Proper Alignment of 2007 TL Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Proper Alignment of 2007 TL Type S?

I just had my tires changed to Michelin Pilot A/S Plus Sport 235/45/R17s.

I notice the car drifts to the right when I take my hands off the wheels and attempt to drive straight. It didn't behave like this prior but my old stock Michelin tires were also warn down considerably before I changed them.

I looked at the printout of the alignment and everything appears to be within spec. Tire Kingdom claims Acura doesn't provision for Caster and Camber adjustments which would affect this the most. They claim since the new tires are giving me more traction, I am noticing the pitch in the roads more.

Can anyone look at my specs and let me know if it looks ok?

• Front Left:
    Camber: -0.4 after -0.5 before
    Toe: -0.03 after -0.29 before
  • Front Right:
    Camber: -0.8 after and before
    Toe: 0.00 after 0.08 before
  • Front:
    Cross Camber: 0.4 after 0.3 before
    Total Toe: -0.02 after -0.22 before
  • Rear Left:
    Camber: -1.2 after and before
    Toe: -0.05 after -0.08 before
  • Rear Right:
    Camber -1.5 before and after
    Toe: -0.07 after -0.19 before
  • Rear:
    Total Toe: -0.12 after -0.26 before
    Thrust angle: 0.01 after .06 before
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
audioholics i had the same problem when i got new tires put on ... 10k later the tires are wearing normally no uneven wear, but would like to know why my car is doing this ... i have no bent suspension components or bent wheels

subscribing for possible answers
Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
OP .. it shouldn't wander like that ... especially "after" a tire change & not before.

If you have the ability swap the right front to the right rear and try it to see if its still drifting.

If it is .. then do the same with the left front to left rear.

If in either case it stops it then there is an issue with a tire.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
First question, is everything in degrees?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
They are correct when they say the TL has no Camber adjustment and no Rear Caster adjustment.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Racer

yes all measurements are in degrees, sorry I didn't notate units.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
First, there is no rear toe in(-). Specs are 0.0/.30 degrees Total 0.0/.60 degrees. This needs to be changed.
If you notice after setting the front toe, the camber between the L & R side became larger. The specs call for no more than a 45' difference and although the setting is within this limit, I would adjust the toe to be equal on each side and the camber should be closer.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
could be lateral pull of the tires themselves. i had this with mine after install of DWS tires. drift to the Rt.

had my tires and wheels road force balanced (yes, more money out of pocket), which helped minimize the drift.

after my most recent alignment after aspec install, steering wheel is straight and the car tracks straight with little to no drift to the Rt.

if you are able, do what jesstzn suggests. if its a tire issue, then you may want to consider road force balancing the tires and wheels (if they weren't done at your new favorite place to hate (tire kingdom)). also make sure its not the road crown you are fighting. look up hunter road force balance...then you will understand why i suggest this (i hope).
Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

TLtrigirl, could u be more specific on what u mean by tire lateral pull ... i have dws on my car and have a slight right drift as well
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by VQPower37
TLtrigirl, could u be more specific on what u mean by tire lateral pull ... i have dws on my car and have a slight right drift as well
if the tire is not completely round or soft (like the DWS or some of the other UHP tires), these imperfections can cause subtle pulling as the wheel spins/rotates. i can visualize the concept but i'm having a hard time putting it into meaningful words to explain it. check the following links:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/StraightTrak.cfm

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

the dealers have the hunter machines. i had this done when the standard dynamic balance on my wheels and tires (i too have the DWS) failed. plus NTB did a bad job. so i, unfortunately, paid more money to road force balance with the dealer (lucky me...$120 to have them mount and balanced at NTB, and another $115 to RFB at the dealer). stupid NTB. i had vibrations and a subtle drift after install and alignment (at dealer) of my DWS tires. since it was driving me crazy, i had the RFB done (axles were also replaced -bad CV joints-another long story, but those were separate issues which also fed the problem) and now only have a subtle vibration on the Rt. front, but maybe from the 5mm spacer i have to clear the brembos. so, i'm waiting on my custom fab 5mm spacers show up on my door step (hubcentric to the car AND the wheel). that should eliminate the vibration (i hope...).

hope this helps. it seems like the hunter machine does everything for wheels and tires except clean them. after my experience, i'm a believer.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Racer

I don't think its road crown since it does it even in the center lane. I will see what the Acura has to say when I get my brake job next week. If I pay Acura to correctly align my car, I will insist a refund from Tire Kingdom for sure.

Aside from the drift, these new Michelin A/S Pilot Sport Plus tires make my TL drive like a dream. I can't believe how the car handles now.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
if the tire is not completely round or soft (like the DWS or some of the other UHP tires), these imperfections can cause subtle pulling as the wheel spins/rotates. i can visualize the concept but i'm having a hard time putting it into meaningful words to explain it. check the following links:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/StraightTrak.cfm

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

the dealers have the hunter machines. i had this done when the standard dynamic balance on my wheels and tires (i too have the DWS) failed. plus NTB did a bad job. so i, unfortunately, paid more money to road force balance with the dealer (lucky me...$120 to have them mount and balanced at NTB, and another $115 to RFB at the dealer). stupid NTB. i had vibrations and a subtle drift after install and alignment (at dealer) of my DWS tires. since it was driving me crazy, i had the RFB done (axles were also replaced -bad CV joints-another long story, but those were separate issues which also fed the problem) and now only have a subtle vibration on the Rt. front, but maybe from the 5mm spacer i have to clear the brembos. so, i'm waiting on my custom fab 5mm spacers show up on my door step (hubcentric to the car AND the wheel). that should eliminate the vibration (i hope...).

hope this helps. it seems like the hunter machine does everything for wheels and tires except clean them. after my experience, i'm a believer.
thanks for the explanation ... i think it will have to check out the road force balance, i just dont want to pay a bunch ... it hasn't gotten to the level that it bothers the hell out of me, im sure when it does i will find a reputable place with the 9700
Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by VQPower37
thanks for the explanation ... i think it will have to check out the road force balance, i just dont want to pay a bunch ... it hasn't gotten to the level that it bothers the hell out of me, im sure when it does i will find a reputable place with the 9700
i had both, drifting and vibrations....annoyed me after a week and then i took it back to the dealer when i had it (they already knew about it, but we were trying to see if i just needed to "break in" the tires a little) and told them....just get rid of the freakin' vibration and drift please, i can't stand it anymore. they took care of most of it and that's when the axle issues became exposed. ugh. all fixed now, but it was just like, dammit, its one thing after another with this car, WTH?! my dealer was probably thinking the same thing.

if and when you get new tires...go to a place that does RFB that way you don't pay twice for the balance job.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
I just got 2 new front tires. I had 4 Continental's and replaced the front ones with a very cheap (72.99) a tire brand. Beatings on this decision are warranted....
It's still pulling to the right. And annoying. This is after 2 alignments mind you. My casterr degree reading on my right front has read twice as 2,5.the lowest within a proper reading. I'm thinking it might be these junk tires, because the castor on the left says 2.8. My mechanic even said he could switch from left to right tires and it would most likely pull left vs the now right. According to the alignment print out I was given I'm in proper specs (just barely on the front right at 2.5) but I'm drifting right still. Advice? Could it be tires? I was told by my mechanic the caster is NOT adjustable Was also told that this right pull would probably even out over time/mileage....

I'm not real good or have experience with this, any help....helps.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:21 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^can you provide a picture of before and after alignments?

I experienced a similar issue, but I am lowered about a 1.5”+. I swapped front tires right to left, and left to right. Solved. Could be a radial pull, as I was told. This is on a Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, summer tire.

I do have adjustable camber all the way around. And it is within spec all the way around. No excessive camber, and just slight toe in, SLIGHT.

I realize that most recommend zero toe.

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 09-26-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts