Toyo Proxes 4 - about time!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 - about time!

Finally got some new shoes -- Toyo Proxes 4 were installed at lunch today. Big pain to get any kind of credit. It is raining so I did get to test them in H20 -- much better than the EL42 crap (had 2 sets for 19K miles). But since it is raining I can't tell if they improve the rest of the handling. Based on others feedback, I should be smiling from here on in....

One question: don't know if I'm being hype-sensitive or not, but they feel "nobbier". I wouldn't say the ride isn't smooth, b/c it is and they aren't louder, but I do get a very slight feeling. The Toyo dealer did mention that these had lot more/deeper tread that the EL42s, so maybe that is it?

They look much cooler too!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I had a set of Proxes on my last car - they were great! They stuck to the road like glue and wear was almost nothing (had them 3 years). When I finally get around to getting some real wheels for my TL, they will be wrapped in Proxes, no question.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:05 PM
JDM whore in training

Originally Posted by Wanta04TL
Finally got some new shoes -- Toyo Proxes 4 were installed at lunch today. Big pain to get any kind of credit. It is raining so I did get to test them in H20 -- much better than the EL42 crap (had 2 sets for 19K miles). But since it is raining I can't tell if they improve the rest of the handling. Based on others feedback, I should be smiling from here on in....

One question: don't know if I'm being hype-sensitive or not, but they feel "nobbier". I wouldn't say the ride isn't smooth, b/c it is and they aren't louder, but I do get a very slight feeling. The Toyo dealer did mention that these had lot more/deeper tread that the EL42s, so maybe that is it?

They look much cooler too!

my TSX are wrapped in Toyo Proxes-4.. good choice man. Im glad I got them.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Instructor

It won't stop raining here, but man am I impressed. I didn't realize how much grip I WASN'T getting in the rain. No flat spotting. Whoo-hooo! Not bragging b/c I really only got the poor-man's Michelins, but now I feel compelled to tell any TLer I see " Hey dude - you HAFTA switch out those tires, trust me! "
Old 03-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What size did you get? I am looking at the same tires, but going with a 245/45/17 to help protect against curb rash.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob04tl
What size did you get? I am looking at the same tires, but going with a 245/45/17 to help protect against curb rash.
I got the stock 235/45/17. Didn't really think about it as I didn't want 18"s. If the look was still good, I wish I had considered that as these are some of the easiest wheels to scratch that I've ever owned. Don't know that size change would have affected my opinion of the tires. I was just driving in today thinking that I was so glad that I didn't have any flat spotting and I was grippin' the road! For the money you can't go wrong. If they get hard like the Falken's or wear out fast, etc.. then you only paid 1/2 what the Michelin's cost. I'm just betting on getting another screw in my tire and have the beauty of a cheap replacement!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanta04TL
I got the stock 235/45/17. Didn't really think about it as I didn't want 18"s. If the look was still good, I wish I had considered that as these are some of the easiest wheels to scratch that I've ever owned. Don't know that size change would have affected my opinion of the tires. I was just driving in today thinking that I was so glad that I didn't have any flat spotting and I was grippin' the road! For the money you can't go wrong. If they get hard like the Falken's or wear out fast, etc.. then you only paid 1/2 what the Michelin's cost. I'm just betting on getting another screw in my tire and have the beauty of a cheap replacement!
Already scratched both of my rear wheels...its sucks. I noticed you keep mentioning the Michelin's...the Proxes 4's got just as high ratings from both testing groups and users...that doesn't sound like "a poor man's Michelin", that sounds like Michelin jacking you a $100 a tire for nothing. As for you potential screw problem that's a $5 plug at Pep Boys (or a free plug at the dealer). Anyway, enjoy the new shoes!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Already scratched both of my rear wheels...its sucks. I noticed you keep mentioning the Michelin's...the Proxes 4's got just as high ratings from both testing groups and users...that doesn't sound like "a poor man's Michelin", that sounds like Michelin jacking you a $100 a tire for nothing. As for you potential screw problem that's a $5 plug at Pep Boys (or a free plug at the dealer). Anyway, enjoy the new shoes!
Yeah I have several scatches. I honestly have stopped looking until I find someone locally who can repair them. It is too painful.

I know what you mean about the ratings, but everyone also raves about the Michelins. I guess I hadn't heard about the Toyos until this forum so I am a little hesitant to say that they are "just as good" until I've had them for 20K miles.

The screw was too close to the sidewall, so no one would fix it-- of course!