Tire Choices? Sumitomo HTR Z III?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 02:27 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Tire Choices? Sumitomo HTR Z III?

My Nitto Motivos are finally about to die.

Need to buy a new set of 19" tires (245/35).

Tires I've had on my TL: General Exclaim UHP, Hankook V12 Evo, Nitto Motive, General G-MAX Tires

Tires I'm looking at: Continental DW, Bridgestone S-04, General GMAX (insane tread rating like the Motivos), and the Sumitomos.

What I'm looking for: best bang for buck, smooth ride, and low-road noise.

I've been looking at reviews online and it seems like this Sumitomo tire has good reviews on TireRack. Most noticeable reviews say that the tires are just as good, if not better, then the V12's that I used to have, but very quiet. I've never had a Sumitomo tire before and was wondering if anyone has any reviews on it. Seems like the best bang for buck, smooth ride, and low-road noise according to reviews, but I'm weary of the 'performance' aspect.

The Continental DW/DWS are highly raved about on these boards, but I'm worried about road-noise. I've heard once it hits 10-15k miles it gets worse and worse and sometimes unbearable at 20-25k miles. Seems like the best overall tire.

The General GMAX are similar in terms of road noise (after 10k miles), but has the longest tread rating of all tires.

The Bridgestones I've heard about uneven tread patterns causing increased wear, and high road noise after 10k miles. Seems like the best 'performance tire'.

I would go with the Sumitomos if they were available at Discount Tire, unfortunately, they are not. They are the cheapest of the bunch though so I wouldn't mind getting them online, but with shipping, they'd cost similar as the other tires once installation fees come to surface.

$137 Sumitomos
$177 General GMAX
$184 Bridgestone S-04
$202 Continental DW

With how many miles I drive I cannot have a aggressive performance <250 tread tire unless I wanna purchase 2 sets per year minimum.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
My Nitto Motivos are finally about to die.

Need to buy a new set of 19" tires (245/35).

Tires I've had on my TL: General Exclaim UHP, Hankook V12 Evo, Nitto Motive, General G-MAX Tires

Tires I'm looking at: Continental DW, Bridgestone S-04, General GMAX (insane tread rating like the Motivos), and the Sumitomos.

What I'm looking for: best bang for buck, smooth ride, and low-road noise.

I've been looking at reviews online and it seems like this Sumitomo tire has good reviews on TireRack. Most noticeable reviews say that the tires are just as good, if not better, then the V12's that I used to have, but very quiet. I've never had a Sumitomo tire before and was wondering if anyone has any reviews on it. Seems like the best bang for buck, smooth ride, and low-road noise according to reviews, but I'm weary of the 'performance' aspect.

The Continental DW/DWS are highly raved about on these boards, but I'm worried about road-noise. I've heard once it hits 10-15k miles it gets worse and worse and sometimes unbearable at 20-25k miles. Seems like the best overall tire.

The General GMAX are similar in terms of road noise (after 10k miles), but has the longest tread rating of all tires.

The Bridgestones I've heard about uneven tread patterns causing increased wear, and high road noise after 10k miles. Seems like the best 'performance tire'.

I would go with the Sumitomos if they were available at Discount Tire, unfortunately, they are not. They are the cheapest of the bunch though so I wouldn't mind getting them online, but with shipping, they'd cost similar as the other tires once installation fees come to surface.

$137 Sumitomos
$177 General GMAX
$184 Bridgestone S-04
$202 Continental DW

With how many miles I drive I cannot have a aggressive performance <250 tread tire unless I wanna purchase 2 sets per year minimum.

Thanks!
The HTRZIII is a very under appreciated tire. Excellent handling and steering response. They are however not the quietest.
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:56 PM

What would you say would be the best blend of performance, road noise, and tread/longevity?
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:56 PM
Cruisin'

How long did your Motivos last? That's what I just put on my 05 and so far they are great.
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:58 PM

40k could've lasted longer but I had bad toe in the rear after 30k. Was so busy for months that I completely forgot to do an alignment. I'm dropped nearly 2"
The following users liked this post:
annabelle (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014 | 04:27 PM
Instructor

Have you looked into federal 595's? Everyone I've talked with has recommended them
Old 02-10-2014 | 04:36 PM
Race Director

Try Kuhmo Ecsta on Tire Rack.

They seem to be rated fairly well, very close to the V12's.

Rockstar143 has them. I am considering them for my next set.
Old 02-10-2014 | 08:57 PM
3rd Gear

The somitomos are said to be good. I have yet to kind anything good about them. Very soft. I have them on my wife's car, 50+ miles a day on mostly highway and we have around 15k on them and they are down to 2/32 now. Super noisy especially as they wear. Follow everything in the road. Always seem to pull with the crown of the road. Makes me feel the alignment is out when it's not.
Just ordered cooper rs3 to replace
Old 02-10-2014 | 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ej1serge
Have you looked into federal 595's? Everyone I've talked with has recommended them
I've always though Federal tires are second tier/chinese-type tires. Could be wrong, but unless more chime in I'm gonna pass. :x

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Try Kuhmo Ecsta on Tire Rack.

They seem to be rated fairly well, very close to the V12's.

Rockstar143 has them. I am considering them for my next set.
SPT or LE? I was considering them, but it seems like the Sumitomos are better rated and are quieter then Ecstas.

Originally Posted by Got Torque
The somitomos are said to be good. I have yet to kind anything good about them. Very soft. I have them on my wife's car, 50+ miles a day on mostly highway and we have around 15k on them and they are down to 2/32 now. Super noisy especially as they wear. Follow everything in the road. Always seem to pull with the crown of the road. Makes me feel the alignment is out when it's not.
Just ordered cooper rs3 to replace
Ah ok. I rarely see any 'poor' reviews on them usually most rave them pretty high thanks for the input
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
What would you say would be the best blend of performance, road noise, and tread/longevity?
The Continental DW or the Bridgestone S04 in my opinion will provide the best blend. The Conti will be the quieter and more comfortable of the two, but the Bridgestone will handle a little better in the dry. The G-Max will have the longest lifespan but would provide the least amount of dry traction compared to the others.
Old 02-12-2014 | 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
The Continental DW or the Bridgestone S04 in my opinion will provide the best blend. The Conti will be the quieter and more comfortable of the two, but the Bridgestone will handle a little better in the dry. The G-Max will have the longest lifespan but would provide the least amount of dry traction compared to the others.
I don't think so, but does Tire Rack have any promos going on that aren't with the manufacturer? Free shipping possibly?
Old 02-13-2014 | 09:20 PM

Ordered the Sumitomos today!

First time ordering on Tire Rack because I usually get Discount Tire to price match.

They shipped two hours later after my order... fking amazing.

Can't wait to test them out. Heard good things about them. Supposedly they are the perfect blend of quiet, performance, price, and longevity for a summer tire. #win
Old 02-15-2014 | 05:17 PM
Advanced

i know you ordered already but just my 2 cents...

Im on my second set of S04s. I got about 22,000 miles out of the first set. daily driving, no track time. Sidewalls are noticeably stiffer. My mom has Potenza RE760 on her 07 type-s and says that my car (07 type-s) rides significantly stiffer than hers.

I would like to try sumitomos or v12s next time around. Im curious about the BFG gforce sport2 as well. had 2 sets of those on a previous car and got a ton of mileage out of them and they gripped pretty well too.

fyi, sumitomo rubber industries owns falken. who knew?!
Old 02-18-2014 | 08:22 PM
3rd Gear

Got my cooper as3's today. Sick looking tire. Thick lip and stiffer sidewall. Looks way way way way better than the crappy slap wore out sumitomo's that will be removed immediately .