Snow Day = Bad Day for TL.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow Day = Bad Day for TL.

Okay so the East coast just got its first big snow/blizzard of 2009 and unfortunately i happen to work at a retail store that is suppose to have one of the biggest sales event of the year due to XMAS (Best Buy). So digged myself out of the driveway and into the streets, it was terrible out there RAWR! drifted most of the way to work, even the slightest inclines and hills were so bad ...As approaching to the shopping plaza, there is a slit in the road where one on the right side takes you into another way into the parking lots (my usual way going to work) which is like a 80 degree turn, So heres what happen, Oh just climbed an incline going up to this slit too . i was coming to make the right turn going around 20-25ish? and i felt that the car was sliding already when i just turn the wheel to the right slightly, and saw that i was comign too fast so i quickly turned left and was praying liek shit not to hit the man made island that was sticking from the spit, all of a sudden i heard/felt a big TUMP and bumped off towards teh other direction....

MAN let me tell you i was so pissed after that parked my car in the lot with the rest, and went around my passenger side and checked for signs of damage. nothing to the front end pass side or the sides or the pass wheel, rims looked fine. went in and literally punched TV boxes that we had selling on the floor.(given that this is around 8AM when no shoppers were around the store just employees roaming around..

Going home i was stuck in the lot cause the snow blew in even more and my front were stuffed with snow, traction control off, gassed it and backed off. took me 30 mins to clear the snow. What The Freak. On the highway going around liek 50ish nothing more than that. i felt that my driving wheel was alittle turned towards the right side when i was going perfectly straight??? and also i noticed and felt that there was slight vibration from the wheel as well

SO now im thinking that nothing aprearence wise is damage could this be my wheel alignment?? also i need a oil change as well, B1 Service came up last week...my question is should i bring this into teh Acura dealer to look at it and realign the wheel and change the oil or should i go to a representable shop? I really hate the snow. a bit long bit me need advice on what to do now, bought the car early this summer as well.

THanks guys.

Last edited by HokAy; 12-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by HokAy
On the highway going around liek 50ish nothing more than that. i felt that my driving wheel was alittle turned towards the right side when i was going perfectly straight??? and also i noticed and felt that there was slight vibration from the wheel as well

SO now im thinking that nothing aprearence wise is damage could this be my wheel alignment?? also i need a oil change as well, B1 Service came up last week...my question is should i bring this into teh Acura dealer to look at it and realign the wheel and change the oil or should i go to a representable shop? I really hate the snow. a bit long bit me need advice on what to do now, bought the car early this summer as well.

THanks guys.
First off .. spiff up your writing skills or proof read before you post .. found this very hard to follow.

If the "front" was stuffed .. I am assuming the wheels ... the vibration could be snow packed on the back of a wheel ... I'd have a wheel alignment shop not the dealer look at it if its still vibrating after you clean out the wheels .

I never take my car to the dealer for anything but warranty.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I understand what he was saying
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
First off .. spiff up your writing skills or proof read before you post .. found this very hard to follow.

If the "front" was stuffed .. I am assuming the wheels ... the vibration could be snow packed on the back of a wheel ... I'd have a wheel alignment shop not the dealer look at it if its still vibrating after you clean out the wheels .

I never take my car to the dealer for anything but warranty.
lol was still in a pissing/grumpy mood, i meant the SPLIT in the road. i was going 50 or so on the highway which was cleared by like 8 PM going home and i noticed a wobbly/vibration feeling on the steering wheel, also going straight on the road the steering wheel isnt centered..when the car is pulling straight ahead the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right...

guys from work recommended me to this shop that does oil changes so imma ask them to take a look at it. and believe me all most of the snow packed under the car and the bumper was cleared before i took off from work.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you drifted into a curb or something you probably bent a tie arm or something like that. Alignment is not the solution.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
I understand what he was saying

So did I .. some what ... my front were stuffed with snow front what .. suspension? grill? wheels? wheel wells?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Proud Acura Owner

I agree, days like this I dont even take mine out. I am a manager at cvs and hate when it snows like this. The TL without snow tires is useless in snow like this. I have all season an I tried today to get my out of my parking lot with about 8 inches no go. I finally managed to get it out though.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
you Mother Nature

I feel your pain this happened to me last winter. I checked my bumper and it has a rash and I notice it every time I get into the car.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Racer

getting snow tires next winter@! Blizzacks here i come!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I have a friend that has those and IMO my tires are better than hers. When there is no snow on the ground she sounds like a truck because her tires hum.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

today at wallmart i seen a ton of shopping carts all piled up into a mountain with snow
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

That happens in a lot of places.

At my old job that use to happen and we would lose about 15 carts a winter.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
u bent something and it will be spendy to fix as most likely the subframe bent too...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
u bent something and it will be spendy to fix as most likely the subframe bent too...
ONLY if you work as a body man or a auto tech then you have the right to state this.. Other wise your wrong on all counts.

You really don't understand what it takes to bend a subframe. Subframe would be the last piece of the puzzle to suffer a bend in a minor curb slide. Now if he got hit by another vehicle in the wheel area yes it's possible to have tweaked a subframe.

He most likely tweaked a lower control arm and or bent an outer tie-rod.
They would have to start with a visual inspection if they can't see anything with the naked eye they would go to step 2 which would be a wheel alignment then road test. If vibrations are felt there after they will end up doing a rotate depending on tire condition and check the balance all 4 wheels.

That's a more realistic response to his situation.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
If vibrations are felt there after they will end up doing a rotate depending on tire condition and check the balance all 4 wheels. Or check to see if there is snow/slush/ice packed in one side of a wheel throwing it off balance.

See bold addition.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
ONLY if you work as a body man or a auto tech then you have the right to state this.. Other wise your wrong on all counts.

You really don't understand what it takes to bend a subframe. Subframe would be the last piece of the puzzle to suffer a bend in a minor curb slide. Now if he got hit by another vehicle in the wheel area yes it's possible to have tweaked a subframe.

He most likely tweaked a lower control arm and or bent an outer tie-rod.
They would have to start with a visual inspection if they can't see anything with the naked eye they would go to step 2 which would be a wheel alignment then road test. If vibrations are felt there after they will end up doing a rotate depending on tire condition and check the balance all 4 wheels.

"I was coming to make the right turn going around 20-25ish? and i felt that the car was sliding already when i just turn the wheel to the right slightly, and saw that i was comign too fast so i quickly turned left and was praying liek shit not to hit the man made island that was sticking from the spit, all of a sudden i heard/felt a big TUMP and bumped off towards teh other direction"

lol I guess reading what he said and how fast he said he was going totally missed you....

you do not bounce off of an object like that without bending something BIG AND EXPENSIVE to repair........ask me how I know.....I curbed my car going about the same speed and it was $5K to fix......
Old 12-21-2009, 06:13 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
"I was coming to make the right turn going around 20-25ish? and i felt that the car was sliding already when i just turn the wheel to the right slightly, and saw that i was comign too fast so i quickly turned left and was praying liek shit not to hit the man made island that was sticking from the spit, all of a sudden i heard/felt a big TUMP and bumped off towards teh other direction"

lol I guess reading what he said and how fast he said he was going totally missed you....

you do not bounce off of an object like that without bending something BIG AND EXPENSIVE to repair........ask me how I know.....I curbed my car going about the same speed and it was $5K to fix......

I lost count how many curb slides ive seen come into my job ranging from kissing the curb to full blown taking it on at 30mph with dry conditions. Just today we had 6 vehicles with curb slides any where from 10-30 mph the most "Critical" one suffered a bad inner + outer tie rod on the passenger side with a bent rim.

The worse ive seen curb hit head on passenger side, bent the control arm back into the fender which also broke his axle and cracked his power steering rack 40mph hit dry conditions. I understand how fast he was going, what happend to you and at a cost of 5k, won't always be the story with the next guy who hits a curb. Not every vehicle is made them same, nor will the same issuse you had be the same he has. Subframe is last on the list to go. That's all I am saying, don't mislead without statements.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Racer

UPDATE...upon daylight inspection i stand correct that my body was fine no damages taken, but found which part hit...my passenger side wheel. about half a size of a penny was chipped off on the outer rim part but not very noticeable until you really look at it thats why i didnt see it when i looked at it after the incident. AND Jesstzn is right on the wobbly part going 50ish, had some snow stuffed under or something because when i took her for a drive today it was fine going beyond 60 no vibrations at all, only thing now is that my steering wheel is slightly off towards the right when im going straight. got an appointment to do a oil change and wheel alignment/balance on Wednesday from a good shop from the guys at work suggested. ill update asap.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
thank god it was 68 degrees here today.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Racer

UPDATE! went for a oil change at the shop (snow was still on ground/ didnt want to get dirty) had inspection of the wheel and got a wheel balance because nothing was damage to the frame of the car just luckily a little piece chipped off the rim and had to get it rebalance. once back on the road it was much smoother than i thought. but after all the snow is gone imma go back and do a wheel alignment. FREAKEN SNOW! wish i was in Cali weather...