Stop! Before You Get An '04 TL, Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop! Before You Get An '04 TL, Check This Out!

Do yourselves a big favor and read the reviews of the Turanza EL42 tires that come standard on this car. I have provided a direct link to tirerack.com. Do not agree to lease or purchase a 2004 TL without knowing the whole story about this terrible tire from Bridgestone. Insist that your dealer replace the tires before you make a deal.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Turanza+EL42
Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam I wish I saw this thread 3 months ago. I had my TL since Feb and has 4,440 miles on it now. Is it too late to have them replace my tires.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Dam I wish I saw this thread 3 months ago. I had my TL since Feb and has 4,440 miles on it now. Is it too late to have them replace my tires.
No it isn't. At the least, you can get the new version of the EL-42, which may or may not solve your problem.

While there are many reports of how bad the original EL-42's were, there are also many reports from people who have never had a problem with them.

Are your EL-42's flatspotting bad or otherwise giving you grief?

If you got your TL in February, then you definitely have the original version. You can check by looking at the tire. There is a code on there, which is probably OB6N PVC, which is the old version. The code for the new version is OB6N TU2.

Also, it may be possible to go to a Bridgestone dealer and update your tires to the LS-Z, which is what I did.

There are many threads in the Tires and Wheels forum, which I suggest you read.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I submitted a report. I think this tire should be taken off the market as it has so many problems that seem to transcend brand and driving style.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Disproportionate Member

You wanna know what the sad thing is? These are the same crappy tires that Nissan puts on their stock Altima 3.5s. I was sooooooo happy to finally replace these on my Altima with Yokohamas, which perform much better in the rain. So I was nauseated when I saw these on my TL. I'm stuck with them for another year, unfortunately :shit:
Old 06-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Bridgestone responsibility for bad tires?

Originally Posted by Ron A
No it isn't. At the least, you can get the new version of the EL-42, which may or may not solve your problem.

While there are many reports of how bad the original EL-42's were, there are also many reports from people who have never had a problem with them.

Are your EL-42's flatspotting bad or otherwise giving you grief?

If you got your TL in February, then you definitely have the original version. You can check by looking at the tire. There is a code on there, which is probably OB6N PVC, which is the old version. The code for the new version is OB6N TU2.

Also, it may be possible to go to a Bridgestone dealer and update your tires to the LS-Z, which is what I did.

There are many threads in the Tires and Wheels forum, which I suggest you read.
Ron, thanks for your post on your tire upgrade. what is Bridgestone's responsibility for the tire, and why would they agree to change them for you? I was wondering exactly what kind of deal you got for them. I just checked my TL-42s and it appears I have the old PVC model. I have been getting some vibration while cruising around 55mph, but wasn't sure it was the tires. In any event, this tire doesn't seem to have a good rating and if Bridgestone will swap them then that might be a good way to go.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Instructor

I just ordered a TL, which will be built on 6/22. Do you think it will have the new tires? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rsxbond
I just ordered a TL, which will be built on 6/22. Do you think it will have the new tires? Thanks.
Yes. They have been putting the new version on for several months now.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by rsxbond
Yes, it will the "reformulated EL42s". You would be better served by getting them off--perhaps trading them as soon as you drive off the showroom floor. Many of us believe these tires are a safety hazard.

Edit: Dang, Ron, we must have been typing at the same time.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Racer

How can you tell if you have the "new ones" or the old, bad ones?
Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rvmeush
Ron, thanks for your post on your tire upgrade. what is Bridgestone's responsibility for the tire, and why would they agree to change them for you? I was wondering exactly what kind of deal you got for them. I just checked my TL-42s and it appears I have the old PVC model. I have been getting some vibration while cruising around 55mph, but wasn't sure it was the tires. In any event, this tire doesn't seem to have a good rating and if Bridgestone will swap them then that might be a good way to go.
Bridgestone doesn’t really have a “responsibility”, but they are making good-will adjustments on a case-by-case basis. I got my LS-Z’s on 4May2004. The manager said he would charge me $160 for the swap, and I asked if I could buy the maintenance package instead, to which he agreed. It cost me $106. However, this is all up to the individual managers. There have been reports here that Bridgestone is tightening up this policy in densely populated areas, such as NY and CA.

You should start by calling Bridgestone customer service at 1-800-367-3872. Be sure and get a Case Number. In my case, the lady got my local store manager on the line, and stayed on the line throughout the conversation. It has to be done at a Firestone Master Care Center, so if you don’t have one nearby they will probably find the closest one. The manager made an appointment, I went in, he checked the tires and found 2 tires out of round, and agreed to the swap. They may not be doing this anymore, but it is worth a try. The LS-Z’s are well worth the $106 I paid, and I have a maintenance package to boot.

The vibration at 55mph has been attributed by some to “exhaust resonance”. To test this out, when you are driving 55-60mph and feel the vibration, put the transmission in SS and downshift to 4th gear, If the vibration goes away, it is not the tires, but if it doesn’t go away, it probably is.

No one will contest the fact that the EL-42’s, old or new version, are crappy tires. Acura has taken the hard-line stance that they will do nothing to replace or adjust the tires. I can’t say that I blame them because if they start doing it for a few people, it would eventually cost them a fortune when the word got out. Bridgestone made the tires, but I am sure Acura had them so tied up with performance and price requirements that they did the best they could, because their other tires are generally very good. The Acura service rep told me thay wanted a tire that would maximize handling so they compromised on other things like ride quality, wet traction, etc.

Since you probably have the old version of the EL-42’s, if Bridgestone won’t help you, you could try getting the new version through the dealer. I am sure they are still doing this. Some dealers have been either replacing the tires or giving a good allowance on them towards new tires, and you could try this also, but don’t get your hopes up.

Good luck in whatever you try to do, and keep us posted.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes, it will the "reformulated EL42s". You would be better served by getting them off--perhaps trading them as soon as you drive off the showroom floor. Many of us believe these tires are a safety hazard.

Edit: Dang, Ron, we must have been typing at the same time.
That's ok, you added a good comment.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stewie
How can you tell if you have the "new ones" or the old, bad ones?
This is quoted from my reply above: :There is a code on there, which is probably OB6N PVC, which is the old version. The code for the new version is OB6N TU2."

You can tell if you have the old bad ones by the code, but more importantly, by the way they ride. If they ride ok, I would leave them on because sometimes the new ones are worse than the old ones.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My suggestion would be to try and make the tire swap pre-delivery. You are going to find very few local tire shops willing to give you any trade in value for the EL42's. For example, if the dealer is offering $1250 off MSRP, counter with $1000 off MSRP but you want them to install Pilot A/S. The dealer is probably in the best position to make use of the EL42 take offs.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

yaaay I HAVE THE NEW VERSION. I purchased my TL in Feb. Haven't experienced any vibrations either. I currently have 4,400 miles on them so far.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

i just got a TL yesterday. Will i have any problems or will it be fixed? Picking it up Saturday.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

There is a code on there, check for either OB6N PVC, which is the old version. The code for the new version is OB6N TU2.

old version has problems such as vibration at high speeds
Old 06-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
No Problem

I have the TU2 version (built April 12th, serial no. 42,xxx).

I have not experienced any problems with the tires or vibration. I also note that the Tire Rack site said the EL42s come in H or V ratings. Ours are W (168 MPH). 93W, to be precise.

NB: I live in the land of perpetual summer so I can't speak to cold weather performance. I have not yet driven in the rain. (Take my new TL out of the garage when it's raining? )

I just hit 600 miles so I haven't driven aggressively yet, either. In everyday use: no problems.

XP
Old 06-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

I have the OB6N TU2 new version, it was built on March 04.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Racer

This whole thread is a perfect example of what the Internet is doing to manufacturers like Acura. Some of it is deserved, and much is not.

There's no doubt that the EL42 isn't the perfect tire, and Acura could have made a better choice. However, saying it is an unsafe tire is unsubstantiated. How does it compare to other tires on the road? Take the average tire on a new minivan. Which tire is better in most respects? Probably the EL42. So this is all relative. People say the EL42 hydroplanes badly. But compared to what? There's no objective testing to look at, just opinions. That includes the Tire Rack ratings by customers. Trying to look objectively at those, they don't make complete sense. Why are the lower rated tires worse in essentially EVERY aspect, by a large margin? All tires are a compromise, and even the "bad" tires are good in something, generally (like they are quiet, or have long treadlife, for example - but the tire rack ratings blast them uniformly in every category).

So what happens on the internet is that a reputation starts developing. People that wouldn't even notice a performance problem get concerned about their tires. Some start to notice vibrations they never noticed before, but only after reading posts. Some prospective buyers don't buy TL's because of it. Everybody ends up "knowing" that every EL42 tire is a disaster waiting to happen, when in reality it's an "OK" tire (not a great tire).

Me? I replaced them at my expense long ago with Michelins. I wish Acura had paid for it. I replaced them due to flatspotting only, not due to other performance problems.

The same thing is happening with other aspects of the TL. Everybody's headliner falls down, everybody's car is full of rattles, and on and on. Of course, the same thing happens with every vehicle for which there is an active internet forum also. It would probably make a good masters degree thesis for somebody. I've seen instances where somebody starts visiting a forum, concludes a car is complete junk due to the posts, then goes out and buys a competitor for which they DID NOT visit any forum to look at complaints.

I'm not saying internet forums don't have value. After all, I'm here. They obviously can confirm valid problems, such as seat memory modules that don't work in earlier cars, and let people know there are solutions available. DIY fixes are sometimes valuable. Overall, these forums are very valuable, but readers need to understand that they present a distorted view.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hybrid
This whole thread is a perfect example...
Well said. I was going to write a reply, but you covered what I was going to say.

The EL42s are not a great tire, but they are average for an OEM tire in my experience.

-r
Old 06-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_driver
Well said. I was going to write a reply, but you covered what I was going to say.

The EL42s are not a great tire, but they are average for an OEM tire in my experience.

-r
Well said, and well agreed to. I agree with both.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura_driver is right. OEM tires typically are not too good. If these were really a serious safety factor, they would be recalled.

Having said that, when my car arrives next week, these tires come off. If I can get a trade-in on my new Falkens, fine. If not, that is what ebay is for. Tires are about the easiset thing for us to fix ourselves if we don't like them.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Disproportionate Member

This whole thread is a perfect example of what the Internet is doing to manufacturers like Acura. Some of it is deserved, and much is not.

There's no doubt that the EL42 isn't the perfect tire, and Acura could have made a better choice. However, saying it is an unsafe tire is unsubstantiated. How does it compare to other tires on the road? Take the average tire on a new minivan. Which tire is better in most respects? Probably the EL42.
I disagree. My wife's 04 Accord EX V6 has Michellin tires on it that hydroplane much less and are much stickier in the wet than the Turanza's. It's not a minivan, but you can't get much more common than the 04 Accord (made at the same plant, btw). The truth of the matter is, these tires suck, even compared to tires on more basic transportation, including minivans, and in the specific case in which I'm comparing, Honda Accords.

So this is all relative. People say the EL42 hydroplanes badly. But compared to what? There's no objective testing to look at, just opinions.
There is a marked difference in driving my wife's car and my car in the rain. Sure it's an opinion, but if 49 out of 50 people all say there's a fire in the barn, there's probably a fire in the barn. You can ignore that if you want to, but this is good information for others to know ahead of time.

IMHO, there's a bit too much brand-worship here. We have people getting upset when others speak up about common issues, all in the name of protecting some brand that they mystically feel personally attached to. The TL is an awesome car for the money, but it's not a Maybach, and there will be issues that come up. I'd be willing to bet that Acura monitors this board, and it's not entirely a bad thing for them to hear these things from the enthusiast community.

It's almost like you're saying: "Everyone thinks sees and remembers the bad that gets reported, and therefore people won't go out and buy TLs"

To which I would reply:
  • Why do you care what they buy unless you're a stockholder?
  • If they're too dumb to correctly filter through and apply a reasonable list of pros and cons while car-shopping, then personally, I'd prefer them to go buy something else anyway precisely so they won't come here and whine.
  • There is plenty of good that comes off these boards too, which you seem to be ignoring.
  • The problems that such forums have brought to life have been a wonderful tool for the consumer. Do you think Ford would have fixed the 1999 Cobra horsepower problem unless there was a dedicated customer outcry? Do you think Acura would have extended the warranty of the automatic transmissions on the 02-03 TLs and CLs if there hadn't have been a large number of reported failures, that many knew about? It's much harder for a dealer or manufacturer to claim that your problem is a one-off problem if there are dozens or even hundreds of others out there like you with the same issue
  • Even with the issues that some are having with their TLs, I did research here and still bought one over a G35, mostly because of the value of the overall package
Old 06-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree. Most of the OEM tires on the 12 new cars we have purchased over the hears have not been great. Maybe you had a good experience on the Accord.

I'm strongly in favor of folks disclosing problems here. It helps all of us. I just don't expect Acura to replace my tires because I don't like them. It's easy enough for me to solve the problem. And I intend to.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

So be it. Would you prefer to have access to the information, or go back to the days when it was not available? I don't really get most of your points.

The EL42s hydroplane like crazy. I experienced it within weeks of getting my car, and its one of the reasons I insisted on having them replaced.

The eL42's rating on Tirerack is so glaringly poor compared to tires like Goodyear F-1s and Michelin Pilots and Pirelli P Zeros, I don't see how you can possibly think its not a valid statistical example of the reality of these stupid tires.

And frankly I don't care what the internet is "doing to manufacturers like Acura". I spend tons of money on cars, I want the most information and points of view I can get my hands on. By the way, WHAT EXACTLY IS THE INTERNET "DOING" TO ACURA?? Acura seems to be doing pretty well, regardless of the internet. Folks, help me out here...what am I missing?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Instructor

I picked my car up on 5/10 and I haven't had any problems with the tires. No vibration,
no flat spotting, and traction in the rain seems fine. The only thing I changed is to lower the tire pressure to 32 in all 4 tires per the manual. My dealer had the pressure all over the place. One tire was at 33, another at 34 and the two others at 35.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraddict
... ... The EL42s hydroplane like crazy. I experienced it within weeks of getting my car, and its one of the reasons I insisted on having them replaced... ...

Due to this, I changed mine, too... :sqnteek:
Old 06-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Racer

I just checked and I have the "new" tires.
So far I haven't driven in the rain so I can speak to wet performance but otherwise they seem ok. No vibration issue. Also no rattles, no headliner falling down, decent gas mileage, etc. No complaints.

The internet is a double edged sword. We all not want information but sometimes too much information (esp. from dubious sources) is just as bad as none at all.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Freelance Zealot

hello all! Until today, before I began reading this thread, i was 99% i was going to buy the '05 TL. Now i'm not so sure. The G35 coupe is getting a HP bump to almost 300 and a new interior. Does anyone know of any news on what upgrades/changes the '05 TL is going to get?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by TeeKayWhy
hello all! Until today, before I began reading this thread, i was 99% i was going to buy the '05 TL. Now i'm not so sure. The G35 coupe is getting a HP bump to almost 300 and a new interior. Does anyone know of any news on what upgrades/changes the '05 TL is going to get?
you may want to take into consideration much more than the tires when purchasing a new car...they are not exactly a permanent part of the vehicle. New interior for the G35? - gee, one can only assume it may have similar rattle problems etc that all have discussed on this board. My car is a November 2003 build - interior cabin is extremely quiet, my "old" tires stick to the road really well - even in rain. So as you read all these posts and on other boards keep in mind thatnot ALL of the cars coming off the line have the same problems. Headliner, and memory sure, but rattles are usually hit or miss. Tires, yes they certainly flatspot and I agree, bad place to save a few bucks on Acura's part, but to not consider buying a car because of this is a little extreme in my opinion, but to each his own. Good luck in your car search - hope you choose the TL. It is still the best car out there for the money. Peace.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 AM
Freelance Zealot

Originally Posted by TBone2004
you may want to take into consideration much more than the tires when purchasing a new car...they are not exactly a permanent part of the vehicle. New interior for the G35? - gee, one can only assume it may have similar rattle problems etc that all have discussed on this board. My car is a November 2003 build - interior cabin is extremely quiet, my "old" tires stick to the road really well - even in rain. So as you read all these posts and on other boards keep in mind thatnot ALL of the cars coming off the line have the same problems. Headliner, and memory sure, but rattles are usually hit or miss. Tires, yes they certainly flatspot and I agree, bad place to save a few bucks on Acura's part, but to not consider buying a car because of this is a little extreme in my opinion, but to each his own. Good luck in your car search - hope you choose the TL. It is still the best car out there for the money. Peace.
I'm still a huge fan of the TL despite the minor niggling problems that come with the early builds (especially the first year builds for a new generation). Still, a 297 HP, RWD sport coupe is a compelling argument ('05 G35)...wouldn't you say!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by TeeKayWhy
I'm still a huge fan of the TL despite the minor niggling problems that come with the early builds (especially the first year builds for a new generation). Still, a 297 HP, RWD sport coupe is a compelling argument ('05 G35)...wouldn't you say!
yep. I'd be lying if I did not agree with that - can't turn down 300hp AND RWD.

Tough decsison - or... just buy one of each.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Pro

I guess it was a matter of time before this thread let to a discussion on the merits of the G35.

I cant imagine the EL42s being as bad as Potenza RE92s, although both are Bridgestone.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acuraddict
Do yourselves a big favor and read the reviews of the Turanza EL42 tires that come standard on this car. I have provided a direct link to tirerack.com. Do not agree to lease or purchase a 2004 TL without knowing the whole story about this terrible tire from Bridgestone. Insist that your dealer replace the tires before you make a deal.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Turanza+EL42
thanks for the info. although my car is not used as a daily driver, i must be one of the lucky few since i have not experienced any of the issues associated with this tire. since the performance ratings for the tire are very low, i will not hesitate to replace the set that i have as soon as i can.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Thanks to this thread I told my dealer I would not buy the car unless they replaced the tires. I got $100 per tire credit on replacement tires. I will get either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z - we have to work that out tomorrow. At this point I really don't have a preference. I want something that will do well in the snow but still be fun. Any sugestions are welcome.

-Greg
Old 06-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Instructor

Greg, I would go with the Michelins. I have them and they solved my vibration problem. Several others on the board have reported flat spotting with the BS LS-Zs.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg G
Thanks to this thread I told my dealer I would not buy the car unless they replaced the tires. I got $100 per tire credit on replacement tires. I will get either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z - we have to work that out tomorrow. At this point I really don't have a preference. I want something that will do well in the snow but still be fun. Any sugestions are welcome.

-Greg
Even though I did the tire swap at the dealer, I went to my local tire dealer for advice. He ranked both the Pilot A/S and the BS LS-Z extremely high. Based on past experience with Michelin, I went with the Pilot A/S.

Good job with working the numbers with the dealership. $100/tire is pretty darn good. Don't be surprised if his price for the replacements are a little on the high side. It is still going to beat paying tirerack prices for the new tires but having to just junk the EL42s.

Lastly, if you go with the Michelins, make sure the dealer orders the "Pilot Sport A/S" not the "Pilot Sport" (great tire but summer only).
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Hmm, never experienced any problems with the stock EL42s that came with my December TL. I feel very much in control and gripped in the rain, and never had any flatspotting or viberation problems. Sometimes problems are very overexaggerated.

Quick Reply: Stop! Before You Get An '04 TL, Check This Out!