View Poll Results: Ride Quality of A Spec Suspension:
Too Harsh; Bumps Are Bone-Jarring!!
4.84%
Firm but Comfortable; Best of Both Worlds!
62.90%
Feels Just Like Stock but Car Handles Better.
20.97%
Could be Firmer; Still Too Soft.
11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Rate Your A Spec Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate Your A Spec Suspension...

For those who have it, please vote regarding the ride quality. Also, feel free to explain what else you are running (Wheels, Tires, Swaybar, etc...) and why you voted the way you did. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
04 TL 6MT with A-SPEC package
05 A-SPEC 18 x 8.0 wheels
Falken Azenis ST115 245/40/18 tires

Ride is much quieter and a little softer on the 05 wheels and Falken tires compared with original 04 A-SPEC 18 x 8.5 wheels and the stock Yokahama AVS 100 235/40/18 tires. I've driven the 6MT with and without A-SPEC and IMO, A-SPEC is worth every penny. It minimizes body roll on turns and front end squat on braking. Makes the car feel like a go-kart.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
VTEC HoooA

The stock TL was way to cushy for me, so I opted for the A-Spec package on my 6MT. I was expecting the ride to be signifncantly more firm that it ended up. There is still considerable nose dive on braking, and rear end squat under hard acceleration (particularly evident at night with the HIDS moving up and down under hard throttle and shift changes). In addition the bottoming out feeling that is all too present in the stock suspension is still evident as well (especially over uneven surfaced roads).

All in all I would give it a 'fair' rating.

My wife likes the fact that she does not feel every bump on the road, so depending upon what you are looking for it may meet or exceed your expectations.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
The stock TL was way to cushy for me, so I opted for the A-Spec package on my 6MT. I was expecting the ride to be signifncantly more firm that it ended up....In addition the bottoming out feeling that is all too present in the stock suspension is still evident as well (especially over uneven surfaced roads).
You can't describe the A-SPEC suspension as too soft and then go on to say that the bottoming out feeling is all too present. Your A-SPEC suspension is not bottoming out...that is what a stiff suspension feels like!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Licking Platters Clean

05 TL 6MT with A-SPEC suspension
Ronjon 18" Inspyres
Falken Azenis ST-115 245/40/18 tires

First, anyone that says the A-Spec package doesn't affect ride quality is smoking one mighty crack pipe. That said, I love it. I actually had my car a few months before I had it installed. Handles great and really handles most road surfaces smoothly and comfortably. But just know that the ride is noticably firmer. Not bad, just noticable. Do I wish the ride were more supple? Yes. Would I ever go back? No phucking way.

The Falken ST-115 are God's gift to 18" rims. Quiet, light, grippy, good in rain, and reasonably priced. If you don't believe me, just ask me.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by SBTL
You can't describe the A-SPEC suspension as too soft and then go on to say that the bottoming out feeling is all too present. Your A-SPEC suspension is not bottoming out...that is what a stiff suspension feels like!
First and foremost I was offering my OPINION on the A-Spec suspension. I do think that the A-Spec suspension is soft when compared to the suspension on my previous car (Tokico Illumina 5 ways, with Neuspeed sport springs). If you would have bothered to read the entire sentence you would better understand my point. Allow me to assist you;

"In addition the bottoming out feeling that is all too present in the stock suspension is still evident as well"

As you can see I was comparing the stock TL suspension to the A-Spec setup. If you DID read the entire statement one could surmise from your statement that YOU think the stock TL suspension is stiff!? If that is the case you must not know what a truly stiff suspension setup feels like.

The bottoming out (which consequently has been mentioned by numerous auto publications that have reviewed the TL) is a sensation that feels like the cars suspension is surpassing the travel height of the struts (i.e. it is very disconcerting). Here is a quote from Car & Drivers review of the stock TL;

"The car is simultaneously firm yet springy, and the front suspension felt as if it were topping out over certain road crests, whereupon it would produce a big weave as it touched back down."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=6

My point is that the A-Spec setup helps to REDUCE this feeling, but it does not eliminate it entirely!!

In the future think before you lambast someone elses opinion!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Old 02-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Racer

Thanks the input so far...keep it coming!!
Old 02-26-2005, 01:14 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
My point is that the A-Spec setup helps to REDUCE this feeling, but it does not eliminate it entirely!!

In the future think before you lambast someone elses opinion!
I wouldn't call that lambasting...more of a counter point.

I'm familiar with the C&D article you site, here is their eval of the TL A-SPEC.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

"The subjective scorecard is a little more decisive. Without getting into a lot of arcane discussion of damping adjustments, the A-Spec setup achieves a noticeable reduction in up-and-down chassis motions over roads with built-in whoop-de-dos, which eliminates the occasional lunging that afflicted the standard TL's responses in our recent test. Roll stiffness has been enhanced, too—cornering attitudes are flatter, and the Acura chassis guys deserve high marks for tightening everything up without a corresponding erosion of ride quality."

The TL still has problems on irregular road surfaces even in A-SPEC set-up, but A-SPEC remains a significant improvement as above. Considering that, it's difficult to believe that you would like a stiffer suspension for driving on the street. I'f you are an autocrosser or use your car on the track regularly, you didn't say that. Maybe you live where the roads are smooth as glass?

Right back at ya
Old 02-26-2005, 06:48 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by SBTL
I wouldn't call that lambasting...more of a counter point.

The TL still has problems on irregular road surfaces even in A-SPEC set-up, but A-SPEC remains a significant improvement as above. Considering that, it's difficult to believe that you would like a stiffer suspension for driving on the street. I'f you are an autocrosser or use your car on the track regularly, you didn't say that. Maybe you live where the roads are smooth as glass?

Right back at ya
At this point it appears we are going to have to agree to disagree!

I am sure that the stock TL suspension is adequate for grandpa's and grocery getters, but it leaves alot to be desired for those us that are more sport oriented.

I am sure that Acura wanted a result that would please both the Luxury AND the sport buyer with the A-Spec package. In that respect the A-Spec is a resounding success as it still provides a plush comfortable ride, while at the same time providing a more sport oriented feel.

I still feel that the suspension could be a bit tighter (and according to the poll I am not alone in this thinking), but it is a great happy medium that I will gladly accept (especially with the full factory warranty).

Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM
321 whp SAE

Why did you choose the 245/40/18 instead of the 235's ??
Old 02-27-2005, 02:24 PM