings + other suspension components.

Using cheap inferior products as a saafety issue seems to be the theme, which to that I say... no shit Let's discuss further.

I agree here... I htink it's just asinine to defeat the performance of you lighting component as much as the handling component of the car. Being a motorcyclist as well, I advocate for MORE and BETTER lighting!

Sure, but premature failure of said wear components is just as much of a concern of mine with stock equipment as much as aftermarket. That what preventive maintenence and inspections are for. Frankly, I feel good quality, tested aftermarket suspension components are more reliable than stock, as they're over engineered to be stronger and last longer... hence the premium price.

Its not so much that the parts are not quality, and more that they weren't originally designed for the car, take the rear sway bars for example QUALITY product but still our chassis weren't designed for the extra force and in tern fail.

LOL... If you're driving fast enough to simulateously hit water/hydrolock your engine you've already lost control. You're now "sinking".

You don't have to be going any speed, if you submerge your CAI in water it will stall & sometimes hydro lock your engine.

Concur, I stated this earlier in the thread as well...

and I disagree, so allow to my run my filthy cunt mouth a minute...

Many here feel it's OK to do exactly what you said (make mods that are dangerous in the name of vanity), which again, I agree with you on many points... Doesn't mean I should shut up about it becasue of where we are. In fact, as a member here, I feel I SHOULD be raising these issues in hopes some folks thinking about making said modifications may reconsider.

I've runover a ricers shitty installed spoiler that blew off, I've been blinded by a ricers shitty HID fogs, I've almost hit a ricers due to the "blackout"... I'm just waiting to be side swiped by a ricers blowout due to ill fiting rims and stretched tires.

Mods are fine, they're great. I've got the value of my TL in mods. None of which are safety hazards to others unless something catastrophic fails due to a significant manufacturing defect that was not detected by a competent installer (ME!), or due to lack of maintenence and inspection.

Perhaps you could use a lesson in manners and effective writing. It'll take ya places talking like a derelect sailor won't...
Really I don't disagree with you, But modding isnt for the most part SAFE Ideally leaving the car stock is probably your best bet but who the shit wants to do that.

Fu(k a sailor Im an internet Alfa douche.... I though chicks were the only one that were offended by the word CUNT.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
For the benefit of the thread and the forum, let's leave the word 'c..t' out of the discussion please. This forum isn't a locker room folks.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Really I don't disagree with you, But modding isnt for the most part SAFE Ideally leaving the car stock is probably your best bet but who the shit wants to do that.

Fu(k a sailor Im an internet Alfa douche.... I though chicks were the only one that were offended by the word CUNT.

I rather live with the dangers of driving a modded car versus a stock car. I see many potential of crashing in a stock car than a modded one (if it's modded safely).
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HONgDA
I rather live with the dangers of driving a modded car versus a stock car. I see many potential of crashing in a stock car than a modded one (if it's modded safely).
How is that?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

please, continue with this thread.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out the contact patch in Ballin's TL (rear pass tire)!

No offense Faiz, i love your car but this picture reminded me of this thread
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Hahahah naw man, I glossed up the tires right before that shoot hahah
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
My baby's ride...

^^ I may be the only one on this thread who thinks that your setup with VS-XX was a better. No offense intended.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
Hahahah naw man, I glossed up the tires right before that shoot hahah
woops!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Shyne

Originally Posted by bforbrian
What volks are you getting? Sounds like G35/350z fitment to me haha. Good luck making it work
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Shyne

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Kennedy.

You will find that life if much more enjoyable if you just stop bitching about things.

FYI, i'm running a 235/35 on 9.5 TEs. Hopefully my rollcage will save me when my damn inner tire wall detaches from the tread pattern, after the TL flips and travenes into an unforseen object.

Have a nice day!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
wdp skyhawk

do whatever makes you happy lol
Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Originally Posted by I hate cars
How is that?
Well if you were to drive spiritedly in the stock TL. I wouldn't feel safe knowing I would be sliding over the place with the crappy Michelin tires from the factory, stock RSB, and the stock height.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HONgDA
Well if you were to drive spiritedly in the stock TL. I wouldn't feel safe knowing I would be sliding over the place with the crappy Michelin tires from the factory, stock RSB, and the stock height.
Agreed on the tires. Though the aftermarket RSB makes it more likely for the rear to slide but I prefer that anyway.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 PM
SSM Sport Shifting

even them little corrollas are doin it...

Name:  IMG_4124.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  40.7 KB

LOL..... hope Im not offending anyone but that does not look good.
Looks like a pimped out car Mini Me would roll in

Dont get me wrong I like the streched tire look. I think it looks incredible.
But I agree with kennedy about the safety issues. Plus I would hate to
curb rash a rim. So I would have to be extra careful if I had rims tires/rims
like that. But I have stockies so whatever.

Its all about what people want. Some people want the big 22's & some want
the 17's & 18's. Whatever you like it all up to you. In the end its your car.
This is a cool thread BTW. Lots of good info.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by juruki
Check out the contact patch in Ballin's TL (rear pass tire)!

No offense Faiz, i love your car but this picture reminded me of this thread
Is it just me, or is Faiz's exhaust wider than his rear tires now... :what.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Pro

some of you guys need to lay off of....

-Jason
Old 04-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it just me, or is Faiz's exhaust wider than his rear tires now... :what.

i like Faiz's exhaust setup.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Kennedy (OP),

Its so refreshing to see someone on this site capable of rational thought and the ability to make an argument. REGARDLESS of what side you take on this topic. I happen to agree with you 100% tho. Here's to not ruining otherwise nice cars.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
form should follow function.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
dumpt status

different strokes for different folks .period.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Kennedy-I have to agree with you on this one. It's hard enough to keep from curbing stockies, but to have those? Here in Detroit, that looks like a recipe for disaster. But those that have-keep'em if you lov'em. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Just my . I prefer wider tires protecting those $$$ wheels.

Are you guys that are stretching gonna get curb feelers next?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

215 on 11.5"

P.S. i find it funny how the last 5 visitors to that wald guy's profile were all the "vip" heads :P
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^^^ That's CRAZY.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by DecaFe1

i love the streched tire look but that just takes it way to far.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hahaha this thread hates me.

I rock skinnies, and I rock stretch.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DecaFe1

215 on 11.5"

P.S. i find it funny how the last 5 visitors to that wald guy's profile were all the "vip" heads :P
i have to ask what is the name of east indian tire shop who mounted your tires.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

to each his ownnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
lol...

Name:  IMG_4418.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  96.6 KB
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
is that by any chance going on a VW? those guys are notorious for insane streching like that
Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
is that by any chance going on a VW? those guys are notorious for insane streching like that
NO... a VIP Platform vehicle in NYC...

Quick Reply: What is with this stretching tires trend...?