Progress RSB vs TL Acura Sway Bar Yes, No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by nokkieny
So your replaced just added the type-s RSB? I don't want to have to replace anything else to make sure it doesn't rip anything, which is what turned me off from using the progress RSB. Not sure exactly what was happening but people were having to weld metal that tore from using too big a bar and not upgrading the suspension properly. Also, in addition to the bar what parts are needed for the install? I assume I can use most of my old parts, but don't want to get it out and find out I am missing something, I plan on buying the end links just in case.
I replaced the RSB, bushings, and brackets. I listed the part numbers and prices I paid with the diagram you provided. I did not get new end links and so far my TL feels like a new car!
The following users liked this post:
nokkieny (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL
I replaced the RSB, bushings, and brackets. I listed the part numbers and prices I paid with the diagram you provided. I did not get new end links and so far my TL feels like a new car!
I am going to make sure I can break all the bolts on the end links before i do the install, I was able to get the bottom two, but the top two need a deeper socket and I don't want to strip them. Did you replace anything else? I don't know much about suspension, but I am wondering if anything else shold be replaced, I am at 110k miles.
Everything I have read about suspension seems to be an upgrade, I am not concerned with improving performance, and I def. dont want to lower the car, I think thats ugly.. But I would like to replace any wear and tear items.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^you're not concerned about improving performance but yet you are "upgrading" your RSB.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^you're not concerned about improving performance but yet you are "upgrading" your RSB.
Maybe I should have said I am not looking to spend bookoos of money just to improve performance, I would rather put money towards longevity. But for <$100 I think its worth it
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
I think what TLGirl is trying to say is go big or go home,
in some instance I take the frugal approach (like my oem CAI rig) but in cases like this, I'd leave it stock, or go for the gold.

J.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I think what TLGirl is trying to say is go big or go home,
in some instance I take the frugal approach (like my oem CAI rig) but in cases like this, I'd leave it stock, or go for the gold.

J.
something like that. more like do it right or don't do it at all. as we all know it isn't cheap to mod the TL (the TL was not a cheap car to begin with when they were new). you also need to know what you want out of the car first before you do anything. you dont' wanna just throw stuff at the car b/c somebody else thought it was a novel idea, but yet you have no idea why you did it yourself.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Instructor

something like that. more like do it right or don't do it at all. as we all know it isn't cheap to mod the TL (the TL was not a cheap car to begin with when they were new). you also need to know what you want out of the car first before you do anything. you dont' wanna just throw stuff at the car b/c somebody else thought it was a novel idea, but yet you have no idea why you did it yourself.
Well I see a lot of people upgrading just the RSB and having good results, which is what got me started. However, I think i am going to do the aspec suspension and progress RSB. I just don't want to get into things that are seen as racing upgrades, as I don't race I normally drive like a grandma and I just want my car to last as long as possible and drive well on regular road in regular conditions
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I see a lot of people upgrading just the RSB and having good results, which is what got me started. However, I think i am going to do the aspec suspension and progress RSB. I just don't want to get into things that are seen as racing upgrades, as I don't race I normally drive like a grandma and I just want my car to last as long as possible and drive well on regular road in regular conditions
I just did the A-spec suspension, Progress RSB, and Moog rear end link install to my TL-S last weekend and absolutely love it! Not to beat a dead horse, but just like everyone that has done this says, the difference is amazing. If you go this route, you will not be disappointed. The ride quality difference vs. stock was not too different (obviously, a tad more harsh and I'm running A-Spec wheels with UHP 235/40/18 tires). I can definitely tell the cornering upgrade the Progress RSB has made too.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
lol those are racing upgrades.
lolololol

the stock RSB will never go bad.
so, if you're thinking about replacing because of maintenance, there is no need.
if you dont plan on taking corners faster than normal, there is no need.
if you plan on driving like a grandma, there is no need.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM

You can do the RSB and be perfectly happy...I never liked that "diving" feeling the car had when turning 90 degrees...it was so bad sometimes the traction control would kick in and the car would wait a second before even letting you give it gas to come out of the corner. THE RSB took that feeling away, I will admit though, I do have Tein SS too.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
lol those are racing upgrades.
lolololol

the stock RSB will never go bad.
so, if you're thinking about replacing because of maintenance, there is no need.
if you dont plan on taking corners faster than normal, there is no need.
if you plan on driving like a grandma, there is no need.
I was under the assumption that the suspension, not RSB, would need to be replaced as a wear and tear item, or does it basically just become worse over time, yet not require replacement.
If that is the case not sure what I will do.

Last edited by nokkieny; 04-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Swaybars are torsional springs, they might break and it's possible but not likely they can weaken over time (lots of time) but it's the shocks and rubber pieces that wear out. If I were worried about only maintenence, the swaybars would be the last thing on my mind. Eventually swaybar bushings and possibly endlinks but not the swaybar itself.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Swaybars are torsional springs, they might break and it's possible but not likely they can weaken over time (lots of time) but it's the shocks and rubber pieces that wear out. If I were worried about only maintenence, the swaybars would be the last thing on my mind. Eventually swaybar bushings and possibly endlinks but not the swaybar itself.
Okay, so if I have 2005 with 110k miles, I would estimate driving the car till about 160k, I would prefer to knock out any maintenance items sooner than later so I can enjoy them sooner. As far as suspension what should I do? I don't mind a performance upgrade on a part that would need to be replaced as a maintenance item anyways, or is a cheap and noticeable upgrade.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
theres gonna be some debate on whether or not shocks go out at about 100k miles or not.
if your shocks are not leaking and the "hood and trunk" test show no signs of play, then your shocks are still good.

its a good idea to replace the shocks tho.
your idea of the aspec suspension is a great idea.
it will lower the car minimally while enhancing the cars performance and you get new shocks!
nokkieny (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Just make sure you put on the dust covers and bump stops when you do the install, mmmkay OP?
justnspace (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Okay, so if I have 2005 with 110k miles, I would estimate driving the car till about 160k, I would prefer to knock out any maintenance items sooner than later so I can enjoy them sooner. As far as suspension what should I do? I don't mind a performance upgrade on a part that would need to be replaced as a maintenance item anyways, or is a cheap and noticeable upgrade.
i started with the aspec suspension first. yes, it was a noticeable upgrade from the stock 6MT suspension (i changed mine out at 50k mi last spring, currently have 56kmi now). no more floaty, tight in turns, firmer but will not diminish from your DD experience. cornering and turns are much more fun. i added the progress bar set it to soft and WOW. love it. the body roll is barely there and the car is tighter in turns. fun factor is turns and cornering went up...grin from ear to ear the subtle drop is nice without giving up the sleeper impression.

SO....it's really up to what YOU want to do with the "upgrades". you will be adding performance to the car...but what makes your clock tick in order to enjoy the car??? i wanted the performance upgrades without sacrificing too much comfort in a DD (which my TL has now become a part time DD). plus Aspec was tuned for the car so it's hard to go wrong with it unless you expect something else like a lower drop.
nokkieny (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Race Director

aspec + rsb is plenty enough upgrade for 95% of users.

the drop is good enough for 50% of users.

IMHO
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Instructor

i started with the aspec suspension first. yes, it was a noticeable upgrade from the stock 6MT suspension (i changed mine out at 50k mi last spring, currently have 56kmi now). no more floaty, tight in turns, firmer but will not diminish from your DD experience. cornering and turns are much more fun. i added the progress bar set it to soft and WOW. love it. the body roll is barely there and the car is tighter in turns. fun factor is turns and cornering went up...grin from ear to ear the subtle drop is nice without giving up the sleeper impression.

SO....it's really up to what YOU want to do with the "upgrades". you will be adding performance to the car...but what makes your clock tick in order to enjoy the car??? i wanted the performance upgrades without sacrificing too much comfort in a DD (which my TL has now become a part time DD). plus Aspec was tuned for the car so it's hard to go wrong with it unless you expect something else like a lower drop.
Sounds perfect, I would say I am most concerned with the car being and feeling solid. So I suppose I am after some performance upgrades, I just haven't gotten to wanting to make it faster at this point, which will come in time. This is the first car i have given any attention beyond oil changes, So one step at a time. I do enjoy working on and learning about the car which is half the reason I am looking to do such things. Basically I ran out of maintenance items so I am looking for new things I can do.
justnspace (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^oh and the DIY...time consuming but well worth it if you have alittle bit of mechanical knowledge, and a buddy that can help you out. my brother and i did my install...a few f-bombs were thrown at the car, but all in all...worth it. i don't have any real power mods yet....but pushing turns....that got to be fun.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

My shocks had slightly softened by 50,000 miles so I used it as an excuse to get Konis. You will never have to replace a swaybar as part of maintenence. If you're worried about suspension wear, I would check out the front compliance bushings first. These rip at low mileage and need to be replaced once in a while. At 110,000 miles, it's likely the shocks are worn to some degree. If the ride and handling doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about replacing them until it does.

If you're looking for an excuse to do the swaybar, you can use the swaybar bushings as that excuse but again, swaybars don't wear out.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
sell me ur type S FSB
i need mine! lol
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
I just threw the Progress RSB on my TL this past Saturday and all I can say is WHAT THE FUNK HAVE I BEEN WAITING FOR!?! This is by far one of the best and most noticeable mods I've done to date. The steering is actually heavy, now, instead of wishy washy! Corners are so awesome, now!

I can only assume that once I replace the FSB (with the Type-S) and throw my ISC coilovers on, that my car will handle as well as a BMW. Except more practical (i.e., FWD). And better looking. Much better looking.
justnspace (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VicTL06
I just threw the Progress RSB on my TL this past Saturday and all I can say is WHAT THE FUNK HAVE I BEEN WAITING FOR!?! This is by far one of the best and most noticeable mods I've done to date. The steering is actually heavy, now, instead of wishy washy! Corners are so awesome, now!

I can only assume that once I replace the FSB (with the Type-S) and throw my ISC coilovers on, that my car will handle as well as a BMW. Except more practical (i.e., FWD). And better looking. Much better looking.
The TL handles better than most non //M cars when stock. I wouldn't call FWD more practical though. Only in rare circumstances.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Awesome, to this day, I still love my sway bar very much. I don't remember what it drove like before, but I do know that when I'd take a turn quickly my VSA used to kick in with all the body roll and it wasn't pleasant. That ended the day I installed this sway bar.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by I hate cars
With your stock small 5at front bar, the 20mm is not a bad choice. I'm not going to say it's better or worse but at least you're keeping your handling balance somewhat sane. The large rear bar with the stock 5at front bar can cause it to be a little tail happy in some scenarios.
Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
If you're not planning on upgrading to a TL-S Front Sway bar, than the TL-S Rear sway bar would be a perfect upgrade. The 04-08 TL Base Auto Front Sway bars are 25-27mm hallow, compared to the TL-S 27.2mm solid front sway bar; therefore, running a Progress Rear bar on stiff setting does cause oversteer on a base TL. Using a Solid 20mm TL-S rear bar should give the base TL a nice balance.

I've had the Progress RSB on my '05 Auto for a few years on Stiff setting. The car did handle much flatter with just the rear bar upgrade; however, at the limit, it would have a tendency to oversteer(ass end come around). Last month, I decided to install the TL-S 27mm solid FSB to compliment my progress bar. I couldn't be happier. The TL-S FSB made just as much of a difference that I initially noticed when I installed the Progress RSB a few years ago. Now the car has a pretty neutral balance around turns and it's predictable and easy at the limits. The sensation of lifting from my seat around hard corners is now gone. If I feel the car is starting to understeer, I let off the gas a little. If I oversteer, I give it some gas. There's no doubt that the TL-S FSB reduced front end sway quite significantly. Now the only challenge I have is easing slowly onto gas mid turn instead of mashing it as the stiff TL-S bar is causing the inside front tire to lift off the pavement if I get a little too eager. With the stock TL FSB, this was not an issue.
Quoting for my douchey e-friends.

Stay strong Austin.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM

^^that's what I've been trying to tell him all along.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sooo Just to confirm - If I want to Change out my RSB on my 2006 Auto TL and I don't plan on replacing the FSB then I am better off just replacing the RSB with the TLS RSB for $40...

I am assuming after reading the 3pages of post that I assumed right--yes?

BTW at this point Im almost certain Im going to install the A-spec suspension at the same time... Had the car since 26K and it now has 119k..so guess I'll see what Ive been missing..

???
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Correct

The large Progress bar is a bit too big for the FSB. Getting such a large bar throws off the balance.

I myself am going the same route, $40 for a larger and solid bar (Type-s) seems like a no brainer.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Yet took so much thought for you...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Truuuu
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
How does the progress compare to the comptech?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
The Progress RSB is 24mm and adjustable. The CT-E is 22mm and not adjustable. I'd recommend the Progress RSB.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...0/i-39720.aspx
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
If it fits the normal rules, with the Progress being an adjustable 24mm, its effectively 23mm on soft, 24mm in the middle (one in the firm, one in the soft), and 25mm on firm. 1mm does make a difference in stiffness but honestly I would use Progress for almost any setup since its adjustable and 25mm for a rear bar is pretty stiff.

And again, to emphasize why we don't go too stiff in the rear compared to the front, I ended up very sideways at just over 70mph the other day. There are a set of very nice, wide and sharp S curves where several people have been killed trying to take them too hard. I had been messing with the rear stiffness and I added a little stiffness to the rear and took a little out of the front not to mention new tires in the front. I know better than this and I had planned to test it in a remote location.

That didn't work because about half a mile from the curves a new 5.0 Mustang started driving on my ass. Instead of getting mad I decided to see if he could stick to me through the curves. Big mistake on my part since I didn't know how the car would react. I started accelerating gently to about 75mph as my approach speed. He was still glued there. The speed limit is either 25 or 30mph. There were no other cars around and the only thing to hit was a guard rail so on other words if I screwed up I would be the only one getting hurt.

I hit the right hander at about 75mph and the tail started coming around. I went to about 3/4 throttle to help pull out of it. I had the steering turned about 3/4 turn from center to the left. It was sideways enough that I was looking at the lane markers through the side glass. It went immediately into a left handed and I purposely over corrected just enough to keep a continuous slide and pitch it the other way. Not quite as sideways around that one even though I was heavy into the throttle. When I looked down at the speedo after the road straightened out I had lost 10mph from the extended slide. The 5.0 was not even close. Maybe he let off because he thought I was going to wreck or he just document keep up. I would like to think the latter.

The moral being the car got very sideways at over 70 mph which is a speed the car could take that corner previously with nothing more than a couple twitches from the rear end. The car cornered flatter but it did not corner faster. If I hadn't gotten used to driving like this for fun and for competition it probably would not have been fun when I hit a guardrail.

As its been said before, for a 5at with no other suspension mods the Comptech is not a bad choice due to them having less front roll stiffness. The progress bar will work but I highly recommend against putting it on firm. You can say you don't drive hard and you just want flatter cornering but anything can happen on the street and the last thing you want to worry about when swerving to a kid a accident is the car going sideways.

Most aftermarket springs actually make the car under steer more so the larger progress bar would be good for those cars even with the stock 5at front bar. Just keep in mind that flatter cornering does not always equal better cornering especially in a TL that comes from the factory with great suspension geometry that goes into negative camber as the body rolls.

Last edited by I hate cars; 03-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Anabolic_one (03-24-2013), Elegant TYPE S (03-23-2013), maharajamd (03-22-2013), Undying Dreams (03-22-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IHC,
Damn that was an exciting read.. halfway into your story, I thought it was going to have a bad ending...glad you recovered.

I think I must drive a little more conservative...

Since reading all these post on suspension and mods..
I now have on the way an A-Spec Kit 202A, new end links, TL-S RSB, Bushings, 3rd and 4th gear Trans pressure sensors and all new bolts, fasteners etc..

So after owning my car for 5 years, I'm enjoying the paid off aspect and looking forward to "re-newing" the drive.... This has been my favorite car but also the one car that has had the most unpleasant ride ( Ive had 3 Accords prior to the TL) - I've went through 5 sets of tires in the 119k miles and multiple alignments... So I'm hoping my excitement isn't let down.
Even my 2013 Jeep JKU has a more comfortable ride..

Will post on my results once everything is installed next week

Big thanks for all the help and suggestions
Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 PM

Well the sway bar upgrade doesn't help the ride, thats for sure
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Well the sway bar upgrade doesn't help the ride, thats for sure
Agreed. But for the amount of roll stiffness gained, the equivalent coil spring rate would be very harsh. Plus the swaybars have no impact on ride quality when you hit a bump with both tires at the same time. Everything is a compromise.
rockstar143 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
After 3 years of my Progress RSB, I am still absolutely loving it. Last summer one of my end links did snap but the handling was not compromised. I did have one instance similar to IHC in that just after exiting a highway (after a 5 hr drive), I was taking a curve and not paying as close attention to speed (I guess I was still in the highway driving zone). As I went through the turn, I felt like the rear of the car was beginning to float off the road. I am sure that if I hit the brakes or let off the throttle completely that the tail of the car would have just come right around... It was a eye opening moment and needless to say I was now focused on driving on the hilly and curvy back roads.

Other then that one instance, the car has always felt planted to the ground and it is still one of the best suspension upgrades that I have made to my car.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

One billion percent agree there...and I have noticed the difference taking the cleverest exit to my house...on street, arresting feels planted and confident but start to lose it at apex...on track, I can almost push the car the whole way thru. Like on rails.

Matt, wasn't disagreeing with you. I wouldn't. wouldn'T was just addressing previous poster saying that he's looking forward to a softer ride.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks a lot !!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
So with Eibachs and Koni's, would you get the Progress bar or the TypeS bar? I would love to upgrade the FSB and rack&pin, but I don't know if I will get to doing it. I don't track my car, but if I do decide to upgrade the FSB it would be nice to have the progressive bar already there.

So given that I already have Eibachs and Koni's, what would you to? I could get Progress and put it on the soft setting to balance out the front or just get the TypeS for cheap.. But my springs (eibachs) are stiffer than Aspecs, BUT they are a bit softer on the rear! So where is my balance? arg.. too many decisions.

Quick Reply: Progress RSB vs TL Acura Sway Bar Yes, No?